• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin’s Creed THE MOVIE |SPOILER THREAD| The Spanish Inquisition (for 35% runtime)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
I never understood why Assbender decided to get involved with a video game franchise. Do these people not know?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
BTW has this dude ever disclosed his relationship with Ubisoft? Looking at his twitter and posts here makes me think he's not coming clean on his relationship with that company.

I can't think of an account on here that does more shilling.
1.Look up the definition of shilling
2.I have not been paid by Ubisoft in anyway shape or form and if you follow the pattern of my posts, they're most of the time simple fact checking in response to easily correctable fud, hence the majority of them including links to visual sources. You'll also find that Ubisoft is not the only company that I do simple fact checking with. They just happen to be the one that requires the most fact checking on this forum, which thankfully, as I noted earlier today, is becoming more common.

Retsudo

i paid 10 dollars to see this

watching this movie was a cross between having your dentist fuck up a root canal and drinking the juices of a ghost pepper through your asshole. i would rather chew on asphalt than watch this shit again.

Jesus christ now thats some picture you painted there.

I've seen a lot of shit movies in my life, so this won't break me, but i'll still wait until it's on Netflix or Amazon or something.

Eusis

There's people who play Mario games for the exploration. It's a crazy world out there.
I'd say it's more a spice that enrichens it. Especially as ideally exploration rewards you with new stages or convenient power ups.

Problem being that for AC it seems to be pretty much throwing in cilantro for a soup served to a group of people with most of whom genetically predisposed to hate cilantro. And rarely if ever letting up.

Anyways what is the past/present ratio here? That's what I mainly care about.

Sai-kun

Banned
2.I have not been paid by Ubisoft in anyway shape or form and if you follow the pattern of my posts, they're most of the time simple fact checking in response to easily correctable fud, hence the majority of them including links to visual sources. You'll also find that Ubisoft is not the only company that I do simple fact checking with. They just happen to be the one that requires the most fact checking on this forum, which thankfully, as I noted earlier today, is becoming more common.

This is definitely a post by someone who is getting paid by Ubisoft.

Epcott

I was going to ask of this makes mention of "The ones who came before."

And then I remembered that if the games forgot about them, the film surely would as well.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
I was going to ask of this makes mention of "The ones who came before."

And then I remembered that if the games forgot about them, the film surely would as well.
... The games didn't forget about them? The last game's story line ended with an isu about to be revived by a Cloak of Eden. Do you even Assassin's Creed?

Anyways, sad to hear that this movie might not be great, I was super optimistic.

vareon

Just got back from watching it.

"LMAO" is my reaction.

I can't call myself a fan Assassin's Creed, but I played quite a lot of them. They're a comfort game where I can explore recreations of historical places, combined with somewhat intriguing historical events linked to the game's Templar vs Assassin lore.

The movie took everything bad about the game and made it a movie somehow. I don't get it.

CloudWolf

Just got back from watching it.

"LMAO" is my reaction.

I can't call myself a fan Assassin's Creed, but I played quite a lot of them. They're a comfort game where I can explore recreations of historical places, combined with somewhat intriguing historical events linked to the game's Templar vs Assassin lore.

The movie took everything bad about the game and made it a movie somehow. I don't get it.
Oh, oh, oh! Are there scenes with Fassbender sitting on a bench eavesdropping on people?

vareon

Oh, oh, oh! Are there scenes with Fassbender sitting on a bench eavesdropping on people?

There are a few moments that actually feels like AC, like hiding in plain sight with other people (only in the last bit IIRC) and jump kill (which looks a bit awkward). Other than that the action could be like any other movies.

Everytime we get into old Spain we see all the assassins ready to strike without even being in shadows.

SentryDown

It's going to be fun because it's Ubisoft but I do hope they make a patch for this movie, I feel like they could change ~15 minutes and have a 3.5 stars movie easily. Here is my suggested patch notes :

- Start the movie with an AMV-like montage about the first civilization, fragments of Eden and assassins vs templars conflict through ages (fans are going to love it and newbies might understand the plot)
- Re-shoot the first Callum scene when he's a kid to make it somewhat credible and understandable (bonus points if you follow up with an intro sequence about the 30-years after)
- Remove some of the Marion Cotillard dialogues, we now know about the meta-story, she doesn't need to explain it everytime she speaks. It will also help Callum as he'll look less dumb when he tries to make sense in conversations with her
- Fix the weird AI interactions with assassins in Abstergo facility. Just make it so they appear at the end and do their assassin stuff.

