• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed: Odyssey Review Scores

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
What the fuck? Those better not be major spoilers, because they seriously seem like it.

That's a pretty fucking cunty thing to do in a review thread.

Last edited:

SonGoku

many reviewers and early players preferred Kassandra as her voice acting and motions more consistently felt right for the scenes. Having said that, Alexios is apparently quite good as well, so you can't go wrong with who you pick.
2671e0601faf3b43874e061ff665e3e2.png

blackjon24

Assassins creed’s fans but be the happiest gamers in the world.. It feels like a new release is always around the corner, no series I care about comes out with a new release that frequently :( lol

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
many reviewers and early players preferred Kassandra as her voice acting and motions more consistently felt right for the scenes. Having said that, Alexios is apparently quite good as well
I originally started with both Characters to see the difference and I'm leaning with Alexios for the reason I stated before eventho I maybe wrong.
But Alexios is funnier and fits the dialogue with the personality he displays.
Kassandra seems more stiff and serious.
And her movements come off manly which is obviously not a problem with Alexios.
And he definitely displays more expressions.
I don't know if it was intentional but he just more enjoyable in cutscenes.
Kassandra was my first choice though as I preferred Evie in Syndicate too but I like Alexios better this time.

Codes 208

Assassins creed’s fans but be the happiest gamers in the world.. It feels like a new release is always around the corner, no series I care about comes out with a new release that frequently :( lol
Cod? Sports games? Pokemon? Anything with the name mario in it?

AC is certainly not the only nearly-annual franchise

Zewp

Not for much longer, hopefully. Ubisoft said they're stopping with the annual AC releases. The only reason Odyssey came out a year after Origins is because they were both developed by different teams and the Odyssey team just happened to be ready to release this year.

Then again, I would also not be surprised if Ubisoft came out in 2019 and went "lol, coincidentally another team is ready to release their AC".

to those that have this game, does it feel different enough from Origins outside of theme and story to justify the purchase? Or is this a reskinned ORgins?

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
to those that have this game, does it feel different enough from Origins outside of theme and story to justify the purchase? Or is this a reskinned ORgins?
In terms of combat it's similar to Origins, but it has more of a focus on armor sets and dialog choices.

dirthead

Banned
Given what pushovers video game sites are, how corrupt and susceptible to threats and bribery they are, pretty much any big game that's not scoring in the 90s is probably a dud.

Darak

There are lots of additions (a mercenary system, exploration mode, dialogue choices, open sea/naval map, a different parry system, different skills and moves, etc) but at the end of the day the core gameplay is the same. I wouldn't say it's a reskin, but if you dislike Origins or found it boring after a while, you'll probably feel the same about this one.

I have mixed feelings about the gameplay. The combat has seen some improvements, but it still bothers me. You need to press both shoulder buttons to parry, which doesn't work as well as a single button. Dodging and parrying are just not 100% reliable, animations and hitboxes are weird (some animals in particular have really bad attack animations and damage feedback), and the whole thing doesn't react very well to the surrounding geometry. Playing in nightmare mode, many of my deaths didn't really like they were my fault. Stealth works fine as usual, but the AI is extremely idiotic: you can just run away for a little bit and after the nearest corner they will lose track of you immediately, it's extremely easy to exploit it.

After playing for quite a bit (I'm about level 25) I'm really enjoying the story so far. Much better than Origins, in my opinion. I wouldn't say it reaches something like Witcher 3 quality, but writing is decent, and some of the dialogue choices are surprisingly interesting, and have consequences, to the point were you will have doubts if some NPC death can be avoided depending your past choices (including some fairly important NPCs). It has some of the classic Bioware faults (the thing you choose is only loosely related to the thing your character will say, the tone of your response is unclear, many times the dialogue tree is too obvious, etc) but it is a surprisingly good result considering the scope of the game.

If you enjoy following ACs narrative I'd recommend playing it even if the gameplay doesn't do much for you.

