• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed: Odyssey Review Scores

Humdinger

Getting some very solid reviews. Currently sitting at 86 on Metacritic (was 85 before, so it might drop back there again), based on 54 reviews.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/assassins-creed-odyssey

I'm not going to do the comprehensive review coverage others do with their threads. I just want to make people aware of the good reviews and provide a place for discussion.

Here are a few excerpts that caught my eye:

"A glorious sum of newly implemented RPG systems, refined traditional series beats and boasting one of the most entertaining stories in recent memory, Assassin's Creed Odyssey is simply the best in the series and one of the finest open-world adventures available." - PSU (95)

"While there are definite rough edges, Odyssey sets a new bar for Assassin’s Creed games and holds its own in the eternal debate over the best open-world roleplaying games ever." - IGN (92)

"Assassin’s Creed Odyssey aims high in its attempts to blend innovative additions with returning features. The execution might be uneven, but Ubisoft Quebec ultimately strikes a successful balance among the many parts. The story is compelling, both as a hero’s journey and in the way it ties into the series’ wider lore. Exploring the world is fun, combat is empowering, and getting epic loot is a thrill. That solid core formula carries Odyssey a long way, but like Icarus and his wax wings, it’s not enough to reach the bright star on the horizon." (Game Informer, 83)

"Assassin's Creed Odyssey is far from perfect, as the combat feels clunky, the voice acting is all over the place and the late game level requirements feels really restricting, but despite all that it's hard not to adore the overall experience. The scope and feel of the world are simply amazing – the depiction of Greece is extremely beautiful – and thanks to the stellar exploration mode and the varied array of activities, it's also way more fun to explore than before." (Gamer.no, 80)

More at the metacritic link, of course.

Tygeezy

The best part is being able to turn off the hand holding blinking map icons to instead figure it all out yourself. You legitimately need to explore and figure some thing out on your own.

crobb991

Banned
this is on my birthday list along with RDR2... safe to say im gonna have busy week off lol... other than toddler duties of course

partime

The best part is being able to turn off the hand holding blinking map icons to instead figure it all out yourself. You legitimately need to explore and figure some thing out on your own.

Honestly I'm just so used to being hand-held, did it all the time in Witcher 3 and the slightest part where it wouldn't I freaked out.

So what, should we start taking notes now?

Thiagosc777

Are there still hundreds of collectibles like this ? Do they give people NPC interactions to learn about new places or is it just wandering aimlessly to find them?

base

Banned
It was already available in Origins AFAIK.

Stuart360

Just been watching a stream of this and it looks exactly like Origins. I dont really have a problem with that as i love Origins, but holy AAA asset flip Batman!

Last edited:

Tygeezy

Honestly I'm just so used to being hand-held, did it all the time in Witcher 3 and the slightest part where it wouldn't I freaked out.

So what, should we start taking notes now?
It's optional, so if you prefer the hand holding that's cool and they have you covered.

Stuart360

Its not really hand holding. Can you imagine if something like Skyrim had no markers and you had a quest were it said to go to 'X cave', you could literally spend days looking for it.
We never used to have open world games with this complexity and size in the old days.

Tygeezy

Its not really hand holding. Can you imagine if something like Skyrim had no markers and you had a quest were it said to go to 'X cave', you could literally spend days looking for it.
We never used to have open world games with this complexity and size in the old days.
That's how Morrowind was though.

Stuart360

That's how Morrowind was though.
But Morrowind had basic graphics and a very basic open world. In todays games, it can be hard finding something thats 20 feet in front of you due to the complicated level design and trees and bushes and all that stuff. Plus gsmes today have FAR more content than past games, no need for extending the life of games anymore by giving us no quest markers, or super hard difficulty etc.

