• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 3 and Liberation officially getting remastered. Part of Odyssey season pass.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
https://kotaku.com/assassins-creed-iii-is-getting-remastered-1829031268

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey’s season pass will include, among other things, a remastered version of Assassin’s Creed III, publisher Ubisoft said today. There’s also downloadable content set in Atlantis, DLC surrounding the “first hero to wield the iconic hidden blade,” and a remaster of Assassin’s Creed III: Liberation.

The Assassin’s Creed III remaster will also be available standalone for PC, PS4, and Xbox One when it goes live in March, Ubisoft said. It’ll have improved “gameplay mechanics” and “ergonomics,” about which we’ve asked the company for more details.

Assassins Creed 3 is interesting as it is far and away my least favorite AC game. I thought the mechanics were terrible, the side content was terrible and pointless as was the crafting and crap like Encyclopedia of the Common which turned the game into the Sims in areas. However, the story was pretty good and has far and away the best "villain" in the series.
If they can tweak/simplify the negatives I think it would be a decent remaster.

Last edited:

Kacho

The setting of AC3 is by far my favorite. I’m more than happy to give it another go in 4K 60fps on Xbox.

My favorite game in the series. Since I already 100% the PC version, I don't think I'll put another 70 hours just for minor gameplay tweaks.

MaKTaiL

Remember the Far Cry 3 Classic Edition fiasco. Lets hope it's not just a port from X360/PS3 versions.

Last edited:
Definitely in for AC3... I'm not a series fan but I loved the setting and home base of this one.

ACL I don't really even know much about it. Set in New Orleans, right, and quick google shows it doesn't have a base per se, but just a headquarters? How is that part of it? On par with other home bases like AC3's or have any features like Black Flag's deployments or whatever?

Nydus

Gold Member
Now I feel a bit redeemed that I opted for the gold version. Was not sure about the season pass but that's a nice bonus :D

Larxia

I know it's not the most appreciated one, its not my favorite either, but I think AC 3 has the best looking combats in the series.
I was always so surprised when playing it, all animations were so perfect, everything looked always perfectly smooth, no matter if you cancelled something, parried at the last second or whatever, it just had a perfect flow and always looked very natural and believable on screen, all actions were always linked perfectly between each other no matter the timing, and this has been lost with the following episodes.

If they change mechanics in it, I fear this might go away.

Paasei

AC3 had the best animations in terms of combat to date. I just couldn't be bothered with all the shit in what they called the frontier.
Using a redcoat as human shield was so satisfying.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
AC3 had the best animations in terms of combat to date. I just couldn't be bothered with all the shit in what they called the frontier.
Using a redcoat as human shield was so satisfying.
yup, the tomahawk combat was the shit. Loved it to bits.

xviper

AC3 is my second favorite AC game after AC2

i don't get the hate it gets, it has by FAR the best gameplay of the whole series, it's on a whole new level from the rest

Orpheum

If it's the same level of "remaster" as Assassins Creed 2 then no thanks.

Also it's Assassins Creed 3 so no thanks either way. Hated that game.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Wonder how much of a "remaster" it'll be on PC.
AC3 is my second favorite AC game after AC2

i don't get the hate it gets, it has by FAR the best gameplay of the whole series, it's on a whole new level from the rest
It gets hate because a lot of people feel the gameplay was complete and utter shit. Most of the side content, was boring, unfun, tedious and worst provided you with no ingame incentive to complete. The naval battles were ok, but they were improved so much in Black Flag that AC3s became obsolete. The crafting system menu was confusing, tedious and complete crap. All things like Encyclopedia of the Common Man and just the homestead in general was crap. Those fucking lockpicks (which they made worse in Unity). Had absolutely godawful terrible side objectives (Chase this guy through crowds, but don't run into anyone). It was also the worst AC to do 100% completion (Unity is a not-too-distant second), specifically unfogging the map was a HUGE pain since viewpoints only partially uncovered the map.

On top of all of that, the game didn't really get going to until like the 5th sequence when Connor was fully grown.

Despite all of those complaints, if you just focused on the story and main missions it was an alright game and Haythem Kenway is one of the best characters in the AC universe (although Charles Lee was terrible)

Diddy X

I just bought ACIII Deluxe Edition on Humble Bundle for 3€, I don't care about remasters on PC.

Last edited:

Ascend

I was fine with AC:III really. Was it as good as AC:II or Brotherhood... No. But it's better than Revelations and the first one.

VulcanRaven

Great news. ACIII is my favorite game in the series. I will definitely buy the remaster. I haven't really been interested in the series after ACIV. I still haven't finished that game.

It gets hate because a lot of people feel the gameplay was complete and utter shit.

