• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

dohdough

Yay, thank you :D

That sounds amazing. I'm not sure if we can find lobster in Chinese restaurants here. I might see if I can order it when I go to the US.

Edit: try this 中式牛扒

You're welcome! I think it translates to Chinese colored beef if it that helps with pronounciation.

That sauce is ironically called "lobster sauce." Goes well with shrimp and crab too.

Izuna

Banned
I'm so stupid, had a fight for £513 and now the cheapest one is like £750 smh.

It's so strange too, like I was about to buy the ticket but I went to double check reviews for the agency and backed out to pick another one. Now all of a sudden, all the cheap flights are gone? That seems so wack.

I dunno if I should wait a couple days and keep watching. Ugh.

Izuna

Banned
Aha! Got my flight booked. Probably missed out on like £70 and the convenience of flying from MAN but fuck it, now the flight is shorter and I bought directly from the airline themselves.

I also get a turnover at LAS so maybe I get to see Vegas from the plane? :D

--

#excited

edit: SMFH I had a bunch of miles :S

Ashhong

CMB matches are great but damn I probably have the worst luck on that vs all the rest.

Was forced to buy the subscription to East Meet East to get a phone number from a cute girl. Maybe if I find someone I can pass the membership along and someone can change the info and use it LOL

Izuna

Banned
9/10 were Chinese masters students, the other 1/10 were rich a level students (19y/o), and an insignificant portion were Scouse Asian girls. Sadly I didn't match with the latter :(

Was fun to talk to some girls regardless.

I'll just wait until I attend more uni.

Izuna

Banned
Omg, the girl I met at the market finally added me.

I might have a food buddy.

Edit: fuck sake... Goddamnit I am so unlucky

fxiEjIU.jpg

zeemumu

Anyone know anything about the new ASUS Chromebook Flip C101?

I sort of want it.

I'm not good at gauging standard work laptops. If it can run Microsoft Office and Eclipse/Netbeans without issue then I'm good. Granted with my PC built, I'm probably gonna end up relegating my gaming laptop to general use...and sometimes WoW/Overwatch

Asian women supporting White Supremacy. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a blanket statement towards all Asian women. I recently saw an article about this Taiwanese girl who supports Neo-nazis. However, that story might be false. Even so, I ended up digging up some real examples of Asian women who married big name white supremacists. Definitely seen my fair share of girls here in China that dates white guy exclusively. Just last night I was out with a bunch of friends (it was a very diverse mixed group) at a taco place. Another table also had 2 American guys -- Trump loving American guys -- with two local girls talking shit. We heard the guys cause they were talking so loud. A lot of us just rolled our eyes.

Yet on the flip side, I also see some toxic shit spew by Asian men as well. That's why I was wondering if I should keep my mouth shut. I don't want to come off sounding like those guys either. People date whoever they want. Nobody forced these girls to date these kinds of people.

However, I feel like there are so many problems between the two Asian men and women that they also need to work out amongst themselves. There's a lot of self hatred.

cdyhybrid

Asian women supporting White Supremacy. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a blanket statement towards all Asian women. I recently saw an article about this Taiwanese girl who supports Neo-nazis. However, that story might be false. Even so, I ended up digging up some real examples of Asian women who married big name white supremacists. Definitely seen my fair share of girls here in China that dates white guy exclusively. Just last night I was out with a bunch of friends (it was a very diverse mixed group) at a taco place. Another table also had 2 American guys -- Trump loving American guys -- with two local girls talking shit. We heard the guys cause they were talking so loud. A lot of us just rolled our eyes.

Yet on the flip side, I also see some toxic shit spew by Asian men as well. That's why I was wondering if I should keep my mouth shut. I don't want to come off sounding like those guys either. People date whoever they want. Nobody forced these girls to date these kinds of people.

