• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III Review Thread [Embargo Over, Reviews Coming In]

Metacritic link

Metacritic of the previous games for reference:
AC II - 90
AC Brotherhood - 89
AC I - 81
AC Revelations - 80

Hyperbolic Quote of the Year
Hardcore Gamer 5/5

Assassin’s Creed III is one of those rare games conceived to be revolutionary from the beginning. Games like this only come around once in a generation. One of the most, if not the most, ambitious titles ever created. An inspiring testament to what can be accomplished with unbridled devotion, it’s possible that nothing of this magnitude will ever be attempted again. It’s a truly definitive event that will be looked-back as a crucial step in gaming evolution.

Reviews:
Eurogamer - 9/10
Assassin's Creed was once a fascinating mystery wrapped around a fun action-adventure - remember when you first loaded up the original game and it began in the Abstergo offices and you had no idea what was going on? - but that fun action-adventure game has long since eclipsed the fiction that envelops it. That's more true than ever in Assassin's Creed 3, where you're a hunter, a ship captain, a silent killer, an entrepreneur, a swashbuckling sword-fighter and many other things besides. It all serves to make this the biggest and richest Assassin's Creed game to date - maybe not the best, but a place where, for want of a better expression, everything is permitted.

1UP B-
On paper Assassin's Creed III has all the right ideas for a blockbuster entry: It takes place in a vast and detailed open environment and has expansive countrysides filled with trees and things to do. The free running system makes even casual players look like parkour savants. It even has ship-to-ship combat missions, so a player can engage in some of the prettiest sea faring spectacle this console generation has seen yet. And let's not forget multiplayer features that introduce cooperative elements.

Even with all of these refinements, some serious questions need to be answered after ACIII. What good do 30 possible points of interest on a map accomplish when a majority of them highlight the same gameplay flaws? Where can Ubisoft Montreal take this story after so many silly plot twists? Can combat ever really capture the essence of being an assassin without severely automated contrivances? Maybe Assassin's Creed III and a half will finally address these problems, or maybe it won't. In either case, it's time for Ubisoft Montreal to reassess their intentions for this series and try to rediscover its roots. AC can only sail on its past success for so long before it sinks into a sea of formulaic design.

EDGE - 8
Assassin’s Creed has developed so many variations of and diversions from its core of running, clambering and stabbing that to play properly is to become – like Desmond – absorbed in Connor’s life. It’s a life more familiar than the novel setting would have you believe: combat can still feel packed with attrition, while additions such as flintlock firearms and Connor’s tomahawk add a dash of period flavour, but fail to rewrite the rules. Meanwhile, stealthily infiltrating a fort protected by Assassin’s Creed’s occasionally perfunctory AI feels much the same whatever the century the action is set against. Such activities are the heart of this series, and you may well have played three games built around them in as many years. But still, ACIII cuts back on Revelations’ limper additions (there’s no tower defence here) and adds substance of its own, including a brave new world. The result is a refreshed, rejuvenated Assassins’ Creed; a solid foundation upon which the yearly iterative release cycle can be maintained; and a sprawling, detailed adventure to enjoy.

Joystiq - 3.5/5
It's sad to see the game lose sight of its assassin role-playing ideals in favor of bombast, bomb blasts and pig herding, so I hope this is but a momentary stumble while the franchise regains its balance. Trim the excess, remember the central thrust (hint: it's with a knife) and then you'll have a great game again. Assassin's Creed 3 is the kind of game that's just good enough to make you wish it was better. (Just don't get me started on the ending.)

CVG - 8/10
A gargantuan, lavish historical epic, let down by shoddy mission design. Great, but not the revolution we were hoping for.

IGN - 8.5/10
Assassin's Creed III is very enjoyable overall, but it’s not consistently brilliant. Not everything about the game gels together convincingly and the missions’ unnecessary prescriptiveness sometimes undermines the sense of freedom that the rest of the game works so hard to create. But it achieves so much that you can’t help but respect it; no other open-world game has ever given us a setting that's as impressive to observe or as full of things to do as this. Connor’s story has its lulls but it still tells a tale much richer and more compelling than most other games manage, set in a fascinating period of history. Assassin’s Creed III isn’t as huge an improvement upon its predecessors’ achievements as many players will be hoping for, but it’s still up there with the best that the series has achieved - even if it isn't quite the best.

Gamespot - 8.5/10
Assassin's Creed III is a big game that gives you a lot to do, some of which is fleshed out relatively well, and some of which isn't. It is not, however, content to rest on the series' laurels. It takes chances with its opening, with its story, and with its characters. It expands the series' gameplay in enjoyable and sensible ways. As with many ambitious games, not every arrow fired hits the bull's-eye, yet this big, narratively rich sequel is easy to get invested in. Other games stimulate emotion with manipulative music and teary monologues; Assassin's Creed III rouses your mind and your heart by giving you a glimpse into its characters' souls and letting you judge them on their own merits.

The Good
Enthralling, thematically rich storytelling. Tense and atmospheric sea battles. It's a joy to watch your homestead develop. Amazing attention to historical and visual details. Lots of rewarding missions to undertake.

The Bad
Too many bugs and glitches. Hunting mechanics go largely undeveloped. Parkour and stealth inconsistencies.

Destructoid - 7.5/10
A solid game that definitely has an audience. Might lack replay value, could be too short or there are some hard-to-ignore faults, but the experience is fun.
Read more at http://www.destructoid.com/review-assassin-s-creed-iii-237623.phtml#7IUBfcYDCDLGuAmm.99

Polygon - 8/10
Assassin's Creed 3 has a host of issues that pop up throughout the game, issues which by themselves have been enough to drag other titles under. But there's so much good in Assassin's Creed 3, it's so ambitious, so singular, that I can't stop thinking about it, and what's more, Ubisoft may have finally cracked the riddle of inventive multiplayer that doesn't rely on a large playerbase to enjoy. Even knowing that I'll encounter issues that make the game occasionally infuriating, I want to go back. And that, despite Assassin's Creed 3's flaws, is more than I can say for most games.

GamesRadar - 4/5
Overall, Assassin’s Creed III is a fun and thrilling wrap-up for the series. While it has its share of wonky sections--it’s bloated with too many features and collectibles, its pacing is off, and the Desmond sections fall short of expectations--it truly captures the thrills that have made the series so successful. The improvements to free-running, a sophisticated and well-realized combat system, and a gorgeous new rural playground are all phenomenal updates to the gameplay. Its new multiplayer features insure that there’s content worth coming back to after you’ve slain the final villain. Assassin’s Creed III is uneven in its execution, but it’s a journey that’s still well worth taking.

Gametrailers - 9.2/10
GameInformer - 9/10
OXM - 8.5/10
G4 - 5/5
GR - 5/5
OPM - 7/10
Electronic Theatre - 91/100
S&S - 9.75/10
Gamesbeat - 79/100
The Independent - 4/5
Strategy Informer - 9/10
Gamezone.de - 9.2/10
Gamepro.de - 92/100
Gamesaktuell.de - 8.5/10
Playfront.de - 10/10
Play3.de - 9/10
PC Games - 88/100
X360 Magazine - 9/10
Meristation - 8.5/10
Italian Xbox 360 Magazine - 10/10
PS3Gen.fr - 9.5/10

4pm GMT?!

Why, that's 10 minutes away! Interested in reading a few reviews to see if anyone mentions how a relative newcomer to the overarching story would fare.

Edit: Well I feel stupid now :'(

SteeloDMZ

Banned
"It has been and will be one of the names of 2012, Assassin's Creed III, a bestseller that will restore the confidence Ubisoft was losing a beloved franchise like this, with annual delivery and beginning to fall into repetition."

That's one terrible "final paragraph".

Takao

Banned
"It has been and will be one of the names of 2012, Assassin's Creed III, a bestseller that will restore the confidence Ubisoft was losing a beloved franchise like this, with annual delivery and beginning to fall into repetition."

That's one terrible "final paragraph".

That's probably been Google Translated.

AkuMifune

Banned
My bullshit meter has been replaced by a full out rage scale. I just can't take scored reviews from anyone seriously anymore. Like I ate tainted food and now have an aversion to it.

Dennis

Banned
Inconsequential reviews trickling out:

That is pretty patronizing actually. Just because a review isn't from an English native speaking site doesn't mean that the review is any less valuable.

And after recent events I don't think the English-speaking games media has more credibility than any others.....

Penguin

Odd that the embargo breaks tomorrow during the day

AC 3 seems to be a big enough game to warrant reviews ahead of time

fernoca

Odd that the embargo breaks tomorrow during the day

AC 3 seems to be a big enough game to warrant reviews ahead of time
Probably to avoid the hyperboles and negatives getting out of control. I mean, the multiplayer/microstransactions thread already has people saying that they won't be buying the game "now", imagine if something like Gamespot's Resident Evil 6= 4/10 happened again? :p

That way, "fans" will already have the game because of midnight releases and whatnot and will be too into the game to stop and read reviews. :p

That is pretty patronizing actually. Just because a review isn't from an English native speaking site doesn't mean that the review is any less valuable.

And after recent events I don't think the English-speaking games media has more credibility than any others.....

It's nothing to do with language (I speak Spanish) nor credibility nor value. I consider them less significant because I haven't heard of them, am not familiar with them and I don't read them on a regular basis.

I cancelled my pre-order because of this day 1 review embargo nonsense.

It's a joke that they expect people to buy their game without reading reviews first.

Arrogance at it's finest.

So instead of a $60 release date buy, I will wait til Black Friday and get it for somewhere between $30-$40.

Nice job Ubisoft.

Microsoft earned a day 1 buy from me when they let reviews out a whole 2 weeks before release on Forza Horizon. Publishers should take note...

Vire

I don't even understand how it's possible to have the embargo release half way through the day it comes out.

Like, I can get the game at 10 AM and blab all I want about it online, but the press can't talk about it till 12 PM?

What the fuck.

Miles X

A good chunk of people will (legitimately) be playing this already before Reviews are out, it is very annoying and silly Ubi wait till day of release ...

I don't even understand how it's possible to have the embargo release half way through the day it comes out.

Like, I can get the game at 10 AM and blab all I want about it online, but the press can't talk about it till 12 PM?

What the fuck.

Just goes to show that press is nothing but a PR tool nowadays, and its sad.

Empty

What the fuck.

they wouldn't be able to complete it for days though, ubisoft have all the power here as they alone grant the ability to give them the game early enough to play through for review and when you're this big budget and part of a well known, well advertised brand they don't need reviewers.

Kerub

Banned
I don't really care about the reviews, unless there are really big technical problems with the game. I know what I'm getting when I buy Assassins Creed!

Penguin

Probably to avoid the hyperboles and negatives getting out of control. I mean, the multiplayer/microstransactions thread already has people saying that they won't be buying the game "now", imagine if something like Gamespot's Resident Evil 6= 4/10 happened again? :p

That way, "fans" will already have the game because of midnight releases and whatnot and will be too into the game to stop and read reviews. :p

Maybe Ubisoft isn't all that confident about the game scoring extremely positive.

At this point, I feel like there's a large number of players who will buy AC 3 no matter what.

My bullshit meter has been replaced by a full out rage scale. I just can't take scored reviews from anyone seriously anymore. Like I ate tainted food and now have an aversion to it.

I quite like Ars Technica's system of 'Try it', 'Buy it' or a recommendation to give it a miss.

Santiako

Meristation's review mentions a lot of bugs. Their review subtitle is "A vast and beautiful universe... of bugs." That kind of worries me.

Mxrz

Its sort of like the PR machine has come full circle. It likely won't be a bad game, but being embargo'd til release makes it seem like there's something to hide. And its flipping hilarious players will be reviewing it before the 'press' can. Publishers have pretty much cut them out of the equation. I wonder if it stings.

I think the game will have a 87 metascore.

I'm much more excited for the Vita game to be honest.
I haven't followed it closely but, an AC game without Desmond or any weird modern sci-fi stuff sounds more appealing in general.

sflufan

Banned
I, for one, eagerly wait these TOTALLY publisher swag non-influenced, "Not A Journalist/Professional Enthusiast Opinions" of this viscerally epic interactive entertainment experience!

GlamFM

Banned
Late reviews are always a good reason to be sceptic at least. My shop has the game since friday, resisted picking it up.

Horizon is a good example of how early reviews can really generate some serious hype.

AkuMifune

Banned
I, for one, eagerly wait these TOTALLY publisher swag non-influenced, "Not A Journalist/Professional Enthusiast Opinions" of this viscerally epic interactive entertainment experience!

Polygon will give it a 2/10 just to prove how hardcore they are. Every review has an agenda of its own, which is why few can be trusted anymore.

Polygon will give it a 2/10 just to prove how hardcore they are. Every review has an agenda of its own, which is why few can be trusted anymore.

Here we go

activist3jj5l.jpg

GlamFM

Banned

If somebody is looking for a review he can "trust" in he probably has the wrong expectations.

How can there be an embargo for 12 hours after the game is released?

Good reason to be sceptic I´d say. MoH did something similar - for good reasons as we know now.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
How can there be an embargo for 12 hours after the game is released?

The game releases tomorrow morning in the us, basically at the same time that the embargo is lifted, and then everywhere else on 31st, unless I'm mistaken.
Ubisoft has been doing this for all AC games since AC2 (can't remember AC1), it's no indication of the quality, or lack of.

GlamFM said:
Good reason to be sceptic I´d say. MoH did something similar - for good reasons as we know now.

No, reviewers didn't even get MoH code until day of release. For AC3 reviewers have had code for a while so that they have time to play through the game. They just can't post reviews until day of release. That's standard for a lot of games these days and isn't a reflection of quality one way or the other.

Top Bottom