• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Art Academy: Atelier comes to WiiU on June 26th (EU)

69wpm

CFg87wsWYAET3LP.png:orig

Art Academy: Atelier comes to WiiU on June 26th in Europe. Artists can even upload time-lapse videos of their work to YouTube!

Source

NOE PR:

With an extensive range of art materials and tools to choose from, anyone can become an artist with easy-to-follow lessons that teach you how to draw and paint

21st May 2015 - From 26th June, with Art Academy: Atelier the Wii U GamePad transforms into an artist's canvas full of possibilities. The latest instalment in the popular educational software series offers 30 comprehensive lessons under the tutelage of a friendly master named Vince who takes you by the hand and offers information on concepts, theory and techniques. Artworks can be created from a wide variety of materials and tools, including charcoal for the first time in the series. The user can import and export images using an SD card, share their works via Miiverse, display them in a virtual in-game gallery and, in another first for the Art Academy series, upload time-lapse videos of their works being created to YouTube.

The Art Academy titles teach people drawing and painting skills on a touch screen that transfer to the real world - just follow the easy steps and create stunning masterpieces you might never have believed possible. Following the release of Wii U Download Software Art Academy: SketchPad - which offered budding artists a taster of the full experience - this new instalment offers a fully comprehensive drawing and painting package, with the stylus once again acting as your art material or tool and the Wii U GamePad touch screen as your canvas. By utilising the touch screen's large surface as well as the ability to zoom in on specific areas of the touch screen, you can create highly detailed works. Gain inspiration from some of the artworks already created and shared by some Wii U users in the Art Academy: SketchPad Community on Miiverse.

Art Academy: Atelier offers a fun and interactive course of study called Lessons Mode where you follow step-by-step tutorials to learn drawing and painting techniques. The techniques handed down from your master Vince are categorised into groups called Beginner, Advanced and - a new category for Art Academy: Atelier - Tools, with the Lessons in each category increasing in complexity as you progress. By completing Lessons, you will become familiar with the reasoning behind the techniques and learn more about the masters of the craft. Of course the software can also be used to draw or paint freely thanks to the wide variety of available materials and tools.

Whether you have created fun doodles, work-in-progress artworks or finished masterpieces, you can show off your creative process by uploading a time-lapse video of the creation of your artworks to YouTube. Whether you set it to one, two or five minutes in length, the time-lapse video shows the process of creation from the first brush stroke to the last. You can also save your creations to an SD card to view on a computer, as well as view your work in a virtual Gallery. The Gallery also includes the Family Wall, where all household members linked to the same Wii U console can contribute their artistic touch to the same canvas.

You can share your creations via Miiverse, Nintendo's network service that brings together like-minded communities from all over the world. Artwork created by others is sorted using predefined tags for easy searches and can be viewed without leaving the software. It can also be saved to the software or to an SD card for future use as a reference for your own work. What's more it's just a single button press away to access the Art Academy: Atelier Community online.

Art Academy: Atelier launches exclusively for Wii U on 26th June, offering a fun yet thorough course of study, a wide variety of materials from which to create, as well as multiple options for budding artists to share their works. Wii U owners who already purchased Art Academy: SketchPad from Nintendo eShop can upgrade to Art Academy: Atelier for a reduced price if they purchase it from Nintendo eShop.*

*Offer price: €26.00 (£21.40), regular price: €29.99 (£24.99). Art Academy: SketchPad must have been downloaded from Nintendo eShop on the same Wii U before the purchase of Art Academy: Atelier.

Official boxart:

KzPLWvL.jpg

Robin64

Huh, awesome! Out of nowhere. Definitely going to pick this one up.

Check out the Sketchpad OT to see what people have already done with the pre-release version, too. Some amazing stuff.

L~A

June 26th, not July ;)

Also, might want to add it's just for Europe, just in case.

Anyway... finally! I was wondering what happened to that game. That was quite the delay.

AdanVC

Finally! Can't believe it's been announced for almost 2 years and it's finally releasing soon. Interested to know more about the timelapse feature to upload on YT.

Edit: Damn it release date only for Europe so far... Hope NoA announce it tomorrow through the day.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
So this is the full Art Academy title? Weird subtitle, I thought this was another spinoff.

Robin64

So this is the full Art Academy title? Weird subtitle.

Good subtitle, given what an atelier really is.
Atelier is the French word for "workshop"; in English it is used primarily for the workshop of an artist in the fine or decorative arts, where a principal master and a number of assistants, students, and apprentices worked together producing pieces released in the master's name.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
June 26th is a Friday, the same day as Yoshi in Europe. Maybe it's a retail release after all? Or is it just a digital release on Friday (it happened in the past already, with Ironfall available on the same day of New 3DS' launch)?

Gobias

Banned
Are Art Academy games actually good for learning if you have no idea what you're doing and just want to pick it up casually?

Ushojax

Good subtitle, given what an atelier really is.

I know what it is, it just isn't a very good title. I bet the US release will have a different one. Art Academy Studio or something.

Robin64

I know what it is, it just isn't a very good title. I bet the US release will have a different one.

Oh undoubtedly. Friends on IRC and the like are already likening it to anime stuff, heh.

That just makes it sound like some sort of Harem based PS2 RPG
Doubtless the main protagonist would be the only boy at the school.
There'd be some sort of evil only painting could defeat...and then it would be him, a lower class student who's a bit nervous, the tsundere class president, and one of the female teaching staff who's "Japanese Old", so, like, 28 or something.
Naturally the class president's rival would be a traitor to the school and serve this world evil.