DavidGzz

I like it a lot more. It has a more interesting world, better loot, better combat because I enjoy the skills a lot more and I like Kassandra more than Bayek. I loved Spiderman but this is even better as far as favorite game of the last few months.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It's pretty close to a reskin of Origins with some different move sets. In some ways better and in some ways (so far, but I will have a lot left to unlock) it's worse.
If you didn't like Origins you are unlikely to like this one.

That's unsurprising given that there was only a year between the two games.

So far I am enjoying it, although I am disappointed that they are going backwards in time when I would have preferred they make a direct sequel to Origins set after the assassination of Caesar in Rome.

I just started playing it and I'm enjoying it right out of the gate. There's definitely some similarities to Origins, but I actually like the Greek setting better. Don't get me wrong, Egypt is pretty cool, but Greece is snazzy so far.

Obviously looks very good on the X1X. The combat is reasonable enough, definitely reminds me of Witcher 3. Actually, this game reminds me more of Witcher 3 than Origins did.

I'm playing with Exploration mode and it's quite nice. There's still markers/ ? marks, but it definitely feels better to play it like that. You can unlock a Revelation skill in the Assassin tree that is like the Witcher senses so with Exploration Mode+Revelation skill it's very similar to the Witcher 3.

I'm going the Stealth route, there's actually some good skills in that tree. Each seems pretty solid though.

Plus, can't beat the '300' opener playing as Leonidas. There's the Spartan Kick as a skill too

Last edited:

Daymos

It almost seems like you could accurately predict the scores on these kinds of games. Like I could of told you last fall that this years Assassin's creed would get about an 8.7 on average. Well just the same as rdr2 and the last of us 2 will get about a 9.5 average or mario party will get a 7.5.. etc, etc.

So far i think i like origins better. I enjoyed Bayek as a protagonist and i was on board on his quest for vengeance.

Last edited:

Thiagosc777

EARLY IMPRESSIONS

It is exactly what I expected, a Origins reskin.

- The exploration mode is farce. I thought you'd have to find places by yourself, but there are still plenty of icons on the map. The "exploration" refers only tips the game gives you about where the mission locations are, but they are super easy to find;
- It is trying too hard to be The Witcher 3 (especially because of the soundtrack and even the mission completion jingle) and failing miserably at it. The Witcher 3 had great characters and story. Alexios is a traditional bland videogame protagonist with no desires of his own and who is ordered around by others;
- The dialog options are laughable and pointless. They add nothing and can be jarring. Sometimes your character is talking in a way and then in the next he is angry. It is pointless because all you do is to exhaust all the options before moving on. There's no indication of the "tone" you are going to use (joke, serious, angry);
- The romance options are so bad they are kind of funny. It seems more like a checkbox they wanted to check, than a natural consequence of people being attracted to each other. If you want to include romance in your game, you need to build up the relationship first in order to make it believable;
- The story is crap so far:

- Apparently your character just do what he is told, in a videogamey way. "Hey, stranger I never met before, why don't you go to the that dangerous place kill some people for me?" The only rational response would be "Why?", but instead he just accepts it and goes on his mission to kill a general;
- He is a mercenery, so there's no reason for him to help anyone but himself, it'd be a good opportunity to play both sides of a war and manipulate people as a game mechanic. Instead he is just doing what he is told by the Spartans;

It is a 7/10 so far for me. I am like 4 hours in.

In a way it reminds of Dragon Age Inquisition, a game that wasn't bad, but it was so bland and by the numbers.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So far, its decent but not as good or memorable as Origins. Combat can be annoying and frustrating, especially when it comes to battle sequences. Too many enemies and trying to balance between parrying and special moves gets old.

And fuck the new goddamn save system. Dying takes me so far back.

Armorian

Banned
So far, its decent but not as good or memorable as Origins. Combat can be annoying and frustrating, especially when it comes to battle sequences. Too many enemies and trying to balance between parrying and special moves gets old.

And fuck the new goddamn save system. Dying takes me so far back.

Save system is awesome, first AC with manual saves - I save quite often and loading is few secons on PC (SSD).

