• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asked about the next Half-Life, Gabe says “don’t die in the next five years” (Update: FAKE)

Helios

UPDATE: turns out this was a troll. Valve confirms that the email purportedly from Gabe is "not ours"
https://www.pcgamesn.com/next-half-life-vr

In response to a fan asking “will I be able to play a new chapter of Half-Life before my life ends?” Valve CEO Gabe Newell has said “just don’t die in the next five years or so.” He concluded his email reply with a winky face. A WINKY FACE.

The news comes to us in the latest episode of Newell emails, a series of YouTube videos by Tyler McVicker, who has built his channel on covering Valve’s games (check it out below). McVicker is in regular correspondence with Gabe and puts fan questions to him, reading out the responses. Thus, we can at the least be sure Gabe said this.

Before anyone leaps to the conclusion that “MEME MEME THREE CONFIRMED” or whatever, let’s remember a story from last November, when images of a Valve-built VR headset leaked onto the internet. Upload VR then claimed, via internal sources, to have verified not only the headset’s existence but that Valve would sell it in a bundle with its Knuckle VR controller and a Half-Life prequel. Note also that the email in McVicker’s email is dated November 8 – around the time these reports first surfaced.

I can see the wisdom of this. It sidesteps the impossible expectations of actually continuing the Half-Life saga while retaining the appeal of perhaps the most-romanticised IP in PC gaming.

The other possibilities include, as ever, another episode or a full-blown Half-Life 3, but if the decade and change since Half-Life 2: Episode 2 has taught us anything it’s that we should smother all hope of such things until they’re physically in our hands. Or in our Steam libraries, at least.

Last edited:
lol

Ok, Gabe. Right back at you, big guy.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Codes 208

I’d imagine they’d have to outsource it. Didn’t a good chunk of the OG devs move on to other projects? I know their l4d team left to form turtle rock studios.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
well steam getting fucked by epic origin and beth they better make us fucking stay for endgame.
hl3 need to push and sell high end gfx cards.
and needs to sell VR .

Last edited:

Arkage

Banned
This is fake, but Half Life VR is real. So still expect a Half Life game within 5 years, or likely within 1 year.

I can hardly wait for some minigame VR compilation in the HL universe that requires I buy an expensive headset and section off a room to play and get bored/physical tired of doing in an hour or so.

Last edited:
Okay, I'll stay out any tall buildings, religious institutions, schools, or angry mobs being policed by British soldiers in a powder keg of tense relations potentially leading to a revolutionary war in March 1770. But only for five years.

I can hardly wait for some minigame VR compilation in the HL universe that requires I buy an expensive headset and section off a room to play and get bored/physical tired of doing in an hour or so.
I can hardly wait for people find out that it's (already confirmed) a full AAA game alongside 2 other full AAA games Valve are making for VR, playable with cheap $200 headsets that have never required sectioning off a room to play.

Next time do your research instead of being sarcastic.

Last edited:
I'd take a new Team Fortress over Half-Life.

Or a Portal 3 or a Left 4 Dead 3 (at least we're getting a spiritual successor in that case)

That's what's so sad about Valve is it's just not about Half-Life, there's plenty of great IPs going unused.

Last edited:
Prove to me they can produce an original modern AAA videogame first.

After that we can talk about them possibly not bastardizing the last of their war chest IPs with some bullshit microtransaction based game designed-by-economic psychologist committee.

It doesn't matter though, in a few years this quote will fade into memory like so many of the others that preceded it.

Why? Because even if Valve is making some new Half-life entry, they won't release it because then the world would see how far they've fallen. The talent and the drive is dead at that company, replaced by bean counters and peer review bonus chasers.

That's why they are chasing trends now instead of setting them. I'm sure some worthless hacks there are prototyping a battle royale DOTA game in Source 2 as we speak.

Last edited:
Prove to me they can produce an original modern AAA videogame first.

After that we can talk about them possibly not bastardizing the last of their war chest IPs with some bullshit microtransaction based game designed-by-economic psychologist committee.

It doesn't matter though, in a few years this quote will fade into memory like so many of the others that preceded it.

Why? Because even if Valve is making some new Half-life entry, they won't release it because then the world would see how far they've fallen. The talent and the drive is dead at that company, replaced by bean counters and peer review bonus chasers.

That's why they are chasing trends now instead of setting them. I'm sure some worthless hacks there are prototyping a battle royale DOTA game in Source 2 as we speak.
This quote isn't even real, and how are Valve chasing trends (on the whole) when they are making 3 AAA VR games paired with their own hardware, and therefore setting trends probably moreso than any single developer out there?

Last edited:
This quote isn't even real, and how are Valve chasing trends (on the whole) when they are making 3 AAA VR games paired with their own hardware, and therefore setting trends probably moreso than any single developer out there?

Please show me these amazing AAA titles Valve announced years ago. I'm waiting.

Meanwhile, see below for fruits of their labor in their previous endeavors into various iterations of Half-life Episode 3, Portal 3 and Left 4 Dead 3 from the past decade:

Please show me these amazing AAA titles Valve announced years ago. I'm waiting.

Meanwhile, see below for fruits of their labor in their previous endeavors into various iterations of Half-life Episode 3, Portal 3 and Left 4 Dead 3 from the past decade:

I'm waiting too. That doesn't mean they aren't trying to push the envelope. We can see part of that from their hardware development.

Helios

UPDATE: The email from Gabe Newell implying that another Half-Life would release in five years was fake.

epicnemesis

Quit playin’ games with my heart (my Heart).

Baby baby, the love that we had was so strong. Don’t leave me hangin here forever. Oh baby baby, this is not right, let’s stop this tonihiiiiight.

Top Bottom