• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed 2 lead accuses Shadow of Mordor of reusing code/anims

inky

The game is so obviously derivative everybody thought of AC when we saw it, but straight up stealing animations/code sounds like something I'd like to see proof of that back such a serious claim. I'm sure WB will not take these sorts of accusations kindly.

ReaperXL7

I wish they were just making a new F.E.A.R. game, instead.

Not me, I'll take an open world Lotr game over yet another FPS any day of the week. I kind of wish they had shown some of the open world, or had shown how you could play that section differently, because how the devs have described the game makes it seem like it's possible to play these encounters in a variety of ways. The sneaking looks similar to Ass Creed but it will be interesting to see what the rest of the game looks like.

LTWood12

Like a lot of folks have already said, there's no way I could tell if something were stolen. but watching the first two minutes it looks pretty freaking similar.

Climbing animation
Crouched running between the buildings
Wraith vision=eagle vision
Combat

As an AC fan I think the game looks like it could be really cool.

Alienous

At the start of the video, climbing animation looked like it could be stolen from Assassin's Creed, resemblance is uncanny.

Or they have the common influence of real life. The climbing doesn't seem to be as intricate as Assassin's Creed. Like a bad imitation, but an imitation nonetheless. Not a wholesale copy.

I mean, Uncharted's climbing can be viewed similarly.

antitrop

Not me, I'll take an open world Lotr game over yet another FPS any day of the week. I kind of wish they had shown some of the open world, or had shown how you could play that section differently, because how the devs have described the game makes it seem like it's possible to play these encounters in a variety of ways. The sneaking looks similar to Ass Creed but it will be interesting to see what the rest of the game looks like.

F.E.A.R. 1 and 2 transcend being "yet another FPS". Another true F.E.A.R. game from the Monolith team would do well to show all these other devs how FPS games are supposed to be.

Yeah, and they stole the 'spidey sense' indicator for an incoming hit from Batman AA and AC. ME stole combat from Gears. Games can still be good in their own right.

JDSN

Banned
Everything is a ripoff to the eyes of that studio. But yeah, the game looks like a complete uninspired copycat, and its a waste to go to Middle Earth and stick to the grimdark version of it.

"I know it when I see it"

nU2uosO.jpg

erawsd

Honestly... who cares?

As long as the game is good I couldn't care less if they licensed the AC engine. I will say the few minutes I watched, it looked far more interesting and more fun to play than any AC game.

It's the walking, climbing and air assassination animations at the beginning of the video he's referencing in particular, I believe. They really do look a LOT like the they're ripped straight from AC.

cameron

You can't call game engine code stolen by just looking at the end result.

Assets are a different story. If Monolith outsourced some work to the lowest bidder, then I can see that happening.

Doel

This likely happens a lot, but many devs work for a large corporation that owns them so they are not as publicly forthcoming. Capy doesn't have that to worry about.

They're similar and that is obviously the intent, but nothing seems 100% identical, and to claim that animations and code were outright stolen makes it seem as if he believes no one is able to reproduce their work from scratch, which is highly pretentious.

Muffdraul

10 seconds into the video I seriously thought I was looking at someone's clever hack and re-skin of AC. I'm inclined to think this dev knows wtf he's talking about.

Nugg

There's a huge difference between imitation/plagiarism/lack of inspiration, and actually stealing code. Those are pretty strong accusations.

man i hope they at least use some of the god-tier soundtrack from the trilogy.

otherwise it will just be mediocre in a presentation standpoint too.

F.E.A.R. 1 and 2 transcend being "yet another FPS".

Word. F.E.A.R., the first expansion and F.E.A.R. 2 are among the top tier of FPSs.

Meanwhile this LotR game doesn't draw me in at all.

These are words from a guy who generally dislikes FPSs and adores dark fantasy stuff.

Kadayi

Banned
As soon as it hit the bit around the 1.00 minute mark where he was crouch running along the ropes I was thinking of AC2 tbh.

Might well be a case of the mocap having been sold on. After all why keep re-inventing the wheel. Makes sense to share that sort of thing and save development costs.

Could well become the Wilhelm scream for action games.

Pooya

climbing and shimmy always look 'similar' anyway but the rope traversing bit not really, that's just AC(TM) move-set and animation, it's a copy if not the same asset :p

1390515129-1.jpg

edit: on second look the way he lunges up when climbing is REALLY identical to AC too.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Yeah, people were drawing comparisons to Batman, but it looks exactly like Assassin's Creed combat.

edit: specifically something about the way the character swings his sword upward reminds me of AC2

You can't call game engine code stolen by just looking at the end result.

Assets are a different story. If Monolith outsourced some work to the lowest bidder, then I can see that happening.

If the animation assets were ripped, then it's possible that the code to read the animation assets were also ripped.

Guy.brush

If Ubisoft wouldn't have had stolen the Palantir in the first place, this would not have happened.
ubisoft-logo.jpg
palantir.png

Eye of Mordor sees all.

robotrock

Banned
Dat repetition and awful plot. Also, dat sailing from 3?

It is. Brotherhood is a glorified epilogue, I consider them to be the same game.

AC2's plot wasn't anything great either, and it was also fairly repetitive? Sailing from 4 feels a bit different from 3. Assassin's creed 2 did have my favorite setting and favorite protagonist though. I guess this isn't the topic to be getting into this, but I respect your opinion bro.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The only animation that reminded me of AC was the one for walking across a rope, which isn't exactly easy to make look different. They could also just have a sub to the same animation library.

Grief.exe

We need gif comparisons between AC2 climbing animation and Mordor climbing animation.

They struck me as very similar and I've only played one game in the AC franchise.

Cimeas

Banned
Is it not possible they used the same actors for motion-capture?

Because I don't know how or why a big company like Warner Brothers would not just take inspiration from but directly copy game content over, which is what he's insinuating. That would open Ubisoft up to a huge lawsuit which could end with a big chunk of the profits/major damages being lost.

In general I mean, that's a pretty damn serious accusation.

Ahasverus

AC2's plot wasn't anything great either, and it was also fairly repetitive? Sailing from 4 feels a bit different from 3. Assassin's creed 2 did have my favorite setting and favorite protagonist though. I guess this isn't the topic to be getting into this, but I respect your opinion bro.

Ha don't worry it's in good blood. I can see people liking AC4 as a rebound from 3 and because the pirate setting is a welcomed change of pace. But while it had great ship systems it had the worst on foot missions in the series (barring 1) yes, worse than 3. You can only have so many eavesdrops and kill 4 men before they ring the bell. Also the plot felt kinda dumb, AC2 might have a corny plot BUT it was made by smart people, AC4 felt like a cartoon, but it's ok. I liked it. Any game that copies AC2 is cool in my book.

solarus

To be honest even without seeing this thread, when I saw the footage it looked like the exact same animations in assassin's creed to me (having sunk 30+ hours into ac4) although I doubt it's somehow the same code.

Reebot

Dat repetition and awful plot. Also, dat sailing (in an Assassins game) from 3?

It is. Brotherhood is a glorified epilogue, I consider them to be the same game.

Please Quit crack.

Well, I guess if you arbitrarily redefine things then it makes it very hard to argue against your position.

Ahasverus

Well, I guess if you arbitrarily redefine things then it makes it very hard to argue against your position.

Desilets said it was supposed to be the last chapter but they ran out of time, didn't he?. If not, well, let's say Ac2 and BH are in the same spot as the best AC, one can't live with the other.
These animations indeed look similar to Ac2, not the recent ones, do we know how much has the game been in development?

Top Bottom