Last edited:

Sygma

I've been playing the first few hours. It looks good and plays exactly as Origins so far, including even minor details like the hilariously bad horse pathfinding running over everybody in cities. I enjoyed Origins, so it's good enough for me. The new additions are nothing to write home about, though. For example, the gender choice is just a palette swap (every dialogue so far has been gender-agnostic) and exploration mode is somewhat disappointing (you still get quest markers and on-screen Ubisoft icons for everything, except sometimes you'll get map directions and need to get closer to the designated area before the quest marker appears).

Compared to Origins, I could see this getting slightly better scores from professional reviewers (it's bigger, a bit more polished, has more bullet-point features) and a bit lower user scores, as people will get franchise fatigue and the new things don't do much.

i dont understand any of your post since you can turn absolutely everything off to your liking in the options

also the new things c
I originally started with both Characters to see the difference and I'm leaning with Alexios for the reason I stated before eventho I maybe wrong.
But Alexios is funnier and fits the dialogue with the personality he displays.
Kassandra seems more stiff and serious.
And her movements come off manly which is obviously not a problem with Alexios.
And he definitely displays more expressions.
I don't know if it was intentional but he just more enjoyable in cutscenes.
Kassandra was my first choice though as I preferred Evie in Syndicate too but I like Alexios better this time.

Yeah seriously Kassandra is effing boring in her delivery. Alexios is downright hilarious because the voice actor has a surprising amount of range which makes the character feels much more alive

I did the prologue twice with each character to compare and every single moment when I laughed heavily as Alexios was just "heh whatever" as Kassandra. Really can't understand reviewers on that one, its like they never really went to greece / spain / italy and encountered dudes like Alexios

Sygma

EARLY IMPRESSIONS

It is exactly what I expected, a Origins reskin.

- The exploration mode is farce. I thought you'd have to find places by yourself, but there are still plenty of icons on the map. The "exploration" refers only tips the game gives you about where the mission locations are, but they are super easy to find;

You're the farce. You can turn everything off in the options - HUD, its how its kinda meant to be played

- It is trying too hard to be The Witcher 3 (especially because of the soundtrack and even the mission completion jingle) and failing miserably at it. The Witcher 3 had great characters and story. Alexios is a traditional bland videogame protagonist with no desires of his own and who is ordered around by others

Witcher 3 was hot trash until blood and wine, and it didn't have any strong character outside the bloody baron and yennefer. If anything unlike Geralt, you can be a 100% selfish prick in Odyssey, screwing up every single person giving you a side quest. its kind of the point of the rpg system in odyssey in the first place. Either playing like the book or not at all

- The dialog options are laughable and pointless. They add nothing and can be jarring. Sometimes your character is talking in a way and then in the next he is angry. It is pointless because all you do is to exhaust all the options before moving on. There's no indication of the "tone" you are going to use (joke, serious, angry);

You're clearly not playing the game because the dialog options can change ENTIRELY the outcomes of quests / sidequests, and in turn it completely changes outcomes in the game world. For example you can have 3 different endings to a minor quest in the prologue island and what happens after can snowball to the worse possible outcome

It is a 7/10 so far for me. I am like 4 hours in.

I take it you haven't even unlocked the faction system yet nor met the wolf of sparta, thats when the game kicks in full gear

Last edited:

Thiagosc777

You're the farce. You can turn everything off in the options - HUD, its how its kinda meant to be played

Then there must be a bug with the game, because I selected "Exploration mode" upon start and it is still showing all the icons on the map.

Witcher 3 was hot trash until blood and wine, and it didn't have any strong character outside the bloody baron and yennefer. If anything unlike Geralt, you can be a 100% selfish prick in Odyssey, screwing up every single person giving you a side quest. its kind of the point of the rpg system in odyssey in the first place. Either playing like the book or not at all

Hahaha.

You're clearly not playing the game because the dialog options can change ENTIRELY the outcomes of quests / sidequests, and in turn it completely changes outcomes in the game world. For example you can have 3 different endings to a minor quest in the prologue island and what happens after can snowball to the worse possible outcome

Hahaha. Yes, so far you can choose not doing the mission or doing mission. With some cringy "romance options" sometimes.

