• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin’s Creed: Unity Framerate Is “Atrocious”

Fq1DXEz.gif

dis gon b gud

I really want to hear some inside stories from the dev team(s).

My buddy just moved to Ubi Montreal and got a job coding on the Assassin's Creed team. He only got there like a week ago, but I'm hoping that I'll hear some juicy tidbits from him on how the Unity team is reacting. I imagine it's a pretty interesting climate there at the moment.

Joeki11a

Banned
This whole go offline for better frames placebo is ridiculous, this game if anything needed to have a Far Cry 4 "play offline" mode, if you saw the Giantbomb quick look you saw what I mean.

RedAssedApe

Banned
they released some 1.02 patch on pc and ps4. some people have been saying it performs better. could be bs like the offline thing though :)

jcm

I wonder just how bad watch dogs was to convince ubi to delay it. It must have been causing consoles to spontaneously combust or something.

ev0

they released some 1.02 patch on pc and ps4. some people have been saying it performs better. could be bs like the offline thing though :)

I have PS4 and it def runs better. I no longer feel like I'm trudging through mud. Its not perfect at all, enough that they dont claim fps improvements in the parch notes. I didnt know I dled a patch, but I checked after the game "felt" better.

Maybe its staying in the 20s now instead of dippings into the teens.

I wonder just how bad watch dogs was to convince ubi to delay it. It must have been causing consoles to spontaneously combust or something.

I don't think pre-delay Watch Dogs was that much worse than this, but with all the money riding on Unity there was zero chance of a delay. That statement about how they'd delay it if it "wasn't good enough" was complete and utter bullshit. In no universe is this the state ubisoft Montreal wanted the game in for release. The call to stick to this launch very clearly came from the top.

Tahnit

Banned
I dont get why people are hating on the framerate. I have the following system

i7 920 oc to 3.4 ghz.
gtx 770 sc 4gb
12 gig ram.

The game mostly runs at 45-30 fps with very very few times dropping to 26-28. Ever since the patch today cut scenes run a lot better as well.

If people are expecting 60 fps maxed settings in this game they are insane. This may be the prettiest game i have ever played. At times it looks like concept art. The variations in the texture detail and environments is astounding.

Boss Mog

i7 920 oc to 3.4 ghz.
gtx 770 sc 4gb
12 gig ram.

The game mostly runs at 45-30 fps with very very few times dropping to 26-28. Ever since the patch today cut scenes run a lot better as well.

If people are expecting 60 fps maxed settings in this game they are insane. This may be the prettiest game i have ever played. At times it looks like concept art. The variations in the texture detail and environments is astounding.

This topic is about the console versions though, which apparently don't even run close to 30fps a lot of the time. And to think Ubi said 1080/60fps back at the begining lol.

omonimo

Banned

i7 920 oc to 3.4 ghz.
gtx 770 sc 4gb
12 gig ram.

You don't get it why people want steady fps? That's weird.

I watched an IGN video review of this yesterday, and the dude mentioned nothing about frame rate at all.

I'm not one of those 'gimme objective reviews' guys, but shit, I wish reviewers would make more mention of technical aspects of games sometimes.

I think this review was written by the same guy who thought the human eye couldn't distinguish between 30 and 60fps.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So now that I've seen it in action, I'm actually pretty impressed that it is worse than AC1.

The loading is AWFUL. The hitching is AWFUL. The framerate is consistently worse than AC1.

This is a doozy.

I was playing Sequences 3, 4, and 5 yesterday. Framerate seemed improved, weirdly enough?

The new parkour system is really good. I love dashing across the rooftops and looking at the crowds below, or just wandering through the crowds. Very atmospheric.

Martian

Did Ubisoft never mention that there were going to be micro/macro transactions in the game?

Because I wonder if that's the case, is there any ground for asking a refund? You purchased a game, of which you are not able to access everything off. It's like buying a hamburger and only getting 2 buns.

I was playing Sequences 3, 4, and 5 yesterday. Framerate seemed improved, weirdly enough?

The new parkour system is really good. I love dashing across the rooftops and looking at the crowds below, or just wandering through the crowds. Very atmospheric.

It's good at times, but really, horribly awful at others. Your character is more automated then ever, and when the automation fails you (and it will fail you) it will make you want to smash your monitor and flip a table over.

I played the first mission as an assassin, the one where you
follow that guy across rooftops
and the framerate was so bad that it made smoothly parkouring borderline impossible. Weirdly though, the few missions I did after that seemed relatively smooth.

Totally inconsistent...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
After playing the game, I don't get the "CPU AI" stuff. The crowds just stand there motionless and do the same stupid animations over and over again. What exactly is the AI doing?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
After playing the game, I don't get the "CPU AI" stuff. The crowds just stand there motionless and do the same stupid animations over and over again. What exactly is the AI doing?
Is it because of AI or is it cloth simulations etc.?

I started playing after 1.02 patch on PS4 and it doesn't seem so bad to me. That could be because of the patch or maybe just because I was expecting the game to beabout the worst thing ever. But anyway it's not perfect but it plays well enough. Loading times are horrendous though.

omonimo

Banned
Wait for another patch. For now it runs around itself quite bored. I can't believe someone continues to substain 10 % of overclocked cpu can handle 4 - 8 fps of advantage in the crowd. This is just a rushed launch.

Getting in the way, and flying in the air half the time, when they're not too busy randomly running away from nothing and clipping through walls/buildings.

I played the Xbox One version for a couple of hours and it seemed alright to me - the framerate I mean. There was one point where I was running across some rooftops and it dropped to maybe 15 FPS and I thought "uh oh, here we go" but it only lasted for about 3 or 4 seconds and hasn't happened again. The only issues I've seen are related to pop in, but even that isn't too bad. Some people have been dealing with some more serious bugs, as evidenced by some of the posts in this thread, but so far it's been pretty good for me.

The thing I don't like is stuff such as not being able to open certain chests unless you use the companion app. Don't force that shit on me. Just make the companion app great and I'll take a look at it anyway.

Denton

I think it is mostly the fact that they are interactive, IE you can throw some bomb on the ground and they all start running and fightning and doing stuff...they aren't just completely empty shells like the crowds were in Hitman games.

Top Bottom