• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As a PlayStation player, I feel concerned about the future

nbkicker

The difference at the min is sony has stopped buying exclusives and is now concentrating on buying marketing and advertising rights, so they spending money advertising the games upto launch etc, the only downside is the games are still coming to xbox and pc. for me multiplatform games are now only on my pc and ps5 only used for first party games, just a shame my ps5 collecting dust as there is no first party games im wanting to play at the min

feynoob

Banned
I think the ABK deal still looms in theirs decisions. That power play from MS will still ripple into the future for a long time.
The moment money decided to join the party, all the small fights became meaningless.

MS showed Sony that they can simply buy success easily and don't have to build a huge games like them.

Zenimax/Bethesda is example of a power move like that. MS will get starfield as exclusive game, even though they didn't make that game.

Ar¢tos

It probably did more harm than good tho. Not worth it.
Nah, we represent a tiny portion of their userbase. The casuals surely got all excited for the shitty GaaS games, the vaporware Phantom Blade (might as well start calling it vaporware because we know it will never be released just like Lost Soul Aside) and Spider-Boring 2.

I enjoyed it for the indies, lots of great indies announced.

You said first party and i said it's not, because it's yet another moneyhatted 3rd party. You can get excited about whatever you want.

Sony barely had any 3rd party exclusives. That narrative is actually way overstated. I bet we'll see the term "console launch exclusive" many times at the xbox show. Was anything outside of final fantasy even exclusive to PS from 3rd parties? It was all multiplatform stuff. Even MGS3

Last edited:

Fabieter

Nah, we represent a tiny portion of their userbase. The casuals surely got all excited for the shitty GaaS games, the vaporware Phantom Blade (might as well start calling it vaporware because we know it will never be released just like Lost Soul Aside) and Spider-Boring 2.

Casuals get excited for meaningless cgi trailers. Even if you are totally into gaas hoe would you get excited for that. The news was basically devs developing games without any further information at least for their gaas showings.

feynoob

Banned
Just like the cowboy's, it's always Microsoft's year.... every year.
It could be that Sony allowed them.

Hell blade 2, starfield and avowed gameplay is enough for that. Plus stalker 2 release date.

That is enough for Xbox to have a good year, after disappointing year.

Btw since media use to complain about all the white male leads in games am I allowed to now complain about it seeming like every game has a POC female character usually with colored hair or some shit? It's getting real old. Not sure why we can't have a balance here

Hell blade 2, starfield and avowed gameplay is enough for that. Plus stalker 2 release date.

I don't think Sony allowed Xbox to have a good year. If Xbox has a good year it will be due to them doing well and not the competition failing. I wouldn't give Sony any credit if Xbox managed to do well with their 1st party studios.

Ar¢tos

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony did some surprise big reveals right after Xbox showcase.

Showcase before to please indie devs, big surprise reveal(s) after.

The sudden tone shift from fanboys is quite a sight to behold.
gqU3EYl.png
You mean to say that blue fanboys are actually much more realistic than green fanboys? At least they have the capacity to notice that bad things equal bad things even if it’s their preferred platform, unlike the other side who are still playing around between Phil’s buttocks

Fabieter

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony did some surprise big reveals right after Xbox showcase.

Do you think? If that was me planning this I would definitely start with a state of play kinda thing and than go with a big fucking showcase after everyone else finished to blow every other publisher away. That it for now me thinks tho.

feynoob

Banned

The showcase was for their first party games.
Showing it after Xbox event devalues their showcase event. I don't think Sony will do that.

Though they might do couple of trailers during goty event.

mrmustard

Banned
Sony barely had any 3rd party exclusives. That narrative is actually way overstated. I bet we'll see the term "console launch exclusive" many times at the xbox show. Was anything outside of final fantasy even exclusive to PS from 3rd parties? It was all multiplatform stuff. Even MGS3
Never said this is a Sony only thing. Microsoft has Stalker 2, Scorn and some smaller games i think.
Sony has Kena, that cat game, Ghostwire Tokio, Forspoken, Silent Hill 2 Remake, Deathloop, The Star Wars game, FF16 and some smaller games i think.
Nintendo, no idea if they do this.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm starting to wonder if his start as the CEO of Playstation in 2019 is starting to show. I think me and others were incorrect to give him credit for the last 4 years. Most of that stuff was already in the oven when he took over.
This is exactly what I said months ago, everything that's rolled out was planned years ago, the only thing Jim & Hermen has produced are PC port's ( not that it's a bad thing) and accessories.
But with them PS5 is on the back burner

I'm not allergic to GaaS as some of you here, but I do think it's a bit of a dumb thing to focus so much on them.

