• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asking A Girl Out Via Text?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erekiddo

There's a girl at my work that's somewhat of a new hire (less than 2 years) who has been talking to me more than usual lately. She's been friendly to me in person and lately has found more and more reasons to come to my desk for things.

I know dating at work is usually frowned upon, this thread isn't about that. Please keep the "don't shit where you eat" out of this topic, if possible. I'm aware of the risks.

I initially added her on Facebook and she added me back and had resorted to communicating with me through there on messenger. This lasted for about a week, until I was sick of the FB Messenger app and asked for her phone number. She gave it to me and we switched to that.

We've been talking in person (when we can) and through text ever since - and I'm at the point where I'd like to ask her out on a date but the only immediate way to do this is through a text. Is texting a girl to ask for an outing an acceptable way of things nowadays? Is it off-putting to the female recipient or make me look weak?

Our shift, breaks and lunches are extremely staggered - and I'm not going to approach her at her desk or the break room to ask this in front of other co-workers.

Experience on this, GAF?

Girls don't find me sexy enough so I wouldn't know

*sadface*

I say do it in a sexy elaborate and elaborately sexy e-mail.

Uh, I've done it before with varying degrees of success. But work? Sure ask someone if you're not that concerned.

Text is a hell of a paper trail for HR, though...

PreFire

If you don't want to call her..

A "Hey. what you doing later, let's grab something to eat" text would do the trick.

You guys already seem to know each other. I'm sure she'd be up for a meal together. You take it from there.

Good luck

213372bu

Banned
Just say it in a normal conversation.

"Do you want to get coffee aftwerwards?"

Sounds so much less forced, it doesn't cause unnecessary awkwardness, and is the best way to handle it in general.

You also get to tell if someone genuinely wants to do anything with you without having to worry about intention through text.

It's just so much easier.

Edit: And I know you think it might be awkward to go up to her, but just say it when you see her naturally.

Uh, I've done it before with varying degrees of success. But work? Sure ask someone if you're not that concerned.

this is an excellent point, but if you don't work on the same team/in the same department then go for it. you could even work the schedule mismatch into your approach:

"Hey, I never get a chance to really talk to you at work, would you like to grab a bite later?"

Mr-Joker

Banned
I have done it before, while nothing came out of it the girl liked it and called me sweet.

There's nothing wrong in asking a girl out via text.

I think it would be fine. Might as well if you really can't ask in person.

Girls don't find me sexy enough so I wouldn't know

*sadface*

I say do it in a sexy elaborate and elaborately sexy e-mail.

There's always one in these kinds of threads...

:( don't be so down on yourself

Shaanyboi

Banned
I think a text is an inherently casual kinda thing. Asking someone out to coffee or something. I think once you're there, then ask if she wants to dinner some time or something. I dunno. There's no rule on this sorta thing, everyone views it kinda differently.

Do it man. I asked one of my guy friends if he'd like to take me out some time via text.

A year and 2 months later we got married. We've been married for over 5 years, have a three year old daughter, and are expecting a son in December.

This.

You have her number and the only way you can ask her out is through text? That might be most millennial thing I've ever read.
My friend refuses to call and texts girls 100% of the time.

He is by far the most successful with women out our entire circle, and can date or fuck any girl he chooses. Get with the times grandpa. :p

Machina

Banned
My friend refuses to call and texts girls 100% of the time.

He is by far the most successful with women out our entire circle, and can date or fuck any girl he chooses. Get with the times grandpa. :p

Does he look like he wouldn't look out of place in One Direction?

Ultima_5

Idk I normally do it. Just make sure to call it a date and not say hang out or something. And have a plan on where to go.

Note. This is how most people in their twenties ask people out I'm sure.

Kalamari

It's fair game I think, nothing wrong with it. If she says no, you have enough time to come up with a proper response, rather than being put on the spot when asking in person or over the phone. My favorite response when rejected is "haha, I was only kidding."

Ultima_5

It's fair game I think, nothing wrong with it. If she says no, you have enough time to come up with a proper response, rather than being put on the spot when asking in person or over the phone. My favorite response when rejected is "haha, I was only kidding."

Woah. Idk if I'd respond to that.

I've been luckily lately. Normally I just text the girl for awhile and they get tired of waiting and ask when I'm free

When I intitate I just wait til theyve been responding relatively quickly for a string of text and just say "hey we should do a date soon. You like sushi?"

Faustek

Ring ring: Hi <girl>, feel like having fun at the <your spot> this Friday?

Or just text her. For your own sake and hers just ask her out in the way that is closest at hand. If you haven't texted her today and you see her tomorrow ask her out again then.
You will not be beaten just for asking.

Dennis

Banned
Do it!

Just cross your fingers she isn't one of the crazy ones when you think it won't work out and try to break it off by text.

d7W9lzp_ntk323.jpg

uW8gI1Q_ntk33a.jpg

5u7iC1N_ntk35p.jpg

WAV17tG_ntk368.jpg

Rodin

If you don't want to call her..

A "Hey. what you doing later, let's grab something to eat" text would do the trick.

You guys already seem to know each other. I'm sure she'd be up for a meal together. You take it from there.

Good luck
Yeah this is good if you want to do it via text.

Do it!

Just cross your fingers she isn't one of the crazy ones when you think it won't work out and try to break it off by text.

*crazy texts*
Oh my god i'm crying

Iolo

At first I was like tl;dr to the crazy texts, but then I read it, and she might have some good points.

OP said:
Is it off-putting to the female recipient

Also I read this in the most robotic voice possible.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Of course Dennis shows up and completely demolishes everything :lol

Guy at work was asked to resign by HR based entirely on an IM he sent to a co-worker asking her out. She turned him down and 2 years later when she didn't get a promotion, she blamed him and used it as proof. He didn't fight it because wtf, and the company paid him off pretty well to basically sweep it under the rug.

Do it man. I asked one of my guy friends if he'd like to take me out some time via text.

A year and 2 months later we got married. We've been married for over 5 years, have a three year old daughter, and are expecting a son in December.

THIS COULD BE YOU OP!

sakuori

Do it!

*images*

Damn I remember the thread for this. Pretty insane lol

Anyway, OP. It's fine.
The guy I go out with texts me or gives a message via Facebook when he asks.

Exr

Ask her out in person man come on. Never ask people out through texts, its cringey asking people out over texts.

Dali

I think text is perfectly acceptable for something like asking someone out nowadays. Like everything we do is text now. Still I'd reserve heavy stuff like deaths and breakups for something else, but asking someone out? Text is fine.

dralla

Yea man, just do it. Doesn't matter how you ask. If she wants to go out with you she'll say yes regardless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom