• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As of Avengers: Endgame, who is the most powerful character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

Who is demonstrably the most powerful character in the MCU as of Avengers: Endgame?

• Thanos (without the Infinity Stones)

Votes: 10 11.0%
  • Captain Marvel

Votes: 34 37.4%
  • Hulk

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Thor

Votes: 18 19.8%
  • Vision

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Wanda Maximoff

Votes: 25 27.5%

• Total voters

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Marvel's The Avengers portrays The Incredible Hulk as the team's trump card, hence Tony Stark's quip to Loki after Loki says that he has an army: "We have a Hulk!" However, Thor is able to duke it out with Hulk in the film's second act, which suggests that he and Hulk are equal in strength. Hence, it's safe to say that in Phase One of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU), Hulk and Thor are demonstrably the most powerful characters therein.

In Avengers: Age of Ultron, the power dynamics of the team shifts due to the creation and addition to the team of Vision, an android whose body is comprised of Vibranium and whose mind is a combination of those of Tony Stark and Bruce Banner as well as the Mind Stone. In the film, Vision is the one who is portrayed as the team's trump card; also, he lifts Thor's hammer with ease and is the one who ultimately defeats the antagonist, Ultron. So, in Phase Two, it is Vision who is demonstrably the most powerful character in the MCU.

In Avengers: Infinity War, after Thor assists Eitri in forging Stormbreaker and takes possession of the powerful weapon, he is powerful enough to kill Thanos (but ultimately botches the opportunity to do so). Hence, in Infinity War, Thor is demonstrably the second most powerful character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe; I say second because his ability to kill Thanos is circumstantial and doesn't negate the fact that Thanos - with all six Infinity Stones - is more powerful than he is.

In Avengers: Endgame, Captain Marvel is able to go toe to toe with Thanos on her own; it's only after Thanos uses some quick thinking to knock her out with the Power Stone that he is able to defeat her. Prior to that, the combined might of Captain America, Iron-Man, and Thor aren't enough to take out Thanos - before he can even gain possession of the Infinity Stones. However, there's also Wanda Maximoff; she nearly kills Thanos in the final battle; he survives only because he calls in an air strike from his ships that incapacitates Wanda and many of the other heroes. So, in Avengers: Endgame - which is the latest entry in the MCU that changes the power dynamics between characters - Captain Marvel and Wanda Maximoff are demonstrably the most powerful characters in the MCU, which makes sense because the powers of each of them derives from an Infinity Stone. As for which one of them is the mower powerful of the two, what do you guys think?

Also, do you guys agree or disagree with all of my conclusions?

CalmYe

Neo Member
I disagree with Vision being strongest in phase 2. Didn't thor blow up sokovia with stark at end of AoU.
Thor is the strongest IMO. He hasn't even tapped into full odin force I suppose. With rumors of Thor love and thunder having scale of an avengers scale I think Thor would give Carol some tough competition by showing some incredible feat. I don't think counting wizards is fair as their pure strength based attacks wouldn't match thor or cap marvel. If you include reality bending powers then yeah DS and maximoff have an edge.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I disagree with Vision being strongest in phase 2. Didn't thor blow up sokovia with stark at end of AoU.
Thor is the strongest IMO. He hasn't even tapped into full odin force I suppose. With rumors of Thor love and thunder having scale of an avengers scale I think Thor would give Carol some tough competition by showing some incredible feat. I don't think counting wizards is fair as their pure strength based attacks wouldn't match thor or cap marvel. If you include reality bending powers then yeah DS and maximoff have an edge.

Vision has an Infinity Stone in his forehead. Therefore, he's at least as powerful as Wanda Maximoff and Captain Marvel, each of whose powers also derive from an Infinity Stone.

As for Thor, since this discussion is limited to Avengers: Endgame and the films that take place before it, he's out of the question. It's not fair to use rumors about upcoming movies as bases for arguing that he's currently the most powerful.

CalmYe

Neo Member
Vision has an Infinity Stone in his forehead. Therefore, he's at least as powerful as Wanda Maximoff and Captain Marvel, each of whose powers also derive from an Infinity Stone.

As for Thor, since this discussion is limited to Avengers: Endgame and the films that take place before it, he's out of the question. It's not fair to use rumors about upcoming movies as bases for arguing that he's currently the most powerful.
All of them are not equally powerful. Nobody got hurt on touching the soul or time stone but GOTG were in a world of pain when they touched the power stone. I know you may say that Wanda got her powers from mind stone but a recent official marvel dictionary hinted that only the twins' powers were activated by the stone as they probably wanna retcon them as mutants. Carol ofcourse has flight and energy beams as powers due to the space stone giving her powers. So I don't think vision having mind stone means he is as strong as cap marvel or scarlet witch. But I don't think we'll ever know now and even if he is as powerful he never did a good job of demonstrating it.

Even if we disregard that, Thor at his peak nearly killed Thanos with all stones. Would have succeeded had his ego not come in between and he went for the head. Cap Marvel couldn't handle a blast from power stone but Thor+stormbreaker handled energy beam of all 6 stones.

Honestly these discussions are kinda pointless as even the writers and directors disagree with each other and things keep getting retconned so let's wait and watch.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
All of them are not equally powerful. Nobody got hurt on touching the soul or time stone but GOTG were in a world of pain when they touched the power stone. I know you may say that Wanda got her powers from mind stone but a recent official marvel dictionary hinted that only the twins' powers were activated by the stone as they probably wanna retcon them as mutants. Carol ofcourse has flight and energy beams as powers due to the space stone giving her powers. So I don't think vision having mind stone means he is as strong as cap marvel or scarlet witch. But I don't think we'll ever know now and even if he is as powerful he never did a good job of demonstrating it.

Even if we disregard that, Thor at his peak nearly killed Thanos with all stones. Would have succeeded had his ego not come in between and he went for the head. Cap Marvel couldn't handle a blast from power stone but Thor+stormbreaker handled energy beam of all 6 stones.

Honestly these discussions are kinda pointless as even the writers and directors disagree with each other and things keep getting retconned so let's wait and watch.

These discussions may be pointless, but they're fun.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Wanda
But if X Men was included it would be Phoenix
She could "snap" everything within her vicinity with her own powers

MetalAlien

Banned
Captain Crinkle Cut Toes!

a7vN3aB.jpg

HoodWinked

Marvel is the strongest in the way her powers are portrayed in the movies. Slicing through ships and flying through space at insane speeds and yet she gets bested by Thanos.

So she's the most powerful but wildly incompetent.

Dr strange might be the most powerful since he can defeat anyone using his portals.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
Black Widow
But Stark's daughter is close behind.

Last edited by a moderator:
The show writers because they invented time travel. Time travel trumps and breaks fucking everything. Undoes the power of 5 stones and a life time of work with a stroke of a pen just like that.

Top Bottom