• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assad hails Syrian regime's capture of Palmyra from ISIS

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Syrian and Russian governments have hailed their recapture of the ancient oasis city of Palmyra from Islamic State, ending a 10-month ordeal that saw the destruction of some of the historic site’s most famed monuments.

The battle for the city is the latest in a string of defeats for Isis, now in retreat across Syria and Iraq, where it once controlled vast tracts of territory: nearly half of Syria and the desert plains of Nineveh and most of Anbar in Iraq.

Palmyra’s reclamation by Assad’s army, after weeks of intense combat, was aided by some of the heaviest Russian airstrikes since Moscow launched its military intervention last autumn. It is also a significant morale boost for the embattled Syrian strongman as well as the Kremlin.

“The liberation of the historic city of Tadmur (Palmyra) today is an important achievement and is evidence of the efficacy of the strategy adopted by the Syrian army and its allies in the war on terrorism,” Assad told a French delegation in Damascus.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/27/syrian-regime-forces-retake-all-of-palmyra-from-isis

Any ISIS defeat is a good news

With the amount of countries in the world at war with ISIS, would it be wrong to call this World War III?

Beefy

ISIS will do another attack soon. They are losing a lot of ground so will get more and more desperate.

Xe4

Banned
On one hand fuck ISIS. On the other hand fuck Assad almost as much. I suppose it is a victory in which the slightly less horrible evil wins. Sucks that we find ourselves here when those that started the protests all those years ago had nothing but the best intentions, and Assad said "fuck that, and fuck you, got mine".

With ISIS losing turf get ready for a new wave of ''refugees'' this spring.

Great news. Glad to hear Assad reclaiming from ISIS.

I completely agree. The only way to defeat ISIS is with boots on the ground. Western air strikes and drones are useless in this war.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom