• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

arstechnica says "Mole: 80GB PS3 dead, 120-160GB with Dual Shock 3 incoming"

dolemite

No date is rumored yet:
Our inside source of all things video gaming has been right almost every time it comes out of the shadows to give us information, so I'm going to dispense with the back story. Wherever his or her information is coming from, it's usually solid. After I spoke to Sony about the possible discontinuation of the 80GB PS3 model, I lit the mole-signal.

Working late into the night on Saturday, I heard a noise behind me. For both of our safety, I didn't turn around. "You've talked to Sony," the mole said in a gravelly whisper. "Tell me what they told you."

I repeated the information we reported on Friday: Sony is sticking to a two-model approach at retail, but the company won't comment on whether or not the other model would be the 80GB system. The 40GB system seems safe. I asked the mole what information he had.

"Sony is, in fact, phasing out the 80GB PS3. Sony is going to stay with the two-SKU approach though, and the prices look to stay the same," the mole told me. I heard sirens in the background, and the mole seemed nervous. "The Spiderman 3 pack-in will disappear as well once the 80GB unit is gone. In order to maintain a similar value proposition to the 80GB/Spiderman 3 bundle, I expect to see a storage increase to 120 or 160GB at the same price point, plus the new Dual-Shock 3 controller... what are you trying to accomplish with this story?"
http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/01/27/mole-80gb-ps3-dead-120-160gb-with-dual-shock-3-incoming

EDIT: this could be the upcoming (160 GB) model:
* Code: CECHG06 (SPECIFICATION)
* Sony PlayStation 3
* 160gb 2.5 SATA 5400rpm HDD
* CELL Broadband Engine (65nm process) @ 3.2ghz
* PPU x1, SPE x8
* RSX GPU (65nm process) @ 550mhz
* Blu-Ray Optical Disc Drive @ 2x
* Memory Card Reader- Memory Stick Duo, Compact Flash, Secure
* Digital
* 6x USB 2.0 ports
* 2x HDMI 1.3 ports
* 3x Gigabit ethernet ports
* DUALSHOCK 3 controller
http://ps3.qj.net/Rumor-Japan-to-get-160GB-PS3/pg/49/aid/104314

Shawn128

So...is this so they can introduce a higher end model right now?

Or maybe, if the $299 PS3 rumor is to be believed, they could drop the current SKU to $299, and introduce this one at $399?

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Shawn128 said:
So...is this so they can introduce a higher end model right now?

Or maybe, if the $299 PS3 rumor is to be believed, they could drop the current SKU to $299, and introduce this one at $399?

This seems plausible.

kbear

I certainly hope the 40gb gets the DS3 as well. If not, it's a dumb move... they would be splintering the rumble userbase... if that makes any sense

batbeg

ONE. SKU. SONY. ONE! Hell, even I'm getting confused with all the damn SKUs they throw out there now. I hope this is only a rumor, unless it includes BC.

Rolf NB

arstechnica said:
"The Spiderman 3 pack-in will disappear as well once the 80GB unit is gone. In order to maintain a similar value proposition to the 80GB/Spiderman 3 bundle, I expect to see a storage increase to 120 or 160GB at the same price point, plus the new Dual-Shock 3 controller... what are you trying to accomplish with this story?"
So basically: "Extra, Extra! 80GB going away. Mole expects SKU with added value".

Anakinsella said:
release a 160gb + ds3 @ the 360 premium's price tag and then we will see these things selling

Yeah right, and lose even more billions of dollars. Sony would be stupid to do that. it would just hurt them.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
management_kaz.jpg

"All goes according to plan."

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
kbear said:
I certainly hope the 40gb gets the DS3 as well. If not, it's a dumb move... they would be splintering the rumble userbase... if that makes any sense

Too late.

RumFore

Banned
I hope this is true as I been holding out. Wish the mole would habe hinted at weather the 120-160 would have BC.

tino

Banned
I AM JOHN! said:
Alright! Let's drop one SKU and put out a new one! This isn't going to confuse potential consumers in any way at all!

Huh? If you think thats confusing just what you will do when you go HDTV or cellphone shopping?

Tieno

Not a lot of people need such a big HDD . Just put in a 40 or a 60 and let the people upgrade themselves if they want to.

dolemite

I remember bumping into this several month ago:
* Code: CECHG06 (SPECIFICATION)
* Sony PlayStation 3
* 160gb 2.5 SATA 5400rpm HDD
* CELL Broadband Engine (65nm process) @ 3.2ghz
* PPU x1, SPE x8
* RSX GPU (65nm process) @ 550mhz
* Blu-Ray Optical Disc Drive @ 2x
* Memory Card Reader- Memory Stick Duo, Compact Flash, Secure
* Digital
* 6x USB 2.0 ports