• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed: Odyssey Review Scores

sertopico

Vavra should take care of his little boy Kingdom Come: Deliverance. THAT was a shipwreck. And by the way, I know many Greeks that speak english exactly like that. It may sound funny to a mothertongue but that's how many talk.

Last edited:

sertopico

I tend to disagree, it was buggy as hell, plenty of fetch quests, no sense of reward and progression at all. Besides it looked very different from the bullshots they published on Steam to advertise the game. In cities and countryside there are almost no activities. It looked very dull to me, to such extent that I just quit playing it. It's a matter of taste of course. No worries, I won't start complaining about the game for one week. :D

Last edited:
What are you on about? it was a great game!

It is a great game and i love it but the technical issues are a chore. I'm playing it atm, going for the plat, and i'm really trying hard to ignore the issues. Game needs restarting every few hours, sometimes bsod's and i loose progress so if you are gonna judge somethin first look at a mirror.

Last edited:

Sygma

Kassandra is now one of my all time favorite female characters. So humanlike.

I tried playing with her for a good 6 - 8 hours but I can't see any of what most people are depicting about her. She's expressionless for the most part and her delivery is really bland (to my tastes, yadda yadda)

Alexios however might be the best male MC in any game ever, his VA and expressions are amazing. Guy behind is so passionate. Like seriously just do the quest called Family Values and note the differences between him and Kassandra in terms of delivery, its night and day

Last edited:
I tried playing with her for a good 6 - 8 hours but I can't see any of what most people are depicting about her. She's expressionless for the most part and her delivery is really bland (to my tastes, yadda yadda)

Alexios however might be the best male MC in any game ever, his VA and expressions are amazing. Guy behind is so passionate. Like seriously just do the quest called Family Values and note the differences between him and Kassandra in terms of delivery, its night and day

I haven't finished the game but reading this and hearing opinions about Alexios, i really want to replay the game with Alexios after i finish it, but i would love a New Game+ mode where you switch characters and keep some basic stuff.

Last edited:

Sygma

I haven't finished the game but reading this and hearing opinions about Alexios, i really want to replay the game with Alexios after i finish it, but i would love a New Game+ mode where you switch characters and keep some basic stuff.

In theory new game + is coming along, I'll replay the game with dlcs as Kassandra to see the differences more in depth but yeah, my boy Alexios is too funny / engaged all the time, its gonna be hard

Kassandra ain't Aloy by a long shot

edit : not the same kind of genre but Chloe and Nadine from Lost Legacy are also much better

Last edited:
In theory new game + is coming along, I'll replay the game with dlcs as Kassandra to see the differences more in depth but yeah, my boy Alexios is too funny / engaged all the time, its gonna be hard

Kassandra ain't Aloy by a long shot

She isn't that's true and i think that's because Aloy felt more natural to the whole "ecosystem". Kassandra is somewhat out of place sometimes.

edit: I hate them both :p No specific reason to be honest. I'm more of an Elena fan.

Last edited:

Kreydo

Why don't you open an Odyssey Hate (or whatever it is) Club thread, so that we don't have to read your complaints the whole time and you can discuss about how much you hate the game and how greedy and shady Ubisoft is? Thank you!
Funny how everyhting is always about hate and not understanding critisim or just dislike.

Thiagosc can be a bit extrem and don't like many things, but at least his post are argumented, he explain why he don't like something and even if you have low chance to change his mind, he's open to debate.
I find this kind of post far more interessting(even if I don't always agree) on a video game board than post about : " hurhur day one!" "Wow best game eva!" "I'm at 6h and it's very very good lol."

Also clearly enjoying this much Assassin Creed is about personal expectation and gaming standard not real general quality feature... That licence is blockbuster, those game doesn't need to be good to sell, it just have to be average.
The 'RPG' elements were just brought in Origin to give Ubisoft the "legitimity" to insert a cach shop and sell weapons, mount, costume etc, they don't give a shit about the gamer experience.

Last edited:

Sygma

6WMXD7x.jpg

So this + the maxed out Assassination skill giving more dps at night pretty much enable a one shot party even against double elites, haven't tried against upper level enemies but I reckon it should be a 75% hp bar in one go

Also I absolutely don't understand the engraving calculations in the game but the difference between a fully engraved character and a naked one in that regard is absolutely disgusting. By adding one +12% to all armor on one piece, and another + 8% melee resistance or so on another one, I'm now a dps tank, it doesn't make any sense but I love it

Since you can put 2 engravings on some gear I reckon it will get pretty easy even in nightmare, but since this spear is a thing and conquest battles are another, there's still plenty of room to die, lol

Last edited:

DS_Joost

Did you notice how to mainstream media has circled the wagons around this game?

The Witcher 3 has one of the best stories in games I have ever seen. Each character had its own reasons and behaved in plausible ways. It was awesome. Now compare this to Odyssey, where random stranger NPCs show up and give you orders (and you do them because it is a videogame) or talk about their personal lives in an unnatural way (i.e., writers virtue signaling about how progressive they are). The characters in Odyssey look like videogame characters (grunts to kill, quest givers, etc) instead of humans.

It is the worst game of all time. An absolute chore to play. It is bad in every single aspect. So bad that I will join you on my crusade to bring it down once and for all, and to show all these sheeple how evil of a corporation Ubisoft is. This game is an absolute shame, an insult to every single RPG ever made. Fuck, I vomit at the thought of this game even existing. It offends me in every fiber of my being. Just today I played the game (out of disgust, of course, because I love torturing myself) and I vomited when Kassandra opened her mouth. She did not even say anything, just the animation of it brought back horrible memories of last night, where I was so excited to maybe finally meet an NPC, only to give me a side activity! Can you believe that? A fucking SIDE ACTIVITY?!?!?! Not only that, but he started talking about his life! How dare he! How dare these developers think that I, master of RPGs of yore, am falling for that kind tomfoolery. On top of that, what angries me so much that I right now need to put a fist in the wall, is the fact that he gave me a choice. A fucking choice? In an RPG? And then, said choice even changed the outcome of said quest. They even gave me experience and loot!!!! I even went a level higher!!!! Man, just thinking about it makes me want to kill myself. In fact, I still have some rope in kitchen drawer. Then again, I won't let Ubisoft, the monster that it is, have the pleasure of me robbing myself of my life. It is they who must suffer instead! I hope these developers rest in hell for eternity. To me, compared to this game, what Hitler did was small time. They literally created this game for gamers who want to suffer through what is such bad game design that I can only conclude the people who made it are sick to a level that hasn't existed throughout the ages.

Thus ends my rant. This game isn't just bad. It is the worst thing humanity has ever created. The holocaust is nothing compared to this.

sertopico

Funny how everyhting is always about hate and not understanding critisim or just dislike.

Thiagosc can be a bit extrem and don't like many things, but at least his post are argumented, he explain why he don't like something and even if you have low chance to change his mind, he's open to debate.
I find this kind of post far more interessting(even if I don't always agree) on a video game board than post about : " hurhur day one!" "Wow best game eva!" "I'm at 6h and it's very very good lol."

Also clearly enjoying this much Assassin Creed is about personal expectation and gaming standard not real general quality feature... That licence is blockbuster, those game doesn't need to be good to sell, it just have to be average.
The 'RPG' elements were just brought in Origin to give Ubisoft the "legitimity" to insert a cach shop and sell weapons, mount, costume etc, they don't give a shit about the gamer experience.
I get your point of view but what's so constructive about bringing up the same topic over and over again? I'm also not one of those who accepts something with no criticism but I also don't want to convince anybody about anything. I'd rather read about the game itself, which is not just grinding, monotony and Helix points.

Last edited:

Sygma

It is the worst game of all time. An absolute chore to play. It is bad in every single aspect. So bad that I will join you on my crusade to bring it down once and for all, and to show all these sheeple how evil of a corporation Ubisoft is. This game is an absolute shame, an insult to every single RPG ever made. Fuck, I vomit at the thought of this game even existing. It offends me in every fiber of my being. Just today I played the game (out of disgust, of course, because I love torturing myself) and I vomited when Kassandra opened her mouth. She did not even say anything, just the animation of it brought back horrible memories of last night, where I was so excited to maybe finally meet an NPC, only to give me a side activity! Can you believe that? A fucking SIDE ACTIVITY?!?!?! Not only that, but he started talking about his life! How dare he! How dare these developers think that I, master of RPGs of yore, am falling for that kind tomfoolery. On top of that, what angries me so much that I right now need to put a fist in the wall, is the fact that he gave me a choice. A fucking choice? In an RPG? And then, said choice even changed the outcome of said quest. They even gave me experience and loot!!!! I even went a level higher!!!! Man, just thinking about it makes me want to kill myself. In fact, I still have some rope in kitchen drawer. Then again, I won't let Ubisoft, the monster that it is, have the pleasure of me robbing myself of my life. It is they who must suffer instead! I hope these developers rest in hell for eternity. To me, compared to this game, what Hitler did was small time. They literally created this game for gamers who want to suffer through what is such bad game design that I can only conclude the people who made it are sick to a level that hasn't existed throughout the ages.

Thus ends my rant. This game isn't just bad. It is the worst thing humanity has ever created. The holocaust is nothing compared to this.

but are you a lesbo

Beat the story last night sitting on 300k in money. Game gives a shit load of money all of my resources are in the thousands. Don’t see where this grind is.

