• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin’s Creed: Unity Framerate Is “Atrocious”

mp1990

Banned
Yeah,my biggest fear was that this game turned out to be another AC3.It's a shame,really liked AC4,now let's see if Rogue is any good.

SU6Jj9r.jpg

c967tKu.jpg

FzFdvYt.jpg

you guys are crazy, this game is the best. don't know what else you could possibly want.

Brannon

Hell, I got this game for free, and I still feel like I wasted my time.
People paid for this Ubisoft game sight unseen. AGAIN. And yeah, blame the devs/pubs/journos, but holy shit. Okay.

Holy shit.

AT THIS POINT IN TIME, if the people rushing to buy an Ubisoft game day one haven't learned BY NOW that they're probably (not all the time, but dependably) going to get a jank-assed rush job on release and most likely beyond, well they deserve it. Fuck 'em. They deserve to be disappointed. And I deserve to be entertained by it.

And this thread has been very entertaining.

Mononoke

Banned
Real glad you're okay. But yeah, I mean stuff like this... doesn't it make anyone look at pre-ordering digitally in a very negative way sometimes? I mean, people who buy this game digitally... they'll never be able to at least sell their copy used. This is why I'll never go full digital. When you pre-order or buy digitally before there are any reviews or impressions, you're literally paying $60 in faith.

It's made me think twice about it. I've actually been all digital this console gen. And ever since they started the "pre-load" feature on PS4 and X1, I've been starting to do that (pre-order and install before launch). But this has made me really weary to ever do that again (I'll only do it for very trusted companies...and even then...)

MCC also shit the bed last night. I spent 4 hours with a KorraGAF buddy, and we could only get into 1 match + 1 campaign level together. It was fuckin awful. Last time I pre-order two games to celebrate things. :(

OH well, I got Bayoneta 2 + Morodor + Horizon 2 which I love.

Housh

I have been playing this game since I got it yesterday during the day. It would run like a slideshow on my PS4 when I would climb buildings.

I updated to 2.02 and rebuilt the database and loading times with the framerate got a bit better but it still dips a lot. I can't believe there are people defending the performance issues and straight up denying they exist. I can only see it being an issue affecting some PS4s similar to the rest mode problem experienced with firmware 2.0.

Never again preordering Ubisoft games.

kiguel182

This has been the best thread.

Also, I almost feel compelled to give Ubi 60 bucks since this game has already given so many hours of entertainment.

Mononoke

Banned
DO try Sunset Overdrive. Happy happy joy joy! Great for you right now imo. Check streams of it if unsure. GOTY candidate

Oh I actually got that Day 1. It's actually one of my favorite games this gen. It was so good. Forgot to mention that. Totally made my remission stuff epic. Good job Insomniac, you delivered and put a smile on my face. :)

It's made me think twice about it. I've actually been all digital this console gen. And ever since they started the "pre-load" feature on PS4 and X1, I've been starting to do that (pre-order and install before launch). But this has made me really weary to ever do that again (I'll only do it for very trusted companies...and even then...)

I think it's reasonable to pre-order/pre-load stuff that you absolutely trust. I'd have no qualms digitally pre-ordering Nintendo software for example, and there are other very safe bets out there from studios, but when you look at the history of say franchises like this that have been known to be buggy messes, it should definitely raise an alarm to anyone considering buying digitally. I only bought Assassin's Creed III digitally because it was on sale for like $15 on PSN and my car was broke down. I actually ended up liking that one enough though so whatever.

eizarus

Banned
10 minutes till the beginning of the fall of Ubisoft. I don't want them to really crash and burn though, just to use some 30fps-optomised-lube at the very least, next time they decided to screw us

Journey

Banned
Hm, if the PS4 would be 1080p, wouldn't be the framerate even worse? Lol

Depends on what's the framerate for the xbone. Fps parity.

If they can't hit 30fps at 900p on PS4, it's just bad optimization, or they just were too ambitious on the CPU bound calculations, which is in itself a bad decision. Either way, sounds like 900p was a necessity and not forced parity. If the framerate is atrocious now, going up to 1080p would only make things worse, a lot worse.

I'm not an expert, but I know enough to say that other developers will make different design decisions and will obtain better visuals/performance in the future.

Mononoke

Banned
I think it's reasonable to pre-order/pre-load stuff that you absolutely trust. I'd have no qualms digitally pre-ordering Nintendo software for example, and there are other very safe bets out there from studios, but when you look at the history of say franchises like this that have been known to be buggy messes, it should definitely raise an alarm to anyone considering buying digitally. I only bought Assassin's Creed III digitally because it was on sale for like $15 on PSN and my car was broke down. I actually ended up liking that one enough though so whatever.

Yeah you just need to be cautious. I got ahead of myself and really wanted to love this game (because I was interested in the story and the setting based on the trailers/pieces). But Ubisoft has always had a shaky history of their games being less than stellar at launch. So I really should have known better. I just was in a happy mood given my remission, and really just wanted to play new games. Just got burned. Lessons learned.

Foffy

Banned
This is the best they could do, guys. They pushed these systems to their limits, getting every ounce of power out of them as they could muster. ;)

Top Bottom