Also:

Piccoro

I remember when Iwata announced this game many Directs ago. He even recommended this special stylus to draw on the gamepad, which I bought. :p

wiiuaccessorypenscreen620x340.jpg

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really glad this is finally releasing. It was getting depressing perpetually seeing this on Nintendo's release lists. I wonder what held back development so much, considering when Sketchpad released. The Youtube feature is intriguing and will probably produce some really cool videos. I wonder if NA will have a similar release date. Maybe this and Project Giant Robot will both be budget/eShop games for June in NA (2 small games = 1 normal one?), since we're getting Yoshi later. I'm guessing US prices will be $30 for the full game and $25 for the Sketchpad discount. Or possibly $25/$20.

Count me among the people who like this subtitle. I've always really liked the word Atelier.

JoeM86

Budget price, too. £24.99/€29.99, but there's a twist. There's a special eShop offer if you already purchased Art Academy Sketchpad

*Offer price: €26.00 (£21.40), regular price: €29.99 (£24.99). Art Academy: SketchPad must have been downloaded from Nintendo eShop on the same Wii U before the purchase of Art Academy: Atelier.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Official NoE PR

With an extensive range of art materials and tools to choose from, anyone can become an artist with easy-to-follow lessons that teach you how to draw and paint

21st May 2015 - From 26th June, with Art Academy: Atelier the Wii U GamePad transforms into an artist's canvas full of possibilities. The latest instalment in the popular educational software series offers 30 comprehensive lessons under the tutelage of a friendly master named Vince who takes you by the hand and offers information on concepts, theory and techniques. Artworks can be created from a wide variety of materials and tools, including charcoal for the first time in the series. The user can import and export images using an SD card, share their works via Miiverse, display them in a virtual in-game gallery and, in another first for the Art Academy series, upload time-lapse videos of their works being created to YouTube.

The Art Academy titles teach people drawing and painting skills on a touch screen that transfer to the real world - just follow the easy steps and create stunning masterpieces you might never have believed possible. Following the release of Wii U Download Software Art Academy: SketchPad - which offered budding artists a taster of the full experience - this new instalment offers a fully comprehensive drawing and painting package, with the stylus once again acting as your art material or tool and the Wii U GamePad touch screen as your canvas. By utilising the touch screen's large surface as well as the ability to zoom in on specific areas of the touch screen, you can create highly detailed works. Gain inspiration from some of the artworks already created and shared by some Wii U users in the Art Academy: SketchPad Community on Miiverse.

Art Academy: Atelier offers a fun and interactive course of study called Lessons Mode where you follow step-by-step tutorials to learn drawing and painting techniques. The techniques handed down from your master Vince are categorised into groups called Beginner, Advanced and - a new category for Art Academy: Atelier - Tools, with the Lessons in each category increasing in complexity as you progress. By completing Lessons, you will become familiar with the reasoning behind the techniques and learn more about the masters of the craft. Of course the software can also be used to draw or paint freely thanks to the wide variety of available materials and tools.

Whether you have created fun doodles, work-in-progress artworks or finished masterpieces, you can show off your creative process by uploading a time-lapse video of the creation of your artworks to YouTube. Whether you set it to one, two or five minutes in length, the time-lapse video shows the process of creation from the first brush stroke to the last. You can also save your creations to an SD card to view on a computer, as well as view your work in a virtual Gallery. The Gallery also includes the Family Wall, where all household members linked to the same Wii U console can contribute their artistic touch to the same canvas.

You can share your creations via Miiverse, Nintendo's network service that brings together like-minded communities from all over the world. Artwork created by others is sorted using predefined tags for easy searches and can be viewed without leaving the software. It can also be saved to the software or to an SD card for future use as a reference for your own work. What's more it's just a single button press away to access the Art Academy: Atelier Community online.

Art Academy: Atelier launches exclusively for Wii U on 26th June, offering a fun yet thorough course of study, a wide variety of materials from which to create, as well as multiple options for budding artists to share their works. Wii U owners who already purchased Art Academy: SketchPad from Nintendo eShop can upgrade to Art Academy: Atelier for a reduced price if they purchase it from Nintendo eShop.*

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
finally! I'll stick with Skatchpad, but just because I'm terrible at drawings...but can't wait to visit the Miivers area for this complete version!

Robin64

If it has the awesome digital-esque mode from Pokemon Art Academy, I'll be very happy.

It's where you can draw outlines in a nice black marker and have them smoothed out a little automatically, and then colouring is done in nice marker again but under the outline layer. Really damn nice to use.

Also be nice if they keep the "rival" aspect from that game so we can see their hilarious attempts.

zlCfzSIBPXA1aNmIsy
zlCfzSIA9Jco7sN-IR

jariw

First, NoE removes the entry from the list of upcoming games shown at the annual shareholder's meeting, then announces it officially a few weeks later?

Great news anyhow! I know one member of our family that will be very happy for this news!

Ushojax

First, NoE removes the entry from the list of upcoming games shown at the annual shareholder's meeting, then announces it officially a few weeks later?

Great news anyhow! I know one member of our family that will be very happy for this news!

NoE doesn't have anything to do with those lists, NCL comes up with those. That's why the US/EU ones are so poorly done. Devilish Brain Training is still on there for the EU despite being cancelled 2 years ago.

Magnus

This seems so insanely niche. I fear for its sales should it be released in North America. Looks cool, though!

mollipen

I know I'd been asking Gust to make their Atelier main characters a little less moe, but this is way more drastic than I was expecting.

Top Bottom