Busty

Banned
Looks like Tom Hardy just became too busy for a Splinter Cell film.

While Sony Pictures just looked at that Rotten Tomatoes score and said "Man, we have to get that Watch Dogs film out ASAP!"

Bishop89

I didnt mind it, i wouldnt watch it another time, but i wasnt disgusted by it.

+Fassbender awesome as always
+The historical parkour and a lot of the quick combat moves were really awesome
-that freaken smoke/smog in the historical scenes, my god... way to cover up what could have been amazing visuals.
-the constant shifting between modern/historical times during parkour/combat.
-music was totally forgettable.

Can someone explain what happened at the end with Sophia? I couldnt understand a couple lines she said. Is she now on the revenge path against the assassins or....?

jett

D-Member

Crossing Eden
(Yesterday, 10:41 PM)

You can't fool us Yves!

why is Coutillard cast as Irons' daughter but carry a non-native speaker's accent while Irons is a regular Brit?

so miss cast

usually it is the parents that carry the heavier non-native speaker accent than the children

Toa TAK

Banned
Just got out of this. Wanted to see this last night but had to make a drive cross-state.

Anyone who's not an AC fan should probably stay away.

That said, as an AC fan, this is actually as good as we're ever going to get for a movie based off it. It's pretty well done for an adaptation of Assassin's Creed of all things. They nail everything in the lore and just overall world of Assassin's Creed. The carriage chase the in the beginning was edited and shot horribly, but the rest of the action beats are fine after that. I really dug the constant transitions in and out of the Animus, as that's something I've personally always wanted to see in the games.

Characters beyond the Fass and Cotillard are pretty weak, but the modern day staff are pretty ripe for characterization. The historical segments sans the film's intro are pretty much where the action happens, save for the modern day escape. Everything about this movie is pure Assassin's Creed right down to a guy falling into a haystack. And when I say pure AC, this is all the good and bad about the series minus the First Civilization (they get a mention, but as a spitball guess instead of being a known entity).

Dug the score, but man, the movie has a heavy, self-serious tone throughout (like the games, really) so I hope no one expects much humor throughout. The effects for the Animus are crazy cool and while we do see the Apple in action, it doesn't really DO anything but spout some CG fog unlike the games. The final assassination was what you can pretty much expect. Like an anticlimactic finish in some of the games, you get one here, too. Last thought, I thought they tied it nicely with the dedication to the Creed through Maria and Cal's mom and how that leads to Callum's recognition that he had a place in the Creed.

I see a lot of "sequel-bait" posts but there wasn't anything in there that showed as much, just an awful cut to black as he does a leap of faith (but he cut happens as he MOVES to do it). I think AC fans will get a kick out of it and it's clear Ubisoft made the right choice to be as involved as possible to keep to the world of Assassin's Creed.

Menitta

Just got out of the theatre. I thought the parts in the past were legitimately good and cool. Everything else, boring as hell. The actress who played Sophia was terrible.

How did they fuck up the Animus? How!? It's a fucking bed! Now it's some dumb 3D Maneuver Gear shit! I didn't like how they were constantly cutting back and forth to Cal during the past sections. It made those parts feel kinda disjointed.

I agree with the post above mine. Anyone who isn't an AC fan shouldn't see this. It's not that great. I bet the next Assassins Creed movie will be so much better.

Veedot

This movie bored the hell out of me, Ive seen much worst films but it wasn't even entertaining in a dumb resident evil way. My friend fell asleep 15 minutes In and I wish I walked out. This movie does nothing to make you care whats going on. Though the action scenes in the past are kinda neat

I never understood why Assbender decided to get involved with a video game franchise. Do these people not know?

He gets to dress up in renaissance shit, do some cool stuff on screen and get paid for it. I doubt he even cares what the source material is or if it will translate well to screen.

