• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed: Odyssey Review Scores

Armorian

Banned
Okay, one thing that is really starting to get old are bounty hunters coming in and ruining everything. I keep trying to recruit them but as I wittle down their health to where I can kick them into submission another one just shows up and accidentally kills the knocked out one. It’s happened like 4 times in a row now and getting tiring.

You know you can spend money on map screen to reset "wanted level"? I don't have any mercs on me.

Terce

Man some people really have a hate-on for this thing eh. People, just relax and stop being offended that other people like something you don't. We don't need to hear you whine over and over.

That being said, I haven't played an AC game since the 2nd and am wondering if this is a good time to hop back in. I've got a few games on the backlog atm but I was looking at Origins before this one came out. The decision for me is should I just grab Origins when it's on sale or is this an enjoyable enough experience to warrant the price (leafbux). My favourite part of the series was always the stealth and the different ways to approach a kill, does that exist here or is it repeat the same sequence over and over?

Darak

Mercenaries are definitively an issue. In nightmare, they are relentless, and always spawn extremely close to you. You can pay to reset bounties, but there are several moments through the main story where that option is removed from you temporarily. In addition, there's always the magnificent experience of having no bounty, breaking into combat (sometimes accidentally), see the bounty raise past the first mercenary level, and immediately a mercenary spawns close by and joins the same fight which has caused the bounty to appear. That's pretty ridiculous and feels like a bug, to be honest. Sometimes, even the action of defending against a mercenary causes the bounty to raise and a second one to appear.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Sygma, I also explained myself to Thiagosc, however they seem to just not care. They are "right" and we are "wrong". It isn't worth conversing with them at this point. It is clear that Thia has a very biased look at the game from the onset.

Lol nobody should pay attention to anything Thiago says. He's practically stuck in a state of perpetual negativity, shits on everything, and proceeds to become infuriated whenever someone likes something he doesn't. There's no room for discussion with him, just add him to your ignore list and move on like I did months ago.

Last edited:

Thiagosc777

Easy. Just play the game as how it was designed instead of whining about what it isn't...

Whining? Stop projecting. You and a few others are the ones who seem to be bothered by me not liking this game.

But no, I don't grind for resources. I have better games to play.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Whining? Stop projecting. You and a few others are the ones who seem to be bothered by me not liking this game.

But no, I don't grind for resources. I have better games to play.

No one has an issue with you not liking a game. People have issues when you state lies about a game.

Hinedorf

Banned
Feels like a blend of AC and Witcher with most things being close to Witcher. Around 15 hours in and I'm loving it, playing as a full assassin build

That's the point of a forum though. You post something about something and someone comments on that. It's how forums work in general. If you don't like people commenting on what you post you shouldn't post then. The fact that the larger pool of opinions disagree with you means that you are doing something wrong. It's your choice not liking the game, but giving excuses and reasons that aren't in this game doesn't help with the discussion.

Also sometimes when we exchange opinions there is a slight chance that we might view things with a different eye and change how we feel about them, especially if we are biased towards somethin.

Last edited:
Then please tell your buddies over there, because they are literally throwing tantrums like that Sygma guy.

They are not my buddies sorry, it just happens to share identical opinions about this game, I'm just taking part on a public conversation, sharing my views on what is being said. If it wasn't a public conversation and had no way to access it then i wouldn't, and seeing you calling the game garbage doesn't help. Garbage is a strong word to describe somethin and if you really believe that for ACO then you should add more games to your library.

Muffdraul

AFAIK it's impossible to unequip the bow, don't know why but I couldn't.

The only reason you can un-equip melee weapons is to enable non-lethal combat. The equivalent for the bow is stun arrows. No reason to un-equip it... at least not from a game play perspective.

Ozrimandias

Someone can please tell me if the progression and leveling its the same as origins?

Example: I finish main story mission 3, but to access main story mission 4 i got to do some boring side quest and leveling my character from level 6 to 9 to simply access....its working the same in Odyssey? Main Story mission doesnt always give you the amount of XP needed to do the next mission.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
You know you can spend money on map screen to reset "wanted level"? I don't have any mercs on me.
That doesn’t do much good when you’re at zero when the conflict gets started and goes up as the fight starts now does it? Especially in those fights where stealth is damn near impossible.

sertopico

The only reason you can un-equip melee weapons is to enable non-lethal combat. The equivalent for the bow is stun arrows. No reason to un-equip it... at least not from a game play perspective.
Personally I wouldn't unequip it but maybe some ppl just want to do it for screenshots and such.

Curious, why Kassandra? The character is written to fit either her or Alexios as the script is completely interchangeable between the two.

I feel the same about her. Not all time favorite though, but i really like her. I know ofcourse that is just a face skin and everything surrounding the characters doesn't change. I just let myself get immersed into her role so i don't really care.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I feel the same about her. Not all time favorite though, but i really like her. I know ofcourse that is just a face skin and everything surrounding the characters doesn't change. I just let myself get immersed into her role so i don't really care.

Gotcha. I really do enjoy the writing in general for the game. Was just confused why so many kept stating it was Kassandra *specifically* that they enjoyed.

Curious, why Kassandra? The character is written to fit either her or Alexios as the script is completely interchangeable between the two.
although the script may be the same, the execution plays out differently based on the voice actors and the facial expressions play out differently as well. In addition I really like her look, she has the perfect blend of beauty and strength.

Gotcha. I really do enjoy the writing in general for the game. Was just confused why so many kept stating it was Kassandra *specifically* that they enjoyed.

I'm hearing from friends that Alexios performs a bit better than Kassandra and some situations fit better to him so i'll probaply repeat the game with him aswell.

In general i like the game and the depiction of ancient greece (i'm from Greece, Kefallonia specifically) and they are rather accurate on the locations. Character wise not that much. Alexios, Kassandra, Barnabas and many other persons weren't a thing at that era. The same goes for all the female soldiers i encounter (Spartans never had women soldiers), but it's a nice game with good mechanics considering that it's their first full RPG attempt and it's a work of fiction so i just ignore those stuff.

I put in about 7 hrs after picking this up on Friday. Honestly this has been the best entry I've played since Assassin's Creed Black Flag. I really like the voice acting for the main characters, in particular Alexios. After finishing 'tutorial island' in about 4 hrs (which felt almost like Zelda: Botw) I've been continuing on with the main quest abit and enjoying several ship battles on my way to the next portion of where the main story picks up.

Theres nothing quite as rewarding as when you board a ship, fight the other crew and Sparta kick the last guy off his ship. I also inadvertently found this worked well when facing opponents who are maybe abit over the recommended skill level if you fight them on a high ledge, softening them up and then knock them down for the big fall.

I've had a blast getting into some of those crazy ship battles once you have the freedom of leaving tutorial island, I forgot how much I really loved this game play mechanic from Black Flag having battles in the middle of a storm as you circle around together and trade blows back and fourth until one ship sinks. I have to admit I was super happy when the ships crew started singing upon embarking on open waters for the first time. It seems like this entry has taken a few things that they got right from past entries and put them into this game with some decent characters and one of the most interesting and visually stunning eras of all time, Ancient Greece.

I think the game looks beautiful overall, the landscapes, the colourful skies, the ocean and the cities really do this time period some justice especially on the PS4 Pro with HDR. I especially love some of the under water stuff I've got to do, it really adds to the scope of the game when you think of the grand scale of the map. I've found the size of the map to kind of remind me of the size of the map of Far Cry 5, with more emphasis on travelling on the ocean vs the small lakes of fictional Montana.

The combat feels like an Assassin's Creed game, maybe abit dated at this point as far as the basic combat goes but the joy in combat is leveling up your special skills and using those abilities in battle. The progression overall all very much feels like a Ubisoft game.

The thing I'm most impressed with is how much this game has drawn me in and kept me wanting to see whats next in the story, the pacing for me feels better this time around than Assassin's Creed Origins.

One thing I want to see is Greek Mythology type enemies and the hunts for them.

Last edited:

Thiagosc777

A balanced point of view about the microtransactions in Odyssey. Although I still disagree with him, because the game still has many issues, besides the microtransactions.

TLDW: YouTuber putting the mainstream games media to shame, again.

Neolombax

Destiny 1 had the exact same problem, and then people complained and Bungie added the Infusion mechanic to allow people to keep their gear. Now you are saying this is ok.

So, let's see. It is bad in Destiny, but ok in Assassin's Creed. Ok. Makes sense. (not really)

Destiny had so many other big problems, infusion is a very minor irk. Also it was not a problem for me in Destiny, it is not in Odyssey.

I forgot to mention that for the people that find it hard to progress in the game they can buy temp xp boosts from the UBI club with 10 helix points.

Last edited:
Man some people really have a hate-on for this thing eh. People, just relax and stop being offended that other people like something you don't. We don't need to hear you whine over and over.

That being said, I haven't played an AC game since the 2nd and am wondering if this is a good time to hop back in. I've got a few games on the backlog atm but I was looking at Origins before this one came out. The decision for me is should I just grab Origins when it's on sale or is this an enjoyable enough experience to warrant the price (leafbux). My favourite part of the series was always the stealth and the different ways to approach a kill, does that exist here or is it repeat the same sequence over and over?

I mean, I like it. My favorite AC's are now AC: Brotherhood (game after AC2), AC: Black Flag (pirate game, awesome), and now I'd say AC: Odyssey. It combines rpg elements similar to The Witcher 3 (yeah I know some posters hate that allusion) as well as AC: Origins and AC: Black Flag. I think it's a good combination. Kind of reminds me of how Brotherhood was a culmination of the early AC and made it all work really well. That's why Odyssey feels like for a newer AC.

