• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asia Nikkei: Bridgestone wins another patent battle with Chinese makers

ggx2ac

Link: http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Bridgestone-wins-another-patent-battle-with-Chinese-makers

TOKYO -- Japanese tire maker Bridgestone won a patent lawsuit against Guangzhou-based Wanli Tire. This marks the second time in less than a year that the company has prevailed against Chinese manufacturers in its war on intellectual property infringement, which is increasing in China.

Tokyo-based Bridgestone said the Shanghai Intellectual Property Court in April reached a favorable ruling regarding a patent infringement lawsuit Bridgestone filed in October 2015. The suit alleged Wanli of manufacturing and selling tires with tread patterns used in Bridgestone's Dueler A/T REVO 2 tires for sports utility vehicles.

The company said the court has ordered Wanli to stop manufacturing and sales activities that are in violation of Bridgestone's patent rights, dispose of related molds, and pay Bridgestone 600,000 yuan ($88,000) in compensation.

Bridgestone's victory follows last September's success in a lawsuit alleging infringement of the company's tire-tread design rights against Chinese manufacturer Triangle Tyre.

Intellectual property infringement cases are on the rise in China as the nation's judicial system works to reform IP protection.

In response to claims from multinational corporations that China was not adequately protecting IP rights, Beijing announced in 2014 plans to open intellectual property courts. The Shanghai Intellectual Property Court is one of these. There are two other courts in Beijing and Guangzhou.

According to China's 2015 White Paper on intellectual property rights protection, local people's courts accepted 109,386 civil IP cases of the first instance and concluded 101,324 cases, a year-on-year increase of 14.49% and 7.22%, respectively. Of these, 11,607 were patent cases, up 20.3% from the following year.

Patent filings have also been increasing in China. The World Intellectual Property Organization said in a report released last year that China's patent office received 1,101,864 filings in 2015. This made it "the first office to receive more than a million applications in a single year -- including both filings from residents in China as well as from overseas innovators seeking patent protection inside China."

Madness

$88,000? Finally Bridgestone can retire and live out their days in the lap of luxury.

It is more symbolic than whatever cash value they won. A Shanghai based court gave a Japanese based company a win over a homegrown Chinese one. As China rises in world status, their rampant counterfeiting and flouting of IP and copyrights and trademarks was something a lot of companies wanted them to work on. It is a start. Obviously just a drop in an ocean of issues but still a start.

02-14-15-kuchar-ice-cream.gif

Dali

It is more symbolic than whatever cash value they won. A Shanghai based court gave a Japanese based company a win over a homegrown Chinese one. As China rises in world status, their rampant counterfeiting and flouting of IP and copyrights and trademarks was something a lot of companies wanted them to work on. It is a start. Obviously just a drop in an ocean of issues but still a start.
I guess you can praise them for the gesture but if the cost of stealing is significantly cheaper than doing your own R&D then it's almost an empty gesture. Maybe $88,000 is an appropriate number for what Bridgestone lost and Triangle made though I doubt it.

I'd like to see Ford challenge the Chinese knock off F150. I wonder what the cash award on that would be.

I'm not sure I'm ready to live in a world where "China does care".

I'm gonna have to get all new tshirts.

China does care about that. Its just that most companies dont sue the copyright infringers.
Blizzard e.g. wins every case against shameless Hearthstone or Overwatch clones.

Most companies dont sue though, because they are scared they would lose.

Top Bottom