• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

Oxn

Im gonna be straight here. Living in NYC im actually seeing more asian guys with white girls, than vice versa.

This is for the past couple of years. yet i hear differently online.

Im gonna be straight here. Living in NYC im actually seeing more asian guys with white girls, than vice versa.

This is for the past couple of years. yet i hear differently online.

It's hugely exaggerated on the internet, like usual. Anecdotally I'm with you. I saw more Asian dudes with white girls at the MN State Fair. Even though we hear it more online, it doesn't mean we should ignore it (not saying you are saying to ignore it, lol). It's a good point to bring up and discuss from time to time in here.

dramatis

There's quite a bit of resentment towards Asian females in here now, isn't there?

I mean, MY anecdotes indicate that some Asian men have pretty sexist attitudes. But I'm not here spitting on Asian men for subscribing to patriarchy while pretending they're actually allies of gender equality.

I don't know what's going on in here but in terms of racism within the (East) Asian community, I've seen a lot of prejudice towards blacks, Indians and other South Asians, and sometimes even South East Asians. Basically, everyone with skin darker than them.

At least in Western countries, I think the media has something to do with it. When you grow up and everyone on TV and film you idolise is white, I think that starts to become the norm. That's why I think minority representation is so important.

I sometimes worry about my nieces because they love blonde hair and blue eyes. I think they need to be exposed to Asian media more as they grow up because all the media here just glamorises white skin, blonde hair, blue eyes to them.

I don't know what gets posted on /r/AsianMasculinity either, but I do get a strong tinge of bitterness from your posts about it. The women who say "I don't date Asian men because..." are a small minority. The phenomenon is worthy of discussion, but blaming your lack of success is probably taking things too far.
I watch a buttload of Asian (Chinese/HK mostly) media and I feel like exposure to Asian media will just bring a different set of problems. That media also glamorizes white skin, and substitutes thinness, youth, and a specific kind of facial beauty in place of blonde hair and blue eyes. A while back I saw a comment calling Fan Bingbing old at 33 years! It is merely bonkers beauty standards of a different sort.

For the (East) Asian racism bit, in NYC I feel people have absorbed some of the American attitudes of race. Language barriers means oftentimes Asians self-segregate. From my experience, Chinese-American media often takes its material from American sources, so what you get is a translation of racial attitudes and presentation of the worst. (Can you believe Hillary's emails were a serious thing in this media too? lol) Moreover once the gossip gets going, bad stories or poor perceptions spread incredibly fast, without much accuracy.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Racism doesn't effect everyone equally, which is why calling someone a nigger is different from calling someone a honky. Thinking that black on white "racism" is just as bad as white on black racism is a total false equivalence and diminishes the former. It's not and has never been "both sides."

In the US on a country wide scale, there is no equivalence between the two, but...

It's not white people only, but white supremacy in the US is. That's the big fish. All the other stuff is nearly insignificant in comparison.

That's the unspoken assumption here. In the US.

From what I can tell, Cow Mengde is currently living in China; which is why I made the comment I did about power dynamics and tribalism. The dynamic there is going to be significantly different than in the US, and you need a more generic statement if you're going to try to come up with something that catches both the US and China. Plus, we haven't even bothered to try differentiate between country / society-wide high level power dynamics vs local power dynamics (which can skew the privilege argument dramatically depending on your local / specific situation) - which I think is another aspect of the argument that is ignored in bad faith / laziness / the internet money machine hates nuance and sophistication. That's kind of why I think most folks are just talking past each other about the whole dynamic; they're using different examples where the power dynamics applicable to that situation are different, and then trying to use them as generalities that apply to all situations. If you want a dating example of this; try asking people dating in New York versus San Francisco. You'd think you're in two different worlds.

dohdough

In the US on a country wide scale, there is no equivalence between the two, but...

That's the unspoken assumption here. In the US.

From what I can tell, Cow Mengde is currently living in China; which is why I made the comment I did about power dynamics and tribalism. The dynamic there is going to be significantly different than in the US, and you need a more generic statement if you're going to try to come up with something that catches both the US and China. Plus, we haven't even bothered to try differentiate between country / society-wide high level power dynamics vs local power dynamics (which can skew the privilege argument dramatically depending on your local / specific situation) - which I think is another aspect of the argument that is ignored in bad faith / laziness / the internet money machine hates nuance and sophistication. That's kind of why I think most folks are just talking past each other about the whole dynamic; they're using different examples where the power dynamics applicable to that situation are different, and then trying to use them as generalities that apply to all situations. If you want a dating example of this; try asking people dating in New York versus San Francisco. You'd think you're in two different worlds.

The generic statement is white supremacy.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
The generic statement is white supremacy.

I'm not sure how white supremacy is the issue about dating Chinese women in China?

Then again, I grew up somewhere where I was just assumed I was going to marry a white woman, by virtue that there were no other asians in the area, lol. I haven't dealt with the dynamics of dating asians in Seattle, so that might be a whole other ballgame (and more in line with what you are positing).

dohdough

I'm not sure how white supremacy is the issue about dating Chinese women in China?

Then again, I grew up somewhere where I was just assumed I was going to marry a white woman, by virtue that there were no other asians in the area, lol. I haven't dealt with the dynamics of dating asians in Seattle, so that might be a whole other ballgame (and more in line with what you are positing).

White supremacy doesn't just exist in the West; it's marketed all over the world. Why do you think rhinoplasties and eyelid surgeries are so popular in Asia? It isn't because we're predisposed to having polyps in their sinuses or have vision issues due to the shape of our facial anatomy. The fact that it's been internalized by certain classes of Chinese women in China goes to show how prevalent it is.

Izuna

Banned
I'm not sure double eye-lid surgery is definitely about white supremacy...

I'd also like to dispel the notion that white people are the beauty standard within (East) Asia.

There's quite a bit of resentment towards Asian females in here now, isn't there?

I mean, MY anecdotes indicate that some Asian men have pretty sexist attitudes. But I'm not here spitting on Asian men for subscribing to patriarchy while pretending they're actually allies of gender equality.

This is the reason I wasn't sure if I should post about it. Whenever people point out the self hatred racism, people just deflect it going, Asian men are sexist.

White supremacy doesn't just exist in the West; it's marketed all over the world.

Very prevalent in Hong Kong. You get treated extra nicely if you're white. If you're Asian, your mileage may vary.

I once had a discussion about helping my friend find a job in the pearl river delta area (big cities like Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Macau, and Hong Kong). I mentioned she's Filipino. The first thing I was told is to avoid looking for a job in Hong Kong because she's Filipino. They'll only hire them for housekeepers.

hirokazu

White supremacy doesn't just exist in the West; it's marketed all over the world. Why do you think rhinoplasties and eyelid surgeries are so popular in Asia? It isn't because we're predisposed to having polyps in their sinuses or have vision issues due to the shape of our facial anatomy. The fact that it's been internalized by certain classes of Chinese women in China goes to show how prevalent it is.
Asians have their own notion of beauty that also includes lighter skin, slender noses and such. This has been discussed on GAF before, but it's not necessarily because they want to be white.

It's a bit concerning. Just... put yourself out there, have a positive attitude, and just have fun whether you're single or not. Being bitter and denigrating other people's choices is a bit of a slippery slope.

I watch a buttload of Asian (Chinese/HK mostly) media and I feel like exposure to Asian media will just bring a different set of problems. That media also glamorizes white skin, and substitutes thinness, youth, and a specific kind of facial beauty in place of blonde hair and blue eyes. A while back I saw a comment calling Fan Bingbing old at 33 years! It is merely bonkers beauty standards of a different sort.
I say they need more exposure to Asian media more to let them know that the white isn't always the default, isn't always the hero. They always want to role play as white. But yeah, unhealthy notions of beauty are pervasive in Asian media too.

For the (East) Asian racism bit, in NYC I feel people have absorbed some of the American attitudes of race. Language barriers means oftentimes Asians self-segregate. From my experience, Chinese-American media often takes its material from American sources, so what you get is a translation of racial attitudes and presentation of the worst. (Can you believe Hillary's emails were a serious thing in this media too? lol) Moreover once the gossip gets going, bad stories or poor perceptions spread incredibly fast, without much accuracy.
Segregation and lack of interaction with others is certainly a part of it in my experience. People in China have the same sort of views, though they also hear stories from people in America so maybe it's the trickle down from that.