Isa

Gold Member
Nice to see its turning out well enough with people. ACG has a pretty good review, I'm surprised at the length of the game. I mean I'm like 60 hrs into DQ XI and this is ready to go and I'm hoping to beat it before RDR2 comes out, but I'm not so sure haha. I like to do side content and it seems this actually has more than Origins so that's a relief for me. Man so many good games out right now, I also want to go through VC4, play some Warriors Orochi 4, and replay The Evil Within 2. Then friends will want to squad up in Blackout...

I'm looking forward to a better story in this than Origins too, and ACG said the ending was good so there's that.

Tygeezy

But Morrowind had basic graphics and a very basic open world. In todays games, it can be hard finding something thats 20 feet in front of you due to the complicated level design and trees and bushes and all that stuff. Plus gsmes today have FAR more content than past games, no need for extending the life of games anymore by giving us no quest markers, or super hard difficulty etc.
I think that's a bit of a disservice to say that morrowind was basic. It's quite big and had a a ton of content.

Humdinger

I'm surprised by the review scores. Origins, by comparison, was 81, so this is scoring higher, which is the opposite of what I expected. I figured the fact that it shares a lot in common with Origins would give reviewers a "ho hum, been there, done that" feeling, but apparently the additions to the game (RPG mechanics, dialog choices, explorer mode) make a positive difference.

I'm impressed that they were able to pull it off. I remember some people saying Ubi shouldn't venture into this territory (RPGs) because they had no experience. Seems like they did well.

I'm currently running through Far Cry: Primal, so I'll probably take a break from Ubisoft games before tackling this one, but it looks like it'll be a good experience, once I get around to it.

I think that's a bit of a disservice to say that morrowind was basic. It's quite big and had a a ton of content.

Agree. Morrowind was very complex. Great game. The addition of "explorer" mode here is one of the things that's selling me on the game, because it reminds me of how immersive that experience was. It's an entirely different feeling, exploring and discovering a location, vs. having your nose pointed to exactly where you should go.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Do they give people NPC interactions to learn about new places or is it just wandering aimlessly to find them?

I've heard that they give you indications of the general location in dialog. Then as you approach the area, you can use your eagle sight to pinpoint the specific person or location. It shouldn't be all that hard.

I'm sure it'll be simpler than some of the directions you got in Morrowind. Some of those were like, "Find two big rocks shaped like an L, south of the mountain in region X, then find Rirrzh in a cave to the northeast."

It was already available in Origins AFAIK.

Was it? I thought it was a new addition. That's how they've talked about it, anyhow.

I really liked Origins but I've pre ordered RD2 and Forza Horizon 4 comes out tomorrow. Not sure I can find 100 hours on top of playing both of those.

Maybe I'll pick it up later on.

iorek21

Assassin's Creed is turning into the unexpected series

They make a next gen with lots of potential in the French Revolution = they fail terribly

They make a Pirate game or a Full RPG game = one of the best in the series

AC will get its GOTY when they release a full AC racing game

Kathanan

I've heard that they give you indications of the general location in dialog. Then as you approach the area, you can use your eagle sight to pinpoint the specific person or location. It shouldn't be all that hard.

I'm sure it'll be simpler than some of the directions you got in Morrowind. Some of those were like, "Find two big rocks shaped like an L, south of the mountain in region X, then find Rirrzh in a cave to the northeast."

Was it? I thought it was a new addition. That's how they've talked about it, anyhow.

i think he means the exploration mode where you can run around with no enemies and just look at the vistas.. this is not the same

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I'm happy to see it's reviewing well. Loved Origins and this is the only game besides SotTR I'm interested in this holiday season.

CatCouch

I'm very happy to see this reviewing so well! The negatives being pointed out are things I'm okay with since I spend most my time with lengthy RPG's anyway. Definitely hyped to play~

joe_zazen

I'm surprised by the review scores. Origins, by comparison, was 81, so this is scoring higher, which is the opposite of what I expected. I figured the fact that it shares a lot in common with Origins would give reviewers a "ho hum, been there, done that" feeling, but apparently the additions to the game (RPG mechanics, dialog choices, explorer mode) make a positive difference.