I take it you haven't even unlocked the faction system yet nor met the wolf of sparta, thats when the game kicks in full gear

I haven't. How many hours does it take for the game to get good? Because so far it has been "Generic action RPG: The game". Xbox says I played for 8 hours. Jesus, it was underwhelming.

It feels even less like an Assassin's Creed game than Origins.

Dante83

Banned
People can say that it is an origins reskin, but it feels different enough. The atmosphere in ancient greece feels very different from ancient egypt. This is how I want assassins creed games to be instead of another city style environment with tons of buildings. I like the more natural environments setting with small islands and sea, more mythical bosses/lore and good story. It's a beautiful game.

Last edited:

Thiagosc777

The AI in this game is awful. The problem is, it doesn't behave logically and it feels like a videogame from the 80s. Let me explain:

You are followed around by mercenaries all the time. They are usually patrolling areas looking for you. BUT they have a magnetic attraction to you. They can "sense" where you are and always end up going in your direction. This is particularly bad when you are trying to sneak around. So basically the AI is cheating.

They are like the Phylakes in Origins, only they seem to be in a much greater number here.

It's really immersion breaking. So far, they have been the worst part of the game for me.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
People can say that it is an origins reskin, but it feels different enough. The atmosphere in ancient greece feels very different from ancient egypt. This is how I want assassins creed games to be instead of another city style environment with tons of buildings. I like the more natural environments setting with small islands and sea, more mythical bosses/lore and good story. It's a beautiful game.

I am of the opposite mind. I would rather have an intricately made city that is as close to historically accurate as possible to explore. I would like to feel like a true assassin again. While I do enjoy Odyssey, there are a lot of nagging issues that are just building up - one of the biggest being the disconnect of size. The landmasses are "large", but ultimately empty with small settlements that rarely make up more than an outpost in the early games. They just don't feel like cities which ultimately make the world feel less believeable. When I see Athens, I want to see something that looks and feels like Athens should in terms of its size and scope.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I haven't played an AC game since AC2. I am 5 hours into this and don't really enjoy it much.

-The gameplay seems to consist of - talk to NPC, run across the area, take out as much of an enemy camp with stealth as possible, kill the last few guys if spotted, run back and collect reward. Repeat over and over.
-Combat feels janky. Boat combat sucks.
-Enemy AI is really dumb.
-The map seems to be super massive, but I haven't found many interesting things on it yet.

The world is very pretty though. The story is nothing special yet, but could have potential.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So far Origins blows Odyssey away. Origins felt like I was part of a real world and the locations were distinct and unique. Alexandria, Cyrene, Memphis and Siwa all felt unique, while most locations in Odyssey all look alike.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
For those comparing this game (just another decent AC title) with The Witcher 3, inarguably one of the best games released in the last 10 years are out of your fucking mind. If you truly believe these games are of similar quality, I feel deeply sorry for you.

Sygma

For those comparing this game (just another decent AC title) with The Witcher 3, inarguably one of the best games released in the last 10 years are out of your fucking mind. If you truly believe these games are of similar quality, I feel deeply sorry for you.

Witcher 1 is still the better role play experience and it kinda blows that people are praising W3 that much. Blood & Wine however was the best thing that could happen.

Odyssey is straight up giving more options than W3 in quests, while story telling was better in Witcher.

I mean its to the point that you literally have the option to completely rig a political election and see what happens after, in one of the biggest islands of the game. Or don't at all and leave everyone hanging

Then there must be a bug with the game, because I selected "Exploration mode" upon start and it is still showing all the icons on the map.

Options. Hud. Personalize it ... You have complete freedom of choice in the game even for that, when you remove all the markers + objectives / location objectives it suddenly isn't playing the same at all

Hahaha. Yes, so far you can choose not doing the mission or doing mission. With some cringy "romance options" sometimes.

Yeah sorry you're not experimenting with the game and it shows. If you play like a bland good guy, don't expect getting much more

In the quest I'm talking about you decide or not to save people in the prologue island, and depending of the dialogue option you'll choose afterward with the person who gave you the quest to begin with, stuff will change dramatically. To the point of having rebellion created. So far everything seems like you're making the bad choices or staying in your zone of comfort while blaming the game for it

While I also understand the AI complaints, just play in Nightmare. Elites will use their skills much more often and the bounty system gets more meaningful since the meter / amount of mercs you can get while not paying attention honestly dramatically increase

And you said you're 8 hours in which I kinda don't believe either as far as not meeting the Wolf of Sparta / getting the faction system goes. You seem to suck to be honest

Last edited:

Darak

i dont understand any of your post since you can turn absolutely everything off to your liking in the options

This is the same ridiculous answer I get when I complain about the quest design downgrade from Morrowind to Oblivion/Skyrim. Disabling the HUD is not going to change a game which is designed to work with quest markers and is continuously giving you magical information your character couldn't possibly have. In Odyssey's case, it just makes you go to the map screen more often, where all the icons and hints reside anyway, regardless of your HUD options.

Here is what is needed, in my opinion, in order to implement a proper exploration mode:
  • A comprehensive quest journal
  • A log of your past conversations
  • The ability to talk to random NPCs in order to ask for generic directions
  • More comprehensive, less generic directions, specially from quest NPCs (when it makes sense to do so)
  • Getting rid of the eagle objective detection mechanic (the 'you're getting close' message)
  • Getting rid of any objective quest marker
  • Limit the hints you have about your destination to the actual information you get in conversations or clues. Right now about 50% of the hints which appear in exploration mode quests are magical bullshit.
  • And, the most important thing, a quest design which takes all that into account. For example, many quests ask you to kill a specific soldier in a fort. That soldier should have distinctive features or placement. Right now how it works is that you get close to the place and your eagle magically marks for you the person you have to kill.
I'm obviously willing to sacrifice immersion for fun, but modern AAA hand-holding mechanics are detrimental to both. Following an icon or an arrow is not fun. Despite its shortcomings, exploration mode is a step in the good direction, but it is a small step, and the implementation leaves a lot to be desired.

Yeah seriously Kassandra is effing boring in her delivery. Alexios is downright hilarious because the voice actor has a surprising amount of range which makes the character feels much more alive

Let's agree to disagree. I'm really enjoying Kassandra's delivery.

Darak

While I also understand the AI complaints, just play in Nightmare. Elites will use their skills much more often and the bounty system gets more meaningful since the meter / amount of mercs you can get while not paying attention honestly dramatically increase

I'm not a big fan of the mercenary system. It mostly works, but there should be some waiting time between the moment your bounty increases and the appearance of mercenaries. Some times I've enter a fight which triggers a bounty, and a mercenary immediately spawned on my back and attacked me, which is pretty ridiculous. I'd expect mercenaries to be roaming the game world instead of spawning from thin air.

Sygma

This is the same ridiculous answer I get when I complain about the quest design downgrade from Morrowind to Oblivion/Skyrim. Disabling the HUD is not going to change a game which is designed to work with quest markers and is continuously giving you magical information your character couldn't possibly have. In Odyssey's case, it just makes you go to the map screen more often, where all the icons and hints reside anyway, regardless of your HUD options.

Here is what is needed, in my opinion, in order to implement a proper exploration mode:
  • A comprehensive quest journal
  • A log of your past conversations
  • The ability to talk to random NPCs in order to ask for generic directions
  • More comprehensive, less generic directions, specially from quest NPCs (when it makes sense to do so)
  • Getting rid of the eagle objective detection mechanic (the 'you're getting close' message)
  • Getting rid of any objective quest marker
  • Limit the hints you have about your destination to the actual information you get in conversations or clues. Right now about 50% of the hints which appear in exploration mode quests are magical bullshit.
  • And, the most important thing, a quest design which takes all that into account. For example, many quests ask you to kill a specific soldier in a fort. That soldier should have distinctive features or placement. Right now how it works is that you get close to the place and your eagle magically marks for you the person you have to kill.
I'm obviously willing to sacrifice immersion for fun, but modern AAA hand-holding mechanics are detrimental to both. Following an icon or an arrow is not fun. Despite its shortcomings, exploration mode is a step in the good direction, but it is a small step, and the implementation leaves a lot to be desired.