It's such an obvious dull marketing strategy where they looked at the numbers of the biggest success games out there and going to chase the trend. But not in a careful or focused way, but throwing shit against a wall and seeing what sticks. 'Let's make 10 of them and if 8 of them fail and 2 have great success we are still ending up positive.'

feynoob

Banned
I'm not allergic to GaaS as some of you here, but I do think it's a bit of a dumb thing to focus so much on them.

It's such an obvious dull marketing strategy where they looked at the numbers of the biggest success games out there and going to chase the trend. But not in a careful or focused way, but throwing shit against a wall and seeing what sticks. 'Let's make 10 of them and if 8 of them fail and 2 have great success we are still ending up positive.'
I wonder why shooter games specifically?
There are MMO games which Sony can make. That would have been a better option than a useless live service game that will die in the first month.

Came in, and the only thing that I’m excited for is marvel’s Spider-Man 2. not much of what was shown really caught my eye except for dragon’s dogma 2. Overall this live service shit dump is really concerning. the only one I can see out of the bunch succeeding is marathon maybe and whatever naughty dog is working on. the rest will crash and burn in a fiery explosion. seriously no point in devoting this much time, money and resources into Fortnite wannabe nut chasers.

Banjo64

cumsessed
You know what, davidjaffe davidjaffe made a comment in his Redfall video.

Shu would not be rude. But if he played something shit he’d be like ‘this is not good’.

And devs would shit themselves and strive for more so the next time he rocked up, they could present him with something worthy of his time.

Does Herman Hulst have the stones to rock up at any Sony first party studio and say that? No.

GHG

It is, but it’s better than going to bat for a mega-corp.

Exactly. And I'm glad to see the reaction has been what it has been from people who are invested in the playstation ecosystem. If this isn't what people want then everyone should make it known, early. Not sit here and pretend everything is fine and defend crap for a decade, allowing it to fester (not naming names but everyone knows what I'm talking about).

Soon we will fight Ryan and Hulst in the streets.

excited war GIF by Bud Light

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

I actually recently sold my PS5. Used the cash for new 4070. I'd buy a revised model if full BC was ever on the cards though.

From PS4 onwards, Sony are different. Gone are the quirky interesting games (outside of Astro Bot). It's all AAA and GAAS focused going forwards and not even in an original way - it looks focus group driven.. I've become less and less interested.

kyussman

There was certainly a strong case of 'the Fortnite effect' in many of those games.......that's gaming though I guess,everyone wants to be the next live service game that blows up and makes them a fortune.I'm certainly too old for that shit......looks like I may sit the entire gen out.They even managed to make Spider-Man 2 look like something I don't think I want to play and I enjoyed the first one.....now there are two of them and ones an annoying fucking kid,no thanks.....and that villain looked boring as fuck,big muscles guy.....really?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Some of you guys have this "what have you done for me lately" mentality forgetting the track record.

If a company doesn't blow their load in one showing it means they have other shows to cover the breath of stuff they're working on.

And if it happens not to align with your preference then that mean something like the streaming device or even a PSP or VR device isn't for you.

It's going to be ok. Breath.

yurinka

I'm 'concerned' because I don't have enough time and money to play all the great games that are released. Even the ones released on PS alone.

And will continue being the case during at least this or next year because I saw many great games shown in the showcase plus many more that also are coming, announced or not.

Last edited:
I think people are right to be concerned, big boy Jimbo outlined PlayStation's push towards GaaS not too long ago and that, is indeed concerning. GaaS didn't make PlayStation what it is, Story driven single player games did and I would consider it naive to shy away from what made the platform desirable in the first place.

All things considered, this was just a glimpse of what the Jim/Hermen era of PlayStation holds. I wholeheartedly doubt that what they had shown, was everything. Undoubtedly the bigger games and high budget single player titles are still under wraps. What people wanted, was a showcase. And that's what they got. Will people react the same way if team Green's showcase is overshadowed by Indies and only very few first party games?

I'm pretty sure they too have a bunch of GaaS titles planned, because that's where today's young gaming society is headed (Gen Z's & Millennials) and that's where the big corpos are aiming to go, alongside a bigger push to mobile gaming, because that's where the money is.