When my cousin from China visited Sydney, she was legit terrified when a black person stepped on the train. My aunt said "Don't worry, if you just keep to yourself, they won't do anything to you on the train." I was like "WTFFFFFF...? You guys serious?"

SRG01

IT'S MOONCAKE EATING DAY!!!

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Mine has white lotus paste and THREE EGG YOLKS

I once had a discussion about helping my friend find a job in the pearl river delta area (big cities like Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Macau, and Hong Kong). I mentioned she's Filipino. The first thing I was told is to avoid looking for a job in Hong Kong because she's Filipino. They'll only hire them for housekeepers.

The Hong Kong right of abode laws are absolutely disgusting.

zeemumu

Well, it's a marvelous night for a mooncake
With the stars up above in your eyes
A fantabulous night to make romance
'Neath the cover of October skies

Izuna

Banned
chinesefontdesign.com_2016-09-10_17-48-57.gif

The mooncakes made in Malaysia's the best. I don't know the brand, but I know my father shakes his head in disappointment when he eats a Malaysian mooncake. Not because it's bad, but because the Chinese ones aren't as good.

I guess we could have started in OT? Too late now to move it, unless a mod does it.. I've already sent this thread to three of my friends who are on GAF and are Asian.

TBH, I didn't want to turn it into a "who has it worse" thread, because to be totally honest, I am happy that I don't need to worry about being shot to death by cops based on my skin color. Honestly, every time I see a police shooting, I think to myself, damn. I am so effing lucky.

That thread made me realize that a lot of people might not know when Asians ARE discriminated against, because we don't say anything. Because, yes, not getting into a better school than the one you're going to, doesn't really compare in the same way to a cop killing your brother. But, that doesn't make the discrimination any less real.

I'm also kinda annoyed how many people accused ME of being racist, or trying to "take away college spots from other minorities to give to Asians." What? No, I was just bitching that colleges discriminate against Asians, and also bitching about how "well-rounded" has been used AGAINST us.

/ties you down
/insets metal contraception in your mouth

Now you will eat ALL the food.

The real issue with all this affirmative action talk is that no on ever looks at the fact that admission numbers never decrease for white students and really it just serves as another insidious distractor pitting Asians and other minorities against one another over scraps.

Soju? I haven't had much of soju tbh. I've only drank it with one of my friends who is more into Korean shit than I am. It's okay, I guess. It is good with Sapporo Beer though. I remember we did shots with it and I very much enjoyed it.

clav

I don't think I've ever had mooncake

Kinda overrated, especially if you're concerned about prediabetes or family with diabetes history.

Very pretty looking though. Not all mooncakes taste good.

Not a fan of the egg yolks either.

Snowskin mooncakes > regular baked mooncakes

IT'S MOONCAKE EATING DAY!!!

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Mine has white lotus paste and THREE EGG YOLKS

The Hong Kong right of abode laws are absolutely disgusting.

Mooncakes are good

Overheard a relative complaining how the holiday is now meat eating day.

Izuna

Banned
Soju (and Shochu) are middle tier mixers and middle tier booze in general.

Sweet Potato in particular is one of those things to only try once.

I've learned that to refuse a drink from Hmong folks is to be disrespectful/rude to the person who poured the drink and/or shot......... So it's hard for me to refuse a drink unless the people I'm drinking with doesn't adhere to that standard/rule.

soju > sake > baijiao > viet rice wine

Ehh, I like sake more than soju though. At least, my relatives haven't introduced me to a soju that I liked while I was in Korea.

Speaking of which, I need to learn my mother language in a few weeks before I head back over there.

I don't remember the Szechuan sauce being anything special, but I do remember eating a crap ton of McNuggets during that period because of the $2.99 sale that ran in conjunction

I didn't even know there was Szechuan sauce for mcnuggies, lol until I saw Rick and Morty. I was too young and my family didn't eat any fast food during the craze. I would imagine it's not that good.

I know about the lactose intolerant thing, but that never applied to my family, friends, and myself. There is heart burn when we drink hard liquor though :(

What's everybodies spicyness levels at? I can't get past ghost pepper. I tried that shit with grilled chicken wings before...... Nope. Nah. Nuh uh. Okay, I'll try it again when it comes down to it, lol.

Top Bottom