• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As we venture into the second decade, share your TOP 5 MOVIES OF THE CENTURY!

I think it would be interesting to see where MovieGAF stands as we have completed the first 20 years in the century. Just do a simple top 5 and post a brief tl;dr on why motherfuckers should watch that particular movie. Sounds good? Let's rock then:

91sustfojBL._AC_SY879_.jpg

1. Parasite

Why you should watch it: Deep as Lisa Ann's pussy, great pace, great acting all around and one of the best endings of all time. Just perfect cinema.

5483e331a9bace540b3a2478fc014e25_XL.jpg

2. Oldboy

Why you should watch it: Insane revenge flick, life's a fucking chaos and remember my man: be it a rock or a grain of sand, in water they sink as the same.

No-Country-Poster.jpg

3. No Country For Old Men

Why you should watch it: What if all of your life choices net you a date in a shady motel room with a complete nut with funky hair? Be -Arcadia- -Arcadia- for one day!

cc47a507854dfe4ea145ebb4c9ae51c4.jpg

4. The Dark Knight

Why you should watch it: Marvel fans get BTFO as their Chinese empire didn't get anywhere close to the sheer perfection that is this absolute MONSTER.

71-R7s05gaL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

5. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Why you should watch it: Put up FUCK THE POLICE in huge billboards, let's see BLM beat that. REEEEE! Also, DICKS OUT FOR WILLOUGHBY!

Easy, no? Now allow me to step aside the shitposting and wax philosophical a bit about these movies. They all carry a similar theme in that they're all about CHAOS and an agent breaking out of the status quo and how truly fucked up that can get. Our life is built on order, but as Freud pointed out we all carry within us many death drives. We value that order, but we need to break out of it. As the modern society gets more settled in, we rebel against that and the beautiful thing about art is that we can put those hypotheses to action and see where they would get us. As always, the consequences of lashing out are usually shit and it snowballs into an unpredictable clusterfuck. Yet it's so fascinating, like Amigara Falls we just can't help but venture in that hole of chaos and destruction. This theme gets explored to perfection here. Great stuff!

Is it just me, or has No Country for Old Men elevated itself above There Will Be Blood over the years?

I feel like a year or two after release, it was all about There Will Be Blood.

I remember liking TWBB better when it came out, but No Country is just more all around awesome. They absolutely nailed the atmosphere and some of the set pieces are insane, like the one with Javier stalking Josh Brolin where you never see him, only the destruction he unleashes. Shit's powerful.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I get this feeling too, especially when talking with others. Personally I'd rather watch NCFOM over TWBB any day.
I remember liking TWBB better when it came out, but No Country is just more all around awesome. They absolutely nailed the atmosphere and some of the set pieces are insane, like the one with Javier stalking Josh Brolin where you never see him, only the destruction he unleashes. Shit's powerful.

I like TWBB better too, but I think NCfOM is a more "traditional" type of suspense flick. TWBB was almost experimental (slow) which maybe doesn't hold up to repeated viewings?

I like TWBB better too, but I think NCfOM is a more "traditional" type of suspense flick. TWBB was almost experimental (slow) which maybe doesn't hold up to repeated viewings?

TWBB is a great movie too, No Country is pretty experimental too in that it almost feels like an indie flick with a big budget. I love how both movies deal with morality, like there's probably not a single morally just character between both that gets more than 5 minutes of screen lol. No Country carries IMO a more powerful message in how it deals with that, but I badly need to rewatch TWBB.

teezzy

Banned
Metalhead (2013)

Metalhead straight up speaks to me, breh. Not only does it just bleed a heavy Bergman influence, it also stars a hottie and is coated in black metal for the soundtrack. A tale of rebellion and angst with a very dark wit about it. This once needs to be seen to be believed, instant classic.

Broken Flowers (2005)

Broken Flowers makes me reflect on my life and accept change. That's something I struggle with in general, so having a movie which drives me to that is awesome. Old Bill Murray is just the best tbh.

Lost in Translation (2003)

The opening shot on ScarJo's ass is my favorite shot in all of cinema. Lots of shoegze, dreampop, and post punk on this soundtrack. An awesome love story. Scarjo and Bill Murray again - what's not to love here?

The Bourne Identity (2002)

The Bourne Identity has the best car chases I've seen since The Blues Brothers. Euro car chases are so badass. The color grading is perfect and muted and everything is so stylish here. If this didn't win an award for costume design then someone messed up. Poster child for doing things stylishly but never excessive.

