• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed 4 runs at 1080p@60fps on the PS4 [DF: Nope...]

But the game is designed to be the same experience on X1/PS4, as much as it is on 360/PS3. The game is scalable, but it would need a bunch of changes that would harm performance for those staying on a current gen machine; more than those upgrading.

Once current gen winds down, the new minimum bar for next gen systems and PC parts will not need to incorporate lower denominators of compatibility: 256/512MB ram respectively, to perform better.

You cannot gauge games that still are designed with all fundamentals perfectly workable on current gen to be mechanically, visually and fundamentally different on next gen.

What are you talking about? That's my whole point. I'm not talking about changes in the actual game, merely performance of the same game.

It's not a different game. It's the same AC4 as the AC4 on 360/PS3. There are no changes in the game design, scale of the world, etc. My whole point is that since this game is built even with 512mb RAM and ancient GPUs/CPUs in mind, they should have no problem at least reaching 60fps on systems magnitudes more powerful than current gen which we'll probably seeing running between 25-30fps.

AC3 was heavily CPU bound and I don't see this being any different. AC3 would often drop into the 35 to 40 fps range for me even though I have a 3.5 TF GPU and a Core i5 running at 4.8 Ghz. I ended up locking framerate to 30 fps just to keep it consistent. Still looked and played great.

Sounds like the game is just extremely unoptimized then.

KiraXD

if they can do 1080p 60fps with super high res textures, no downsized polycounts, 0 screen tearing, no graphical sacrifices... then im good with that... if they have to start sacrificing graphics/textures/effects, then just keep it at 30fps (60 over 30 isnt worth it for those trade offs)

Lingitiz

If it's locked at 30fps then I'm perfectly fine with that. Hell, it'd be running better than AC3 can on PC, and that's with a 770. Such a horribly optimized game.

It's heavily CPU limited and a pretty bad port. On my 4670k on stock clocks + 670 I never dropped below 40 though.

I have a Titan and 2600K at 4.5Ghz and I am scared to even load up AC3 looking at the figures.

With just a few extra graphical options this could have been avoided.

The only reason I am getting a PS4 is to alleviate this pain on certain games that I really want to play.

Metfanant

What a non-argument. Well done.
not at all...i firmly believe that 60fps would not have made the Uncharted series better games...smoother framerate? sure...and i wouldn't say "no 30fps is better don't give me 60" but the games would not have been any better, or enjoyable...

there was nothing 30fps took AWAY from the games...

Thrakier

not at all...i firmly believe that 60fps would not have made the Uncharted series better games...smoother framerate? sure...and i wouldn't say "no 30fps is better don't give me 60" but the games would not have been any better, or enjoyable...

there was nothing 30fps took AWAY from the games...

Well, not for you. For me, yes. May you just accept that perception differs?

Muzzy

Can someone point me to where Digital Foundry says the multiplayer of Assassin's Creed IV doesn't run at 60fps? Or maybe the OP thought even the single-player was running at 60fps, which is of course not the case.

The only thing I found is that sentence:
while reports came from the showfloor of a 60fps multiplayer experience, this was clearly a silky-smooth 30fps presentation.

The 30fps bit is about the single player demo.

velociraptor

Can someone point me to where Digital Foundry says the multiplayer of Assassin's Creed IV doesn't run at 60fps? Or maybe the OP thought even the single-player was running at 60fps, which is of course not the case.

The only thing I found is that sentence:

The 30fps bit is about the single player demo.
I think it's a bit weird to have a 30/60 divide in the game.

Here is the multiplayer footage for those who haven't seen it:
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_e3_ac4_multiplayer_gameplay_in_60_fps-14205_en.html

As you can see, it's running in smooth 60 frames.

Too bad they haven't achieved similar results with the SP campaign.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
30 for single player?

That's a shame, the graphic fidelity doesn't appear to be much greater than Assassin's Creed III.

For a game that has a bit of pride and work in it's smooth animations, the 60fps would obviously help display it even more. There is nothing they can do graphically that could help this aspect of the game the same way a higher framerate would.

RetroStu

Banned
30 for single player?

That's a shame, the graphic fidelity doesn't appear to be much greater than Assassin's Creed III.

I think its a jump for single player but not a huge jump. I do think the multiplayer looks considerably worse than the single player vids we have seen though so i wouldn't be suprised if multiplayer is 60fps.

patchday

60fps is very nice when playing online (competitive games). But for single player 30fps is just fine for me. Just dont drop below 30. I get annoyed playing Dark souls chugging along at 20fps on my xbox. Very happy dark souls 2 promises to target 30fps consistently

Just give me CONSISTENT 30fps please. Below that is not acceptable

Covilicious

Neo Member
Just because a few cross-gen titles might be 1080p60fps you think that this is becoming a "trend" for next gen? Lol. Once the competitiveness of graphics sets in and the bar is raised , developers will start cutting corners once again to achieve the best graphics possible. One of the first corners they will cut is dropping games below 60 fps.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Did DF debunk all this? If so, why isn't it in the OP?

The multiplayer setup they had at E3 was running at 60 fps, using PS4 controllers.
Single player seems to be running at 30 fps. Multiplayer at 60 fps, unless of course it was the PC version running with PS4 controllers and prompts, and the final game on the actual PS4 hardware is at 30. We'll know in a few months I guess.
Until then, there is "debunking" possible. We didn't make a mistake in claiming it was running at 60 fps, because it was.

Top Bottom