• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Article: Nintendo wins over 3rd party publishers with Wii

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - In the video game industry, the spoils of the console wars come in the form of support from third-party software publishers selling games to run on your machine.

Nintendo Co Ltd, surging from the commercial success of its Wii game machine, is winning over this coveted group of partners in a marked departure from the Wii's ill-fated predecessor, the GameCube.

During this week's E3 video game industry trade show, Nintendo boasted about the success that third-party publishers are finding on the Wii, saying that 19 non-Nintendo games have surpassed the 400,000 unit sales mark in the United States.

"When this generation started, if you would have talked to any of the third parties, chances are they were putting their investments in other consoles, not the Wii," said Reginald Fils-Aime, president of Nintendo of America

"They've all been shocked by the success that has happened in the marketplace and had to catch up with Wii development."

Third-party publishers tend to flock to the best-selling game machine since this gives them a chance to sell more games. This tends to set off a virtuous cycle where a leading game machine will feature better games, which then drives more console sales.

Games that publishers began working on after the Wii's sudden success are just now being brought to market, Fils-Aime said, meaning the third party sales momentum will only continue to increase.

The GameCube was routinely blasted for being a showcase only for Nintendo-created games like "Metroid Prime," "Animal Crossing," "Super Mario Sunshine," "Super Smash Brothers Melee" and "The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker."

For Nintendo, these first-party titles are more lucrative because the company captures all the revenue and profit from game sales compared to a small royalty from third-party games. However, outside support is critical to keeping customers loyal with a diverse set of titles available on the console.

Many third party titles released on multiple platforms severely underperformed on the GameCube. In less than two years, the Wii has sold 24 million units worldwide, more than the GameCube sold during almost six years on the market.

The Wii, which debuted in late 2006, also leads Microsoft Corp's Xbox 360 and Sony Corp's PlayStation 3, which have respectively sold 19 million and 12.85 million units since their launch, as of the end of March.

DOES THE WII HAVE LEGS?

Still, competitor Microsoft questioned Nintendo's lofty standing among third party publishers.

"Nintendo is a great company. It's got a great program, but in terms of the financial opportunity for third party partners, Microsoft wins hands down," said Don Mattrick, a senior vice president at Microsoft's Xbox division. "We're not counting in increments of 400,000."

Mattrick said the majority of games being purchased for the Wii are still Nintendo games, and that third parties are left to battle for the fraction of profits that remain.

However, French publisher Ubisoft Entertainment, an early believer in the Wii, is currently one of the top third parties on the console after committing to significant Wii development more than three years ago.

While Ubisoft was one of the first to see the potential, competitors like Electronic Arts Inc are quickly closing the gap.

"All games are going to be on the Wii," said Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter. "There's a base of 20 million people who will buy your game."

And rather than create dumbed-down versions of existing games, as many third parties were accused of doing during the early days of the Wii, many publishers are changing the way they develop games to take advantage of the Wii's motion-sensing controllers.

"The Wii .... has opened up an entirely new set of gamers that weren't there before," said Electronics Arts Games Label president Frank Gibeau, noting that Wii games can appeal to anyone from 8-year-olds to 80-year-olds.

Source

yoopoo

Banned
"However, French publisher Ubisoft Entertainment, an early believer in the Wii, is currently one of the top third parties on the console after committing to significant Wii development more than three years ago."

Oh pleaze.

hoos30

I guess I'm not the only one that found 400,000 to be a curious (read: arbitrary) measure of a game's blockbuster success.

In the old days we used a nice, fat, round 1 million, but hey, what do I know?

Jammy

Banned
Heh.

But at least somebody now finally understands how well Wii software is selling.

hoos30 said:
I guess I'm not the only one that found 400,000 to be a curious (read: arbitrary) measure of a game's blockbuster success.

400,000 is now the worldwide measuring stick for Greatest Hits games on PS3. Not much, huh? Ratchet and Clank Future, Warhawk, and Ninja Gaiden Sigma going by numbers don't even seem like they'd be Greatest Hits, but they are.

If we look at it this way, just think of how many Player's Choice games there are on Wii. Too bad the games keep selling, though. That's why you don't see the line out yet.

Fatal Frame IV
Rune Factory
Wario Shake
Tenchu 4
Little King's Story
MadWorld
Monster Hunter 3
Oboro Muramasa Youtuden (?)
Crystal Bearers (?)
Shiren 3

These will all be bought by me, never mind games announced after E3!

milanbaros

Member?
hoos30 said:

Yeah, strange, wonder why they didn't choose something like revenue e.g. $10m, $15m or $20m, sounds better.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Wow, Reuters sure ate that part of Ninty's conference up. I guess it was the most newsworthy part of the whole presentation, outside of Motion Plus.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
uhm...so where was the evidence of this support and sales?

The article was more like

Media: How is awesome is your 3rd party support on Wii?
Reggie: So Awesome!

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Nintendo's sorta damned if you do, damned if you don't in this matter, third parties didn't really commit to the Wii at the start, so Nintnedo had to drives hardware sales through their own first party efforts, now that they have been super successful at that it's being held against them.

It also seems like at E3 Nintendo stepped back a little in pushing their own software so much, other than pushing some big titles, looks like they would like third parties to take the lead a bit more.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
Well, I dont know.. all of the most interesting games coming out this year are either 360 or PS3 or both and PC..

Its true that there are lots of unknowns and NIntendo does its best to not tell the public about what they are up to, not even during an event as E3..

So for me, there is nothing that makes me want to buy the machine..

-WindYoshi- said:
Fatal Frame IV
Rune Factory
Wario Shake
Tenchu 4
Little King's Story
MadWorld
Monster Hunter 3
Crystal Bearers (?)
Shiren 3

Arc Rise Fantasia. ;(

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
GashPrex said:
uhm...so where was the evidence of this support and sales?

The article was more like

Media: How is awesome is your 3rd party support on Wii?
Reggie: So Awesome!

Agree

I think its getting better, especially from Japanese developers, but its still not nearly as good as the hi def support.

Great marketing job by Nintendo though :lol :lol

Gaborn

milanbaros said:
Yeah, strange, wonder why they didn't choose something like revenue e.g. $10m, $15m or $20m, sounds better.

Revenue is a harder measure, PS3 games for example are more expensive to buy so you get more gross revenue, but they're more expensive to make. So if a Wii game brought in say 5 million in revenue compared to 5 million in revenue for a PS3 game the Wii game did significantly better because costs to make them were much lower.

Haunted

22421658.jpg

zoku88

-WindYoshi- said:
Fatal Frame IV
Rune Factory
Wario Shake
Tenchu 4
Little King's Story
MadWorld
Monster Hunter 3
Crystal Bearers (?)
Shiren 3

You're a braver man than I am.

I'm going to try to see how far I can get in SIREN...

Jme

So what are the 19 games?

Lets try to list them:

1)RE4
2)Mario & Sonic (Technically it was Sega who published this)
3)GH3
4)Carnival Games (?)
5)Sonic and the Secret Rings
6)Rayman Raving Rabbids
7)Rayman: RR2
8)RE:UC
9)My Sims
10)Red Steel
11)Game Party
12)High School Musical (?)
13)Cooking Mama (?)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18)
19)

Redd

I'm still not seeing the good support. Good thing I can expect some good games from Nintendo at least.

The thing is, the 3rd party games I am seeing on the Wii look auwful. Example: the NHL2k9 screens= arsejuice. I don't think the addition of the wii-remote will excite me that much

Sure 3rd parties will see the Wii as the largest selling console of this generation, but that will just make they shit out tonnes of bollock kicking worthy shovelware games just to get some poultry sales. So far there has only been about 2 games from 3rd parties that interest me, and that's quite simply not good enough for me. But others might see it differently

capslock said:
Nintendo's sorta damned if you do, damned if you don't in this matter, third parties didn't really commit to the Wii at the start, so Nintnedo had to drives hardware sales through their own first party efforts, now that they have been super successful at that it's being held against them.

It also seems like at E3 Nintendo stepped back a little in pushing their own software so much, other than pushing some big titles, looks like they would like third parties to take the lead a bit more.
Yeah, actually they showed more 3rd Party - games than Nintendo games... xD

schuelma

handofg0d said:
So what are the 19 games?

Lets try to list them:

I like doing this..

1)RE4
2) RE:UC
3) Rayman Rabbids 1
4) Red Steel
5) Trauma Center
6) Carnival Games
7) Game Party
8) Guitar Hero 3
9) Madden 07
10) Madden 08
11) My Sims
12) Tiger Woods 07?
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18)
19)

And I'm spent

jibblypop

Banned
I can't remember. Did Reggie say those games sold 400,000 just in America or Worldwide? if it was just for one territory then it would seem more impressive than including all the worldwide numbers.

oops re-read the article.. it says just usa.

Captain Smoker said:
Arc Rise Fantasia. ;(

Holy crap!
I just looked this up and found some scans from late June. Gorgeous! Can't believe I missed this one, looks like an awesome traditional RPG... thanks for the heads up!

:D

jibblypop said:
I can't remember. Did Reggie say those games sold 400,000 just in America or Worldwide? if it was just for one territory then it would seem more impressive than including all the worldwide numbers.

oops re-read the article.. it says just usa.
That´s just for the USA. :)

-WindYoshi- said:
Holy crap!
I just looked this up and found some scans from late June. Gorgeous! Can't believe I missed this one, looks like an awesome traditional RPG... thanks for the heads up!

:D
^^

And imageepoch is the developer. :D

Edit:
double post ;_;

crbowen

Redd said:
I'm still not seeing the good support. Good thing I can expect some good games from Nintendo at least.

It's all from Japan. Western developers, save for a few bright spots here and there, still don't care.

pakkit

Banned
This is the first E3 where I thought SHOWN 3rd Party support was greater than SHOWN 1st party support for a Nintendo platform.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Nintendo showed 3 things:
1. Figures, success. Biggest userbase this gen, growing at the fastest rate of the industry
2. Glimpse of future possibilities (and success) with MotionPlus / Wii Sports 2
3. No Nintendo competition on the gamer target 3rd parties are most familiar with

If Nintendo's objective was to attract 3rd parties, then they won this E3.

schuelma

Y2Kev said:
Trauma Center broke 400K? :O

:lol :lol

I'm just guessing. We know it sold incredibly well during launch (I think I saw an article from early 07 that it sold like 250K or so), and I'm just guessing that it might have crawled across 400K.

Pellham

Banned
hoos30 said:

You realize that because of how cheap it is to make a wii game, they don't have to sell as much as they used to for it to be a success.

360 and PS3 games on the other hand...

onipex

Captain Smoker said:
Yeah, actually they showed more 3rd Party - games than Nintendo games... xD

It’s nice that someone else noticed that. Funny how people like De Blob and Clone Wars , but mention the NHL game and say all Wii games look that bad.

Support has got better, but I never thought it was that bad. Guess I don't focus on the shovel ware like everyone else.

bdouble

I'm not sure how you can't see some shift. Or at least more support. There have been a steady stream of Wii game announcements all year. Deadly Creatures to Sky Crawlers to Madworld and then to the handful of rpg's.

yoopoo said:
"However, French publisher Ubisoft Entertainment, an early believer in the Wii, is currently one of the top third parties on the console after committing to significant Wii development more than three years ago."

Oh pleaze.

Holy shit. The casual presentation is starting to have its effect. It seems that general press still love Nintendo.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Danthrax said:
Wow, Reuters sure ate that part of Ninty's conference up. I guess it was the most newsworthy part of the whole presentation, outside of Motion Plus.

To tell the truth, the most telling part of Nintendo's conference was the speaches & bar graphs to me. In a way, Nintendo is sorta stepping out of the way and letting some 3RD parties step in which is what a lot of 3RD parties have complained about all these years in regards to Nintendo platforms...

At the conference Iwata said:
-negative view of Nintendo has changed (it has...no more "Nintendo going 3RD party" taken seriously now, yeah there's a new kind of hate, but sorry Nintendo has found new success and they ain't goin' nowhere and ultimatly they are taking our industry out of the stigma it's been in)
-called some Nintendo titles "evergreens" by selling year round for long periods of time (this takes me back to ol' NES days when games didn't just drop off after selling for a couple months, they kept selling years after release)
-games/systems no longer just seasonal purchases, they're selling year round (some call it supply constraining to build up demand BUT it's true, never have games/systems sold this well all year long)
-gamers vs non-gamers (that's where Nintendo is drawing their line NOT "core" vs "casual")
-GH III sold best on Wii (sorry, but it did, and that was a big game that was gimped and still sold best on Wii...is it telling of Wii's success, especially with the mainstream "gamer" who likes the buzzword games like GH, or is it telling that peripheral-based games sell best on Wii...maybe both?)
-disrupting themselves would be important to keeping people into it and keeping things new and also to offset being imtated (I wonder if Nintendo's pre-emptiveness on the WiiMotion+ do-dad was in responce to rumors of the competition making "Wiimote killers"? either way, these points all drive home the fact that Nintendo isn't looking to make a new console/portable anytime soon, they're looking to expand what it is and milk it)
-pointed out that user created content is very important going forward (and I TOTALLY agree)

Reggie then used graphs to point out:
-that by March 2009 NDS will have sold about 100M WW (sorry, but this to me is a big deal that a once thought ignorant platform up against a mighty PSP is doing so well *and* it tells me that Nintendo is probably not looking to make a successor for it as soon as people seem to think)
-2007 was not the peak year for NDS's software/hardware as 2008 is tracking even better (again, telling that there won't be a new NDS anytime soon, I'd imagine that Nintendo will want to drive this into our skulls to further prove that gameplay beats graphics in the end...I expect NDS to have a long life and for Nintendo to tout this and the fact that it may very well end up being the best selling system of all time)
-Wii is the best selling, total systems & software, WW and amoung all regions (sorry haters, it is)
-games for gamers & non-gamers (again reiterating Iwata's point that it's not "core" vs "casual" it's about getting people who don't game into "our game"...larger audience = more games = more variety)
-3RD parties are finding success with Nintendo (someone said the gauge of this should be million sellers, but that was back in a day (PSX vs N64) when there were only a few blockbusters and everything else got basically ignored and that it was easier to reach that million seller goal...today though, there's 3 selling competitors and the one who has the most high selling games (X360) had a lot longer face time with gamers & game-makers to do it, is getting more serious efforts and yet is starting to lose this advantage on a platform that took it seemingly overnight...this isn't an exaggeration, when you're cheap game is selling almost 1/2 a million on a system that's cheaper to develope for and now that system's userbase/marketshare is growing beyond their cars'n'guns cap-off (seriously, would unique games like rayman, monkey ball, trauma center or cooking mama sold on X360 like they have on Wii?) then yes the industry will take notice)
-Wii has a larger library (something I didn't really know and this is telling too...yeah sure, half will be instantly ignored as "casual" tripe, but it's still more games than Nintendo has ever gotten AND more then their current competitors...larger audience = more games = more variety...yeah there's tons of shovelware that sucks, but the bigger the library the better chances for a gem (see: NES, SNES, PSX & PS2))

Even the wicked soccer mom of the West Cammie had stuff to point out:
-female gamers are growing (sorry boys, this IS a good thing if just to help break out of the cars'n'guns stuff)
-3RD party games like GH, Spore & GTA are coming now (which means 3RD parties are taking the platform seriously like they will someday take Wii seriously and not only that, these are WESTERN 3RD parties at that)
-NDS will expand beyond games (again, another point to NDS's life expectancy)

Watch the conference, not with just "gamer" eyes, but seeing the future of Nintendo platforms having huge sales, big libraries of many types of games, helping our hobby survive and thrive, keeping things CHEAP and ultimatly a long life which is a good investment in the end.

Top Bottom