• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

Nudull

Banned
Ghost in the Shell bothers me because the whole thing needs to be set in Japan. It is a Japan-centric thing. Whole thing falls apart if you take out the Japanese setting and try to westernize it with white people.

"Makoto was never Japanese, guys, she doesn't even *look* asian!"

I can't wait to hear Danny Rand speak Asian. Will it be as good as the "Mandarin" in Arrow S1?

omg septie

that is literally the first thing i said to haly in the discord chat

personally, i just cant wait to her how betterer he is at asian languages compared to asians themselves. like. absolutely cant wait for that scene to unfold before my eyes (ears)

Moonkid

Lmao @Iron Fist. Maybe they'll hire some Asian writers when handling him in the future.
Ghost in the Shell bothers me because the whole thing needs to be set in Japan. It is a Japan-centric thing. Whole thing falls apart if you take out the Japanese setting and try to westernize it with white people.
I'm just keen for it to come out so we can watch it and stop tip-toeing around its critique. Something tells me it's not going to be a nuanced window into race and culture.

giphy.gif

Watched Kong Skull Island last night and noticed that Jing Tian was in it (very minor role). Apparently she's also in The Great Wall and will be in Pacific Rim 2. That Chinese funding.

omg septie

that is literally the first thing i said to haly in the discord chat

personally, i just cant wait to her how betterer he is at asian languages compared to asians themselves. like. absolutely cant wait for that scene to unfold before my eyes (ears)

Lies, no one posts in the Discord chat. :p

Watched Kong Skull Island last night and noticed that Jing Tian was in it (very minor role). Apparently she's also the The Great Wall and will be in Pacific Rim 2. That Chinese funding.

Lies, no one posts in the Discord chat. :p

Dat china moniiii

Sorry boo. People posts in the real discord channel.

Just based on that io9 review..... I have a feeling they thought they could get away with it. People don't care about Asians, right? Fuck it.

Turns out...... Plenty of people do. How about that? Ain't that about a bitch?

Yeah, I'm not going to watch it. And to think I was looking forward to Inhumans ��

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Lmao @Iron Fist. Maybe they'll hire some Asian writers when handling him in the future.I'm just keen for it to come out so we can watch it and stop tip-toeing around its critique. Something tells me it's not going to be a nuanced window into race and culture.

Based on the reviews I've seen - I don't think hiring Asian writers would have helped a lick if the combat is bad, the dialogue is bad, and there's no real take on the character from the showrunner, lol. If it was going to be a shitshow regardless (which is the vibe I'm getting from the reviews), I'm sort of glad it's not an asian lead.

Moonkid

Based on the reviews I've seen - I don't think hiring Asian writers would have helped a lick if the combat is bad, the dialogue is bad, and there's no real take on the character from the showrunner, lol. If it was going to be a shitshow regardless (which is the vibe I'm getting from the reviews), I'm sort of glad it's not an asian lead.
Yeesh sounds like they really goofed up. I actually didn't think of it from that perspective from before, it might be for the better yeah.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Yeesh sounds like they really goofed up. I actually didn't think of it from that perspective from before, it might be for the better yeah.

When they were trying to find someone to be the showrunner, the scuttlebutt around Hollywood is that they couldn't find anyone who had a solid "take" on the character that also understood the character. So I think they went with Scott Buck because he was about all they had at the time, and the show seems to mirror that lack of overarching vision.

I mean, I am not as hard on them about the white Danny Rand by virtue that they did open it up to asian and white actors (the guy who plays the main villain actually auditioned for Danny) - but the lack of vision basically dooms a show based on a franchise from the start, IMO.

Got my first "driving while brown and have a beard" citation in Seattle. Fun!

That fucking sucks. Hope you are doing well my dude.

Hey guys and girls.... Want to become your own boss? Want to turn that $10 into millions?!

You guys probably know where I'm going with that...... Can't believe my friends have turned to pyramid schemes, smdh.

jasonng

Hi seductivepancakes

Sorry we didn't get a chance to hang during PAX. You caught me while I was looking for my friends. Wish I had known more gaffers were there. Should've planned a meat up.

Quick

Banned
That fucking sucks. Hope you are doing well my dude.

Hey guys and girls.... Want to become your own boss? Want to turn that $10 into millions?!

You guys probably know where I'm going with that...... Can't believe my friends have turned to pyramid schemes, smdh.

A few people I knew from high school (all Asian) are getting sucked into this. At first, I just thought it was a specific business they were all into. Then I bumped into a friend of mine a couple of years ago and he basically said that they're all getting sucked into pyramid schemes.

All I'd see on their social media feeds is shit about them going to leadership seminars and presentations. If I didn't know better, I'd say that's all they ever do. One of them, I'd say she's the one posting the most about it, seems to be benefiting from it in terms of being able to fly out to the US to do more seminars or whatever.

Another person I know seems to have JUST gotten into it. And another friend might've just gotten out of it.