Let's agree to disagree. I'm really enjoying Kassandra's delivery.

So you're asking to have a proper exploration mode that's all about "handing your hand" in order to find a location ? I understand the need for a more organic approach but its simply 100% not needed since the design of the game is about the choices you make, rather than a Botw lite

Also, the eagle ... I mean. You're absolutely not forced to use him, the game tells you that your target isn't far, everything else is up to you

I dont understand the hints in exploration mode being magical bullshit since you either work with clues - data or a npc tells you where to go in order to search. There's a known issue about the directions being not respected at times tho

The quest design in the game absolutely takes everything into account. in fact the game lets you play exactly how you want to. Its the PLAYER that makes the decision of being assisted by turning on hud elements / map markers / using the eagle. No one ever forces you to and you can do quests the old fashionned way, with zero help. They'll still get validated

And at times you also get a quest within a quest if you pay attention

Last edited:

Kreydo

The game is so meh... I was looking a friend playing it and couldn't help but facepalm and roll eyes almost every 2 minutes... It's really a game for people who have absolutely no standard in term of experience and just want to roam and kill in some open world.
I was just like : "Damn so much work, so money in those AAA, so many technical feature, details in the world but for such a mediocre result."

I was putting alongside with my current great experience on Pillars of Eternity Deadfire, a game that lack the big production money but still managed to be a FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR better game than Assassin Creed Odyssey.
I just can't help to imagine playing Deadfire with Ubisoft game graphics and render, but we are still in a gaming world where you can't have both... Greats graphics and in-deph gaming experience (beside some jewel like The Witcher III)

In the end I rather play some "old-school" RPG than those Ubisoft empty shell.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Let me guess, none of the mentioned the microtransactions at all? Or just barely, and then gave a vote like those weren't there?

Last edited:

base

Banned
So far:
- poor animations, mimics
- fight quute average. Ac3 had better
- exploration mode is a joke
- grinding grinding grinding. They force people to buy extra paid content to get extra xp and money

VertigoOA

Banned
Saying the music is like the Witcher is disingenuous. It sounds very ethnic Greek.

And witcher’s Soundtrack was discount Xena the warrior princess most of the time.

Game is pretty solid. Already like it better than origins. Combat is improved but still don’t get why they use the dark souls setup. It doesn’t work well.

Last edited:

Darak

Well, finished the main story and got a shit ending. Without spoiling anything, every character I had sympathy for ended up dead or hating me, so the entire experience was a massive waste of time from a narrative perspective. Lots of buildup, zero payoff.

I'll give credits to Ubisoft because they were not kidding about choices and consequences, but I don't like the implementation. It is a very butterfly effect thing, were being mean once to someone could end up with your entire family unavoidably killed one year later (not an example from the game, but you get the idea). It's better than having no choices I guess, but at the end of the day I'm underwhelmed and felt like I've been wasting 80 hours following... I don't know what.

I've had this issue with other games with choices recently, so I guess the whole concept is not for me.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
After playing for a few days with both I decided to drop Kassandra, Story is same but Alexios just has better delivery with the script.
They really should have done separate scripts, perhaps have Kassandra start in another part of Greece with her own story.
But honestly I feel sorry for people who are only playing as Kassandra with no intention to play as Alexios as they're really missing out, myself and anyone who seen me play have had some genuine laughs from Alexios.
He is better then Ezio imo.

Thiagosc777

And you said you're 8 hours in which I kinda don't believe either as far as not meeting the Wolf of Sparta / getting the faction system goes. You seem to suck to be honest

I have been playing for 11 hours now. Past the wolf. It took this much because I was actually doing all the side quests.

So, where is this faction feature? When does it become available?