Has the naval combat of Black Flag (though for the times, keep in mind), along with a big open world and rpg elements. I like the exploration. It's not that cookie cutter. There's still little hidden caves and such which are a nice touch. It's quite enjoyable to me honestly. So it has a little bit of that Gothic (PC series)/ Witcher feel to it.

And yes, stealth works. I'm going full assassin and it's real nice. The one thing I might recommend though is getting Second Wind from the Warrior tree once available for healing. Other than that you can go full Assassin tree.

Kreydo

Jason literally say AC Odyssey succefully bring the same gaming standard experience as The Witcher III... He lost the last bit of credibility he could have as a gamer.
It's ok he don't have to pretend anymore, Jason just keep writing propaganda article about Destiny and Fortnite between some SJW bullshit, just don't bother with game man you just look miserable.

I'm enjoying this game way more than I ever thought I would. And for once I'm actually not skipping cutscenes in following the story. This stuff is really good, probably my favorite Assassin's Creed yet and a big impovement from Origins which was solid also

foxdvd

finally found a creed game that is going to top 2 and Black Flag...

22 hours in and it keeps getting better. God of War has serious competition for game of the year here.

Kreydo

Those "fanboys" comment with 0 argumentation are just hilarious...

We also like apple guys, can you tell us more about it?

base

Banned
Kassandra is now one of my all time favorite female characters. So humanlike.
You must be joking. She's even worse than Evie. Her voice acting is a piece of shit. And for "humanlike" you mean that it's a RPG game where you can decide if you're humanlike or not? :D

Zewp

It's absolutely bizarre, because so many of the complaints aren't reflected in the actual gameplay. I'm seeing so many people whine about microtransactions. I've been playing on Hard and not once have a I felt that I had to grind for resources. I hit level 15 last night and I have good gear and my ship is pretty well-upgraded. I'm not exactly struggling with resources any more than I did in Brotherhood or AC4. I can't upgrade my legendaries every level, but that's to be expected. They're legendaries, the absolute top-tier equipment. I get a continuous stream of new equipment anyway. More than I know what to do with.

The grind is definitely not real for me.

Sygma, I also explained myself to Thiagosc, however they seem to just not care. They are "right" and we are "wrong". It isn't worth conversing with them at this point. It is clear that Thia has a very biased look at the game from the onset.

Thiagosc disagrees with the game's politics. He's been whining about the "SJW" stuff for weeks, so now that those discussions have died down and nobody wants to listen to his sad rants, he needs to find another way to shit on the game. This is just the natural evolution of a bitter person. I didn't read the full thread, but wouldn't be surprised if he didn't even play the game for himself.

Last edited:

J3nga

Will pick it up once it's ~50% off, I think it's worth playing, but not worthy full price, especially RDR2 just around the corner I don't want to exhaust myself with grindy open-world.

Darak

Some of the controversies around this title may have some ground in reality, but they are a bit overblown IMO.

The game has microtransactions. As they are implemented, I don't think they are going to bother most players at all. You really can just enjoy the game, do your stuff, and you won't even remember they are there: you won't find any progress blockers if you do even occasional side activities, and you wouldn't like to miss them, since side quests arguably contain some of the best content in the game. You really don't need to do any of the filler stuff such as automatically generated contracts, conquest battles, or quests/forts which are not on your quests. That being said, I'm sure there is a group of players who would enjoy or need those boosters, Ubi added them to the game, so I'm sure they expect to sell at least some. The thing is, they are a solution for a problem that shouldn't exist, regardless of the fact that the problem may not affect a majority of gamers. For some, the game would have been better without their presence. That doesn't make this game into the next FIFA or mobile cash-grab experience, though. There is a huge difference between selling a fairly unnecessary, permanent progress boost, and blocking the player with constant paywalls and deceiving loot boxes.

The politics/SJW stuff certainly has some influence in the game (the first thing you see when you start the game is an identity politics disclaimer). The traditional gender roles you'd expect are completely missing from this ancient Greece tale, for example. But then again, this game is more like a fantasy world loosely based on ancient Greece, and the pretense of historical accuracy is more like window dressing. Things like slavery, politics, battles, architecture, ships or geography are also completely misrepresented, sometimes following the rule of cool, other times because they would get in the way of the story they wanted to tell, other times probably not on purpose. But there is zero pandering or lecturing in the game IMHO. I'd even argue politics had little influence in the main story (you start the game, choose to be a woman, and get punched in the face in the first cutscene).

VertigoOA

Banned
My problem with the new assasins creed direction is that it would best lend itself to a more fantasy setting. It’s so damn similar to witcher and BotW at this point I mean why the fuck not.

I have the same problem with the division. Being grounded in reality severely limits the potential of these games.

