• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

Big thread, I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but are there any performances differences between the platforms? I'm trying to decide on which to buy.

OmonRa

bridegur said:
Despite the crappy looking water and hokey idea of guards just standing around protecting random treasure chests, that Gametrailers video makes the game look like a lot of fun.

Actually I think the scene on GT (haven't watched it) is from a mission. Those aren't treasure chests. There's something else mission related inside. I won't spoil it. Most treasure chests in the game are in out the way locations and hidden. If these are in the street and have some guards around them then I suspect they are from the mission and not generic. Don't know if that helps, but there you have it.

Concept17

Rush2thestart said:
Big thread, I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but are there any performances differences between the platforms? I'm trying to decide on which to buy.

Early reports suggest the 360 version may be more stable, due to being locked at 30fps, where as the PS3 version will range from 25-30+ fps. This is pretty much no difference, and if you want a pixel by pixel comparison, you'll have to wait till after release.

Leminnes

Banned
SecretBonusPoint said:
Screen-tearing, pretty big pop-in... I'm liking what I see of the gameplay but not so much the tech. I don't remember the original having such problems, but its been a long time since I played it.

This is why I'll wait for the PC version. Never had any problems with the original, I doubt AC2 will be any worse. (Also I don't own a PS3 or 360, so I'm in a bind anyway. :p)

OmonRa said:
Actually I think the scene on GT (haven't watched it) is from a mission. Those aren't treasure chests. There's something else mission related inside. I won't spoil it. Most treasure chests in the game are in out the way locations and hidden. If these are in the street and have some guards around them then I suspect they are from the mission and not generic. Don't know if that helps, but there you have it.

The guy in the beginning even says its for a mission(steal the stuff in the chests then the boat).

Leminnes

Banned
bloodforge said:
The guy in the beginning even says its for a mission(steal the stuff in the chests then the boat).

He doesn't say what's in the chests and what we're stealing them for specifically, though.

Sai

Leminnes said:
He doesn't say what's in the chests and what we're stealing them for specifically, though.
We talkin' about the Gametrailers footage?

Outfits and weaponry are in the chests, they're for disguising their men as archers. The boat is to sneak into the palazzo.

Or are you talking about the mission as a whole? 'cause that would be spoiling. :eek:

Leminnes

Banned
OmonRa said:
That would be a spoiler!

Indeed it would be.

On another note, I love that we can swim in water now. I don't care if it's "lackluster," it's certainly better looking then the first game's water (due to the fact that it actually reacts when you touch it, oh, and that you CAN touch it.)

Sai said:
We talkin' about the Gametrailers footage?

Outfits and weaponry are in the chests, they're for disguising their men as archers. The boat is to sneak into the palazzo.

Oh, well, okay. So, why are the chests sitting out in the open with random guards protecting them? That seems like something that should be inside on a shelf or something. Or is it just a gameplay thing?

NIGHT-

ShallNoiseUpon said:
Has it been announced if the Gamestop exclusives will be available as paid DLC at any point in time?

"Eventually everyone will have the entire game," he said. "I made sure of that. Because I'm Canadian, I don't have the same shops as you do. So I wanted to make sure I could at least someday play everything in the game. Eventually there's going to be, okay, let's unlock everything."

From an interview with Kotaku and Patrice Desilets

Sai

Probably a gameplay thing. I think the guy Ezio's speaking to in the beginning is talking about using his men to distract the guards or something, which the guy narrating the video demonstrates later on. It's probably designed to teach you how to take sneak around guys in your way, and take advantage of thieves 'n' such to distract them.

NIGHT- said:
From an interview with Kotaku and Patrice Desilets
Think this includes the PS3/PSP-exclusive weapons? :/

OmonRa

Leminnes said:
Indeed it would be.

On another note, I love that we can swim in water now. I don't care if it's "lackluster," it's certainly better looking then the first game's water (due to the fact that it actually reacts when you touch it, oh, and that you CAN touch it.)

Oh, well, okay. So, why are the chests sitting out in the open with random guards protecting them? That seems like something that should be inside on a shelf or something. Or is it just a gameplay thing?

It should be explained when you get the mission if I recall correctly, but I'm sure it's also partly design/gameplay.

Leminnes

Banned
"Eventually everyone will have the entire game," he said. "I made sure of that. Because I'm Canadian, I don't have the same shops as you do. So I wanted to make sure I could at least someday play everything in the game. Eventually there's going to be, okay, let's unlock everything."

