• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Art in Gaming you personally dislike?

World of Warcraft design and sensibilities - that carries across to Fortnight, Overwatch, most of the new artsy looking "indie first party" games releasing on consoles.

All trash visual's imo. A dev with a vision and lazy visual art style.
I’d like to add the Darksiders games to this list. Since the first game it looked like they were aping WoW while also playing the story like 99% straight which just doesn’t work. It has weird cartoony proportions for all the characters but also has a super edgy tone to everything and it makes it very hard to take seriously and enjoy.

Speaking of art styles with wonky proportions I also hate how every human looks in the Gears of War games. They all have early 90’s DC Bruce Timm proportions in a photorealistic setting and it looks off. Those kind of exaggerated body proportions only look good in stuff like Street Fighter and other games that are more cartoony in nature.

Last edited:

Merkades

Pretty much any time a dev tries to be artistic I feel like it does not work for me. Persona 5, Cris Tales, Tales of Arise, Limbo, BotW et cetera. That is not to say I won't buy such games, of the 5 I just named, I own 2 and will buy another next month. Of the ones I mentioned, only Cris Tales is so offensive to me that I won't even try it (art only, I probably won't ever try BotW due to mechanics), despite my love for turn based jrpg type games.

Woggleman

Those Sony pics are misleading. I can take any game and position the character to face that direction and it will look the same.

Dr. Suchong

For you is pretty, for me and other people it looks like a low res mess, and the characters\enemy design is nothing to write home about it tbh.

High res texture are not everything in a game, but after you play so many good looking open world, botw just looks super dated.

i mean, what do you see here that looks better than the other pics? (other than a more cartoony color palette and lack of details)

jwtue5dhencb44v8qbakmggo89ctvvvd96caxncz4w1a2et3rranaha1zrdnbjvr.jpg

jp-novark-snow1080.jpg

BirdMountain5.png

botw-how-to-get-warm-doublet_feature.jpg

Horizon-Zero-Dawn-Frozen-Wilds-1_4.jpg

Horizon-Zero-Dawn-Frozen-Wilds-1_2.jpg

Horizon_Zero_Dawn_The_Frozen_Wilds_Nov052017_01.jpg

ra6i4gu727a31.jpg

red-dead-redemption-ii-igra-fon.jpg

Days-Gone-2-scaled.jpg

and we can pick desert or forest areas if you want, it doens't change anything.
I see what your'e saying, but to some folks, "Less is more" ;-)

HF2014

Games like Axiom Verge and Shovel Knight. All critics are good about it but these graphics turn me off to play them.

I see what your'e saying, but to some folks, "Less is more" ;-)

Yeah, I agree with that general idea. Sometimes things can be *way* too "busy" for my tastes, and added detail does nothing to address the mess. Simplicity is so underappreciated imho. On the other hand, games like RDR2 is the best of both worlds for me.

But I'll always prefer great art direction to technical chops.

JeloSWE

I love DQ and i love the art of Toriyama but i have to agree about the haircut of the main character in DQXI. Thankfully we were able to put a helmet on his head and hide his stupid hair.
But WTF Sugiyama's political views have to do with this thread?:pie_eyeroll:
It was just incidental but probably added fuel to my dislike for the game. I tried the demo, 2 times, not being a fan of the art style from the start, especially the hero's look, however I wanted to give it a chance due to Tim Rogers glow reviews, but the uninspired midi music started to really grate on me, so eventually I went and looked up the reason for using MIDI in this day and age and apparently Sugiyama's is a lazy, greedy, holocausts denier POS, this just made playing the game impossible (RPG music is at least 50% of the experience in my ears) and is probably a reason why I never came around with the art style but instead hate it now.

Tschumi

I have a lot of trouble getting on board with JRPG art for games set in a present day that still involves medieval combat/monsters. Like, i dunno, Devil May Cry kinda deal.. I also hated Final Fantasy XIII-2, which was one of the best looking games on PS3 but just pissed me off in so many ways, aesthetically and.. .audibly

Damigos

I like Halo artstyle but i dislike Gears of War.
I love FF artstyle but i specifically dislike FFXII artstyle.
I love everything Nintendo and Zelda specifically but i cant stand BoTW.
Is something wrong with me ?

CAB_Life

I’m so done with pixel art games. I don’t care how good the game plays, if I wanted to revisit the past that’s what emulators and backwards compatibility are for. Lots of low-if/ artistic techniques—cell shading, hand art—that can be used aside from trying to replicate a SNES game.

Maogp

All Chinese games that are coming out in the last times. They looks like devs do buy assets from Quixel or UE marketplace, go in the Black Desert pg editor and copy the character they built and put together all this shit to create a game with an artistic and narrative sensibility of a 14 years old anime fan.

Last edited:
Those Sony pics are misleading. I can take any game and position the character to face that direction and it will look the same.
hint: the character position is not what i was talking about. the way the characters are standing has nothing at all to do with what i was saying.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
For you is pretty, for me and other people it looks like a low res mess, and the characters\enemy design is nothing to write home about it tbh.

High res texture are not everything in a game, but after you play so many good looking open world, botw just looks super dated.

i mean, what do you see here that looks better than the other pics? (other than a more cartoony color palette and lack of details)

and we can pick desert or forest areas if you want, it doens't change anything.
Yeah well, I agree that the game could look a lot better on a more powerful system, but I still think it's pretty for what it's trying to do. Pretty subjective yeah but what can I say, I just like it. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Psychonauts and Braid are two of the most disgusting looking games I have ever seen, and in general I dislike the "Fortnite style" a lot of games are going for now like that dumb ass car game on PS5.

Top Bottom