Last edited:

DarthPutin

The melodrama over GAAS is exagerrated. We knew for years that Haven and FireWalk were working on Multi-Player titles.

More reasonable concern is how long we'll have to wait for next 1Party single-player games after Spider-Man II. Will they have new showcase this time of next year to re-introduce Death Stranding and something else?

@ feynoob feynoob I do think they will finally have a good presenation (looking forward to it, hoping for Avowed). The sheer force of gravity is dragging them towards finally releasing some games. HB2 will look amazing, StarField will be big, and hopefully Avowed looks nice and comes soon. I am always starving for fantasy RPGs. I'd love a glimpse of Fable.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Lol I didn’t think the showing was as bad as some of you make it seem.

Some really exciting games were shown. Just because they were not exclusive doesn’t mean they “ don’t count “

Unfortunately I suspect that at this point Sony's core fanbase isn't angry boomers on online message boards, but people who buy full-priced live service games like CoD and Fifa every year, own GTA 5 on PS3, PS4 and PS5 and spend money on MTX for all of them.

Fatmanp

The likelihood of any of these GaaS games hitting is quite low. Any success is likely to be short lived as people go back to their main GaaS game after a few weeks.

I remember the events where before the trailers were shown there was a tagline ‘captured directly from a PS5’ or ps4 I can’t remember now, to ‘not actual gameplay’ lol how times have changed.

Even casuals thought this showcase was weak. Probably not as disappointed as us but they defo noticed the lack of.

I really hoped to see Santa Monica’s game, Bluepoint’s game, Bend’s game, and Silent Hill stuff, primarily Silent Hill: The Short Message, which was already rated. NOTHING.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Unfortunately I suspect that at this point Sony's core fanbase isn't angry boomers on online message boards, but people who buy full-priced live service games like CoD and Fifa every year, own GTA 5 on PS3, PS4 and PS5 and spend money on MTX for all of them.
Writing was on the wall when they moved to Cali and closed Japan Studios. This is the NormieStation now.

oji-san

Banned
As a PlayStation player i feel confident that there will be many great games i will enjoy from their studios. :)

Rac3r

I mean people have been complaining about Sony being too formulaic with their first party output (third person, single player action games) and now that they're shaking things up, people are still complaining (rightfully so). However, I do think it's a reasonable business decision to branch out into multiplayer and live service games rather than relying heavily on third party. Sony knows day one single player games like Spiderman, TLOU, and God of War is what sets them apart from PC and Xbox, so that's not going away.

Don't get me wrong, that showcase was absolute dogshit after nearly 2 years, but the live service stuff is just a growth strategy, not a replacement for quality single player games. Remember, FF16 and Spiderman 2 are right around the corner.

kaizenkko

I'm completely disappointed. Those events never are what we think it'll be, but this "showcase" was disastrous.

And yes, I'm very concerned with this new approach from Sony.

kaizenkko

I mean people have been complaining about Sony being too formulaic with their first party output (third person, single player action games) and now that they're shaking things up, people are still complaining (rightfully so). However, I do think it's a reasonable business decision to branch out into multiplayer and live service games rather than relying heavily on third party. Sony knows day one single player games like Spiderman, TLOU, and God of War is what sets them apart from PC and Xbox, so that's not going away.

Don't get me wrong, that showcase was absolute dogshit after nearly 2 years, but the live service stuff is just a growth strategy, not a replacement for quality single player games. Remember, FF16 and Spiderman 2 are right around the corner.
The point is: where are their next single player projects? Besides Spider-Man and Wolverine, we don't know about nothing. Who guarantee they will keep doing great single player games? After yesterday, I can't say I'm confident in Sony/Playstation.

BbMajor7th

Btw since media use to complain about all the white male leads in games am I allowed to now complain about it seeming like every game has a POC female character usually with colored hair or some shit? It's getting real old. Not sure why we can't have a balance here
I was always in favour of diversity - what we seem to have gotten is a different flavour of homogeneity, not just in terms of representation, but also aesthetics. I feel like 2017-present should be dubbed Generation Magenta.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

The point is: where are their next single player projects? Besides Spider-Man and Wolverine, we don't know about nothing. Who guarantee they will keep doing great single player games? After yesterday, I can't say I'm confident in Sony/Playstation.
Just play multiplatforms like normal people. Theres no shortage of those to look forward to.

Top Bottom