• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed 3 releasing on October 30th

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I may cry with joy. The American Revolution would be a fantastic setting, a definitive departure from Ezio too. Feudal Japan and Victorian London were the settings I was hoping for more though, mainly because I think a Japanese ninja/assassin would be awesome and I'm a London-born Brit myself, so seeing my hometown in such a great series would have been fantastic.

I can't say I'm amazingly clued up on 18th Century America though, what kind of settlements did they have? Am I looking more at Red Dead Redemption for influence or something a little more Metropolitan so to speak?

im expecting something like Blackwater but bigger.

You can buy different coloured outfits in the other Assassin Creed games, I always choose red.
The white outfit is being used coz it's instantly recognizable.

Jtrizzy

Sorry, but a guy rolling around the colonies with a sketchy hood covering his face would be silly. He would be burned at the stake for being a witch/sorcerer lol.

I believe they have said for a good while now that there wouldn't be a Desmond only game. Also, yes, it is confirmed this game will wrap up his story.

I think they addressed the Desmond issue in Revelations that lets them avoid a modern Desmond game while saving some face.

You can unlock a Desmond skin fairly early in Revelations if you complete the Animus island first person rooms.

UrbanRats

My interest is as low as when the American Revolution rumor first emerged, BUT i'll still give them the benefit of the doubt.
Only, this setting sounds pretty boring for an AC, to me.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
It would be silly for them not to end Desmond's story in this game. He's been in the year 2012 the whole time, and this year is finally 2012. Dragging it out would wind up putting him in our past which I think would be weird, unless Ubisoft has another big twist in the works. If they do go that route, it better not be something stupid like Desmond's descendant in the far future reliving Desmond's life.

Take out RE and you are describing every holiday season for the past few years.

We haven't had a mainline Halo game in 5 years, I don't think either of those franchises has been put up against the marketing that a mainline Halo game commands.

Still, CoD will probably obliterate everything sales-wise as per.

Clevinger

It would be silly for them not to end Desmond's story in this game. He's been in the year 2012 the whole time, and this year is finally 2012. Dragging it out would wind up putting him in our past which I think would be weird, unless Ubisoft has another big twist in the works. If they do go that route, it better not be something stupid like Desmond's descendant in the far future reliving Desmond's life.

The most important reason to end Desmond's story is because he's a horribly, horribly boring character.

We haven't had a mainline Halo game in 5 years, I don't think either of those franchises has been put up against the marketing that a mainline Halo game commands.

Still, CoD will probably obliterate everything sales-wise as per.

You didn't say "mainline". But, Reach sold 3 million copies in the first month and had the biggest launch day of the Halo franchise. But, yeah I would think Halo 4 will have way bigger marketing. I doubt it will be on the level of Halo 3 though, since they marketed that so heavily because they wanted to sell systems. Could obviously be wrong there, though.

Either way, fuck yeah Black Ops 2 will still destroy them all sales wise.

EDIT: Cancel that marketing thought. I was under the impression Halo 3 had the biggest marketing, but apparently they actually spent the most marketing Reach. Crazy. Source.

The character is a surprise. I never imagined they would go for a native. I pictured the assassin's a an french or english agent, operating in the french revolution before going to the american one.

You didn't say "mainline". But, Reach sold 3 million copies in the first month and had the biggest launch day of the Halo franchise. But, yeah I would think Halo 4 will have way bigger marketing. I doubt it will be on the level of Halo 3 though, since they marketed that so heavily because they wanted to sell systems. Could obviously be wrong there, though.

Either way, fuck yeah Black Ops 2 will still destroy them all sales wise.
Reach sold the same launch day as Halo 3. I think it's undersold Halo 3 overall by quite a bit up to this point.

Where did this native protagonist come from? I sure hope that is true, would be a great breath of fresh air and highly intriguing, just imagine being able to train and recruit different animals like eagles to use as helpers. :)

Reach sold the same launch day as Halo 3. I think it's undersold Halo 3 overall by quite a bit up to this point.

I don't know about actual sales numbers wise, but Reach made the most money in the first day. Source.

I believe halo 3 has outsold in be good amount though in the end.

Edit: According to Wikipedia, Reach sold 3.3 million and 3 sold 3.7 million in the first month. Reach didn't have the same legs apparently. I'd imagine that was thanks to Call of Duty becoming the beast it is, and following up the mediocre ODST. I'm sure 4 will be a beast.

Nori Chan

I don't care anymore.

Ubisoft, you are now allowed to take all of the money in my wallet. This makes up for the shitty dlc yesterday

Where did this native protagonist come from? I sure hope that is true, would be a great breath of fresh air and highly intriguing, just imagine being able to train and recruit different animals like eagles to use as helpers. :)

Right, because stereotypes like that would be a "breath of fresh air". Gimme a break. All for a native protagonist, but that shit would be mad stupid.

Anyone else worrying about the actual gameplay?

I don't mean to hate. I think the setting is really cool, but I think what's burning a lot of people out of the AC series is the fact that the game has changed very little from ACII. Brotherhood/Revelations were more like expansion packs than anything else, and by the end of Revelations the gameplay has gone beyond repetitive.

Considering how they're churning out ACIII only a year after Revelations, while considering that Brotherhood/Revelations were also in this yearly cycle that had minimal gameplay changes even though it used a lot of the same assets, while ALSO considering that changing the setting to Colonial America means changing a lot of assets, I don't think there'd be much time left for the devs to actually advance gameplay in a meaningful way. And if that's the case, eh. Can't seem to get myself excited for what would amount to Malibu Stacy with a new hat.

Although it's possible that Brotherhood/Revelations were developed by smaller B-teams, while AC3 has been in the works by the larger A-team for several years now. Haven't seen much in the press that suggests that, though.

Are we sure this isn't just a mock-up of the UbiWorkshop art project? You know, the one with the Asian and the Future Space Assassins? Seems to fit right in.

Then again, the setting and character could fit in the universe. Hiding in the tipi tents instead of haybales :D

They've been working on it for about three years, supposedly. It was in an earlier thread, I think?

Last year at that time was the first american civil war rumor I've heard directly from one Ubi insiders, claiming they were working on adapting the free running gameplay with trees. I'm still surprised ACIII is going to come one year after ACR and will most likely feature this.

ZiZ

interesting. I think it has lots of potential, but I don't know if I'll like the setting as much as I did the previous games.

Tawpgun

Actually... speaking about the hood...

I'd be totally down if they ditched the hood for a whitish tri-cornered hat that resembled the hood in some way.

NateDrake

AC3 is GameInformer's next cover. The main site has a banner for AC3 with the assassin tapping George Washington on the shoulder.

If I had to play JUST ONE of the Ezio games before this comes out, which one should it be?

Basically, don't wanna burn myself out on the franchise before this hits ....made that mistake when I platinumed Arkham Asylum and went straight into Arkham City =(

If I had to play JUST ONE of the Ezio games before this comes out, which one should it be?

Basically, don't wanna burn myself out on the franchise before this hits ....made that mistake when I platinumed Arkham Asylum and went straight into Arkham City =(
Assassin's Creed 2. But Brotherhood is pretty cool if you can stomach more.

C-Jo

Actually... speaking about the hood...

I'd be totally down if they ditched the hood for a whitish tri-cornered hat that resembled the hood in some way.
I always envisioned something along these lines:

brotherhood-of-the-wolf-movie-poster-2001-1020190251.jpg

But I guess the Assassin's hood is too iconic to change at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom