• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed: Identity soft released on iOS, actually plays like Assassin's Creed

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
With, you know, the allowance that it's a fully touch interface.

It's made by BlueByte of Anno fame.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mzCGX2q3Z4

Article: http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/30/6873723/assassins-creed-identity-ios

Screencaps:

ac1khb9c.png

ac2cux9j.png

ac36fall.png

ac4pmx3j.png

ac57kyv2.png

jtan

Hmmm, I wonder if there's a chance it'll be ported to Vita, since it doesn't seem like it's ever going to get another AC game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Hmmm, I wonder if there's a chance it'll be ported to Vita, since it doesn't seem like it's ever going to get another AC game.

What stuck out the most to me about this is that it is actually a really good approximation of what you'd normally expect to show up on a handheld showing up on iOS.

There was large concern that core oriented type handheld games would disappear with phones in favor of like an autobattler or an autorunner, but here we see what actually looks like what you'd expect out of Assassin's Creed on a phone.

I'm not sure if it's actually any good, but on a conceptual level it's an ambitious project.

jtan

What stuck out the most to me about this is that it is actually a really good approximation of what you'd normally expect to show up on a handheld showing up on iOS.

There was large concern that core oriented type handheld games would disappear with phones in favor of like an autobattler or an autorunner, but here we see what actually looks like what you'd expect out of Assassin's Creed on a phone.

I'm not sure if it's actually any good, but on a conceptual level it's an ambitious project.

Yeah, I'd like to see how well it performs with the touch controls. If it is any good, hopefully Sony jumps on this and at least get it released on Vita(since it seems to be what the norm is now for some games, iOS/Android/Vita)..

I enjoyed AC Liberations, (with its many flaws) and hope I can get another AC on the go.

SJRB

Gold Member
Hold the phone, that's in Florence? That's awesome! I fucking love Florence [and Venice of course] in ACII. However, touch controls = automatic no-go for me.

iNvid02

wow, really is ac put onto a mobile. worth a shot i guess since its free but i dont think im gonna have a good time with those touch controls.

square got it so right with hitman go, i thought that was very creative

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I guess part of the appeal of releasing mobile games is the low margins achieved from lack of advertising.

A soft release is basically a one territory release where they can beta test the game before going global, so they don't advertise that part and just see who picks it up and what they do.

Fuck me another ios exclusi.... wait... it's for android too?

Yeah the soft release was only on iOS, but the game is on Android too.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Is there crowds though? Or is it like the PSP/2 Assassin's Creed handheld outings where they minimize the crowds/remove them due to "martial law" or whatever bullshit to get around the reasoning of "LOL PERFORMANCE?"

SmokyDave

with this is how mobile is supposed to overtake consoles? pls. terrible graphics and terrible controls
This demonstrates the potential for 'core' experiences that would normally be found on dedicated handhelds. You should judge the graphics against other handheld ACs, not console games. I should imagine that the game supports MFi controllers so that's that sorted.

I doubt you're particularly open to reconsidering your thoughts, but I figured I'd try and help you dig what you're seeing.

This demonstrates the potential for 'core' experiences that would normally be found on dedicated handhelds. You should judge the graphics against other handheld ACs, not console games. I should imagine that the game supports MFi controllers so that's that sorted.

I doubt you're particularly open to reconsidering your thoughts, but I figured I'd try and help you dig what you're seeing.

I would like to be able to play this with touch controls on the road and then plug it into a dock connected to my tv and use a controller for some comfy couch big screen gaming at home.

I guess you can sort of do that now. I would rather have a wired dock to the tv.

SmokyDave

I would like to be able to play this with touch controls on the road and then plug it into a dock connected to my tv and use a controller for some comfy couch big screen gaming at home.
Yup, that's where I want this to go. That, or give me a better Apple TV with native app support, scaling, and MFi controller compatibility.

I have an MFi controller, and I find that 'touch on the go - pad at home' works great.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Looks like the game has IAP (to buy an in-game currency used to get better virtual items from a slot machine-like system) and the locations are all made up of repurposed assets from AC2/Brotherhood.

I can't fault Ubisoft for trying something a little more ambitious than usual, but I doubt this is going to impress anyone not already sold on iOS gaming.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Is there crowds though? Or is it like the PSP/2 Assassin's Creed handheld outings where they minimize the crowds/remove them due to "martial law" or whatever bullshit to get around the reasoning of "LOL PERFORMANCE?"

There's around maybe 15 people at once on the screen paging through.

There seems to be some confusion, but I'm not forwarding that this is supposed to be offering you the exact experience as a console game. They still sell those for $60 every year. This is definitely a mobile oriented recreation, but instead of having you play a minigame that has an Assassin's Creed skin, actually gives you something that looks like a scaled down AC game, which is what the PSP pretty much was for Western publishers.

The difference here is that this is also assuredly an f2p game given it's a mobile title, but that's kind of a business reality of the platform.

Dude's called Sparviero - Italian for sparrowhawk. Wonder what Ubi will do when they run out of cool bird names.

"You've come for the Apple, Cinciarella?"

I can't imagine they would expect anyone capable of playing the main AC games on PC or console to touch this. After all, they are releasing two "real" games in the series this year alone, three if you count Liberation HD.

I've played eveything aside from the DS/social network/mobile games, even a few of those, and even I can't get it up for more of this level of AC experience.

wrowa

Worth mentioning that Blue Byte isn't just one studio. Anno is done by Blue Byte Mainz (formerly Related Design). Don't know if those people are actually on this.

Top Bottom