Kreydo

I'd rather read about the game itself, which is not just grinding, monotony and Helix points.
Read the game itself you mean after buying it or from the advertising press? It's too late then, only sells matters to publisher not your opinion.

People just have to be honest with Assassin Creed being mainstream blockbuster, a game who can does many fun things for sure, but do very few of them correctly.
Quantity never meant quality. and while fun is totally subjective to individual, game feature themeselve can be judged and put in comparison.

I wish Assassin Creed were better than what they just are since a decade... I'm not the only one, and this is why I'll keep being critic about it, because I'm expecting better, because we deserve better, and because there is other game who did better with less money and man-power.

VertigoOA

Banned
The accents are on the fucking money. It’s so good sometimes I find it hilarious. Some are bad sure but the old horny lady looking for the bear scrotum elixir... so legit. I’m sorry you’re all fucking wrong.

I don’t know why you’re expecting top quality writing. I’m totally a fan of shitty b-movie type. Works here.

Phokis has been so much fun. I got tons of mercenaries on my ass it totally reminds me of dark souls ai invaders right now.

I kinda love this game at the moment.

Last edited:
There is side quests that you literally approach the quest giver, go through a dialogue, give the quest giver drachma, it completes the quest, and you get XP....

And I have encountered more than one of these quests. That is some low effort padding.

Last edited:

base

Banned
There is side quests that you literally give npcs drachma, it completes the quest, and you get XP....

And I have encountered more than one of these quests.
I had it more than 5 times. Gimme 50 drachmas and you get xp in return. Wtf is that...

Wow. User's score at Metacritic is getting really low. Lower than Origins's!

I haven't checked metacritic at all but i'm pretty sure that's because of the MT's. I don't like em in my games but if they don't mess up with the core gameplay i'm fine with it.

Zewp

What are you on about? it was a great game!

It was also ridiculously buggy. Way more than it had any right to be. Vavra would do well to remember that plenty of quests were unfinishable due to bugs and many people couldn't even finish the game due to game-breaking bugs. Me and at least two of my friends couldn't finish it due to bugs. Don't remember what the other guys said, but mine was because a main quest NPC slept 24/7 and nothing I did could wake them.

I loved Kingdom Come, but Vavra shouldn't be criticising other people's games when he's sitting behind one of the buggiest releases of 2018.

base

Banned
I'm still upset with what they did to Lucy/Desmond and the modern day story line.

giphy.gif
Me too. Shaun and Rebecca both disappeared since AC3. They appear only in Origins for a short period of time. I think also in Black Flag. The Modern Day had so much potential and they ruined it.

Zewp

I'm still upset with what they did to Lucy/Desmond and the modern day story line.

giphy.gif

I was never a fan of them, but I know lots of people liked it from AC1 - 3. At the moment their modern 'story' is just floundering and it feels like it's tacked on for the sake of tradition more than anything else. They need to either find an overarching story (that isn't a 15min thing like in Origins or Odyssey) or just drop the modern day thing entirely.

Daniel Vávra delivering again. Fully agree with his tweet. This game would have been ripped to pieces by the games media if Kassandra wasn't in it. Pathetic.

I highly disagree with all his other comments though. I don't really care that the VA languages are in english. They speak the way most greeks use the english language so it's fine and it actually feels realistic, (yes we sound that funny like a parody as he points out on real life) it's a game based on fiction, half of the stuff are not realistic or are not correct for the period the game takes place. Alexios and Kassandra as names never existed that period, same with Barnabas, Phokis and many others. I don't think it's an insult as he points out in one of his answers and i'm saying that as a Greek.

Also i would like him to patch his game before starting pointing problems in the works of other studios, because while i'm having fun with Kingdom Come, i have to close it every few hours because texture problems start happening.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I’m about 25 hours or so into the game, and I’ve JUST got on the boat for the second time and reached the second dock. I’m now a few XP away from level 19.

This is because I’m playing the game. I’m actually exploring the world, doing side quests and playing. I’ve not hit any brick walls yet, with the exception of that one area on the first land mass that’s far too high level for me (about 35?)

So far the only flaws I’ve found for me personally are:

- I fucking HATE that everything levels up with you. It totally destroys the point of level of up. I don’t feel like I’m getting more powerful, which destroys the pace for me. What I mean is you can start on an island that’s let’s say level 10, but every time you level up, t goes up a level. This makes it a pain in the arse because there’s nowhere you ever feel like you can go in and be a boss... I hate that. That’s not what I like about levelling.

- I still have zero idea how this hunter system works. I have killed shit loads but when I check the menu I only seem to have a couple killed. I would have thought you kill them, and they get removed from the tier, and you next get harder ones... but I’ve still got loads missing from the first tier? Makes no sense to me. Maybe I’m thinking of it wrong?