That's interesting logic, but whatever it takes, I guess. Paid DLC is a plague that hath brought forth by the unyielding gods of the unforgivable darkness resting in the human psyche.

OmonRa said:
It should be explained when you get the mission if I recall correctly, but I'm sure it's also partly design/gameplay.

Hopefully, things like that sort of shatter the immersion for me. I like to call it "Legend of Zelda Logic."

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Leminnes said:

Do you people even watch the videos? He says they need to disguise themselves as archers, they need archers clothes, some equipment was delivered recently but they are protected, go steal them, and steal a boat for them while you're at it.

Edit: beaten

Leminnes said:
Indeed it would be.

Cause when you make a game, you have to chose between adding more gameplay to it or not doing it at all just because it will break the immersion. To put the chests in some warehouse or some such would have required creating a special location just for that. I agree it would have been better, and this chest thing probably comes back often, but sometimes it's a question of making the feature or not doing it at all.

Leminnes

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
Do you people even watch the videos? He says they need to disguise themselves as archers, they need archers clothes, some equipment was delivered recently but they are protected, go steal them, and steal a boat for them while you're at it.

Yeah, I watched it. Missed that part. :p That's for the adequate call-out, though.

NIGHT-

Sai said:

The first part of the article

During my recent interview with Assassin's Creed II creative director Patrice Desilets of Ubisoft Montreal, the man who said he doesn't relate to the motivations of obsessive collectors said that no gamer will be locked out from accessing all of the content created for the game, including the pre-order maps marketed just through select retailers.

They say "all of the content". So take that as you will.

mileS

Rush2thestart said:

Just read the thread dude.

OmonRa

Ether_Snake said:

Cause when you make a game, you have to chose between adding more gameplay to it or not doing it at all just because it will break the immersion. To put the chests in some warehouse or some such would have required creating a special location just for that. I agree it would have been better, and this chest thing probably comes back often, but sometimes it's a question of making the feature or not doing it at all.

It's been a while but I honestly can't think of any other mission in the game that requires looting a chest (a testament to the non repetitive nature of the game)... But it's been a while, so don't quote me on this.

Ranger X

Sai said:
Probably a gameplay thing. I think the guy Ezio's speaking to in the beginning is talking about using his men to distract the guards or something, which the guy narrating the video demonstrates later on. It's probably designed to teach you how to take sneak around guys in your way, and take advantage of thieves 'n' such to distract them.

Probably not. This "all the content" from Patrice Desilet I am sure it means "all the content that matters and/or impact the game somewhere".

Leminnes

Banned
Ether_Snake said:

I wasn't thinking wearhouse, I was thinking guard quarters or, since it is apparently shipments, some guarded boxes near the water. Granted, I'm not sure where these chests relate to each other, but having them spread out and in the open seems odd. EITHER WAY, why the hell am I complaining? This game is going to be the shit either way.

Snipes424

Rush2thestart said:

The only thing I've read on twitter was the PS3 version had a little bit better looking textures. Other then that, I haven't heard much.

Just got the game!! :D :D

The Skater said:
Any word on the size of the PS3 install?
The Skater if this question isnt answered in next 15-20 minutes I can tell you, i'm just opening up my copy now.

Edit: On the back of the case it says "1.8 GB minimum".

Ranger X

ALaz502 said:
What's this bullshit about tearing?

I haven't seen one single tear on this justin.tv stream.

http://www.justin.tv/riccio

The marketing videos of AC2 have been terrible but it was just the video itself. Also, Gametrailers tend to suck at video in every possible ways.

The reality is that the game CAN tear but it's rare and small. (especially on 360).

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Ranger X said:
The marketing videos of AC2 have been terrible but it was just the video itself. Also, Gametrailers tend to suck at video in every possible ways.

The reality is that the game CAN tear but it's rare and small. (especially on 360).

Amusingly enough the most tearing I've seen ingame was (spoiler, real spoiler!)
during the Altair flashback sequence in Acre

So far, watching the stream for 20 minutes, you could tell that the majority of AC1's issues were definitely fixed.

However, retarded AI which just stands around while you pick apart random people is still there.

Ranger X

ALaz502 said:
So far, watching the stream for 20 minutes, you could tell that the majority of AC1's issues were definitely fixed.