I'm impressed that they were able to pull it off. I remember some people saying Ubi shouldn't venture into this territory (RPGs) because they had no experience. Seems like they did well.

I'm currently running through Far Cry: Primal, so I'll probably take a break from Ubisoft games before tackling this one, but it looks like it'll be a good experience, once I get around to it.

Agree. Morrowind was very complex. Great game. The addition of "explorer" mode here is one of the things that's selling me on the game, because it reminds me of how immersive that experience was. It's an entirely different feeling, exploring and discovering a location, vs. having your nose pointed to exactly where you should go.

You mean they pulled off making a game that critics like?

86 tells me very little about how much I’d enjoy this game. I wish MC average did, it’d make things easier.

Humdinger

You mean they pulled off making a game that critics like?

No, I mean that I'm impressed they were able to create a game that is being received so well, despite venturing into new territory.

And yes, of course the opinion is coming from game reviewers. That's how game reviews work. That's the topic of the thread.
86 tells me very little about how much I’d enjoy this game.
I don't think anyone suggested that a metacritic score of 86 predicts that you personally will enjoy this game. That would be stupid. Obviously, that's a matter of personal taste, mood, etc.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Origins was my GOTY last year and this looks even better, refined. Can’t wait!

Muffdraul

The key question is whether they did a good job designing the game to be played without quest markers. I'm hoping they did, because I'm going to give it a go.

Last year, one of my favorite experiences in Breath of the Wild was when the Old Man sends you on your way to finally leave the Great Plateau, he gives you directions to find Impa in Kakariko. He's really explicit. "Go west through that split mountain in the distance, then you'll come to a little settlement with horses. Then go north until you reach a cliff, follow the cliff west until you can go north again and go north." I followed his directions and sure enough reached Kakariko with no trouble.

I was pretty disappointed when I eventually realized that the only reason I didn't have a quest marker telling me exactly where to go was because I must have accidentally turned it off in the menu early on. I mean it's cool that BotW basically just turns you loose to find your own way, but I'm talking about actually having to follow the realistic navigation directions given to you by an NPC, looking for specific landmarks and shit. I love that, it's been a lost art for a very, very long time. Too long.

Last edited:

Humdinger

The key question is whether they did a good job designing the game to be played without quest markers. I'm hoping they did, because I'm going to give it a go.

Last year, one of my favorite experiences in Breath of the Wild was when the Old Man sends you on your way to finally leave the Great Plateau, he gives you directions to find Impa in Kakariko. He's really explicit. "Go west through that split mountain in the distance, then you'll come to a little settlement with horses. Then go north until you reach a cliff, follow the cliff west until you can go north again and go north." I followed his directions and sure enough reached Kakariko with no trouble.

I was pretty disappointed when I eventually realized that the only reason I didn't have a quest marker telling me exactly where to go was because I must have accidentally turned it off in the menu early on. I mean it's cool that BotW basically just turns you loose to find your own way, but I'm talking about actually having to follow the realistic navigation directions given to you by an NPC, looking for specific landmarks and shit. I love that, it's been a lost art for a very, very long time. Too long.

I'll be looking forward to hearing impressions on that, too. I don't think the "explorer mode" will be as involved as you're hoping for -- with directions as complex as the ones you're describing. I think that would be too much work for the quest designers, to ensure that every quest was navigable by those sorts of directions, given via dialog.

That's one reason that developers haven't done this in 20 years -- it's a lot of work. It's not just that gamers are stupid and spoiled by handholding. It's that designing quests where an arrow points to the objective is a lot easier and simpler than describing locations via dialog and having a way to record and access those instructions in-game. It's more work that way -- which is one reason I'm impressed that they went to the trouble.

I'm guessing that it'll be a relatively limited "explorer mode" where you'll get a couple bits of information from the quest-giver about the person and general location, which will give you enough of a sense of at least what city or area to look in. Then, when you get close enough, you pull out your eagle, and you scan for the person you're looking for.

That's just my guess, though. Should be interesting to see.

I also hope they give you plenty of options to turn on and off parts of the HUD. I love that about modern games. It makes it so much more immersive, to turn most of those HUD elements off.

Last edited:

Neolombax

I liked Origins, but by the end of it I was super burnt out by the game. Odyssey looks great, and the changes to combat sound interesting, but I'm just afraid that I'll get bored even quicker. Positives reviews and impressions all around, maybe I should get this at a later date along with all the other DLC's.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I’m excited for this one. I found the Egypt setting i the previous the most boring setting possible, this one sounds incredible though.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Really wanted to play as Alexios but is it true that he's just an afterthought in this game?

That Cassandra is the actual canon characters and they mocaped everything on her

So then what's the point in using him and having the options anyway

Last edited:

ickythingz

Banned
This is what I am happy for. So sick of games being designed for kindergartners.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Origins was great, I'll pick this up for $30 in Nov.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
No, I mean that I'm impressed they were able to create a game that is being received so well, despite venturing into new territory.
By new territory do you mean pallette swap of Egypt? Or is it the fact that you can play as a women which is a straight swap for the male character?

Last edited:

The Strifer

Neo Member
I haven't played an Assassin's Creed since Black Flag and even then, I didn't play it very much. The last one I played a lot of was AC3. I'm interested in getting this but I'm honestly not sure what these games are like now, story and gameplay wise I mean. The reviews for Origins and this one are looking good though!

Last edited:

Philtastic

Really wanted to play as Alexios but is it true that he's just an afterthought in this game?

That Cassandra is the actual canon characters and they mocaped everything on her

So then what's the point in using him and having the options anyway
Both characters were individually mocaped, and you can see the differences in their performances in the game. Because of this, many reviewers and early players preferred Kassandra as her voice acting and motions more consistently felt right for the scenes. Having said that, Alexios is apparently quite good as well, so you can't go wrong with who you pick.

Humdinger

By new territory do you mean pallette swap of Egypt?

No, I meant making it into a full-scale RPG. "New territory" in the figurative not literal sense.

Is it actually a palette swap of Origins, geographically? I hadn't heard that before.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

No, I meant making it into a full-scale RPG. "New territory" in the figurative not literal sense.

Is it actually a palette swap of Origins, geographically? I hadn't heard that before.
Maybe not geographically, but a lot of the assets, especially buildings look identical.

Stuart360

Dude come on, its practically a AAA asset flip. I mean Origins IMO is one of the best looking open world games yet, so its not like its a 'bad' thing, but it looks the same game.

Humdinger

Maybe not geographically, but a lot of the assets, especially buildings look identical.

I see. So plenty of re-used assets, such as buildings, but not a geographic palette swap. I didn't think the latter could be the case anyhow. Wouldn't make sense.

I didn't play AC: Origins, so I'm not bothered by re-used assets, personally. They'll be new to me.

Hendrick's

I see. So plenty of re-used assets, such as buildings, but not a geographic palette swap. I didn't think the latter could be the case anyhow. Wouldn't make sense.

I didn't play AC: Origins, so I'm not bothered by re-used assets, personally. They'll be new to me.
Yeah, if you didn't play Origins you wouldn't notice, except maybe that much of the architecture doesn't really look Greek.

dottme

As someone who have played Origin, after watching few videos I'm probably waiting for a lower price. It looks like it has improved but a lot feels like Origin.

Nydus

Gold Member
SkillUp didn't like origins and has warmed up to Odyssey. So as someone who loves origins I can't wait to play it today after work!!!

-MD-

I haven't touched this series since 2, for those that have read reviews is this more of the same or will it feel relatively fresh to me having been out so long?

Top Bottom