• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Article) Life After Death? Regarding PSOne & Current Gens aging potential

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
McNealy doesn't see backwards compatibility as a huge advantage either. "Backwards compatibility is a nice public relations tool, but after a new console has been out for a year or so, I doubt many people actually play older generation games on it."

TRUE! TRUE! TRUE! As mentioned before by folks including myself, it helps at launch prop up the gaps when you're console is just coming out, after that deluge of launch software, but after that it isn't much of a factor.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I think the last bit of the article was very well-said:

"Once Xbox 2 comes out, you should see some healthy sales for Xbox 1 as the mainstream market moves in to pick those up while the hardcore market moves on to new technology. The Xbox brand has been marketed very well, so it has enough mainstream recognition to warrant sales for years to come, long after it's no longer a hot item for hardcore gamers. Xbox will do even better if it copies PSone's model for success: smaller, sexier, cheaper. If it's to appeal to that slow-to-adopt mainstream audience, it'll have to be a lot smaller in physical size."

McNealy, likewise, thinks that the first Xbox should still appeal to newcomers and other gamers looking for a bargain. "As per the traditional buying patterns, the Xbox will likely be priced at $129 or $99 and will still have some appeal to more price-conscious consumers."

This original Xbox's size issue doesn't seem like it will be resolved anytime soon, however. Microsoft will not be exhausting any resources on a slimmer Xbox, or if they plan to, it's a pretty well kept secret. "I don't think there's a chance of that happening," Rob Smith, Editor in Chief, Official Xbox Magazine told GameDAILY Biz.

As for Nintendo, sales of the GameCube aren't likely to continue much after the Revolution, it's next-generation console, launches because it simply doesn't have enough mainstream appeal, says Shoe. "I don't think GameCube will do as well after its successor is out. It's more an enthusiast gamer's machine, and the enthusiast gamers already have one. For mainstream America, the GameCube is not as well recognized a brand as Xbox and PS2 are, so long term 'lag sales' won't be as good as say, the PSone."

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
BC is overrated.

Sit tight and just wait for emulation.

Deku Tree

I find it hard to believe that MS will continue to ship the first xbox after xenon comes out (especially if they're still taking a loss on each one).

I remember reading an interview with J. Allard a while back where he specifically said that MS won't be following the PSone model of extending the consoles lifespan.

Deku Tree said:
I find it hard to believe that MS will continue to ship the first xbox after xenon comes out (especially if they're still taking a loss on each one).

I remember reading an interview with J. Allard a while back where he specifically said that MS won't be following the PSone model of extending the consoles lifespan.

I hope this is not true. It would make a HELL of a budget console. Maybe they could even budget price LIVE for people still on the Xbox 1. :D

MoxManiac said:
It's a factor to me, I don't want to have to hook up the PS2 5 years down the road just to play 3rd Strike.

Same here, I'm planning on buying a lot of PS2 games, and I want to be able to play them on the PS3.

If Xenon doesn't have BC I'll be pissed. I know Sony will come through and have BC in PS3.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Of course, without backwards compatibility, it would be far more attractive for publishers to repackage those classic games that most people obviously stop playing when new consoles come out ;P

The "value" of BC is, IMHO, too subjective to make absolute judgements on whether it is neccesary or not. For example, a lot of people here say they don't care about BC. On the other hand, I know just as many people who consider it a real boon and play those older games all the time on their PS2.

Personally, I think BC is something that should be included as a policy, except in circumstances of extreme technological challenges. For one thing, it adds to the percieved value - whatever logic you come up with to "prove" that most people end up not playing older games, I think it's very persuasive that they like having that option built-in. Also, from remarks I have heard from a fair number of people - some of whom are casual - BC can create an image of the hardware vendor as being considerate of their customer base.

Finally, I think BC is a good control mechanism to have in place for both hardware vendors and software developers - when last-generation software plays on the same machine, a next-generation title that is so below par it seems last-gen, is much less acceptable.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Deku Tree said:

I also remember Microsoft saying that they would support the original Xbox at least a year or two into its successor's life.

Top Bottom