• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asphalt 9: Legends announced for Switch.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Gameloft is bringing Asphalt 9: Legends to Switch, the company announced today. A release is planned for this summer.

Here’s some additional information, along with a trailer:

Created by Gameloft Barcelona in 2018, Asphalt 9: Legends quickly became the critically acclaimed and multi-awarded reference of mobile arcade racing games.

In this Nintendo Switch version, players will find the same fun, arcade racing experience where they can perfect their skills, prove their worth, and become legends by cruising across awe-inspiring tracks set around the world. They will collect and unlock world famous licensed hypercars and stunning tracks by racing through the robust single player campaign.

Asphalt 9: Legends launches with nearly 60 super and hyper cars including some of the fastest, rarest, and most prestigious cars ever made, such as the Bugatti Chiron, the McLaren P1 and the Lamborghini Terzo Millennio, exclusive to Asphalt 9: Legends.

Asphalt 9: Legends supports up to 8 players in online play free-for-all and up to four player local split screen. Split screen functionality allows players to race on one of the 42 tracks available, with up to three local opponents with the new offline gameplay mode.

Last edited:

stranno

Every 4 players splitscreen game for NSW is well received.

Gameloft Barcelona should also port Xtreme, it was a great Motorstorm clone with the Asphalt twist.

I hope they do the freemium removal right this time, Modern Combat 5 could have been better.

Last edited:

Banned
asphalt 9 is awful. absolutely awful, especially as a handheld game.

Asphalt 8 was way better and has so much content by now, that would have been the better choice for a port.

Asphalt 9 is so dumbed down and boring compared to 8

Rise from the grave.

No info about when it's gonna be released neither it's pricing neither what's included in the game.

Its real arcade racing, you can boost, you can destroy other cars (maybe too easily from the looks of it) this might scratch my burnout itch. Destructible environments look like icing on the cake. Definitely keeping an eye on this one.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Rise from the grave.

No info about when it's gonna be released neither it's pricing neither what's included in the game.

I’m wary of anything that came off Mobile, but that actually looks fun. Really liked that there seems to be some way of triggering mass destruction too.

Birdo

Banned
I love the Asphalt games (Even the DS ones). They got better in quality with each release. Now I'd say they are at Criterion-level.

And there are never enough new arcade racers.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Playing the iPhone version. You cannot steer the car only drift,boost,360 and choose its path. It’s like an endless runner.

Wonder if the switch version is the same or an actual racer ?

Barnabot

EDIT:

Release date is 08/10/2019.

Pre-load game size is 1.6 gb.

Just confirmed after checking the Nintendo eShop.

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
Just read that you can't play offline (Only quick race mode)........ Another one for the avoid pile.

Why are racing games all doing this now for Single Player modes? The Crew 2, GT Sport, NFS. Is there something about racing a car against AI that reeeealy needs your console to be connected to a server?

stranno

Just read that you can't play offline (Only quick race mode)........ Another one for the avoid pile.

Why are racing games all doing this now for Single Player modes? The Crew 2, GT Sport, NFS. Is there something about racing a car against AI that reeeealy needs your console to be connected to a server?
It is a freemium game so connection is mandatory.

In Modern Combat they scrapped out most freemium content in order to make an almost offline campaign (there were still some XP mechanics), but this is just an straight port from mobile.

FrostyJ93

I wouldn't be shocked if Switch got a lot of mobile ports next year now that the Lite is out. Can totally see CoD Mobile and Shadowgun Legends getting ported.

Fox Mulder

I tried it, but the races are like less than a minute long. WTF?

Asphalt is a f2p mobile game focused on grinding and MTs where you wait to refuel, watch ads, and single cars are put on sale for $50.

The racing is shallow and simple but fine enough for mobile. I wouldn’t want to play it on console where real racing games are available.

Last edited:
It's pretty meh. Image quality is pretty decent, but the framerate is inconsistent. The drifting feels bad, but overall the actual racing feels fine. Like most F2P games, the menus are sensory overload of MTs and other goofy shit.

I've been looking for a decent racing game on switch and this doesn't really scratch that itch for me. Maybe I'll check out Grid.

Yea I was interested but now I'm not touching it. I give props to FH4 for letting you play offline, when I saw the reveal I thought it was gonna be always online and use the "shared world" excuse that so many people fall for, but they didn't do it.

I downloaded it just to see if it could actually be any good. I deleted it before I even finished the first race. Terrible as I guess I should have expected.

prag16

Banned
lol mate there isnt a plot no voice actors or anything its just racing this is kinda a stupid question
Futurama-Fry.jpg

Top Bottom