Underworld (2003)

If you don't think Kate Beckinsale's hot ass being dawned in tight leather in the midst of an eternal battle between werewolves and vampires is cool then we're not friends any longer. Even better than The Matrix imho. You won't change my mind.

King Of The Hill Popcorn GIF

Last edited:
Metalhead (2013)

Metalhead straight up speaks to me, breh. Not only does it just bleed a heavy Bergman influence, it also stars a hottie and is coated in black metal for the soundtrack. A tale of rebellion and angst with a very dark wit about it. This once needs to be seen to be believed, instant classic.

VERY underrated movie. If it came out today it would be seen as the second coming. Let's be honest here, black metal is probably on the verge of being adopted by normies.

Hmm, this is gonna take some thought. It won't be in a certain order.

Next Friday - Easily one of the most quotable and funny movies since Big Lebowski. I'd rate this one the best out of the trilogy, followed by Friday and then Friday After Next (which was still hilarious). Every single time you watch it you hear some new funny ass shit, never gets old.

Rogue One - Fuck off if you gonna argue this one, a wonderful movie that fills in a good amount of lore directly before A New Hope. Definitely the "darkest" of the Star Wars movies, but almost all the acting is great and it's probably my favorite Star Wars movie overall.

The Departed - Just a fucking well-done movie with lots of twists and a pretty wild ending

There Will Be Blood - A mostly-chill, dope movie.

The Martian / Interstellar - Both are so good, can't really decide between the two. Totally different moods you get, but I love space movies/shows.

I'm sure there's a bunch that could be replaced and that I'm just forgetting about, but whatever these movies all slap

deafmedal

Interstellar
Django Unchained
BR2049
Up
Grandma's Boy

I went with a selection of diff genres (although you could argue Interstellar and BR are both sci-fi), it's hard to nail this down.
HM:
Dredd
Fury Road
Requiem For a Dream
V for Vendetta
Avatar (for the overall Imax experience, shits was tight)
LOTR trilogy
Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy
Hateful Eight
Sunshine
Moon
Under the Skin
Incredibles
The Lego Movies
Kill Bill
etc etc etc :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
1. Fellowship of the Ring
2. Two Towers
3. Return of the King
4. John Wick

Honestly after the top 4 there are a lot of “in no particular order” movies. Like Superbad, The Dark Knight, Deadpool, 300, Ip Man, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Joker, and Dredd.

I’m not a “kino” guy though. For instance, I thought “There will be blood” was shockingly boring and “Parasite” was just okay.

Arkam

Battle Royale (2000)
A clear, quick and cold take on the (fantastic) novel. Hits all the broad strokes of an excellent story. Gives a 'fun' interpretation of the moral dilemmas of young teens and how they might intersect with the freedom of violence. Peer pressure, revenge, bullying, relationships, crushes, etc....settled with a knife or gun..... all in all just great television. The violence is free flowing yet tame and subdued from any gore. A well crafted film with a lot to unpack if you can see between the murders. Plus some superb Beat Takeshi as Kitano. And we all know I love me some Beat!

The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)
Wes Anderson's second best film. A divine menagerie of big name actors/actresses in equally phenomenal roles. A typical Anderson fast paced dollhouse romp with a dozen eccentric characters, but so well done that each arc is worth following. Royale Tenenbaum is a great character with many lines worth quoting. Add on to that a most exquisite soundtrack throughout that adds so much to the overall film. A batch of melancholy misfits never looked so good.

This film is the right kind of vice when you are depressed. Gives exceptional characters and situations that most can relate to personally, then focuses in on them by making everything else "alien" by the setting of Japan. The fact that the characters are not from, but currently in Japan and unfamiliar with the customs makes it much easier to focus on them and their dynamic with each other and them selves. And even though the setting helped focus on the characters, it was a vibrant character by its self. the way the characters interact with the locals and customs is entertaining. Takes you down at times, but lifts you back up along the way too

The Life Aquatic (2004)
Wes Anderson's best movie..... though some, just, dont, get it. (lol) And by that I mean that it is super dry and very much a boy adventure story. You have my hero, Steve Zissou (Bill Murray) failing at and living his best life at the same time as a (formerly) world renowned Oceanographic Film maker. He has money (married rich), has fame, has an island.... yet drinking and smoking himself to destruction... and bringing his questionable, but quality crew down with him. Only a wake up call in the name of an illegitimate son(Owen Wilson) and the death of best friend get Zissou off his ass and into action. Oh and there is the pregnant reporter everyone wants to nail! The ensuing adventure is in fact awesome. A few dark notes along the way and you have another great Wes Anderson romp on a boat. And the music!!!!