I wouldn’t mind if they put assasins creed of old to rest completely and went full fantasy.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
While I share some frustrations that Thiagosc777 has with the game, overall I am really liking it. I do not think it is as good as Origins mainly because of the map. Very few of the locations really standout in the way that places like Alexandria, Memphis, Giza and Cyrene stoodout in the first game. Interestingly the areas away from cities remind me of the frontier in AC3.

I have said a million times and will say it again, as Assassins Creed game lives and dies by how good it's checklist gameplay stuff is. For the most part, the repetitive activities in Odyssey are enjoyable as did Origins and Syndicate before it. Areas where AC3 (getting remastered) and Unity were unexceptional.

Right now my only real frustration with Odyssey is that resource gathering is becoming a chore as I am now levelling up faster than I can keep pace with my gear and the bounty system can create headaches. Spongy enemies are also annoying.

There just doesn't seem to be an easy way to quickly obtain a lot of leather and iron in a reasonable timeframe. Yes, you can steal them from the occasional outposts, but those are few and far between. Dismantling can be effective if you have gone through a lot of outposts. Any tips?

Thiagosc777

As they are implemented, I don't think they are going to bother most players at all.

You won't find any progress blockers if you do even occasional side activities, and you wouldn't like to miss them, since side quests arguably contain some of the best content in the game.

There you are. Grinding. Side quests aren't optional and you need to do them in order to level up and gain resources. This entire game is a chore to play.

Thiagosc777

Right now my only real frustration with Odyssey is that resource gathering is becoming a chore as I am now levelling up faster than I can keep pace with my gear and the bounty system can create headaches. Spongy enemies are also annoying.

Thanks. I am trying to tell them that, but apparently anyone who thinks that way is a "hater".

Thiagosc777

Jason literally say AC Odyssey succefully bring the same gaming standard experience as The Witcher III... He lost the last bit of credibility he could have as a gamer.
It's ok he don't have to pretend anymore, Jason just keep writing propaganda article about Destiny and Fortnite between some SJW bullshit, just don't bother with game man you just look miserable.

Did you notice how to mainstream media has circled the wagons around this game?

The Witcher 3 has one of the best stories in games I have ever seen. Each character had its own reasons and behaved in plausible ways. It was awesome. Now compare this to Odyssey, where random stranger NPCs show up and give you orders (and you do them because it is a videogame) or talk about their personal lives in an unnatural way (i.e., writers virtue signaling about how progressive they are). The characters in Odyssey look like videogame characters (grunts to kill, quest givers, etc) instead of humans.

sertopico

Why don't you open an Odyssey Hate (or whatever it is) Club thread, so that we don't have to read your complaints the whole time and you can discuss about how much you hate the game and how greedy and shady Ubisoft is? Thank you!

Last edited:
Did you notice how to mainstream media has circled the wagons around this game?

The Witcher 3 has one of the best stories in games I have ever seen. Each character had its own reasons and behaved in plausible ways. It was awesome. Now compare this to Odyssey, where random stranger NPCs show up and give you orders (and you do them because it is a videogame) or talk about their personal lives in an unnatural way (i.e., writers virtue signaling about how progressive they are). The characters in Odyssey look like videogame characters (grunts to kill, quest givers, etc) instead of humans.

In ancient Greece orgies, gangbangs, homosexual sex was an everyday thing for everyone. It has nothing to do with progressive thinking, or if it is about that, at least it fits that Era of the game. The only weird thing i've seen in ACO that probaply pusses the progressive thinking ahead is the inclusion of female soldiers. That wasn't a thing back then, but i don't really care about politics, i try to enjoy the game as it is and based on the RPG's i've played ACO is the least grinding of them and i think many sidemissions tell stories that fill the main story.

Try MHW to see what a grinder of game that is.

I really would like to see you psn profile or an image of the games you played because from what i've seen the people that call this game a grinder never played an RPG or they mostly played western RPG's with either shallow combat or simple mechanics.

Last edited:

Thiagosc777

In ancient Greece orgies, gangbangs, homosexual sex was an everyday thing for everyone.

Citation needed. The only institutionalized form of homosexuality in some ancient Greek cities was pederasty, which was a older man, a mentor, having relationships with younger boys. Which doesn't explain why random NPCs will talk to you about their personal lives.

Citation needed. The only institutionalized form of homosexuality in some ancient Greek cities was pederasty, which was a older man, a mentor, having relationships with younger boys. Which doesn't explain why random NPCs will talk to you about their personal lives.

Back then they where called symposiums not orgies, but yes it was an everyday thing. And Greek men liked both Men and Women. Back then being bisexual wasn't a taboo like today. The thing you mentioned was a fact indeed, and for the young boys and their families it was considered an honor to have sex with your mentor.

I'm from Greece so i know my history a bit better.

Top Bottom