• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III [November 2012 - End of Desmond arc]

Qasiel

UrbanRats said:
I want Victorian era (which means London) Assassin's Creed, but i can't find very good art to support my cause.
• Dark, moody atmosphere? Check.
• Great, complex architecture? Check.
• Secret societies/Masonery, for the story mumbo jumbo? Check.
• Horses, guns and whatever? Check.

The Russian revolution would be cool aswell, but we already have the comicbook about that.

That would be pretty great.

Zeppelin

UrbanRats said:
I want Victorian era (which means London) Assassin's Creed, but i can't find very good art to support my cause.

This. God, this. If they do this they've hit all my favorite epochs.

Back in 2007 when AC started I expected to be seeing loads of different time periods and locations with super cool Assassin's all building up to a modern setting. But all we got was Ezio, Ezio and some more Ezio. =/

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Why do I get the feeling ACIII in 2012 will get a ACIII: Brotherhood in 2013 and ACIII: Revelations in 2014, and AC "Remix Reboot BTTF, It was snowglobe that a kid was playing with and thought all that up" for Xbox 720 & PS4 or in Japan PSDeath

jey_16

Banned
Does brotherhood add a lot to the story? I loved 1 and 2 but wasn't interested in multiplayer so I didn't get it

I will probably get revelations.....

Kabouter

jey_16 said:
Does brotherhood add a lot to the story? I loved 1 and 2 but wasn't interested in multiplayer so I didn't get it

If you're going to get Revelations, you should probably just pick up Brotherhood for cheap. It does add a lot to the story, it's simply the next chapter in the story after II. If you play Revelations without having played Brotherhood, you'll have missed quite a bit.

zlatko

Banned
They should have saved this for next gen honestly.

I'm not even remotely excited for Revelations, and I only played a few hours of Bhood before just going to youtube to look up the cut scenes that matter/the ending. I'll probably give Revelations a rental if it raises the bar more than Bhood did. AC1 and 2 I completed and enjoyed a great deal, and it was probably because of the room between those two to be hankering for another dose.

1 year cycle is just a quick way to drive something into the ground, or for me just put it on a rental list.

WJD

As long as the quality stays around the same level as II, Brotherhood and likely Revelations then I have absolutely no problem with the amount of games released.

Bloody brilliant series.

DaBuddaDa

That comment about how "the internet is close" to where it'll take places makes me think it will actually be french revolutionary times.

Monocle

Kabouter said:
While I agree that as far as yearly franchises go, AC has done pretty well so far, Brotherhood just really isn't the best in the series to me. Rome was disappointing compared to cities like Florence and Venice in AC2, the story wasn't nearly as good as in AC2, the 'The Truth' sequences were considerably worse (and with a less satisfying conclusion), the Da Vinci missions were at best boring and the city investment stuff wasn't as satisfying as upgrading Montereggioni was in AC2. Of course the game did do some things better, I really enjoyed being able to call in assassins (though I would've liked some deeper management of it), and it really felt like it belonged as a part of the gameplay. I also enjoyed taking down those towers that oppressed parts of the city, although I thought that type of mechanic was done better in the Saboteur. However I would say my favourite thing about Brotherhood was that they had you play more as Desmond, which I thought AC2 didn't let you do nearly enough, I would like to see more of that still in AC:R and AC3.
Fair points. AC2 does have some great cities, and the plot is very well done. Love Leonardo. But for me Brotherhood comes out on top, if only barely, because so many of its additions work so well. Assassin helpers are fun to find, fairly engaging to level up, and awesome to call into combat. A great idea well executed (though, as you mentioned, with some room for improvement). Assassination combos improve on the stilted combat of past games by making fights much more dynamic. It's nice to be able to take full advantage of your arsenal. In your average combat scenario you're letting a handful of throwing knives fly just before you dispatch someone up close, switching to your sword and countering another enemy with a fatal stab, then popping the last with your gun. Sure, you're overpowered, but arguably that's not a bad thing, since the real challenge comes from attempting discreet assassinations anyway. The Borgia towers are one of the most enjoyable things in the whole series because all the best aspects of the gameplay are involved in taking them down.

Bob Tampinha said:
The problem is that from 2 to Brotherhood there wasn't a evolution, sure they packed more content in it, but the mechanics stayed the same, the combat got even more easier and the stealth still is nonexistant.From what we have of Revelations gameplay, it seems that it's the same shit from brotherhood in a different place, and i doubt they're going to make significant improvement in a year.So yeah, i think there is a reason to complain.
I don't think stealth is nonexistent. There are plenty of missions in which the best approach is to stay undetected, and you're almost always free to hunt a target stealthily if you so choose. Thanks to the crossbow and the improved target lock you can actually clear most of the game without engaging in open combat.

A one year release cycle too rapid, I'll agree, but we really don't have good reason to complain yet—only to be concerned about the series' potential stagnation. Revelations has an interesting setting, a major new mechanic in the hookblade, a unique plot structure, and a bunch of amusing little additions like traps and bomb tossing. It's a sound approach to build on the foundation of the series' established tropes. Fans have certain expectations that should be fulfilled: more of the same, but better. The gameplay doesn't need to be radically reworked because it's already fun.

I'm not gonna pick up Revelations on day 1, but I'm still excited for it. There's just too much coming out to save any time for that, when I could just buy it cheaper later.

I'll say one thing, though: I still think Ezio's story should've ended with ACII, when it became clear to the players he ultimately was just a vessel for Desmond. Him exclaiming "I've so many questions!" was a great tragic ending to his already tragic storyline. I enjoyed Brotherhood and am looking forward to Revelations, but the Ezio stuff just feels insignificant and useless now. Give me a new timeframe already, or a completely modern AC if they can pull it off.

I heard they were testing gameplay design to adapt the free running to threes to set the next game in the french revolution AND in the US revolutions (that didn't had so much cities back then but more countrysides).

Midou

French Revolution would definitely be the best.

I don't mind playing an AC game per year, brotherhood didn't have as much story as 2, but it still added some pretty nice things (like hiring assassins). It still had the same great gameplay as in 2 as well.

Milk me Ubisoft, all over my face.

They did it much better this time than with Prince of Persia last-gen.

Oh shit, I hope is Victorian era then. Gloomy London recreation would be incredible.
I would do two playthroughs, one with the awesome spanish do Ubisoft does with the AC series and the other in english with their awesome accent. It would be glorious.

MMaRsu

Banned
rockman zx said:
During the GAMEFEST 2011 (ends today) in Spain, Ubisoft has revealed to the site Juegosd some juicy info. They removed the info from the website but someone managed to save the text.

Here it's in spanish:

This is the dead link: http://www.juegosdb.com/lanzamiento-de-assassins-creed-3-pc-ps3-xbox-360/

Take it with a grain of salt, but it makes too much sense to be fake.

Not sure if the end of the current arc means 100% sure that it's the end of Desmond too, but that's what people is reporting.
Fuck you ubisoft for running a,promising series into the ground

MMaRsu

Banned
Spiffy_1st said:
Back in 2007 when AC started I expected to be seeing loads of different time periods and locations with super cool Assassin's all building up to a modern setting. But all we got was Ezio, Ezio and some more Ezio. =/
Because.why put forward.the effort?

MNC

What the fuck. So relevations is not AC3.

+1 for victorian and perhaps some alternate timeline with some steampunk :3

Taiser

Sengoku/Edo period Assassin's Creed

2rj1q.jpg

there are a shit-ton of warlords, samurai, ronin assassins,famous swordsman and ninjas in this bitch, yo!

DaBuddaDa

Spiffy_1st said:
It takes a long time to build entirely new assets and worlds like that, and implement appropriate gameplay systems for the eras. Regardless of the existence of Brotherhood and Revelations, AC3 in a new time period would probably still be a 2012, maybe 2011 release. That's only 2-3 years since AC2; pretty normal time between sequels.

UrbanRats

Kabouter said:
While I agree that as far as yearly franchises go, AC has done pretty well so far, Brotherhood just really isn't the best in the series to me. Rome was disappointing compared to cities like Florence and Venice in AC2, the story wasn't nearly as good as in AC2, the 'The Truth' sequences were considerably worse (and with a less satisfying conclusion), the Da Vinci missions were at best boring and the city investment stuff wasn't as satisfying as upgrading Montereggioni was in AC2. Of course the game did do some things better, I really enjoyed being able to call in assassins (though I would've liked some deeper management of it), and it really felt like it belonged as a part of the gameplay. I also enjoyed taking down those towers that oppressed parts of the city, although I thought that type of mechanic was done better in the Saboteur. However I would say my favourite thing about Brotherhood was that they had you play more as Desmond, which I thought AC2 didn't let you do nearly enough, I would like to see more of that still in AC:R and AC3.
You make some good points (even though i still think Brohood is the most fun to play) but this one, i can't agree with.
Now While Venice and Florence were very nice (Venice especially), Rome had a far more complex geometry and level design, that called for a more satisfying parkour gameplay.
Florence was basically a flat surface with blocks as building, while Rome was far more twisted and multilayered.

