• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As Dusk Fall - Launch Date trailer

Ozzie666

They really felt the need to have some talk the game up, which created a huge disconnect and made the disappointing low point even more so.

The jumps, cuts and fades...is that how the whole game will be?

Seems like it. They did say it was "gameplay". I was expecting something at least closer to a Life is Strange or Tell Me Why; this 'gameplay' is just a sequence of storyboards. Choose-Your-Own-Adventure style multiple choice answers, the kind of stuff that was cutting edge in Sega CD or 3DO FMV games.

I still can't believe this is the gameplay. I must've misheard. If there's some actual gameplay they showed, someone please point me to it.

EruditeHobo

One of the more interesting things on show today, for me... but will heavily depend on things like plot & characterization.

Either way, for now I'm interested.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

LhVacap.jpg

Allandor

The jumps, cuts and fades...is that how the whole game will be?
The game has its own style and that is one big point of that. people are comic-like while objects move. It is somehow .... unique ...

I'm a bit unsure if those characters photos of real people with a "oil-filter" or drawn characters. They have so many details but on the other hand, my brain could just be the one that just recognizes real people because the pictures are good enough to recreate those characters in the mind.

reksveks

The game has its own style and that is one big point of that. people are comic-like while objects move. It is somehow .... unique ...

I'm a bit unsure if those characters photos of real people with a "oil-filter" or drawn characters. They have so many details but on the other hand, my brain could just be the one that just recognizes real people because the pictures are good enough to recreate those characters in the mind.
They record the actors and then basically draw them from the reference images.

There is a bit more insight in the Tribeca stream.

reksveks

https://www.gamesradar.com/as-dusk-...tm_campaign=socialflow&utm_content=gamesradar

If Marchal and I disagreed, however, As Dusk Falls has mechanics in place to rectify that. Between two players, it will randomly select one of our choices. Each player also gets a few override options for every section, so if you feel really strongly about a decision and the team decides otherwise, you can come in with the ultimate trump card. Just imagine how that will play out: you're faced with the choice of taking a gun from someone during a tense standoff or doing nothing, and your friend (perhaps a notorious wild card) wants to snatch it out of their hands. You, however, want to play it cool, and your choice is selected randomly – but your wild card friend comes in and overrides your choice. As Dusk Falls labels these decisions a "Crossroad" choice, one that will have major consequences on how the rest of the story plays out, and your friend just threw a narrative hand grenade into the mix.

Naked Lunch

Interesting it can be played with 8 players. I wonder how that works.
Refreshing to see something thats not a 3rd person horror game or FPS that's all the rage these days.

So they showed more gameplay today and...uh....yeah. Not what I was expecting at all. Animated storyboard slides, I don't see that being a good thing for a game that's primarily been advertised for a cutting-edge current-gen games console.

The multiplayer part looks fun, tho Until Dawn had something like it too. I guess it's a good thing it's in GamePass because I can't see it selling much of anything with its presentation style otherwise. Maybe the story is good, if simple-looking. If there were more of an actual game here, something closer to a Life is Strange but with the artstyle they've shown so far, it'd go a lot further as an IP and for the studio as well.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Pre load is up on Xbox, 50 fucking GB.

Looks like this game uses a hell of a lot of video files cause those flapping jpegs sure can't take up that much space.

reksveks

Pre load is up on Xbox, 50 fucking GB.

Looks like this game uses a hell of a lot of video files cause those flapping jpegs sure can't take up that much space.
Reminds of the day where audio was uncompressed files and fucking huge. Will preload on my series s when I get a chance.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

As Dusk Falls is an original interactive drama. Experience solo or multiplayer up to 8 people while making choices that impact characters’ lives in this uncompromising story of betrayal, sacrifice, and resilience.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Its pretty good. Im into it. Chapter 1 has a lot of choices. Art style actually looks great.

The choice map in between chapters is great.

Last edited:
Top Bottom