A few people I knew from high school (all Asian) are getting sucked into this. At first, I just thought it was a specific business they were all into. Then I bumped into a friend of mine a couple of years ago and he basically said that they're all getting sucked into pyramid schemes.

All I'd see on their social media feeds is shit about them going to leadership seminars and presentations. If I didn't know better, I'd say that's all they ever do. One of them, I'd say she's the one posting the most about it, seems to be benefiting from it in terms of being able to fly out to the US to do more seminars or whatever.

Another person I know seems to have JUST gotten into it. And another friend might've just gotten out of it.

The need for "quick" cash can do things to people...... It's unfortunate to see how far they've fallen. What's funny is that my friends are mostly middle class. Like.... You're not even doing bad for yourself. Y'all have houses, a family, and you want to risk it all by falling for pyramid schemes?!

One very close friend of mine was nearly roped into it..... BY HIS MOM. His mom told him that if he joined he was GUARANTEED A BRAND NEW CAR!!!!! He relayed the information to me because apparently I'm the smart one of the group (hah!) and what I thought about it. I told him the truth. It's a scam and you shouldn't let your mom fall for it and you shouldn't fall for it. He listened.

In my experiences, what's wrong with y'all Hmong people?!!!?! 😭

Quick

Banned
That one friend I mentioned that was into it and might've gotten out - she's smart, maybe smarter than a lot of us, and she was roped into it. Like damn lol.

That person I know that might've just gotten into it - I'm pretty sure it's her and her husband too. And the one that posts about it most, it's her and her boyfriend. Her boyfriend might've been the one that got her into it if I were to guess.

That one friend I mentioned that was into it and might've gotten out - she's smart, maybe smarter than a lot of us, and she was roped into it. Like damn lol.

That person I know that might've just gotten into it - I'm pretty sure it's her and her husband too. And the one that posts about it most, it's her and her boyfriend. Her boyfriend might've been the one that got her into it if I were to guess.

Is the first friend well off? Do you think she's doing because it's just something for her to do?

Funny how the one you said that just got into it sounds like one of my friends. He roped his wife into it.

I think what's happening is that people get used to the middle class lifestyle when growing up and going to school, but once they get out and are on their own, they see how much that lifestyle actually costs and go seeking ways to get rich quick.

I think what's happening is that people get used to the middle class lifestyle when growing up and going to school, but once they get out and are on their own, they see how much that lifestyle actually costs and go seeking ways to get rich quick.

Yup. My friend was spewing that to my brother-in-law Saturday night.

Aren't you tired of paying your mortgage and bills, man? Well if you were to join me and our other friends, we could be our own bosses and make millions! The person on top of me showed me a picture of them with a nice car and a mansion and they're always traveling. But aren't you tired of always not having money, man?

And on and on and on.....

SRG01

I always tell people that there's no quick and easy way to get rich. It takes luck, discipline, and a lot of hard years to make it work.

It might take multiple generations too -- which is why I believe it's important to leave a legacy behind.

I usually tell people, if someone got rich doing a certain thing, they aren't going to tell you how they did it. They might share certain parts, but they'll always leave out something.

cdyhybrid

Pyramid schemes make my blood boil. They're designed to prey on the most vulnerable/neediest people. It's evil shit.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Pyramid schemes make my blood boil. They're designed to prey on the most vulnerable/neediest people. It's evil shit.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

But but but.... I can make an easy million with *insert pyramid scheme*

I just need to find *insert amount of vulnerable people* to pay a ridiculous amount to me so that I can also pay the person above me..... Wait a minute.

Christ, my fiance just broke up with me via text. I can't even get a face to face and this might've been the last day I ever get to see our dog. Everything is such a fucking mess right now.

For what it's worth, I'm really sorry. I hope you end up with the dog.

I can't..She technically got him right before we we're together so he wasn't really mine. But I took care of him for more than 5 years. I taught him all his tricks, hugged him to sleep, walked him. I spent more time with him than anyone else there. He felt like a son to me. I don't know to feel other than being a fucking mess right now.

zeemumu

Christ, my fiance just broke up with me via text. I can't even get a face to face and this might've been the last day I ever get to see our dog. Everything is such a fucking mess right now.

Today seems like a day for bad news all around. Sorry that happened to you.

I posted this in the LA thread but since a few of you live in Socal, I would like to ask here as well. Close friends are coming down to visit in late May for a couple of days and would much appreciate some suggestions of bars and in general stuff to do in downtown area...Thanks in advance...

Who else, not Irish, will be drinking for St. Paddy's Day?! Yes it is just another excuse for me to drink, lol.

Need to go buy a bottle of Jameson or some Guinness though.

Oh I still post! Just a little less now, been kinda busy. My GAF posts have decreased too.

Museums, food (Little Tokyo, Thaitown, SGV aka the 626.)

Hollywood sign, Hollywood in general.

Bars - The Standard, Perch... uh, I don't know I don't drink that much at bars.

Thanks! I've never gone to the Hollywood sign TBH...although security is probably beefed up now with that Hollyweed incident..

Top Bottom