Hot Fuzz (2007)
Such an awesome blend of wholesome comedy featuring quick wit, British (cultural) nuances and extreme violence and action. Just keeps a brilliant tone through out that feels fun regardless of passive aggressive (signals) to an inn keeper, chasing a swan, murders or that damned mine!! Film almost laughs at itself and what it is doing, but does it so well that it lands again and again. Great cast, great dialog and great 80's/90's action film nostalgia.
And if nothing else, it is a great vehicle for Point Break and Bad Boys 2!

Last edited:

deafmedal

I feel a lot of people complain about post millennial Hollywood and I get it but there have been some damn good flix in the past 20 years.

Just like music, the tendency toward nostalgia/stagnation as we age and the sheer mountain one must shovel through to find the nuggets thanks to these wonderful current times lends toward dismissal easily.The drivel that powers the industry, while flashy and fun, is so formulaic. The increase in overall quality and experience alone makes it worth it- fight scenes like the stairway scene in Atomic Blonde or the seamless nature of 1917 made those movies worth watching as long as you check the cynicism at the door. Atomic Blonde wasn't the best action/spy movie and there are many far superior war movies preceding Dunkirk or 1917, yes. Still, they are nothing like the tripe we've piled en masse into the theaters to experience: the latest Disney movie we watched a few months ago with suspect green screening.

Ofc the over reliance on digital effects doesn't help. Sure, I can see the model in the flyover scene when we get our asses to Mars or visit the Tyrell building but I still love it. I agree Lucas/Disney need(ed) to give us the OG cuts of the OG trilogy but I also enjoy well done digital effects (see list), it just requires a bit more work from the actors... something seemingly tricky to nail down. Shame that practical effects have (understandably) taken a back seat cause who damn does it look great when done right.

There's not less good movies, just more bad ones.

mickaus

1. LOTR The Two Towers
2. LOTR Return of the King
3. Star Wars 3 Revenge of the Sith
4. The SpongeBob Movie
5. Lincoln

I put The Two Towers first because watching the battle of Helms Deep in the Cinema was mind blowing at the time, it was also my first M rated movie.

SinDelta

13 Sentinels Aegis Rim which I think is outright better than most Hollywood blockbusters
Lord of the Rings Trilogy - Unmatched by anything since.
Hot Fuzz - Perfection of foreshadowing
Secondhand Lions - The masterpiece no one knows about.
Spider Man 2 - I don't know what to think when people say Homecoming or Far From Home are on par with this. I don't think most movies are.

Honorable Mentions - A ton of films I really enjoyed on here.

Pirates of the Caribbean The Curse of the Black Pearl - Defined a era of adventure for me.
Star Wars Episode 3 Revenge of the Sith
Stardust
Inception
Inglorious Bastards - One of the most insane opening scenes in cinema history up there with Jaws and Star Wars Episode 4 A New Hope.
Iron Man - Defined a era of film, for better and worse.
Captain America The Winter Soldier
The Avengers - One of biggest defining superhero moments in history..
Avengers Infinity War - The other biggest defininging moment in superhero history.
Constantine
Batman Begins - Better then the Dark Knight I think.
Song of the Sea
Klaus - Will be a Christmas classic, if it is not already.
Finding Nemo
Ratatouille
Atlantis the Lost Empire - I dread how Disney will screw up any live version of this.
The Incredibles
The Emperor's New Groove
Edge of tomorrow
Deadpool 1/2
X-Men First Class/Days of Future Past - Saved the X-Men franchise and the sequels promptly returned it to trash.
Wreck it Ralph
Sherlock Holmes
Megamind - Good or bad it got overlooked by Despicable Me and thus has no sequels to ruin it?
Lego Movie
Brave - Yes. Story actually has some interesting stuff in it.
Avatar - Still one of the most amazing looking movies, alongside Inception.
Gladiator

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
Battle Royale (2000)
A clear, quick and cold take on the (fantastic) novel. Hits all the broad strokes of an excellent story. Gives a 'fun' interpretation of the moral dilemmas of young teens and how they might intersect with the freedom of violence. Peer pressure, revenge, bullying, relationships, crushes, etc....settled with a knife or gun..... all in all just great television. The violence is free flowing yet tame and subdued from any gore. A well crafted film with a lot to unpack if you can see between the murders. Plus some superb Beat Takeshi as Kitano. And we all know I love me some Beat!