VertigoOA

Banned
Did they really make all the greeks brown in this? I’m not offended or anything but like I’m not sure if I fucked up hdr on my console... like modern Greeks sure... a good amount of us are dark skinned but for that time period? Makes even less sense.

I find it hilarious. Still loving the game of course. The stereotypical Greek accents are on the money. Reviewers think it’s bad but the reality is it’s kinda authentic.

Some flawed usage of the word Malaka. But otherwise... good job with the world

Last edited:

Thiagosc777

Did they really make all the greeks brown in this? I’m not offended or anything but like I’m not sure if I fucked up hdr on my console... like modern Greeks sure... a good amount of us are dark skinned but for that time period? Makes even less sense.

It's no HDR configuration, it's just that they butchered your history. It's funny that no reviewer mentioned it. I thought I was in India or something.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider recently took a s*** on many indigenous cultures. So I guess this is business as usual for the gaming industry.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It's no HDR configuration, it's just that they butchered your history. It's funny that no reviewer mentioned it. I thought I was in India or something.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider recently took a s*** on many indigenous cultures. So I guess this is business as usual for the gaming industry.

Funny, I haven't seen an excess of brown people in Odyssey. A few for sure, like Markos or some of the random black NPCs, but most of them appear white as hell. Might be your TV/monitor settings.

Now the thing I have noticed was how Greece seems to have a very heavy population of warrior women. I swear I fight more female NPCs than I do male ones. Just seems very... out of place.

Neolombax

I'm so glad I bought this game after days of agonizing on whether to buy it or not. It's such a refined version Origins. I liked Origins, I didn't love it. The small touches that Odyssey has made the experience a superior one for me personally. The dialog choices makes for a more personalized experience. I love that the camera now has a locked angle when entering conversations. The changes to combat now makes it faster and satisfying. And I prefer the overall color palette of Odyssey over Origins. Its more vibrant and pleasing to me.

Thiagosc777

I am done with this game and I regret my purchase. Problems:

- It's grindy. It reminds me of Destiny, i.e., you have armor and weapons, but you need to keep upgrading them and that takes resources (like infusion in Destiny). In order to acquire those resources you have to complete side missions or roam the wilderness. It's tedious;
- Forget about stealth. Origins had a similar problem, but this time it seems it was cranked to 11. You can't assassinate enemies anymore, unless they are lower level. And it is guaranteed that every mission will have 1 or more higher level enemies. On top of that Bounty Hunters keep spawning right where you are, no matter where you go. The AI is terrible, they can sense your position at all times, ruining your stealth;
- The faction system is just a way for you to acquire loot, like contracts in Destiny. There's no strategy to it. No siege. No planning. The mission starts with you in the middle of a battlefield with a "life bar" at the top. The bar depletes as you kill enemy soldiers. It's lame;
- You can weaken a certain nation and help another one to take over, but why would you want to do that? That's the problem with this game, it's just a slot machine, there's no meaning to any of this.

In other words, this is a "game as a service". Grind for loot. Level up. Upgrade your weapons. Repetitive missions and contracts that will give you XP.

Trying to finish missions is a pain. Bounty Hunters will always show up, and they are a pain to deal with. They take a lot longer to kill. And even after you kill them, another one will show up with a procedurally generated name.

And this is what made me give up on it. The bounty hunters are really ruining my time with the game. They follow you everywhere. You can pay the bounty, but that's just another way of making you grind for resources.

BTW, for those sensitive to "social justice" in games, be prepared because this game takes it to another level. For example, in one mission a woman ship capitain asked me to search for her ship, but before that she made sure I knew how much she loved her female partner in a very detailed way, even though I had never met her before. That's precisely what people complain about agendas in games, it is not enough to have diverse characters, they have to advertise it in order gain social points: "Hey guys, look at how progressive we are! We have gay characters! Look! Aren't we great? Please give us a like and tell us in the comments how great we are". IT'S AN INHUMAN DIALOG, that feels like it was written by aliens.

I think that's it for the Assassin's Creed franchise. I am done with it. It's a F2P, microtransaction ridden mobile crap now.

Top Bottom