• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed 4 runs at 1080p@60fps on the PS4 [DF: Nope...]

Morts

Sounds great. Its going to be interesting to see PS3/PS4 comparisons when this comes out.

Also I hope the game is $20 by the time I get a PS4.

sun-drop

compare this to the division and yeh ..not surprised, i mean it's a current gen game right ...scaled up rez for ps4/xbone

Alienous

The multiplayer is developed by a separate team, no?

That might run at 60fps, whilst the singleplayer remains at 30. I mean, that jungle foliage does look good.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I really doubt we're going to see any first wave next gen title have a different resolution or framerate on one console. It might not even happen two years after launch.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The sea combat looks SOOOO GOOOD in this game. I'll probably end up buying it for that alone.

The naval missions are the only aspect of AssCreed 3 I'd label "good". I mean, they were linear and rather basic, but it sure felt nice pelting a nearby ship with cannon fire and watching it crumble. I love that the ocean is included in AssCreed 4's open world and hope there are some uncharted islands to discover.

Yep. All the conferences had some fuck ups this time, what can you do?

The poor Watch Dogs guy coming directly after that was about to have a panic attack on stage. I bet he was scared shitless something would go down with their demo too.

Doomshine

The poor Watch Dogs guy coming directly after that was about to have a panic attack on stage. I bet he was scared shitless something would go down with their demo too.

I was hoping he would something to comfort the Assassin's Creed guy instead of going on like nothing happened.

methane47

What exactly should we complain about? Shit happens, I bet they were mortified as it is.

Its just weird that no one is nitpicking. Very unusual for Gaf.

FURTHER MORE. Watching the demo the lady says that the Map is on SABA Island.
My dad is actually FROM Saba. I've lived there myself, And I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt. Saba Island Looks NOTHING like this video.

Saba island is the peak of a dormant volcano. There is pretty much no flat land on the island at all. The Capital of the island is called "the Bottom" and its 400 meters above sea level. This was the lowest spot on the island that a town could actually be built.

Large ships were UNABLE to dock because of the rough seas up until like the 1970's or so. People would have to come in on smaller boats. There was alot of pirate activity on the island but it just looked nothing like that quick demo.

Unless its another Saba island but yeah... i like to nitpick

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Stuff like this is the reason we never get real live game play.
Yeah, it was pretty obvious that the demo was bugged, as it started perfectly smooth and the performance degraded as it went on. Probably because of some unchecked memory leak or something.

iNvid02

runs at 1080p/60fps for 2-3 minutes at a time
KuGsj.gif

but seriously its so nice to see 60fps being adopted widely, FINALLY

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Is this confirmed for singleplayer too? Or just multiplayer? Because gamersyde's SP footage was 30 fps and they had 60 fps footage for all the games people talked about being 60 including the KZ footage.

You and me both! It really should be the absolute standard.

Don't get comfy with it. This is mainly happening since these are cross generation multiplatform games that are being bumped to work on better hardware. As they shift into making next gen exclusive titles next year and onward, we are going to see less 60fps titles. 60fps this early in a gen is not going to mean much

Luigiv

You've not played AssCreed 3 on the PC, have you? :p

No. :p

Ass Creed 2 ran fine (not 60 but fine) on my old, much less powerful than PS4 rig (C2D, gtx275, 3GB) so I figured Ass Creed 3 would be about the same. I guess I should have factored in that PC ports were getting less optimised as this gen ran on.

I have a question why is frame rate always in multiples of 15fps does it have to be capped at 30 or 60? In cases where 60fps is unattainable (most PS360 games) why do devs settle for 30fps cant' the do something like 40, 45 or 50?

I have a question why is frame rate always in multiples of 15fps does it have to be capped at 30 or 60? In cases where 60fps is unattainable (most PS360 games) why do devs settle for 30fps cant' the do something like 40, 45 or 50?

It's just target numbers really. COD which is touted as 60fps generally runs lowers than 60fps. Same with lot of 30fps titles, will on average be running in the 20's

Dysun

Will be picking it up along with Watch Dogs, looking forward to it even if they are glorified PC versions

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
No. :p

Ass Creed 2 ran fine (not 60 but fine) on my old, much less powerful than PS4 rig (C2D, gtx275, 3GB) so I figured Ass Creed 3 would be about the same. I guess I should have factored in that PC ports were getting less optimised as this gen ran on.

The PC version is definitely less buggy than its console counterparts, however CPU performance isn't well-optimised and as a result the framerate drops noticeably in busy areas. The game being CPU-limited is particularly odd since the NPC draw distance is akin to that of the console versions and the NPCs themselves have a very limited routine.

The previous games definitely ran well, however, particularly Brotherhood and Revelations (2, in addition to having a broken LOD system, has an equally weird ~65fps cap). I sure hope Black Flag fares equally well.

Luigiv

It's not multiples of 15, it's factors of 60. The reason for that is simple, 60Hz is the standard refresh rate for most modern displays.

When the frame rate is a factor of 60, then the number of times each frame is repeated is equal, creating a smooth image. At 60fps, each frame is displayed only once. At 30fps, each frame must be displayed twice in a row. At 20, three times. 15, four times and so on.

When you veer from factors of 60, you end up with frames being repeated unevenly, creating jitter. At 45fps, every third frame needs to be repeated but every other frame is only displayed once. Some people are pretty sensitive to seeing this (I'll admit, I'm not), so devs target factors of 60 to try and avoid this artefact from cropping up. Of course target doesn't mean deliver.

Grinchy

Banned
Damn, I seriously was not expecting many 60fps games for consoles. But with all these launch and near-launch games claiming 1080p and 60fps, I'm pretty pumped.

Mitchings

Banned
I won't be surprised if we still see a lot of games running at resolutions like 1280*1080 or 1440*1080 with horizontal upscaling to 1920*1080.

I'd certainly rather games dropped a few horizontal lines to maintain a stronger Performance and IQ.

snakeater

It's not multiples of 15, it's factors of 60. The reason for that is simple, 60Hz is the standard refresh rate for most modern displays.

When the frame rate is a factor of 60, then the number of times each frame is repeated is equal, creating a smooth image. At 60fps, each frame is displayed only once. At 30fps, each frame must be displayed twice in a row. At 20, three times. 15, four times and so one.

When you veer from factors of 60, you end up with frames being repeated unevenly, creating jitter. At 45fps, every third frame needs to be repeated but every other frame is only displayed once. Some people are pretty sensitive to seeing this (I'll admit, I'm not), so devs target factors of 60 to try and avoid this artefact from cropping up. Of course target doesn't mean deliver.

Besides, to be able to display a signal different than 60/30/20 FPS, you would need triple buffering (which increases lag) or would need Vsync to be off (which causes frame tearing) .

Last gen, some developers used what Nvidia calls "Adaptive Vsync" in which the system would drop Vsync if the framerate went below 30fps (to avoid going directly to 20, displaying 20-something with tearing instead).

Drachma

Banned
lol, I can remember about this time last year Nintendo fans were saying the Wii U version of AC3 was gonna be 1080p 60fps... still makes me smile a bit :)

Dave_6

I thought the vegetation looked great in the on-stage demo. Actually the whole demo looked good to me.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I was quite surprised how much better the 'next gen' version looks in comparison to current gen AC4. No doubt it will still have more bugs than a Starship Troopers movie.

Top Bottom