Plus this kind of movie is shot out of sequence. So they likely did all the on location for Spain, wherever that was actually, so he potentially gets a free vacation out of it to.

iGeodude

I just got back from seeing it and thought it was pretty good. I actually liked that they changed the Animus to be more interactive. I thought the adaptation from video game to movie was pretty good. Some stuff needed better explanation, like the Apple, but overall I felt this movie was setup for potential sequels.

Zapages

The start of movie took the script from the original Prince of Persia: Assassins with protecting the prince. I don't know if anyone noticed. The middle was great, which was set in the past with parkour action.

The last quarter of the movie just plain sucked. Also music choices was just sad.

The new animus sucked. I am sorry, that was like toy claw attached to someone.

The action was great and especially the past portion. The present day stuff sucked hard.

Definitely warrants all the criticism.

5/10 and that is being generous.

Soooo, any reference to events from the games or characters from the games? Ubi said this was part of the AC universe but I doubt they did anything to actually mean that.

As a fan of the games, I found the movie just awful. I didn't mind GLaDOS, uh, the Animus too much, though that last Leap of Faith breaking it was so stupid.

This movie was fucking terrible jesus christ. You can pretty much guess everything that's going to happen so really don't need spoilers. I don't get why they decided to go all retarded with the camera's for fight scenes. Every fight scene in like the first hour, whenever someone went for an attack the camera would switch so you didn't really see anything. So it just switched all over the place, it was more infuriating than shaky cam.

Also the end was really stupid. Fassbender the assassin man takes down Jeremy Irons as he holds the apple after giving a speech to the templars and grand templar hall, lights are down a little bit but after he dies they all just left. Figured I dunno, maybe going after him would be prudent. This whole movie was a fucking mess.

Also female assassin dies, not sure if we're supposed to care because they don't even say her name. Or maybe I just don't remember.

Seriously, this movie is garbo.

And that. That's basically my exact reaction. "Oh, Alan Rikkin was just murdered in front of us, and our mortal enemies just stole back an artifact we've spent centuries searching for? Let's leave in an orderly fashion".

Stupid, stupid movie

Toa TAK

Banned
Soooo, any reference to events from the games or characters from the games? Ubi said this was part of the AC universe but I doubt they did anything to actually mean that.
A lot of people, myself included, saw Arno in there when Lynch was surrounded at the climax there.

Just an ok movie for me, 6/10, it could have been better (but also worse)... If only we had more past sequences and better musics...

By the way, when we see Cal' Lynch ancestors in the late part of the movie, did you notice Arno from Assassin's Creed Unity? Well, maybe it wasn't him but I swear I saw his basic outfit.

Edit: Nice to see someone else mentioning that!

Beefy

Looks like Tom Hardy just became too busy for a Splinter Cell film.

While Sony Pictures just looked at that Rotten Tomatoes score and said "Man, we have to get that Watch Dogs film out ASAP!"

Who said he isn't doing Splinter Cell anymore?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Templar era and history focus would have made much more sense. Do Kingdom of Heaven but with a focus on the assassins, which most people don't know existed. It's actually a very interesting story that ties in to modern day terrorism, it has familiar concepts placed in their historical roots.

Add a small 20% of present day scenes, filmed like a Dan Brown movie, nothing fancy, keep the simple Animus bed, end the movie with the protag escaping thanks to the bleed effect with his supervisor, and a Matrix-1-ish ending where they give a little anti-templar speech. To be continued.

This movie was never going to be a huge hit, but it had all that was needed to be successful and attract new fans, especially among people who don't play "gamer" games, through its focus on faces of history that people aren't in general aware of.

The assasins, the Borgias, those were interesting subjects to address that would have supported the movies. But just as the games have lost their sense since ACB, the movies weren't going to stand on a good footing. The brand doesn't know itself anymore.

shira

I hope it would make enough for a better sequel.

You need profit. Lot's of it.
kunk-rum.gif

Toa TAK

Banned
Whoah really? As in, the character looks exactly like Arno? That's pretty neat.

Yeah, he actually kinda stuck out from the rest of the Assassins even within the film. I wish I could find a screengrab or something, just for confirmation.

Kaswa101

Just got out of this. Wanted to see this last night but had to make a drive cross-state.