The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)
Wes Anderson's second best film. A divine menagerie of big name actors/actresses in equally phenomenal roles. A typical Anderson fast paced dollhouse romp with a dozen eccentric characters, but so well done that each arc is worth following. Royale Tenenbaum is a great character with many lines worth quoting. Add on to that a most exquisite soundtrack throughout that adds so much to the overall film. A batch of melancholy misfits never looked so good.

This film is the right kind of vice when you are depressed. Gives exceptional characters and situations that most can relate to personally, then focuses in on them by making everything else "alien" by the setting of Japan. The fact that the characters are not from, but currently in Japan and unfamiliar with the customs makes it much easier to focus on them and their dynamic with each other and them selves. And even though the setting helped focus on the characters, it was a vibrant character by its self. the way the characters interact with the locals and customs is entertaining. Takes you down at times, but lifts you back up along the way too

The Life Aquatic (2004)
Wes Anderson's best movie..... though some, just, dont, get it. (lol) And by that I mean that it is super dry and very much a boy adventure story. You have my hero, Steve Zissou (Bill Murray) failing at and living his best life at the same time as a (formerly) world renowned Oceanographic Film maker. He has money (married rich), has fame, has an island.... yet drinking and smoking himself to destruction... and bringing his questionable, but quality crew down with him. Only a wake up call in the name of an illegitimate son(Owen Wilson) and the death of best friend get Zissou off his ass and into action. Oh and there is the pregnant reporter everyone wants to nail! The ensuing adventure is in fact awesome. A few dark notes along the way and you have another great Wes Anderson romp on a boat. And the music!!!!

Hot Fuzz (2007)
Such an awesome blend of wholesome comedy featuring quick wit, British (cultural) nuances and extreme violence and action. Just keeps a brilliant tone through out that feels fun regardless of passive aggressive (signals) to an inn keeper, chasing a swan, murders or that damned mine!! Film almost laughs at itself and what it is doing, but does it so well that it lands again and again. Great cast, great dialog and great 80's/90's action film nostalgia.
And if nothing else, it is a great vehicle for Point Break and Bad Boys 2!

Oh god fucking dammit how am i supposed to decide between Underworld and Life Aquatic now - I completely forgot.

Can I really have 3 Bill Murray titles on my top 5?! 🤔 Nah, Underworld stays... but damn, you're right. Easily Wes Anderson's best. People who don't get it are dolts. Tenenbaums too.... fuuuuck

teezzy

Banned
VERY underrated movie. If it came out today it would be seen as the second coming. Let's be honest here, black metal is probably on the verge of being adopted by normies.

It's definitely up there with my favorite ever.

Metalhead is top 5 for me... I think. I say that a lot, I feel.

Good Will Hunting, Taxi Driver, Eraserhead, Texas Chain Saw Massacre, Metalhead, Wings of Desire, American Beauty, Chasing Amy, Broken Flowers

There's a brief list there where I watch them and think "yeah, that's my favorite movie ever"... Metalhead is at least top 10 for me.

Arkam

Oh god fucking dammit how am i supposed to decide between Underworld and Life Aquatic now - I completely forgot.

Can I really have 3 Bill Murray titles on my top 5?! 🤔 Nah, Underworld stays... but damn, you're right. Easily Wes Anderson's best. People who don't get it are dolts. Tenenbaums too.... fuuuuck
I offer two solutions. replace Broken Flowers with Life Aquatic.

Or

Ditch underworld. This is a highly recommended tactic. Undeworld is a decent story paired with meh acting and Prodigy music video. Aged as well as the Matrix sequels

Though I did absolutely enjoy both upon release.

teezzy

Banned
I offer two solutions. replace Broken Flowers with Life Aquatic.

