• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As part of Dunkirk's Oscar campaign, WB sending out 4K UHD screeners in new approach

good, its silly going the old DVD route. though I imagine a lot of the academy is full of luddites.

this movie looks gorgeous too, should be seen in HD.

Unless they also send a DVD copy or a UHD Blu-Ray player, I'm going to say this backfires. The Oscar voting block doesn't seem hip enough to have a top-end Blu-ray player at the ready. This probably ends with a lot of people wondering why WB sent them a broken DVD.

Unless they also send a DVD copy or a UHD Blu-Ray player, I'm going to say this backfires. The Oscar voting block doesn't seem hip enough to have a top-end Blu-ray player at the ready. This probably ends with a lot of people wondering why WB sent them a broken DVD.

Then they should learn.

If you're part of the voting academy, it should be obligated of you to keep up with movie technology.

DogDude

Sounds like they're getting responses first before just sending it out.

Then they should learn.

If you're part of the voting academy, it should be obligated of you to keep up with movie technology.
Which is a reasonable expectation, but an Oscar campaign probably isn't the time to pull that card. If WB wants the film to get maximum exposure, excluding any proportion of the voting block from seeing it is foolish.

Which is a reasonable expectation, but an Oscar campaign probably isn't the time to pull that card. If WB wants the film to get maximum exposure, excluding any proportion of the voting block from seeing it is foolish.

I doubt they're doing this in an exclusionary way. they probably ask beforehand if the voter has a 4K Bluray player.

I wonder what awards Dunkirk has a shot at now. They still gonna continue the joke of gifting Nolan films a sound-mixing award?

shira

But the Academy don't watch the movies
blush.gif

Now you asking them to have 4k TV's with 4k bluray????

Daedardus

Wait? Who are these voters? They don't even have a regular Blu-ray player?

Wait? Who are these voters? They don't even have a regular Blu-ray player?
I know a voter. She and her husband will only watch what sound interesting when there's nothing better to do and skip the rest. They couldn't give two shits about the stuff they're sent. And will sometimes put one on in the background.

But how will members of the academy be able to accurately judge the cinematography without being able to view the film in sub-vhs quality?

jett

D-Member
Deakins has this in the bag. Dunkirk isn't going to win anything.

Wait, they are still sending out DVD for this stuff normally? Not Blu-ray?

Yup. DVD has been the standard for years. Maximum compatibility.

That and these (poor quality) screeners almost always leak online while movies are still playing in theaters, so I imagine putting out blu-rays would be a serious concern for most movie studios. Dunkirk is a somewhat special case because the movie came out during summer, and by the time "voting season" comes along the movie will be out on blu-ray officially anyway so it doesn't matter.

Syriel

I know a voter. She and her husband will only watch what sound interesting when there's nothing better to do and skip the rest. They couldn't give two shits about the stuff they're sent. And will sometimes put one on in the background.

I hope she hooks you up with all the extras. ;)

Zenner

taken from article said:
”If you have the screening ability  to play this format, please opt in by October 31, 2017,"  the email states

It's DVD unless you opt in for 4K.

HariKari

Movie was a bit underwhelming in IMAX. Nice to look at, but the sound mix was (as per usual Nolan) bad for most scenes. Story and execution were okay.

I can't imagine this movie playing well on a small screen like a personal TV, or this being a movie people continually go back to watch. It was very much an experience, like Gravity.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It's just as vapid and one note as Gravity which means it's Nolan's best chance to win over this terrible class of Oscar voters.

Roge_NES

I wonder if The Academy cares about watching the films the closest way possible to how the director intended or if they just play the DVD on their TV during daytime with the windows open and MotionFlow on.

MUnited83

For you.
They don't just sent both? Seems a studio would want the viewer to get the best possible format for these awards to the voters.
Well, they also know that shit is going to leak inevitably, and you dont want amazing quality copies being pirated months before official bluray/digital release

robotrock

Banned
I wonder if The Academy cares about watching the films the closest way possible to how the director intended or if they just play the DVD on their TV during daytime with the windows open and MotionFlow on.

motion flow.. color to shit...mismatched rgb full/limited.....i deserve these screeners not them

tbm24

So academy members don’t all have fucking blu ray players by now? If they are going to judge these movies from production to acting, you’d fucking hope it was judged using the best equipment around. Did they judge stuff like life of pi on a dvd? That’s tragic.

It's just as vapid and one note as Gravity which means it's Nolan's best chance to win over this terrible class of Oscar voters.
To be fair, this view that audio-visual-heavy films lack artistry, or that visual effects aren't worthy of praise is getting kind of sad considering the medium that film is.

WillyFive

It's his best movie in ages, precisely because it uses some of the great expert visual storytelling elements of Gravity.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm curious if WB is going to end up pushing Dunkirk or Blade Runner. Are they going to try for Dunkirk for BP/Director and Blade Runner for DP and set/costume production awards?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
If you don't have at least a blu-ray player you can fuck right off the voting list.

I'm curious if WB is going to end up pushing Dunkirk or Blade Runner. Are they going to try for Dunkirk for BP/Director and Blade Runner for DP and set/costume production awards?

WB didn't really do any financing for BR, they only distributed in the US. They will push Dunkirk, especially since it's probably gonna play better with voters ultimately too. I'm sure BR2049 will have no problems picking up a few techs nonetheless

Blader

The DVD screeners are such shit. One of my girlfriend's relatives gets them, I watched American Sniper at his place a couple years ago and the picture just looked awful.

The DVD screeners are such shit. One of my girlfriend's relatives gets them, I watched American Sniper at his place a couple years ago and the picture just looked awful.

But the packaging!

Yeah, most are still DVDs, but it is always a treat to see how they package them to give to people. Foldouts, thick printed pamphlets, etc. And, they're usually designed terribly as well. It's just neat to see what studios are spending how much on what movie with their layouts.

Edit: I don't know, but can 4K UHD be played on normal blu-ray players? Because if not, I can see a lot of people just not being able to watch the movie.

Top Bottom