However, retarded AI which just stands around while you pick apart random people is still there.

What do you mean by pick appart? Anyways the AI in this game will of course look silly when you isolate a character and judge. Most people don't notice that it's one of the most AI heavy game out there though. In most games you only have a handful of characters with all the same basic AI, in games like Assassin, Oblivion and certain aspect of GTA it's way more advanced that your normal AI. They work in group and have alot of different sets of reactions depending what not only what the player is doing but also what is happening with other AI characters + the envirronement (the situation).

Dead

well not really...yet
Blimblim said:
Amusingly enough the most tearing I've seen ingame was (spoiler, real spoiler!)
during the Altair flashback sequence in Acre
aaaahhhhhh why did I highlight :(((((

Ranger X said:
What do you mean by pick appart? Anyways the AI in this game will of course look silly when you isolate a character and judge. Most people don't notice that it's one of the most AI heavy game out there though. In most games you only have a handful of characters with all the same basic AI, in games like Assassin, Oblivion and certain aspect of GTA it's way more advanced that your normal AI. They work in group and have alot of different sets of reactions depending what not only what the player is doing but also what is happening with other AI characters + the envirronement (the situation).

There, did it for you. :D

Ranger X said:

Bascially this:

There's 5 people surrounding you. You're facing one. All the other people are just standing around doing nothing while you're slaughtering the one you're facing.

hmm my girlfriend didnt come over today so no impressions on that end but ill try to pop it in later tonight and will also install to HDD to see if theres a difference!

DevelopmentArrested said:
hmm my girlfriend didnt come over today so no impressions on that end but ill try to pop it in later tonight and will also install to HDD to see if theres a difference!

Yeeees you will. Of course you will.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Here are some impressions with very little in the way of spoilers. I've played 40 minutes so far and my first impression is I'm not having fun. I look to have fun within the first 15 minutes of a game, but the very beginning of this game is dreadful. There is so much story exposition, and it is not compelling at all. At this point in the story, I haven't even earned an assassin's weapon yet. When is it going to pick up? BTW, the melee combat is terrible, but I know that won't be a large part of the game, so I trudge forward, hoping to get my first assassin's mission and start the 'real game.'

The parkour/free-running is cool, and the graphics and voiceovers in Italy are great. No screen-tearing or other bugs encountered so far in the 360 version. Also, you get like 60 achievement points for barely doing anything in the beginning.

Edit: Finally got my first weapon after an hour and 17 minutes. Still no assassin mission, but the story has finally started for real.

Got the hidden blade 2 hours in. I can finally assassinate someone, but no mission yet. This is the slowest start ever in a video game.

Akia

The Lineage short film was awesome. short film spoilers:
I kept expecting the father to bite it in the end to pave a way for Ezio, it was refreshing that they didn't go there. Overall, it was really well done, the fight choreography was nice.

Akia said:
The Lineage short film was awesome. short film spoilers:
I kept expecting the father to bite it in the end to pave a way for Ezio, it was refreshing that they didn't go there. Overall, it was really well done, the fight choreography was nice.

Definitely a very impressive short, I imagine the budget wasn't that big. It looks/acts/sounds like a full on feature film. I really like the direction and was impressed by the cast and stunts and what not. And it didn't give away too much in terms of plot.

Damn all you early birds; how the hell do you get the game so early?!

jett

D-Member
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Damn all you early birds; how the hell do you get the game so early?!

pirate63.gif

you're an idiot. never heard of stores breaking release dates? ugh.

:lol Chill man I'm sure it was a joke. It sucks that stores never break release dates around me :( Oh well, it's worth the wait.

you're an idiot. never heard of stores breaking release dates? ugh.

I've played for maybe 2 hours... enjoying it a lot. The story is much better laid out this time and things seem to be making sense, even though there are still LOTS of things being left mysterious. However, their effort to make the story a little more structured and comprehensible is appreciated.

The gameplay is pretty fun till now, though there are tons of things I still havent learnt. Parkour is awesome, running away from guards is excellent, especially when you take to the roofs (which is really the most fun and exciting way to play the game!)

I wish I could spoil a little more... there are quite a few interesting things going on. Also... the language is quite crude from time to time. Definitely a Mature game.

kaskade

My question, Is the gameplay varied? I know that the devs say it is but anything can be more varied than the original.

Top Bottom