I liked the gameplay. Combat was great and tomahawk was fun to use.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Remember the Far Cry 3 Classic Edition fiasco. Lets hope it's not just a port from X360/PS3 versions.
Was it really so bad? From what i recall from the DF version, it was a barebones port, but did do 1440p on the upgraded consoles. Even so, even the regular v ersions are still a big upgrade over the PS360 releases since they took all the PC stuff to this Classic Edition. - https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-far-cry-classic-is-a-barebones-pc-port

Essentially predominantly base XBO had performance issue that tampered with the gameplay.
Its not on PS4 or X1. Only PC, last gen and Vita
To be fair, Liberation HD was only PC and last gen consoles - on Vita it obmitted the HD part. Nitpicking, but yeah :p

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Was it really so bad? From what i recall from the DF version, it was a barebones port, but did do 1440p on the upgraded consoles. Even so, even the regular v ersions are still a big upgrade over the PS360 releases since they took all the PC stuff to this Classic Edition. - https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-far-cry-classic-is-a-barebones-pc-port

Essentially predominantly base XBO had performance issue that tampered with the gameplay.

To be fair, Liberation HD was only PC and last gen consoles - on Vita it obmitted the HD part. Nitpicking, but yeah :p
No it wasn't that bad at all. While Farcry 3 classic was a barebones port, it delivered exactly what it was supposed to deliver. It ran fine. Could it have been better? Sure, but it was perfectly playable. In order to give a 60 fps experience, the game code likely needed a lot of work since even on a high end PC it doesn't run all that impressively.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I was fine with AC:III really. Was it as good as AC:II or Brotherhood... No. But it's better than Revelations and the first one.

The first one is great, it had some repetitive missions (which AC doesn't), but I don't think it gets enough credit these days for being as unique as it was. I loved the sense of mystery the Desmond stuff lent the franchise, ultimately I think they bungled the future/past stuff though in subsequent games, it just didn't turn out to be all that interesting of a plot.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Was Rogue remaster good? This will be similar most likely. I need to buy that at some point too.
Rogue remaster was good in terms of being what it needed to be. Is it a good game? If you loved Black Flag and want more of that style in a more AC3 setting then yeah you will like it. It's a decent game, but there is little doubt that it was developed on the cheap.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
AC 3 gets a lot of grief, but it got an 84 metacritic, so it couldn't have been too lousy.

I have ZERO clue how everyone here is excited for AC3. I was here, when that game got crapped on by most folks. Even though I thought it was a good 8 out of time type game.

the1terranrus

Neo Member

It was not a perfect game and had VERY annoying bugs - but the setting and characters were great none the less. This trailer was heartfelt and epic!!

Was Rogue remaster good? This will be similar most likely. I need to buy that at some point too.
Rogue didn't get a PC remaster because it was the PC version. I don't think they got any mechanical changes either. This is something else because it's getting a PC release and they're making changes to the games.

joe_zazen

I have ZERO clue how everyone here is excited for AC3. I was here, when that game got crapped on by most folks. Even though I thought it was a good 8 out of time type game.

Forum groupthink /= reality. People even like FFXIII despite forums declaring it worst game ever.

Valonquar

Connor had the worst writing of any AC game. KILLING IS WRONG! Hey would you go kill these 5 guys that are hassling my livestock? SURE THING KILL KILL KILL

VulcanRaven

Some info about ACIII remaster:
https://support.ubi.com/en-GB/faqs/000036915

What are the improvements of the Remastered version?
Assassin’s Creed III has been remastered for the PlayStation4 systems, Xbox One and PC. Now featuring 4k & HDR on PS4 Pro, Xbox One X and PC, 1080p on PS4 and Xbox One, higher resolution textures, new lighting rendering system, in addition to several other graphical enhancements. Besides, based on player’s feedback, gameplay mechanics has also been improved, with several features being revamped or tweaked.
- Resolution upscale allowing you to play in 4K & HDR on PS4 Pro, Xbox One X and PC, and 1080p on PS4 and Xbox One.
- Higher resolution textures
- New character models
- New lighting rendering system : Physically Based Rendering
- Denser crowd, environments and VFX

Sounds great but I'm not sure about the new character models. I hope they get them right. Some of the character models in Batman: Arkham remasters look worse. Batman for example.

AC 3 gets a lot of grief, but it got an 84 metacritic, so it couldn't have been too lousy.

It was.

AC games review well because they tend to be well made, poor design usually gets a pass in most reviews. That and settings usually get a lot of undeserved praise because people like to walk slowly and pan the camera even more slowly and that makes a game "better" for a lot of people for some reason.

ACIII had a good premise but fell completely flat on it's face.

Last edited:

Ozrimandias

They have remastered BlackFlag, FarCry 3, Rogue, AC:3 and Liberation......but no Splinter Cell Blacklist. Bad Ubi. Bad.

Boss Mog

They have remastered BlackFlag, FarCry 3, Rogue, AC:3 and Liberation......but no Splinter Cell Blacklist. Bad Ubi. Bad.
I've been saying this since the beginning of this gen. Blacklist came out less than 3 months before the PS4 and XBO and most people didn't bother getting it because they were saving up for next gen and figured it would probably be cross-gen or get a remaster eventually but Ubisoft dropped the ball and never came through. It's still a great looking game too.

Top Bottom