Or

Ditch underworld. This is a highly recommended tactic. Undeworld is a decent story paired with meh acting and Prodigy music video. Aged as well as the Matrix sequels

Though I did absolutely enjoy both upon release.

z535lm5pi1k51.jpg

YOU WANT A PIECE OF ME, ARKAM?!!!
I'MMA WHOOP YOUR ASS, I TELL YOU WHAT!!!

teezzy

Banned
Lord of the Rings trilogy is awesome. I find it fascinating that so many are willing to sacrifice 3/5 of their list to include it. I didnt even think to include it in mine, but it truly is something majestic unlike other films

Jethalal

Banned
I'll try, it's very very very tough. In no order:

1. Spider-Man: Homecoming: Finally someone gets Spider-Man right, as a lifelong SM fan, I love this.
2. Midsommar: The tone, setting, and acting, everything is just topnotch. Really well horror movie.
3. Thor: Ragnarok- A genius work. Easily the best comedy movie of 2010s
4. The Dark Knight- Just fantastic. May not be the most accurate Batman, but great nonetheless.
5. Logan Lucky or Get Out. Very different, can't decide but still great.

Many amazing movies are missing but I chose ones which belong to my favourite genres.

mango drank

• The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (my favorite Fincher movie)
  • 28 Days Later (great twist on a zombie flick, one of the best realizations of a bleak post-apocalyptic atmosphere)
  • A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Kubrick + Spielberg = weird fever dream about humanity's children)
  • It Follows (very fun)
  • Ocean's 11 (why the hell not--something light-hearted to balance out the list)
Honorable mentions: The Bourne Identity, Borg vs McEnroe, Interstellar

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Interstellar (2014)- I love space/sci-fi, especially the ones which try to get the science right and have grand ideas. It was so much fun to watch a movie that got science right (for the most part) and was epic. The music only elevated it to the next level. It holds even more special place in my heart because 2014 was the time of my life. I was young, in great shape and girls flocked to me. Watching and explaining interstellar to one of the biggest crushes of my life is one memory I will always cherish.

Troy (2004)- Yeah yeah I know a lot of people didnt think it was all that great. But I personally love it. It it grand but has emotions running underneath. It also respects its characters where everyone is just human at the end. Eric Bana truly stole the show as Hector for me.

Lord of the rings trilogy- What else can I say which hasnt been said already?

Artificial Intelligence (2001)- Spielberg weaved magic here. The dystopian future was something to behold in its sheer loneliness. The acting was top-tier and I rather appreciated the slow burn. Tough moral decisions are great drama and this movie had both Sci-fi and drama in spades.

Swades (2004)- Its an Indian movie. Its tough for non-Indians to understand its appeal maybe, but it really spoke to a generation of us.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Mulholland Drive - Lynch doing what he does best and a star-making performance by Naomi Watts

The Royal Tenenbaums
- A beautiful conglomeration of elements from Anderson

Inception - Bold, Brassy, but pure entertainment from Nolan

The Social Network - The Maestro Fincher at work

BR2049 - Maybe a little languid for some peoples tastes but I love the combination of Villienuves approach, coupled with Deakins Cinematography and a thought-provoking script by Fancher & Green

Last edited:

Jethalal

Banned
Interstellar (2014)- I love space/sci-fi, especially the ones which try to get the science right and have grand ideas. It was so much fun to watch a movie that got science right (for the most part) and was epic. The music only elevated it to the next level. It holds even more special place in my heart because 2014 was the time of my life. I was young, in great shape and girls flocked to me. Watching and explaining interstellar to one of the biggest crushes of my life is one memory I will always cherish.

Troy (2004)- Yeah yeah I know a lot of people didnt think it was all that great. But I personally love it. It it grand but has emotions running underneath. It also respects its characters where everyone is just human at the end. Eric Bana truly stole the show as Hector for me.

Lord of the rings trilogy- What else can I say which hasnt been said already?

Artificial Intelligence (2001)- Spielberg weaved magic here. The dystopian future was something to behold in its sheer loneliness. The acting was top-tier and I rather appreciated the slow burn. Tough moral decisions are great drama and this movie had both Sci-fi and drama in spades.

Swades (2004)- Its an Indian movie. Its tough for non-Indians to understand its appeal maybe, but it really spoke to a generation of us.
Meaning to watch Swades, SRK's best is what I've heard.

* DREDD (best action movie in this decade. Only great cyberpunkt movie along the original Blade Runner that exists.)
* Mad Max Fury Road (Just wow @ first half an hour of this movie. Never expected to see a movie like this in my life time)
* John Wick (only the first one, the rest is horrible trash.)
* A Life Aquatic (one of my favorite movies ever. Nice to see it listed here already in another post. This movie resonates so much for me as an old dude who has his greatest times behind him.)
* Interstellar (I know its premise is dumb as fuck. but what a ride that was watching it at the cinema)

Top Bottom