Whoever, I feel like there are so many problems between the two Asian men and women that they also need to work out amongst themselves. There's a lot of self hatred.
There's always a few

Whoever, I feel like there are so many problems between the two Asian men and women that they also need to work out amongst themselves. There's a lot of self hatred.

Oh. Ohhhhhh. This is the shit that r/asianamerican was talking about not too long ago re: why, not just Asian women, but women in general who date and/or marry White Supremacists.

Like cdhybrid said, there's always a few bad apples :/

I guess, for me, is I want to know why people stay in relationships like that. What attracts one to a person like that regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, culture. Besides the usual shit we hear - to be one of the good ones, to be, keyword here, the model minority. Do folks in these relationships actually expect their "lover" to change their views down the line (no matter how long it takes?)?

Are folks going, "(voice of Morty) oh... Oh geez, my husband/wife sure wants to rid people of color, but but but deep down, and I'm not talking about that deep down, hah, but deep down my lover is a good person." The same question applies to folks in abusive relationships.

The human psyche and the excuses it makes fascinate me. That's partially why I was involved with Bloods and Crips when I was younger (besides being a dumb kid), moreso Bloods, but it always fascinated me as to why people do the things they do.

Erheller

I'm not good at gauging standard work laptops. If it can run Microsoft Office and Eclipse/Netbeans without issue then I'm good. Granted with my PC built, I'm probably gonna end up relegating my gaming laptop to general use...and sometimes WoW/Overwatch

That's basically what happened with my school laptop after I built a PC this summer.

There's always a few

Yep, there's going to be a few toxic, racist, sexist, etc. people in all ethnicities

SRG01

However, I feel like there are so many problems between the two Asian men and women that they also need to work out amongst themselves. There's a lot of self hatred.

I know, or used to know, a lot of Asians that are alt/far-right. It's not an uncommon thing.

Moonkid

Dunno if I mentioned this already in the thread since it was a few months back but an Asian dude was one of the leaders of a European Association at my university. Wasn't uni-affiliated but they tried their best to squeeze their way in! There was a sad video of him arguing quite passionately ;___;

I know, or used to know, a lot of Asians that are alt/far-right. It's not an uncommon thing.

It's not simply Asians being right or alt right. It's that some of the Asian women that makes racist remarks towards Asian men, then saying their support feminism, so they don't date Asian men. Cause we all know Asian men simply can't be progressive.

If guys point out their hypocrisy, the guys will be called out for being jealous that Asian women won't date them. So it's like they lose either way.

It's something I witnessed from the sideline. When I made my original post hinting at this topic, it was a day or 2 later before I decided to talk about it. In between the posts, I was at a gathering with some friends. Another table had some Trump loving guys from Trumplandia talking loud and talking shit. We were rolling our eyes at our table. We also had 4 Americans in our group including me. With those Trump lovers are 2 local Chinese girls. I don't know what their deal is, but it could just be their general ignorance.

Here's the thing, I don't have an issue with people dating outside their race. It's fetishism plus supporting some despicable people that made me post this topic. There's definitely a subset of Asian women who support these types of people, whether it's from ignorance, or they do it willingly. If you speak out, then you're the bad guy. I have notice the Asian self hate, and girls wanting to marry up by marrying a white guy. Cause white guys are better.

It's also making me look at myself. What got me looking into myself is that I realize I've been growing less and less fond of Chinese women. I've dated non-Asians more than Asians, but partly because I don't live in an Asian neighborhood in NY. I've been here in China for almost 2 years now, and I never really bothered to date any of the girls seriously. First, I attributed it to culture clash, which I'm sure played a role in it. After 2 years, I still can't muster any real energy and effort into actually dating anyone here. There was one girl who I befriended and ended up having feelings for, but she's such a mess that I realize nothing good will come of it. But otherwise, I feel like my distaste might come from some of the issues I brought up above. It's making me feel like a hypocrite too.

SRG01

It's not simply Asians being right or alt right. It's that some of the Asian women that makes racist remarks towards Asian men, then saying their support feminism, so they don't date Asian men. Cause we all know Asian men simply can't be progressive.

If guys point out their hypocrisy, the guys will be called out for being jealous that Asian women won't date them. So it's like they lose either way.

It's something I witnessed from the sideline. When I made my original post hinting at this topic, it was a day or 2 later before I decided to talk about it. In between the posts, I was at a gathering with some friends. Another table had some Trump loving guys from Trumplandia talking loud and talking shit. We were rolling our eyes at our table. We also had 4 Americans in our group including me. With those Trump lovers are 2 local Chinese girls. I don't know what their deal is, but it could just be their general ignorance.

Here's the thing, I don't have an issue with people dating outside their race. It's fetishism plus supporting some despicable people that made me post this topic. There's definitely a subset of Asian women who support these types of people, whether it's from ignorance, or they do it willingly. If you speak out, then you're the bad guy. I have notice the Asian self hate, and girls wanting to marry up by marrying a white guy. Cause white guys are better.

It's also making me look at myself. What got me looking into myself is that I realize I've been growing less and less fond of Chinese women. I've dated non-Asians more than Asians, but partly because I don't live in an Asian neighborhood in NY. I've been here in China for almost 2 years now, and I never really bothered to date any of the girls seriously. First, I attributed it to culture clash, which I'm sure played a role in it. After 2 years, I still can't muster any real energy and effort into actually dating anyone here. There was one girl who I befriended and ended up having feelings for, but she's such a mess that I realize nothing good will come of it. But otherwise, I feel like my distaste might come from some of the issues I brought up above. It's making me feel like a hypocrite too.

Part of it has to do with cultural resentment, in that many people of color experience unhealthy assimilation to another culture. I've witnessed the aforementioned prejudicial behavior first hand, but can luckily say that it's definitely not a common thing. Asian women do date Asian men.

Having said that, what I can say is common is that Western society (or even other societies worldwide) gears people to choose Caucasian or Caucasian-passing people first, regardless of men or women. It's not that people don't choose Asian men (or women), but that it's not their first choice. That's a point of privilege that many people of color don't get to experience.

Because PoC are often not first choices, this creates a whole slew of issues when it comes to dating in the 21st century. Interconnectivity creates the illusion of supply (of top, 1% people) so anyone else gets brushed aside.

SystemBug

Part of it has to do with cultural resentment, in that many people of color experience unhealthy assimilation to another culture. I've witnessed the aforementioned prejudicial behavior first hand, but can luckily say that it's definitely not a common thing. Asian women do date Asian men.

Having said that, what I can say is common is that Western society (or even other societies worldwide) gears people to choose Caucasian or Caucasian-passing people first, regardless of men or women. It's not that people don't choose Asian men (or women), but that it's not their first choice. That's a point of privilege that many people of color don't get to experience.

Because PoC are often not first choices, this creates a whole slew of issues when it comes to dating in the 21st century. Interconnectivity creates the illusion of supply (of top, 1% people) so anyone else gets brushed aside.
why date a brown man, or woman, when you could a white person and get the added benefit of climbing the privilege ladder

ahdurian

Man I can't relate to anything you guys are talking about. I honestly can't think of any Asian who is racist like that.

same actually
i know Asians who hate other Asians from different districtis, or ones that are fueled by past events (say like Japan and Korea), but none that are inherently racist af

also, not sure if this is technically allowed in the thread, but if any of you peeps understand Korean (or just like Korean music in general), show my friend some love on YT as she just released her first video / song and album this past week

dohdough

Let's call it what it is: white supremacy. It explains why we see more Asian women with white men than Asian men with white women. It's not uncommon for Asians to buy into white supremacy and there's A LOT of internalized racism our group. It's a bit of a inside joke that a good percentage of Asian American women that are involved with work in the Asian community are dating/marrying white guys. Many Asian American girls/women will just straight up say that they won't date Asian guys because of various Asian male stereotypes a, b, and c. One of the most hilarious things I've ever heard was how someone "didn't want to be a Japanese wife," so she married a white guy and ended up being the type of wife she said she'd have to be by being with an Asian guy. This is not an uncommon sentiment.

