• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin’s Creed: Unity Framerate Is “Atrocious”

Assassin’s Creed: Unity is out today in the US, but some people seem to have been getting their copies early with videos of the game appearing on YouTube yesterday. Unfortunately, some of those people who got their hands on the game early are reporting that there are significant technical problems with Assassin’s Creed: Unity, most notably the framerate.

“Seriously I get the game is massive, but jesus the framerate in this game is atrocious,” said Reddit user Merkwerk talking about the PS4 version of Assassin’s Creed: Unity. “It’s not even close to a locked 30 fps, it feels like it’s running at 20 something most of the time and I’ve had it drop way below that a couple of times already.”

Or there’s this from Shehan 1993: “Are you guys experiencing pop ins and huge frame rate drops especially in huge crowds? I’m playing on the ps4. Got any advice to fix this?”

http://www.nowgamer.com/assassins-creed-unity-framerate-is-atrocious/

more after the link

I was gonna wait on this anyway as i'm burnt out on the series atm so this just adds to my reasons to wait.

CrossingEden in 3... 2... 1...

Edit

These performance Revelations are kind of beginning to conform for me that the whole "to avoid debates and stuff" excuse was said to hide the actual reason for locked specs:

That this game may be woefully unoptimized. I say "may be" for now until other guinea pigs... er... gamers report back ;)

Next time Ubi, instead of bragging about thousands of npcs on screen, lying to potential customers, and throwing shade at Modor, maybe just focus on putting out the best game for gamers and letting the results speak for themselves? PR is easier that way when you have great shit to show off with nothing to hide.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... I'll wait for an article not referencing Reddit comments

It's probably true but like..... the source ain't worth it

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That's a Ubisoft staple right there; try playing Far Cry 3 on the PS3.

They just don't care.
Last gen, sure, but their games thus far this gen have run very consistently. AC4 and Watch Dogs both delivered a completely stable 30 fps on consoles. This is a huge step down in that sense.

noah111

Still Alive
The frame rate is unacceptable—cutscenes are especially embarrassing. Not as bad as some older demos, but still. (Been playing on Xbox One, but it's probably the same on PS4 given the early impressions)

I'm not a big frame rate guy who screams at the rooftops for 60fps or bust, but in this case it really does impact the feel of the gameplay and traversal in a tangible way.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Everything pre-release on PS4 this month is fucked due to 2.0, I'd await the inevitable day 1 patch

Jack cw

This game and all the negative PR and backlash reminds of AC3 on last gen consoles. It ran like shit then and Unity does now and doesn't even hit full HD. Can't wait for the DF face off.

oti

Banned
Well that's a shame but, you know, after some time you get used to it. It sure isn't pretty though.

CrossingEden in 3... 2... 1...

Lmao.

It's like someone said in the OT, what's the point of including so many NPCs in an attempt to make it super immersive, if the framerate is just going to hinder that immersion?

Sub 30fps is fucking horrible. I don't know how any company could be fine with releasing a game that runs under 30fps. Rare dips? Sure, understandable, I guess. But frequent drops into the twenties...and even LOWER? Unacceptable.

valkyre

But Ubisoft said that they are targeting 1080p / 60 frames per second only a few months ago at E3!

Surely these people must be wrong! Ubisoft cant have missed their target soooo much?!

Or can they?

Last gen, sure, but their games thus far this gen have run very consistently. AC4 and Watch Dogs both delivered a completely stable 30 fps on consoles. This is a huge step down in that sense.

Definitely true, but both were also just up-ports from last gen productions.

Will be interesting to see if Ubisoft can make their new engine better in the coming years or they will redo it all in the future.

It blows my mind that some people don't notice framerate drops into the 20's, but they exist here on GAF. That sort if framerate (if true) is really not acceptable.

Varth

Did they download the D1 patch? Not working on it myself, but I recall review notes warning about installing it first.

ekim

I read something about a 900mb day 1 patch. Is this happening after said patch or isnt it there yet?

Don't remember it exactly but I did read that review copies were Xbox One SKUs because the day 1 patch was ready for that system. But maybe I'm mixing up the game here.

gruenel

Good thing I already cancelled my preorder.

Part of why AC4 is my favorite AC is the perfectly stable framerate on PS4. No way I'm going back to the janky framerates of AC1-3 I experienced on the PS3.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Definitely true, but both were also just up-ports from last gen productions.

Will be interesting to see if Ubisoft can make their new engine better in the coming years or they will redo it all in the future.
That's not true of Watch Dogs. The last gen version looked dramatically worse and really nothing like the XO/PS4/PC version.

Reading all these impressions my choice between Inquisition or Unity has been simplified.

Not to mention that the 9/10 10/10 reviews for Inquisition definitely help as well.

Framerate below 30 and even hitting 20 is unacceptable at this day and age where the PS4/Xbone is still relatively new on the market with plenty of power.

Jack cw

But Ubisoft said that they are targeting 1080p / 60 frames per second only a few months ago at E3!

Surely these people must be wrong! Ubisoft cant have missed their target soooo much?!

Or can they?

Most gamers won't even notice. This board showed that they can't even differenciate 30 and 60 fps (the Shadow of Mordor topic was hilarious), so Ubisoft will get a free pass. I just hope that all of us who are bothered wont buy it. Money is the best argument here.

HeelPower

Are we talking lords of the fallen levels of bad performance here ?

ugh...but ubisoft is supposed to have huge and capable teams for this franchise..

Randomizer

Can't wait till the review embargo is up, hopefully it gets the slaughtering it deserves. I honestly don't understand how Ubisoft aren't hated more. They are just as bad as EA and Activision and in some ways worse. This game was probably made by over a thousand people too, which makes it all the more laughable.

SparkTR

900p and 20fps drops sounds pretty terrible. Honestly the game doesn't even look that great, it just seems blurry and low-res. Are the crowds really worth that? I played AC1 on my PS3 which also had atrocious 20fps drops and sub-par visuals. I really can't go back to that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They're using every ounce of the Xbox and PS4 power, it isn't their fault the consoles cannot live up to the creative ambition that Ubisoft has.

impact

Banned
Ubisoft 900p/15-30fps

Stay winning guys. Now I'm even more glad I didn't support this trash. Can't wait to watch Yves GAF account defend this mess :)

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
20 FPS on PS4, 10 FPS on X1 confirmed.

Still, Ubisoft is usually very good with their tech and engines, disappointing.

Reallllllyyyy hope Far Cry 4 turns up good.

Top Bottom