• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As part of Dunkirk's Oscar campaign, WB sending out 4K UHD screeners in new approach

I’m gonna assume the reason screeners have been DVD’s is the quality is crap enough that it doesn’t affect sales when leaked. Being UHD it has a as of yet uncracked AACS 2.0 DRM that might make studios feel more comfortable sending higher res movies to voters. Just my guess

TARS

Neo Member
They're going all out, I hope it works in their favor. The movie certainly deserves to get major awards.

I wonder what awards Dunkirk has a shot at now. They still gonna continue the joke of gifting Nolan films a sound-mixing award?
I think Sound Mixing, Sound Editing and Film Editing are actually Dunkirk's best chances. Cinematography is kind of 50/50 (in my opinion), depending on whether or not Blade Runner manages to grab a Best Picture nomination.

So academy members don’t all have fucking blu ray players by now? If they are going to judge these movies from production to acting, you’d fucking hope it was judged using the best equipment around. Did they judge stuff like life of pi on a dvd? That’s tragic.

Most members who vote never see all the films in the given category.

The Academy is terrible political shite.

BAFTA and ACE have actual meaning.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
He is literally guaranteed to win for Blade Runner 2049. Might be the best looking film he's ever shot and one of the best shot films since the original released.

Only matters if they push it or not. 2049 is a far better film in every way over Dunkirk, but if WB pushes Dunkirk over it. Dunkirk will get it.

holygeesus

Banned
I’m gonna assume the reason screeners have been DVD’s is the quality is crap enough that it doesn’t affect sales when leaked. Being UHD it has a as of yet uncracked AACS 2.0 DRM that might make studios feel more comfortable sending higher res movies to voters. Just my guess

AACS2.0 has been cracked AFAIK. Even if it isn't, you can make almost 1:1 copies of encrypted titles that will destroy the quality of traditional DVD Screeners.

Seems an odd tactic to me.

spelen

Only matters if they push it or not. 2049 is a far better film in every way over Dunkirk, but if WB pushes Dunkirk over it. Dunkirk will get it.

"Far better film"? I disagree with your statement and if I do so will others surely. Give it a month and when the dust settles the we'll see how poeple feel about 2049. Maybe it does become the front runner or maybe ppl will slowly start to dislike it like what happened to la la land. Course come the winter Oscar bait season we might have to revaluate whatt the front runners are again.

hiredhand

Unfortunately, I can't see Dunkirk winning anything other than technical awards. Best picture winners tend to be more "actor-oriented" whereas Dunkirk is almost a docudrama.

It's a shame because Dunkirk might be Nolan's best film and at least a return-to-form after few weaker films.

FTF

But the Academy don't watch the movies
blush.gif

Now you asking them to have 4k TV's with 4k bluray????

Yeah this is my thought too. I don't expect many to be able to take advantage of the 4k copy they receive unfortunately.

Allforce

Someone who's not me should look up and post the thread about an interview with an anonymous Academy voter.

People in here actually incredulous they don't own a blu-ray player but these voters mostly don't even watch the films at all or blow them off based on preconceived notions.

I think the line that got everyone riled up on GAF was the voter saying they only voted for whatever Pixar movie was nominated that year because it was the only one they heard of and not because they watched any of films. Something about not being bothered to vote for cartoons.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
good, its silly going the old DVD route. though I imagine a lot of the academy is full of luddites.

this movie looks gorgeous too, should be seen in HD.

They probably don't actually watch the movies because they only have vhs players.

TARS

Neo Member
Unfortunately, I can't see Dunkirk winning anything other than technical awards. Best picture winners tend to be more "actor-oriented" whereas Dunkirk is almost a docudrama.
You're right, although from what I gather, as of right now Nolan has higher (but still unlikely) chances of winning Best Director, which is crazy but well deserved. They have been rewarding the more technically impressive films in that category for the past few years.

Best Director hands down goes to Nolan, but BR2049 should get Deakins his for Cinematography. Then again, the cinematography for Dunkirk was top-notch.

CloudWolf

Wait? Who are these voters? They don't even have a regular Blu-ray player?

That yearly Oscar voter thing Hollywood Reporter (?) does tells you all you need to know about the voters. They generally don't give a single fuck about movies.

"Animation awards? Well, those are kids movies anyway, so I'll vote for the film my kid likes the most."

"I don't like actor x, but I do like actor y, so movie z gets my vote for best picture."

"I didn't watch this movie, because a friend of mine saw it and he/she didn't like it."

"Editing? Well, movie x was my favorite film and it's also nominated for editing, so of course it's also the best edited movie."

Top Bottom