It's the culture of white supremacy that says Asian women are ok and Asian men are sexless subservient authoritarian nerdy sex fiends. When I hear "preference" for white men, it's no more different than buying into those stereotypes. Should we be able to look past this and just be free to be with whomever? Sure! But we sure as hell aren't in a place where dating white people is innocuous and without deeper influences or connotations.

Let's call it what it is: white supremacy. It explains why we see more Asian women with white men than Asian men with white women. It's not uncommon for Asians to buy into white supremacy and there's A LOT of internalized racism our group. It's a bit of a inside joke that a good percentage of Asian American women that are involved with work in the Asian community are dating/marrying white guys. Many Asian American girls/women will just straight up say that they won't date Asian guys because of various Asian male stereotypes a, b, and c. One of the most hilarious things I've ever heard was how someone "didn't want to be a Japanese wife," so she married a white guy and ended up being the type of wife she said she'd have to be by being with an Asian guy. This is not an uncommon sentiment.

It's the culture of white supremacy that says Asian women are ok and Asian men are sexless subservient authoritarian nerdy sex fiends. When I hear "preference" for white men, it's no more different than buying into those stereotypes. Should we be able to look past this and just be free to be with whomever? Sure! But we sure as hell aren't in a place where dating white people is innocuous and without deeper influences or connotations.

Fucking White Supremacy. It's sad that it'll still exist when we are all dead and rotting.....

I think the worst one I've heard repeated is: I don't date Asian dudes because it'll be like dating my own brother. LMAO, like, what the fuck? Y'all just going to lump all the Asian dudes together like that?! Ok, bye Felicia!

Yep.

Like I said earlier, there's always a few. They don't represent the majority.

I know.

I'm concerned that the few are coloring my perception and making me a racist hypocrite, too.

I'll try to break into this later since I have a lot of work but you're honestly veering really close to a line that /r/AsianMasculinity crosses all the time and it's not a good look.

I don't know what /r/AsianMasculinity is, but like I said, I realize the hypocrisy. I'm not 100% certain, but the stuff I mentioned could be adding fuel to my distaste. Originally, I just nailed it down to culture clash and didn't over think it. I stopped worrying about finding a date and just enjoyed being alone. I mean, I can't even share a movie with local girls due to use watching it in different languages. So I decided not to bother.

I think it's just the whole "if you point out these people are racists, you get called bitter" that rubs me the wrong way.

Lol, Cow Mengde you just reminded me of how some racist and idiotic folks who say: you're the racist for calling ME a racist!!!

Back to my post..... I wonder why a minority of Asian girls who say that don't ever wonder why white girls don't say the same thing 🤔 I want to meet or hear white girls say: I don't date white guys because they remind me of my brother!!!!! Then I want to hear the answer from Asian girls who say the same thing and ask them why white girls don't spew the same shit they're saying 🤔

hirokazu

I don't know what's going on in here but in terms of racism within the (East) Asian community, I've seen a lot of prejudice towards blacks, Indians and other South Asians, and sometimes even South East Asians. Basically, everyone with skin darker than them.

As for Asian women who dating white men, that's really their choice, isn't it? I'm not really in any capacity to say whether it's right or wrong. I suppose the main point of interest is that it's a lot less common for it to be Asian men with white women.

At least in Western countries, I think the media has something to do with it. When you grow up and everyone on TV and film you idolise is white, I think that starts to become the norm. That's why I think minority representation is so important.

I sometimes worry about my nieces because they love blonde hair and blue eyes. I think they need to be exposed to Asian media more as they grow up because all the media here just glamorises white skin, blonde hair, blue eyes to them.

But then again, I was pretty much like that when I was growing up. Somehow, I did a complete 180 in preferences in high school.