Anyone who's not an AC fan should probably stay away.

That said, as an AC fan, this is actually as good as we're ever going to get for a movie based off it. It's pretty well done for an adaptation of Assassin's Creed of all things. They nail everything in the lore and just overall world of Assassin's Creed. The carriage chase the in the beginning was edited and shot horribly, but the rest of the action beats are fine after that. I really dug the constant transitions in and out of the Animus, as that's something I've personally always wanted to see in the games.

Characters beyond the Fass and Cotillard are pretty weak, but the modern day staff are pretty ripe for characterization. The historical segments sans the film's intro are pretty much where the action happens, save for the modern day escape. Everything about this movie is pure Assassin's Creed right down to a guy falling into a haystack. And when I say pure AC, this is all the good and bad about the series minus the First Civilization (they get a mention, but as a spitball guess instead of being a known entity).

Dug the score, but man, the movie has a heavy, self-serious tone throughout (like the games, really) so I hope no one expects much humor throughout. The effects for the Animus are crazy cool and while we do see the Apple in action, it doesn't really DO anything but spout some CG fog unlike the games. The final assassination was what you can pretty much expect. Like an anticlimactic finish in some of the games, you get one here, too. Last thought, I thought they tied it nicely with the dedication to the Creed through Maria and Cal's mom and how that leads to Callum's recognition that he had a place in the Creed.

I see a lot of "sequel-bait" posts but there wasn't anything in there that showed as much, just an awful cut to black as he does a leap of faith (but he cut happens as he MOVES to do it). I think AC fans will get a kick out of it and it's clear Ubisoft made the right choice to be as involved as possible to keep to the world of Assassin's Creed.

I pretty much agreed with this. I loved the film as an AC fan. Even my brother enjoyed it, and he doesn't touch the games, so that surprised me.

There's nothing offensively bad about this movie, as the critics and Gaffers would have me believe. Once again, it's just idiotic Internet hyperbole trying to bring down an experience that's, at its worse, a mindless action movie.

Personally I thoroughly enjoyed it. Seeing Arno at the end, and things like one enemy falling into a bale of hay, were pretty fun as Easter eggs too. I really hope we get a sequel. :)

Also the ending was not abrupt. Wth are some people talking about? Seeing that in many reviews, I expected the film to cut off during an important part, like when Fass breaks out of Abstergo or something, but it didn't. It actually went on and wrapped up Alan's story (which is quite a huge thing for the universe going forward) and had some cool modern-day shots of the new Assassins and them "being one with the crowd". Really cool imo.

Anyway, once again I'm glad I didn't listen to the posters of GAF and the modern critics who simply crave Marvel drivel. :) Otherwise I'd never have given this or BvS a chance, both of which were far better than the hyperbole would've had me believe.

Crossing Eden

As an AC fan, this movie is decent, as a fan of the medium, holy shit they fucked up bad. This film is just not very fun or interesting to sit through despite how well they actually nail so many aspects of the film to make it feel like AC. How do you screw up dialogue this bad in AC?? Which typically has really well done character interactions. And I agree with Jeremy Jahns that the past segments seem more like watching a really well done game demo, there are some gorgeous shots in the film with the way they use lighting and ofc the costume design is on point but man, bad form. Also we got it from the first regression that he's doing things irl, but EVERY sequence cuts back and forth. I though that'd be cool but in the second one I was like "dude just keep the shots on Aguilar." Thoroughly convinced there's no way to make a good game movie gaf. The cast and talent involved was WAY too good for this movie to end up like this. Medium's cursed. ಠ_ಠ

EDIT:I still want that Aguilar costume as a legacy outfit though.

Slayven

Is it true they lock a bunch of people up against their will, then put them in a machine that turns them into insta killers and thought that was going to work out for them?

Iceternal

They coud have at least made the modern assassins cool to look at. Their black coat was boring.... MEH

Garbage movie anyway.

Crossing Eden

They coud have at least made the modern assassins cool to look at. Their black coat was boring.... MEH

Garbage movie anyway.
This too, goes against the lore which is odd cause they nail so many aspects of it. Modern assassins wear white jackets if not normal light clothing.

This has been a thing since 2010. So really odd detail that was missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom