• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Art in gaming you personally like

Perhaps in the same way we look at the latest "photorealistic" graphics and appreciate how the resolution increase from SD to HD to UHD or 4K has granted us the chance to see more detail on the screen and make us believe the game worlds are more immersive, we also look at the next generation of cartoony, stylized graphics, with the key difference being the latter is immersive because it looks like we're playing through a painting or cartoon. And for just that reason alone I believe that games can be art and we can appreciate the many different visual styles on display.

For example, the cel-shaded 3D graphics in Guilty Gear -Strive- are striking and beautiful. Arc System Works first introduced their new visual style for the series in Guilty Gear Xrd back in 2013 and have further refined it for the latest chapter of Guilty Gear set to release next year in early April for the PS4, PS5 and PC.

tumblr_pvqsh8DdUW1y9wx6ho1_1280.gif

ee07e8d87725dd774d538b408c1d8fe9.jpg

And I believe a great art style is something that stands the test of time, a game that looks good to you no matter the console generation. Where you look at the art and feel inspired to draw or go back and play older entries. There's something about the linework, shading and color grading that catches your eye and makes you go, "Whoa!".

Another long-running series that comes to mind with a great art style is Dragon Quest. When Dragon Quest VIII released on the PS2, it looked incredible and combined with the amazing orchestral music composed by Koichi Sugiyama and the series' unique, charming monster designs, it all made for a truly immersive role-playing experience. But you also have to understand that before Dragon Quest VIII released in 2005, the last Dragon Quest game I played was Dragon Warrior III for the Game Boy Color (never played Dragon Quest VII on the PS1). It was mindblowing. However, Dragon Quest VIII was not Level-5's first attempt at cel-shaded visuals. They had also worked on Dark Cloud 2 (or Dark Chronicle) which released a couple years prior and I found it to be pretty enjoyable as well. But for the Dragon Quest series, I always thought Akira Toriyama's signature art style lended itself well to the series.

32831539-f95f465a-c9f8-11e7-8a23-983b69e1a77c.jpg

And really there are a lot of games that come to mind when talking about games with great art styles but I can't finish this post without also mentioning Valkyria Chronicles. Like goddamn, did this game look good on the PS3 or what? I don't know if Shuntaro Tanaka and SEGA will ever greenlight development on a Skies of Arcadia HD remaster or sequel (probably they never will) but if they do, I don't think we would have to worry about the graphics that's for sure. SEGA has some truly talented artists in their company.

1367133.jpg

Last edited:

DonF

Gold Member
Seconded guilty gear, that game looks insane. Cel shaded done right can be timeless, Guilty gear is super, actually looks drawn.

I love the art direction of Shinkawa, the guy is a genius, has a very distinct style.
Metal gear, Zone of the enders, Death stranding, even left alive. His artwork is on another level.

Keihart

Capcom has such an endearing art style. It is unmistakenly japanese but there is an universal appeal in it. I like it so much that it goes beyond videogames for me, it is a huge influence in my work as an illustrator.

Djl3nK7W0AApzRS

udons-art-of-capcom-complete-edition-dust-jacket_800.jpg
Udon stuff was pretty influential, i feel like almost every Capcom after him had something similar to his style. It really hit me hard too, whenever i watch some of Capcom's art of that era, i feel the urge to draw.

Edit: stole that first image, new desktop wallpaper! thanks.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member

My problem with this game art style is that white border around everything... Maybe it has a reason to be there, idk, I'm still yet to play it, maybe some time next year.

BTW, people can say whatever about BOTW, but regarding some low res textures (not all, not the most of them neither), the game looks absolutely outstanding, even technically since I can see so many little details and techniques mostly used on 8th gen than in 7th gen (like PBR, i.e.).

These pictures are not from myself:

s249ns2wgftz.jpg

legend-zelda-breath-wild-screenshot.jpg

Real time lighting in this game is amazing, really mixes realism with cartoon very very well, I was amazed to realize that these were not just some shadowmaps put depending on the time of the day:

botwsw30.jpg

Another example I can think of is this game "nobody remembers", all the details it had specially color wise makes me think that devs were already saying "good bye" to gritty shitty unsaturated mature" look:

remember-me-pc-ps3-xbox-360-screenshots-2.jpg

Edit: Damn, 01011001 01011001 beat me... This is rly an underrated gem if you ask me.

Last edited:

Belmonte

Udon stuff was pretty influential, i feel like almost every Capcom after him had something similar to his style. It really hit me hard too, whenever i watch some of Capcom's art of that era, i feel the urge to draw.

Edit: stole that first image, new desktop wallpaper! thanks.

I posted Udon art but I'm talking about Capcom concept art in general. Love the boldness and consistency of the art style in Capcom games in general.

The artists at Udon are great but I'm not sure if they are responsible for the concept art.

Keihart

I posted Udon art but I'm talking about Capcom concept art in general. Love the boldness and consistency of the art style in Capcom games in general.

The artists at Udon are great but I'm not sure if they are responsible for the concept art.
Yeah, i may be thinking more of Bengus specifically. Like that whole fighting games golden age era.

Last edited:

Codes 208

OIP.Ys4fOIGvP3rXUcee7qnBkwHaJX

While it wasn’t directly tied into the game’s graphics, the artwork for majoras mask is by far some of my favorite in gaming and easily my favorite in the zelda series. I love the almost comic-book aesthetic of blacks and almost water painted colors but with that zany twisted Japanese mythology with a hint of Tim Burton. MM3D went in a different direction with a more Pastel work which still looks really damn good but this right here is my favorite.
The original concept art for Pokemon was pretty great. And it translated into a game with lots of charm despite the primitive graphics of the gameboy.

I kinda prefer that Akira toriyama OG dragon ball look honestly. Especially when compared to the more generic anime look of today’s pokemon games
zRaVC.jpg

Last edited:

laynelane

There's so many great mentions in here already. OP, the art style of Guilty Gear is amazing. I've been looking forward to every trailer for the new game and that's one of the main reasons. It's hard to narrow down my choices, but the games below come to mind:

God of War

5acf4456146e7125008b4659

Persona 5

9.png

Dark Souls 2

15Fate_1407487745-Copy.jpg

Bloodborne

Coast.png

Tschumi

Morrowind, and the Tribunal expansion, are two games that can accurately be described as Art, Imo.

I was struck by a lot of scenes in PoE 2: Deadfire.

Hunnybun

I really love the art style of Resident Evil 7. It's one of the most distinctive looking games of the generation imo. Halfway between an old 70s horror movie and photorealism, it's a look I don't think I've seen in any other game.

It's really a great looking game.

I kinda prefer that Akira toriyama OG dragon ball look honestly. Especially when compared to the more generic anime look of today’s pokemon games

zRaVC.jpg
Yeah, the earlier, chunkier character designs are more interesting. They look closer to the Game Boy sprites.

Maybe also because I grew up seeing them first so it's kind of nostalgic. I like this one too:

aff41419e03259eb21fb514ae2a7f099.jpg

I love Kaneko's designs for the SMT games, both the classic ones and the PS2 era "black lip" style.

IMO the peak is the official art for SMT Nocturne. You could hang this shit in a wall and I would look incredible.

c1800a31e047b692e9a95440b6ec0858.jpg

Nocturne-Conqueror.jpg

I love his demon´s designs and the wide range of those. From cute to fearsome ones, and from truly crotesque (search for Mara) to even sexy ones.

Mabdia

Chrono Cross is probably the prettiest game you could play on the PS1. It still looks amazing with its art direction. I know it doesn't get as much love as Chrono Trigger but I like them both and think it's a shame we never got a third entry.

Never played Legend of Mana though.

Don't know. I think that is for the best that we never got a 4th Chrono game in the franchise. We might get our dreams radically destroyed.

Old Square was absolutely way better than nowadays. And I really don't think that they have what is needed to do a game that comes close to be as good as CT and CC.

Perhaps in the same way we look at the latest "photorealistic" graphics and appreciate how the resolution increase from SD to HD to UHD or 4K has granted us the chance to see more detail on the screen and make us believe the game worlds are more immersive, we also look at the next generation of cartoony, stylized graphics, with the key difference being the latter is immersive because it looks like we're playing through a painting or cartoon. And for just that reason alone I believe that games can be art and we can appreciate the many different visual styles on display.

For example, the cel-shaded 3D graphics in Guilty Gear -Strive- are striking and beautiful. Arc System Works first introduced their new visual style for the series in Guilty Gear Xrd back in 2013 and have further refined it for the latest chapter of Guilty Gear set to release next year in early April for the PS4, PS5 and PC.

tumblr_pvqsh8DdUW1y9wx6ho1_1280.gif

ee07e8d87725dd774d538b408c1d8fe9.jpg

And I believe a great art style is something that stands the test of time, a game that looks good to you no matter the console generation. Where you look at the art and feel inspired to draw or go back and play older entries. There's something about the linework, shading and color grading that catches your eye and makes you go, "Whoa!".

Another long-running series that comes to mind with a great art style is Dragon Quest. When Dragon Quest VIII released on the PS2, it looked incredible and combined with the amazing orchestral music composed by Koichi Sugiyama and the series' unique, charming monster designs, it all made for a truly immersive role-playing experience. But you also have to understand that before Dragon Quest VIII released in 2005, the last Dragon Quest game I played was Dragon Warrior III for the Game Boy Color (never played Dragon Quest VII on the PS1). It was mindblowing. However, Dragon Quest VIII was not Level-5's first attempt at cel-shaded visuals. They had also worked on Dark Cloud 2 (or Dark Chronicle) which released a couple years prior and I found it to be pretty enjoyable as well. But for the Dragon Quest series, I always thought Akira Toriyama's signature art style lended itself well to the series.

32831539-f95f465a-c9f8-11e7-8a23-983b69e1a77c.jpg

And really there are a lot of games that come to mind when talking about games with great art styles but I can't finish this post without also mentioning Valkyria Chronicles. Like goddamn, did this game look good on the PS3 or what? I don't know if Shuntaro Tanaka and SEGA will ever greenlight development on a Skies of Arcadia HD remaster or sequel (probably they never will) but if they do, I don't think we would have to worry about the graphics that's for sure. SEGA has some truly talented artists in their company.

1367133.jpg
Fantastic thread opener, OP (y)

For me, I'm starting to appreciate art direction and visual style a lot more after playing XIII on the PS2.

That game blew my mind these past few months for how good it looks despite it being a PS2 FPS game.

I personally love the greyish art style that PS3 Japanese games have incorporated like Bayonetta and Resident Evil 6.

God, I need to seriously start playing games again :( it's been almost two weeks since I touched a game.

Thanks Grand Theft Scratchy Grand Theft Scratchy for motivating me to get back on the gaming grind :messenger_bicep:

teezzy

Banned
My top 3 of this gen are all real show stoppers imho.

Tekken 7 and Soul Calibur 6 are both gorgeous, and their character and stage design are top tier. I actually have the Tekken 6 art book (looks similar to T7) and I'd be lying if I claimed the pages weren't starting to stick together.

M8NN48b.png

tekken-7-4k.png

soul%20calibur%20VI%20sophitia%20jp.jpg

XOX_000.jpg

I'm also gonna give much needed praise to Monster Hunter World. Top tier design wise and soooo pretty in motion. I love the usage of colors. Everywhere you go feels so distinct and the ecosystems, both wildlife and foliage, of each environment all feel so genuine as if they actually belong there. It's glorious, really. Nothing more fun than gathering gear and making your dude/chick look as trill as humanly possible either.

MonsterHunterWorld-2018-08-09-23-36-54-173.jpg

LCpyBUHO1xyDqZ3YRT0_Oh9nLeK8Gfjl0A8-lboKi4s.png

monster_hunter_world_pc_settings.jpg

Tigrex.jpg

Trilobit

The Silent Age
t7kkvXt.gif

It nails both a luscious 70s aestethic with time jumped future vistas of a desolate world laid in ruins. I love its use of colours and light.
bbQua2E.png

From beginning to end it oozes atmosphere and every new screen draws you in. Playing it on my large phone and seeing it like in the upper image, with black bars, gave me very filmic experience.

Machinarium
d1bRxx1.png

I love the art of this game. It feels like a lived in world, but at the same time it's quite dystopic with its rusty metals and dirty walls. This game too has an atmosphere you can cut with a knife and I was immediately absorbed into it.

Last edited:
the designs of Remember Me are fantastic.

it's futuristic Paris is both beautiful and ugly... and its ugliness is ugly in a beautiful way, if that makes sense

a bit of concept art:
I thought that was from the Killzone Shadow Fall city level (I'm on my phone).

I really like Kena, it's probably the best looking game that's coming out soon:
dudzbeEMVav7cFQiRLMziR-970-80.jpg.webp

I really love the art of God of war 3:
81LCkp8hf4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Dreamcast soul Calibur :
15340-soulcalibur-dreamcast-screenshot-that-s-one-hell-of-a-versatile.jpg

Guilty gear games
500143-gg.jpg

Magician Lord
aca-neogeo-magician-lord-switch-screenshot01.jpg

Golden Axe Revenge of Death Adder
EC5ReFxWsAIjQOJ.jpg

Altered Beast
maxresdefault.jpg

Phantasy Star
fusqijw8aiaeoawb03in.png

Fantastic thread opener, OP (y)

For me, I'm starting to appreciate art direction and visual style a lot more after playing XIII on the PS2.

That game blew my mind these past few months for how good it looks despite it being a PS2 FPS game.

I personally love the greyish art style that PS3 Japanese games have incorporated like Bayonetta and Resident Evil 6.

God, I need to seriously start playing games again :( it's been almost two weeks since I touched a game.

Thanks Grand Theft Scratchy Grand Theft Scratchy for motivating me to get back on the gaming grind :messenger_bicep:
Thanks, MHK. I am also looking forward to reading another game review from you. I liked the one you wrote for Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow.

Baten Kaitos: EWATLO
Final Fantasy VI (GBA)
Super Metroid
Octopath Traveller
Chrono Trigger (GBA)
Zelda: BOTW/OOT/MM
Super Mario Bros. 3
Dragon Quest 8

#Phonepunk#

Banned
recently played through the original Monkey Island. original EGA is the first way i experienced the game, it is how the creators originally made the game, and imo it is still the best looking rendition. i love the use of the limited color palette and dithering. the dithering was a big part of these backgrounds, which was a technique they first tried out on Loom. mostly the work of artists Steve Purcell and Mark Ferrari.

ZRjqHX5.jpg

txTGvjY.jpg

1VsDiI0.jpg

DDsddF0.jpg

8vlBdvL.jpg

adS7pZQ.jpg

bLBIo6C.jpg

Last edited:

JeloSWE

The fist games to make my jaw drop to the floor was FF7, Soul Blade and especially Soul Calibur. I really like the looks of the FF series in general. And Demon's Souls remake is stunningly beautiful. On the other hand, I really don't like the look of most From Software games, way to rough textures and grey/poop colored in general. At lest Blood Born has beautifully designed maps, buildings and ornaments if nothing else.

Kj9gcfb.jpg

Last edited:
For all it's failings, Fallout 4's art style is among my favorite things in gaming. The design of the vehicles, weapons, power armor and the architecture in their version of Boston was fantastic. The seamless mix of 1950's design with a retro-futuristic flair that all works well together. It was like snapshot out of time, but from the future, after it all blew up.

Mkf0Z3I.jpg

1BFBTH2.jpg

UFl25Az.jpg

7UKH3jv.jpg

Top Bottom