The only problem was the lack of various moods, that you got in AC2, thanks to the different places (Forlì, San Gimignano, Venice and so on) but in terms of gameplay, Rome was far more advanced.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
MMaRsu said:
Because.why put forward.the effort?
Meh. We were supposed to get AC1 in 2007, AC2 in 2009, then AC3 in 2012. Each with a new hero (and Desmond of course) and time period. Instead we got AC1, AC2, ACB, ACR then AC3.
As long as AC3 is as good as it was supposed to be when they decided to release it 3 years after AC2, why would the inclusion of ACB (great game) and ACR (hopefully as good as ACB) in the time line be a bad thing?
Of course if AC3 turns out to be disappointing or barely an incremental upgrade from AC2 in terms of engine and gameplay mechanics, then it's a whole other story.

Derrick01

Banned
jey_16 said:

No, it really adds next to nothing to the overall story now that I think about it but it is a fun game. I didn't play multiplayer either but the single player was still 20+ hours.

As for this I'm glad it's ending next year as I was done with the series if they let AC3 out next year or not. There's only so much milking I can take. I really hope it's not the french revolution either as I don't want to play a french guy and listen to those accents for 15 hours. I would much rather have it be Desmond in modern times since it's supposed to wrap up his story and he's pretty much an assassin like the others now.

No, it really adds next to nothing to the overall story

You can't be serious, try playing 2 and Revelations after that without touching ACB, you will be lost, specially with the cliffhanger endings.

Derrick01

Banned
rockman zx said:
You can't be serious, try playing 2 and Revelations after that without touching ACB, you will be lost, specially with the cliffhanger endings.

Right it has a little bit at the end but for the other 20 hours nothing important really happens.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Has nobody learned from Brotherhood and Revelations?

Obviously AC3 isn't going to wrap up Desmond's story. AC3 will start a new time period (very likely
French Revolution
based on Brotherhood's ending), Desmond will delay whatever thing they've been hinting at since the beginning, and then we'll get two more games starring the third assassin.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
rockman zx said:
People still follow AC's story?

That's cute.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Taiser said:
Sengoku/Edo period Assassin's Creed

2rj1q.jpg

there are a shit-ton of warlords, samurai, ronin assassins,famous swordsman and ninjas in this bitch, yo!
I'm with this. But instead of protagonist samurai.... NINJAS

Bad_Boy said:
I'm with this. But instead of protagonist samurai.... NINJAS

Yes it would make much more sens. Ninja assassinating samourai and shogun. Plus, a samourai could not free run with it's armor.

rvy

Banned
omnomis said:
210m806.gif

It's not milking if the quality bar keeps going up.
It's still milk regardless of the cow's quality. Debug that shit better, Ubisoft. Seriously.
Oh, and bring back the original AC's graphical style. All the sequels look like cartoons. Me no likey.

assassins-creed-20070920083601799.jpg

This is good.

assassins-creed-ii-20090923115305803.jpg

This is a cartoon.

UrbanRats

We know the cutscene models were shit in AC2, but they got fixed in Brohood.
Also the artstyle in AC2 was gorgeous (and so it was in Brotherhood), actually better than in AC1.
The faces were not more cartoony, they were simply shitty in the cutscenes.

K' Dash

UrbanRats said:
We know the cutscene models were shit in AC2, but they got fixed in Brohood.
Also the artstyle in AC2 was gorgeous (and so it was in Brotherhood), actually better than in AC1.
The faces were not more cartoony, they were simply shitty in the cutscenes.

I have to say I've never seen cities so full of life and beautiful as the ones on brohood and II.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Man, 5 AC games in 6 years...that's a lot. At least it's a new numbered entry and not AC2.3, though. Brotherhood wasn't bad by any means, and I doubt Revelations will be either, but the yearly entries have been enough to diminish the enthusiasm I could have had for a real sequel to AC2. A new setting might help, but I'm tired of playing these games.

They need to move on to a different assassin rather than milking Altair and Ezio. I liked how there was this expectation at the start of the series that each game would feature a different era and assassin.

RBK

Banned
Like others have said, I don't care for a yearly release when the game is obviously improving in each installment. And to be honest, a year doesn't matter in a story-driven franchise, this isn't COD people.

Angry Fork

UrbanRats said:
I really love this image. I hope AC3 has a weather system in place that includes rain and stuff. I want the setting to get really dark, misty, foggy, some rain so that the environments/streets are wet etc. It would be so nice.

Top Bottom