I don't know what /r/AsianMasculinity is, but like I said, I realize the hypocrisy. I'm not 100% certain, but the stuff I mentioned could be adding fuel to my distaste. Originally, I just nailed it down to culture clash and didn't over think it. I stopped worrying about finding a date and just enjoyed being alone. I mean, I can't even share a movie with local girls due to use watching it in different languages. So I decided not to bother.

I think it's just the whole "if you point out these people are racists, you get called bitter" that rubs me the wrong way.
I don't know what gets posted on /r/AsianMasculinity either, but I do get a strong tinge of bitterness from your posts about it. The women who say "I don't date Asian men because..." are a small minority. The phenomenon is worthy of discussion, but blaming your lack of success is probably taking things too far.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
ESPN had our girl Mina Kimes on Highly Questionable this week, she definitely brings great energy to the show.

She's a fantastic writer as well. Her interview with Aaron Rodgers was great: http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...y-packers-qb-aaron-rodgers-unmasked-searching

Mina Kimes is fantastic. She was at the Barnwell show in Seattle I went to, and I had only heard her on the podcast, and by the end of it I might have been more in love with her then Barnwell (who is my favorite NFL writer and top 3 sportswriter in general for me).

Re: Asian dating crap - I have never dated an Indian woman seriously, all white women and a Korean woman (who was actually adopted by white parents as a young girl), so I'm probably not the person to ask. That said, the dirty looks I've gotten in Seattle have all been from older asian couples, so, who the heck knows. Racism isn't something that is just "white people" only. People form tribes, and then spend a lot of energy trying to convince themselves in various ways that their tribe is the bestest. It's one of the reasons our dialogue around race in this country is so messed up; the binary view we take on everything means there will rarely, if ever, be a discussion about moving forward rather than claiming supremacy. :(

but blaming your lack of success is probably taking things too far.

I didn't blame anyone. I haven't even been dating here in China because I realize it's a waste of time due to differences in culture. What I was saying is that observing in the sidelines and it's making me less interested. I see the toxicity and I'm afraid it's coloring my perception.

dohdough

Mina Kimes is fantastic. She was at the Barnwell show in Seattle I went to, and I had only heard her on the podcast, and by the end of it I might have been more in love with her then Barnwell (who is my favorite NFL writer and top 3 sportswriter in general for me).

Re: Asian dating crap - I have never dated an Indian woman seriously, all white women and a Korean woman (who was actually adopted by white parents as a young girl), so I'm probably not the person to ask. That said, the dirty looks I've gotten in Seattle have all been from older asian couples, so, who the heck knows. Racism isn't something that is just "white people" only. People form tribes, and then spend a lot of energy trying to convince themselves in various ways that their tribe is the bestest. It's one of the reasons our dialogue around race in this country is so messed up; the binary view we take on everything means there will rarely, if ever, be a discussion about moving forward rather than claiming supremacy. :(

Racism doesn't effect everyone equally, which is why calling someone a nigger is different from calling someone a honky. Thinking that black on white "racism" is just as bad as white on black racism is a total false equivalence and diminishes the former. It's not and has never been "both sides."

cdyhybrid

It's not white people only, but white supremacy in the US is. That's the big fish. All the other stuff is nearly insignificant in comparison.

SRG01

I can agree with your last point.

However, I do think people should take personal responsibility in the sense that they really need to learn to be happy with what they have in their romantic partners. Otherwise you get a lot of bitter people.

Yes, I totally agree. Being happy with what you have and simultaneously not settling is fundamental to successful relationships.

Oh and I forgot to say congratulations to Septimus on passing your thing.
Thanks! I'm moving right along to PMI-ACP now, and I actually meet the qualifications for PgMP, so that'll be next.

Re: dating, I've been out of the game for a long time now, but I do remember how frustrating it was to be in the bottom of the attraction totem pole. It sucked.

Top Bottom