• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed 2 lead accuses Shadow of Mordor of reusing code/anims

Kiant

Them pedals be moving backwards.

WB threatened him with Taz I bet

taz.jpg

Kanyon

They're awfully familiar, that's for sure.

But, looks like Mordor actually has a crouch button.

Noticed that too, I was like finally! The Mordor gameplay looks pretty awesome and yes there are some similarities between this and the AC series (which is inevitable anyway).

But claiming code theft based on watching a video? That's a bit rich I think...

Mona

Banned
are these actually accusations, or a tongue in cheek way of saying it looks similar?

cuz erm, if i was a betting man, id say that no, monolith did not steal pieces of code from ubisoft.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Interesting that the LotR character's right arm moves less than his left during his walk cycle, given that Ezio did the same thing in reverse in AC2 due to his arm being under a cloak. The LotR animations are really, really close to the AC2 ones, not just in a "guy climbing/walking/balancing" sense but in terms of the little quirks and bits of personality in Ezio's movements being reproduced in the LotR character. Definitely would like to know the backstory on this one.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I just watched the video for the first time and it definitely seemed the same during climbing. Like, head position and everything, even during the crouch walk/running across the rope things.

the resemblance is uncanny down to the way the main character walks at the beginning of the video, and once you get to the climbing it just becomes obvious. wow. i'm not gonna outright say anything was stolen here, but if it's not they're certainly basing it very, very, very heavily on Assassin's Creed.

I would not be surprised in the slightest if they used Ezio as a reference or model. The clambering and balancing animations are very similar.

It's the use of "assets/code" that irks me. That's a different issue altogether.

injurai

Banned
Holy fuck, I thought it would be a few animations...

It's everything. Every animation, the world coding... even fucking eagle vision.

edit: Okay I watched more, the combat is way better. This game looks so much better than AC in terms of gameplay systems. But That first 20 seconds was pretty blanted. I won't complain, it looks hella fun.

Uhyve

g80xFEW.png

You'd think software devs would know that animation and code aren't synonymous.
I've got the feeling that Ubisoft spent quite some time on animation blending and whatnot, animation like you see in Assassin's Creed isn't just playing back an animation.

Parapraxis

This doesn't look like some low-budget game, surely they are doing their own motion capping?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtTE8gOojUE
^ This video is from Arkham Asylum, i'd imagine their studio/facilities of only improved.

Holy fuck, I thought it would be a few animations...

It's everything. Every animation, the world coding... even fucking eagle vision.

Rocksteady has used a similar system since AA, I didn't even think of AC when I saw the Mordor trailer, but Batman instead.

I fuckin' doubt it. They probably used AC as the model for their animation, but straight "stealing it" seems unlikely.

Here's the link to the video: http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/fu91lg/middle-earth--shadow-of-mordor-gameplay-walkthrough

I don't know if he stole assets or anything, but within the first 30 seconds or so of gameplay, I instantaneously thought "Assassin's Creed."

I mean, those animations almost look identical. Hell, a lot of those concepts (wraith = eagle vision) are straight ripped from AC.

injurai

Banned
Rocksteady has used a similar system since AA, I didn't even think of AC when I saw the Mordor trailer, but Batman instead.

The batman combat style isn't really too much new, though it's very refined and polished I'll give it that.

But the first 30 seconds you see the character cycle through dozens of AC animations and poses, all rigged up on the same skeletal frame. Not to mention the Environment setup and programmed the same. With the rope walking and holding onto ledges.

Even at the very end when you see that crowd of orcs fighting amongst themselves. That is straight out of Assassin's creed. The A.I. and animations are a carbon match.

Even the new Assassin's have less of a hard lock on combat system. So really it's like they took AC, then tried to separate themselves on the gameplay front and redesigned that bit. (Maybe lifted from Batman who knows) The point is the vast majority of that is shockingly identical to AC.

I would even expect a blatant Chinese rip-off of the game to play that in-line with the AC formula.

mavs

Looks more like Batman though. Just look at the combat.

Nah. Combat sure, that could look like either game. But the wires running between the buildings, the wooden blocks on those wires, the dude standing in front of his four minions exactly like the town criers, as many people have noted the climbing and the lunges for higher handholds look exactly the same.

And it says right at the beginning of that GT vid, "You're Italian." Case closed.

Squire

Banned
Is this the same Capybara guy that accused the Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon team of "copying" Super Time Force because they both had fake 90s commercial jokes?

Like, yeah, Mordor looks like it cribs notes from AC and Batman. I REALLY doubt there's stolen code.

It's not Nathan, but this guy does work there , which is why it's so hilarious to me.

I don't think anyone is arguing the game doesn't look almost completely derivative of AC/Batman - in fact, watching the video I thought the most interesting things discussed were the ones not really shown - but reusing AC2 code? "I know it when I see it"? They need to knock this nonsense off.

Top Bottom