• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As if current chip shortage is not bad enough, Russia-Ukraine conflict could worsen the situation even more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russia-Ukraine Conflict Could See Chip Material Prices Spike 600%​

The US government has warned domestic chipmakers that they could face a materials supply crunch, reports Reuters, citing "people familiar with the matter." The warning is based on worries about the potential for conflict between Russia and Ukraine. If Russia does make military advances, there will almost certainly be impacts on industries in Ukraine. Moreover, US sanctions will be implemented on Russia, likely exacerbating supply issues.

Some concerning numbers, highlighting the reliance of the US chipmaking industry on Russia/Ukraine-based materials, are shared by the source. For example, market research group Techcet says that 90% of US semiconductor-grade neon supplies come from Ukraine, while 35% of US palladium is sourced from Russia. In addition, other vital materials like C4F6, Helium, and Scandium also come from the potential flashpoint region.

During the Last Military Clash Between Russia and Ukraine, Neon Prices Rose by Nearly 600%​

White House tells Chip Industry to Brace for Russian Supply Disruptions

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

The current moves to secure the chip supply chain should have happened many years ago. On China and Taiwan alone the risk was always there. Starting to build now only adds capacity for 2025+.

And this is about so much more than consoles, chips are in everything from cars to medical devices, obviously the direct human cost of the conflict is the biggest thing but the repercussions are far and wide, not just not getting a PS5.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Is it possible that the official price of current gen consoles can increase due to all these chip shortage problems we are facing?
Probably.Its not like Sony and MS will eat the losses if they are too big and last too long.

ManaByte

Gold Member
FOR THE CONSOLES!
red-dawn-c-thomas-howell.gif

Pagusas

Elden Member
Is it possible that the official price of current gen consoles can increase due to all these chip shortage problems we are facing?
possible but unlikely, but what we will see is NO price cuts through 90% of this gen, a delay on next gen, a push for a slim version made of cheaper materials (retailing at the same msrp), and future gens will 100% be more expensive now.

what i’m most curious about is what the midgen refresh will look like with the inability to lower core system prices. We already know MS is working on Series Z or whatever they’re planning on calling it, and Sony will be doing the same. curious if the $700 price point is going to open up.

What if we have both? Do we hug individually or all at once?

I’d suggest hugging the PS5 first, Sony’s a salty bitch if she feels 2nd place, may slit your throat while you sleep. MS is more understanding, she’ll just buy all your friends and family up and turn them against you.

Last edited:

Deerock71

I guess I'll give butterfly kisses to the two 1 TB memory expansions I picked up for my Xbox Series S's. It still doesn't exactly feel like 440 bucks well spent, but you know...

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I guess people were unfamiliar that Ukraine/Russia is not some land out there, but it's important for chip supply. Most of the valuable materials (metals and other stuff like that) in Soviet Union came from place of today's Ukraine.

GrayFoxPL

WTF man. There could be war right to my(Poland) eastern boarder and you are worried about chip shortages?

Wildebeest

I feel like if there's an actual invasion, there's going to be bigger issues than a few less chips.
This is like the "no cure for cancer" problem. How dare anyone do or think about anything else while there still isn't a cure for cancer.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Should I fly to Ukraine? Lord Miles would will it. It’s my duty to prevent further stock shortages. Wish me luck brothers, I think EasyJet have a one way flight for £1.26.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

But Jim Ryan is so Smart!!! Ps5 will win.

Pfffff.

With this... Each day is more complica ted with Playstation brand... Even worst with the case of close studios and Martha is dead controversy.

Last edited:

Skifi28

This is like the "no cure for cancer" problem. How dare anyone do or think about anything else while there still isn't a cure for cancer.
Doesn't seem very accurate. If I had to use an analogy, I'd say it's more akin to discussing a tragic death by cancer with the sole purpose of wondering what happened to their video game collection.

Wildebeest

Doesn't seem very accurate. If I had to use an analogy, I'd say it's more akin to discussing a tragic death by cancer with the sole purpose of wondering what happened to their video game collection.
If someone dies of cancer, you are no longer allowed to talk about their game collection?

Skifi28

If someone dies of cancer, you are no longer allowed to talk about their game collection?
You seem to be confusing "allowing" a discussion with merely pointing out it could be in bad taste. I'm not a mod or you mother to try and stop you.

ScythD

I'm still of the opinion that if Russia invades Ukraine, China will take the opportunity while everyone is distracted to invade Taiwan. 60% of the world's semiconductor capacity is in Taiwan, you can imagine what that would mean for video game console availability...

zeorhymer

So almost a decade since the last "conflict" where all the prices have gone up, NO ONE bothers to find other suppliers? Also, why the hell would I listen to an LLC whose business model is a subscription to their company to find alternatives to find raw materials?

SiteSeer

I'm still of the opinion that if Russia invades Ukraine, China will take the opportunity while everyone is distracted to invade Taiwan. 60% of the world's semiconductor capacity is in Taiwan, you can imagine what that would mean for video game console availability...
china seeks peaceful reunification, taiwan seeks the status quo. any movement otherwise would require foreign intervention.

zcaa0g

Banned

I predicted it would happen within 2 years if a certain over-aged person from a North American country was elected as president as history would be merely repeating itself to a degree.

Now here we are with it looking more likely than ever before. Hopefully the other side of history will win though; just more rhetoric by China. I fear that won't be the case because this is the time-frame to strike.

Getting way to close to politics, so I will shut up now. I miss the politics forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom