• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asking A Girl Out Via Text?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
In person or over the phone is better. I have done it through text a few times though. It does not matter too much. If she is interested you should be good with any option.

If you don't want to call her..

A "Hey. what you doing later, let's grab something to eat" text would do the trick.

You guys already seem to know each other. I'm sure she'd be up for a meal together. You take it from there.

Good luck

Yeah if OP doesnt see her often at work and keeps the text casual, it's fine. Asking to get something to eat is okay. Just never do anything too important over text.

Ask her out in person man come on. Never ask people out through texts, its cringey asking people out over texts.

What's cringy about it? I do it all the time. It's how people communicate with each other - I don't see the issue.

I'd say go for it, A mate of mine proposed to his girl via text when he was sitting with us playing video games that was hella awkward but it worked .

Similar situation as OP. A group of us went out to dinner, I asked her to go to a luxury theater with me in person. Made the plans via text. We had a 1.5 month dalliance (no sex) over the summer. We still see each other almost daily.

OP, people use online dating today. A lot of people ask each other out via text or message programs. That's perfectly fine.

That said, I don't see this ending well. No, I'm not talking about dating someone at work. I'm talking you misreading her thinking she's interested.

If there's already some positive energy there, asking by text shouldn't be an issue, especially if there are extenuating circumstances preventing you from asking in person.

Good luck mayne

Reading threads like this on here gives the impression that basic things in life are so complicated. I get very confused, then I close the thread and I'm like, "oh wait, it's not that complicated".

Bry0

OP, people use online dating today. A lot of people ask each other out via text or message programs. That's perfectly fine.

That said, I don't see this ending well. No, I'm not talking about dating someone at work. I'm talking you misreading her thinking she's interested.

Who cares though? If she says no then move on.
Saves OP time if anything.

Maddocks

Do it however you are most comfortable. If you see her and feel like asking her out right then and there then go for it. Maybe she might not be around or you are both busy during the day you would ask so ask her via text.

There really is no right or wrong way.

PSYGN

You can do that. I mean she was content with just chatting to you through messenger. If it were me though I'd find a way to ask her verbally because in my mind it feels more natural and comes off as more confident. Since you have her number what's stopping you from popping the question through voice?

Reading threads like this on here gives the impression that basic things in life are so complicated. I get very confused, then I close the thread and I'm like, "oh wait, it's not that complicated".

Millennials trying to out-Millennial each other. It's sad, really :)

Erekiddo

Not the case. She texts me a lot. I've woken up to a good morning text from her on several occasions.

More to it than that, but that's a different layer. I detect interest.

I have to wonder.

Do guys out there honestly just send women dick pics?

Like as an ice breaker?

I like to think, as lame as I am, I'll never be that lame.

I never have. I mean with an ex-gf I have and stuff since we sent dirty pics back and forth but never like oh here is my dick to some girl i just met or some random girl i just started talking to.

Brakke

Banned
You're creating problems for yourself cut that shit out. Just say it to her face in the hallway or call her. Why this half-measure of non-reciprocal communication?

You're creating problems for yourself cut that shit out. Just say it to her face in the hallway or call her. Why this half-measure of non-reciprocal communication?

What does any of this mean?

How does it create problems (aside from the co-worker angle)? How is texting non-reciprocal?

dejay

Banned
"Fancy some <<insert cuisine>> after work some time this week?" If she gives you a gentle brush off you're no worse for wear and you know where you stand.

If you're communicating a lot via text already, it's very natural to ask her out using the same method.

"Fancy some <<insert cuisine>> after work some time this week?" If she gives you a gentle brush off you're no worse for wear and you know where you stand.

If you're communicating a lot via text already, it's very natural to ask her out using the same method.

Nothing about the way you asked that sounds natural, though. Would you really ask a potential date if she "fancies" some Chinese food? Yikes.

Nola

If you can't have a moment alone to ask then absolutely ok to ask via text, especially since y'all talk in that way a lot anyway. I'm a girl and see no problem with it. Good luck, OP! :)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
It can be done, but in another situation might be better if possible, though context can mean a lot.

I actually asked out this person I've been with for a while now day after a New Years had gone by. She was texting me and I was texting her, and we had been hitting it off after chatting for over a year at the time, but she was dead-set on achieving a goal in school for her future and though she had dated before, she had never really been to close to anyone like that and hadn't gone very far in any sort of relationship and broke it off with them, and at the time over the last several months I had realized I liked her (I have a history of dating too and know more about myself in this area because of it), but she was apprehensive to really letting herself come to like someone. Viewed herself more as someone who wasn't really one for relationships from her past experiences. She was just telling me over text since winter break was ending her studies would keep her busy, we might not be able to talk or hang much, it was kind of half-hearted but I did sense what was going on. I decided if I didn't say anything now, she was probably going to slip away from me, and I didn't want it to come to that, so right then and there I just bluntly told her what was on my mind, how I felt for her, and she didn't need to return the feelings or feel she needed to answer me, but I just couldn't let things slip by and end like this.

In retrospective, I am very glad I did that, she is used to taking on things herself and focusing in her studies and work, and to most she can seem emotionless at times, but she's a deep-feeler and contracts a lot of it in herself, but she's opened up a lot more with me over the time we've been dating. When I asked her out, she called me and we talked for a while, she was in tears at the time. The texting made sense in that moment to confess rather than call to do it, I realized she was processing things and trying to decide where she wanted to go with her life, and maybe it was selfish of me to spring that on her, but I don't regret it at all, even if it didn't work out.

While asking someone out by text isn't 'optimal', it definitely can work, I guess depending on your guy's relationship and situation.

american_splendor_01.jpg

Not the case. She texts me a lot. I've woken up to a good morning text from her on several occasions.

More to it than that, but that's a different layer. I detect interest.

wtf good morning text = she wants you. There's no doubt, she wouldn't care if you asked her out in ketchup packets.

wtf good morning text = she wants you. There's no doubt, she wouldn't care if you asked her out in ketchup packets.

I'll have to try that. Since I'm in bangkok now, maybe I'll squirt out the words with some sriracha sauce.

I wonder how many people who are anti-texting also ask the girl's father for permission before asking them out :p

unless you can't see her face to face, sure go for it

seeing her face to face just shows that you put the actual effort of asking her out

Write it on his dick and send it to her.

dick pic might be the only possible way that he screws it up at this point.

"asking her out" is just a formality. He clearly wants this girl to be a bigger part of his life, she feels the same way based off what he said, these things should just work out naturally. Yes, even for someone who has to check with GAF first. Get her to a movie/dinner whatever and just let biology do its thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom