• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag press previews

Quentyn

First previews:

Polygon
http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/4/4043166/assassins-creed-4-black-flag-ac4

Judging from the hour-long presentation of slides, trailers and gameplay we were shown in New York City last week, Black Flag looks like a spin-off game. It's an open-world pirate simulator, a marked departure from the more narratively linear Assassin's Creed games that came before it.

Eurogamer
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...preview-how-ubisoft-plans-to-hook-you-back-in

Black Flag appears to be a hybrid of the series' more charismatic early-Ezio era set within a truly open world of land and sea, on a scale reminiscent of The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker.

Destructoid
http://www.destructoid.com/assassin-s-creed-iv-s-promise-of-a-seamless-open-world-247659.phtml

So far, it's sounding like Ubisoft is working on improving the formula and I'm definitely interested with IV, especially if the seamless and emergent nature they're striving for at least matches what Far Cry 3 pulled off.

Kotaku
http://kotaku.com/5988249/be-excited-about-assassins-creed-iv-and-be-skeptical

One hopes Black Flag can meet the hype, but this far out you never know. Could be great. Could be a mess. (Could write that line for any preview.) But at least Ubisoft's developer armies spend a couple of years on each of these Assassin's Creed games. At least they never skimp on content. At least they typically go somewhere new and succeed or struggle spectacularly.

Pirates? It's an odd fit for this series.

An open-word naval adventure done by the kind of international mega-team that makes Assassin's Creed games? Sure. That's exciting enough.

Strategyinformer
http://www.strategyinformer.com/ps3/assassinscreed4blackflag/previews.html

Exploration, an open world and a wider variety of tasks and freedom in which to engage in those tasks are all key to Ubisoft here – and in concept, it’s all pretty damn exciting. Freedom is ‘Wind Waker’s’ greatest asset, and I wiled away many hours on ‘Pirates!’ trading spices and robbing merchants – so combining the two with the quality Assassin’s Creed action excites me immensely.

There’s only so much you can glean about a game like this without going hands-on – and so though seeing the concepts behind Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag has helped to rekindle the flame where the third entry dulled it, I’ll withhold full judgement until I actually get to play it. For now, though? This is certainly one to watch.

GameTrailers
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/ojwd19/assassin-s-creed-iv--black-flag-first-take

Adam Sessler Interview on Gameplay, Story, and More!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrR97lZcIB0

IGN
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/04/the-dawn-of-assassins-creed-iv-black-flag

Assassin’s Creed has long had grand ambitions, but those same narrative and game design risks have sometimes proven the series’ greatest weakness. Those bold desires, combined with the speed at which AC iterations are released, has resulted in a variety of flaws that have remained for years. But now, as this sixth installment begins to make the transition between the existing generation (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii U, PC) and the next (so far PlayStation 4 is confirmed), Ubisoft’s designs seem to be getting a new lease on life – a new freedom to think bigger than ever.

Black Flag, if Ubisoft’s intentions come to life, seems poised to address some of those problems. The team seems genuinely interested in not only providing a new, naval-based, open world experience, but finding a better lead character, and fixing some of the faulty missions and gameplay systems from the past. There is plenty more to learn about the game, and plenty to play, but if nothing else, it’s genuinely exciting to see Assassin’s Creed head in this direction.

-only short gameplay was shown
-new team
-development began in the summer of 2011
-written by the scriptwriter of Revelations
-no campaign co-op
-player will be an employee of Abstergo Entertainment, a subsidiary of Abstergo Industries
-no Desmond, but other characters will return
-something similar to the brotherhood of assassins will be back
-setting includes Cuba, Bahamas, Nassau and south Florida
-game includes jungles, temples, Mayan ruins, underwater ship wrecks and more
-a lot of work is put in improving stealth
-ocean combat and exploration center of the game
-Player can use a spyclass to spot ships with an overlay explaining weapons, treasure etc
-swimming and underwater combat is in
-hunting whales is possible
-no carefully crafted subtext or political intrigue
-Templars will be back
-enemy will be a collective of rival pirates
-certain islands will be difficult to access at the beginning of the game
-more tall buildings than in AC3

- Kenway is a member of the assassins, but holds most allegence to himself.
- He's fighting a band of rival pirates.
- Giving "the HBO treatment" to pirates.
- No Desmond Miles. You control an employee of Abstergo Entertainment, a subsidary of Aspergo. They're researching the life of Edward Kenway to make...a video game.
- Big focus on Kenway's ship. Can upgrade/customise.
- Spyglass to spot ships and distant islands.
- Open world ship exploration. Metroidvania style world design that requires ship upgrades to better access certain areas.
- Calling it "true open world" and "systemic gameplay". Don't want players to be burdened with loading screens and an abundance of cutscenes as they explore the world.
- Blackbeard, Charles Vane, Calico Jack, Anne Bonny, and Ben Hornigold make an appearance.
- Bartholomew Roberts' assualt on 42 Portuguese ships, and the Spanish Armada wreck, to be shown.
- Open ended assassinations to return.
- Random events in the game world. Example: accidentally stumbling upon an giant enemy ship, then luring that ship into a tropical storm. Boarding the weakened ship to conquer.
- Underwater swimming confirmed.
- Whale hunting
- Cuba, Nassau, tip of Florida, and The Bahamas. Jungles, temples, villaiges, Mayan ruins, underwater shipwrecks, etc.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Wait, did the release date change? Wasn't it October in the leaked trailer?
Probably EU date

Just read the preview, nextgen is the way to go
The way they describe the new openworld (sea and land with no loading?) demands nextgen consoles, I can already see the performance on current gen and it don't look pretty
But then again maybe it does lol

Jb

Sounds like a ton of fun. We finally get that Disney open world Pirates game, but under a different name.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Destructoid's preview mentions development begun in the summer of 2011, so by the time the game goes gold it'll have spent a little under 2.5 years in the oven, rather than the rushed one-year development cycles of Brotherhood and Revelations. That's somewhat reassuring in its own way as it gives the team much more time to experiment with ideas, a problem that plagued Revelations as it did very little to remove itself from the foundation provided by Brotherhood.

Edit: I sincerely hope there are uncharted islands you can discover. When it comes to "secret" areas and collectibles, Ubi has a history of beating you over the head with their locations.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Black Flag appears to be a hybrid of the series' more charismatic early-Ezio era set within a truly open world of land and sea, on a scale reminiscent of The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker. Gone are the boundaries marking ground and ship-based missions. The transition from one to the other is "seamless", Ubisoft promised, with the "reckless and charismatic" Edward Kenway able to jump onto his ship, sail off with his crew, board another vessel, plunder their booty and pull back into harbour for a spot of grog at the local tavern - all in the same huge map.

Holy crap, that is exactly what I said I wanted after playing AC3 and its naval missions, taking what WindWaker had done with the open world and littering it with little hubs and missions across open waters.

To quote myself, lol.

depends how they do it, throwing it out that, I would be totally fine if they went all Windwaker and gave us a large open ocean map with islands that were totally open for exploration on foot, it would allow for the traversal seen in the frontier while still giving us a couple of small towns and say a large city.

Though at this point AC is starting to become a totally different franchise than the first couple were.

So I'm onboard, lol, but like I said in the previous topic I hope it doesn't end up with AC3 that felt like it didn't take on any of the advances from Brotherhood/Revelations which left us with shitty UI's and menu navigation.

Working on it since 2011. Hearing this gives me no encouragement, when we heard the exact same thing about AC3 and it turned out buggy, bloated and unfocused.

If only they actually stopped for a while after each game to evaluate what went wrong and what people enjoyed about each game, to know exactly how to improve the next one...

Alas. Annualisation.

Mogwai

No Connor, no Desmond, more varied locations, free roam sea and exploration without loading and a more charismatic main character.

It definitely has massive potential, but will the new Anvil(Bug)Engine work?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
- No Desmond Miles. You control an employee of Abstergo Entertainment, a subsidary of Aspergo. They're researching the life of Edward Kenway to make...a video game.
- Open world ship exploration. Metroidvania style world design that requires ship upgrades to better access certain areas.
- Calling it "true open world" and "systemic gameplay". Don't want players to be burdened with loading screens and an abundance of cutscenes as they explore the world.
- Blackbeard, Charles Vane, Calico Jack, Anne Bonny, and Ben Hornigold make an appearance.
- Bartholomew Roberts' assualt on 42 Portuguese ships, and the Spanish Armada wreck, to be shown.
- Random events in the game world. Example: accidentally stumbling upon an giant enemy ship, then luring that ship into a tropical storm. Boarding the weakened ship to conquer.
- Whale hunting
- Cuba, Nassau, tip of Florida, and The Bahamas. Jungles, temples, villaiges, Mayan ruins, underwater shipwrecks, etc.

No Connor, no Desmond, more varied locations, free roam sea and exploration without loading and a more charismatic main character.

It definitely has massive potential, but will the new Anvil(Bug)Engine work?

That's what bugs me. Everything about it sounds like an exciting new open world pirate IP, but instead, it's all of those ideas wearing an ill-fitting Assassin's Creed outfit.

Alpende

- Whale hunting

Sounds good. But I'll try not to board the hype train, not yet.

Mael

Anvil next is probably patched so most of the bugs seen will not be in....or we'll so other bugs...Anyway this game look like good stuffs.
Hope that the WiiU version keep the offscreen tv option.

adamsapple

Fucking seriously ?

Not only is that video game part .. DUMB.. they're just going to leave the ridiculous ending of the third game as it is ? worst ending to a fucking trilogy EVER.

The rest, open ended game play, fresh characters, and the promise a protagonist as charming as Ezio is really good to read.

I'm all for it, as long as they get rid of all the redudant crap from AC3 and do some actual polishing on their game before shipping it.

Fucking seriously ?

Not only is that video game part .. DUMB.. they're just going to leave the ridiculous ending of the third game as it is ? worst ending to a fucking trilogy EVER.

The rest, open ended game play, fresh characters, and the promise a protagonist as charming as Ezio is really good to read.

Wasn't Liberation's story based around the same concept?

Oh, and Mass Effect would like to have a word with you.

edgefusion

It sounds freaking awesome from the bullet points. The 'real-world' stuff sounds a bit iffy but I love the idea of a huge open world with land and sea. The naval missions from 3 were by far the best bits.

Darklord

Banned

Still better than the "all story".

UrbanRats

Read the Eurogamer preview.
Yep, sounds very good, but it's like they really don't want to bother with the Assassins vs Templars thing anymore.
"Oh yeah he's still an Assassin, but doesn't really care and does his own stuff" (not an actual quote).

rataven

Really liking what I've read so far. This sounds like the next jump for the series that we all expected with III (and didn't get).

Mogwai

Anvil next is probably patched so most of the bugs seen will not be in....or we'll so other bugs...Anyway this game look like good stuffs.
Hope that the WiiU version keep the offscreen tv option.

That's what I'm hoping as well. AnvilNext really wasn't ready when AC3 shipped.

And now I'm thinking about it. I hope Ubisoft includes more than a single children laugh this time. Each time you passed groups of children in AC3, they cried out this manical laughter. So annoying.

Caboose

They're not even trying anymore.

AHA-Lambda

Fucking seriously ?

I couldn't agree more.

Ps: I'm assuming Aspergo is a typo? :/

JoeM86

Fucking seriously ?

From Eurogamer, the Abstergo part seems to be for the multiplayer's narrative

Kurtofan

Fucking seriously ?

The animus part was shit from episode 2 on.

8 studios working on ACIV

Black Flag began development in summer 2011, Ubisoft told Eurogamer, while the company was still busy applying the finishing touches to Assassin's Creed: Revelations.

Since then, Ubisoft Montreal, Singapore, Sofia, Annecy, Kiev, Quebec, Bucharest and Montpelier have been working on the project, while others were kept busy with last year's Assassin's Creed 3.

PS4 version

Black Flag will be the first Assassin's Creed game developed for the next generation of consoles, although Ubisoft was coy on what to expect.

"Visuals enhancements are the most obvious difference. We'll also be supporting the new PlayStation 4 controller," Myhill teased, hinting at a controller-specific feature.

"We're going to be revealing all the details of that [in the future]. "The feature is built for the PlayStation 4 controller, but we're also looking at other controllers too."

At an event in London last week, Ubisoft showed gameplay footage that looked current-gen in terms of graphics.

"It's very early in development so that is the state of the game," Myhill explained. "It's not console-specific at this time. We're building on PC right now, but we do have it running on all platforms."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-04-eight-studios-working-on-assassins-creed-4-black-flag

Just read that it's been in development since Summer 2011, which means at one point Ubisoft had three AC games in one stage or another of development...

Edit: Not including Liberation.

- Whale hunting

Non-bolded intrigue me, especially the open ended assassinations and scaling back on cutscene use.

The bold though, I do not think it means what Ubisoft thinks it means. When I hear a game wanting to give the "HBO treatment to pirates" all I can see is nudity. Nudity and sex everywhere. Cause y'know, HBO's ADULT and GRITTY and NAKED

Wow, some of you are slow.

Abstergo isn't actually going to be researching whatever Kenway did to make a video game, that's just what they're going to be telling the poor sap who happened to have the right heritage to be able to see his memories.

Obviously they're not going to be giving away the plot reveal of what the Templars are actually after months before the game comes out.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Eight teams developing this game, but which teams? Montreal seems a bit busy...

Axspell

Neo Member
Still stunned by Ubisoft's ability to micromanage this many teams on one project.

Also, this sounds like the most conceptually interesting AC in a long time. Too bad at this point these aren't AC games anymore.

UrbanRats

Fucking seriously ?

Ssshht, hopefully they'll phase the modern stuff out and never show or speak about it ever again.
All i care about is the historic side of it, they could make it an "Abstergo's History Channel" thing, for all i care.

Non-bolded intrigue me, especially the open ended assassinations and scaling back on cutscene use.

The bold though, I do not think it means what Ubisoft thinks it means. When I hear a game wanting to give the "HBO treatment to pirates" all I can see is nudity. Nudity and sex everywhere. Cause y'know, HBO's ADULT and GRITTY and NAKED
That's what it'll mean.
Given Far Cry 3, it'll mean a lot of tits and blood.

Not that it's a problem for me, just saying do not expect some quality HBO writing or anything.

Cyberia

Eight studios are working on Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag, publisher Ubisoft has announced.

It's no surprise. The open-world Caribbean adventure is massive: 50 locations big including three sprawling cities, and a huge area of ocean to explore.

Black Flag began development in summer 2011, Ubisoft told Eurogamer, while the company was still busy applying the finishing touches to Assassin's Creed: Revelations.

Since then, Ubisoft Montreal, Singapore, Sofia, Annecy, Kiev, Quebec, Bucharest and Montpelier have been working on the project, while others were kept busy with last year's Assassin's Creed 3.

Kiev and Montpelier weren't included in the role call of developers that Ubisoft listed in its AC4 press release this morning, but were clearly listed on-screen at the reveal event that we attended.

"We've been in development since summer 2011," Ubisoft's Carsten Myhill, lead game content manager told Eurogamer. "We've had two teams working in parallel - there's been some overlapping and when it gets to the end of a game it's all hands on deck to get it finished."

Would this pattern continue in the future, with another team now at work on the next game, following the launch of AC3 last November? Ubisoft wouldn't tell.

Black Flag will be the first Assassin's Creed game developed for the next generation of consoles, although Ubisoft was coy on what to expect.

"Visuals enhancements are the most obvious difference. We'll also be supporting the new PlayStation 4 controller," Myhill teased, hinting at a controller-specific feature.

"We're going to be revealing all the details of that [in the future]. "The feature is built for the PlayStation 4 controller, but we're also looking at other controllers too."

At an event in London last week, Ubisoft showed gameplay footage that looked current-gen in terms of graphics.

"It's very early in development so that is the state of the game," Myhill explained. "It's not console-specific at this time. We're building on PC right now, but we do have it running on all platforms."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-04-eight-studios-working-on-assassins-creed-4-black-flag

Top Bottom