- There’s not enough hours in the day to play :(

- I fucking HATE that everything levels up with you. It totally destroys the point of level of up. I don’t feel like I’m getting more powerful, which destroys the pace for me. What I mean is you can start on an island that’s let’s say level 10, but every time you level up, t goes up a level. This makes it a pain in the arse because there’s nowhere you ever feel like you can go in and be a boss... I hate that. That’s not what I like about levelling.

There is always a cap (at least there is one at really high levels) so you can always go a bit higher than them. Also the skills you unlock negate this feeling.

For the Merceneries (the hunter system or Bounty hunters) you need to kill Merceneries on higher tier than you to move tiers. You scan them with Icaros. Taking them out with out killing them gives you Mercenerie clues, for Mercs on your tier or higher.

Last edited:
This game opens up way faster than Origins.

Looks like they nuked the bows. I have a hard time adjusting to the new archery. Had fun playing Archer's Creed in Egypt, now I'm going for a warrior build... But dropping the shields was a mistake. How am I supposed to live out my 300 fantasies without one?! At least the Sparta kick works like in the movie. Best kick since Dark Messiah.

Sonny Black

but at least his post are argumented

"The dialog options are laughable and pointless. They add nothing and can be jarring"
"The story is crap so far: Apparently your character just do what he is told, in a videogamey way. "Hey, stranger I never met before, why don't you go to the that dangerous place kill some people for me?"

he's open to debate

"dialog options can change ENTIRELY the outcomes of quests / sidequests, and in turn it completely changes outcomes in the game world. For example you can have 3 different endings to a minor quest in the prologue island and what happens after can snowball to the worse possible outcome"

"Hahaha. Yes, so far you can choose not doing the mission or doing mission."

If your opinion is not supported by (concrete) facts, or if your argument linking the facts to your (inferred) conclusion (opinion) is logically unsound or otherwise unreasonable, then it is invalid.

Last edited:
I’m about 25 hours or so into the game, and I’ve JUST got on the boat for the second time and reached the second dock. I’m now a few XP away from level 19.

This is because I’m playing the game. I’m actually exploring the world, doing side quests and playing. I’ve not hit any brick walls yet, with the exception of that one area on the first land mass that’s far too high level for me (about 35?)

- I still have zero idea how this hunter system works. I have killed shit loads but when I check the menu I only seem to have a couple killed. I would have thought you kill them, and they get removed from the tier, and you next get harder ones... but I’ve still got loads missing from the first tier? Makes no sense to me. Maybe I’m thinking of it wrong?

- There’s not enough hours in the day to play :(

Welcome to a generation of full price AA games that want to make you grind and pay like it's a F2P...

makaveli60

I highly disagree with all his other comments though. I don't really care that the VA languages are in english. They speak the way most greeks use the english language so it's fine and it actually feels realistic, (yes we sound that funny like a parody as he points out on real life) it's a game based on fiction, half of the stuff are not realistic or are not correct for the period the game takes place. Alexios and Kassandra as names never existed that period, same with Barnabas, Phokis and many others. I don't think it's an insult as he points out in one of his answers and i'm saying that as a Greek.

Also i would like him to patch his game before starting pointing problems in the works of other studios, because while i'm having fun with Kingdom Come, i have to close it every few hours because texture problems start happening.
Well, if Greeks really speak English like that then great, they nailed it. But it really feels like a parody, and I don't mean to insult any Greeks by saying that. I would have preferred actual Greek, shame that its not among the language options. But that's just one thing I don't like. I hope I will start to like it more, I will definitely play it through.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The game has received a new patch. I checked it out and it's probably my imagination, but animals now seem far tougher. Boars in particular seemed far more aggressive and were doing much more damage.

Like I said, it could be my imagination, but it seemed noticeable when I was grinding for leather.

Well, if Greeks really speak English like that then great, they nailed it. But it really feels like a parody, and I don't mean to insult any Greeks by saying that. I would have preferred actual Greek, shame that its not among the language options. But that's just one thing I don't like. I hope I will start to like it more, I will definitely play it through.

No it's not insult don't worry, i know how you mean it, we aren't the best english speakers. Check youtube for our prime minister Tsipras to get an idea how most people speak. The problem is that actual Greek would be akward aswell because it's ancient greece. I don't mind they way they did it.

makaveli60

No it's not insult don't worry, i know how you mean it, we aren't the best english speakers. Check youtube for our prime minister Tsipras to get an idea how most people speak. The problem is that actual Greek would be akward aswell because it's ancient greece. I don't mind they way they did it.
Yeah, I can imagine it would be awkward for you, but it would be ok for me since I don't speak Greek at all.

Thiagosc777

Thiagosc777 is that you?

https://www.trueachievements.com/game/Assassins-Creed-Odyssey/achievements?gamerid=530688

Because if you haven't even finished Episode 3 i don't really know how are you making all those assumptions for the game. You haven't even scratched the surface.

Yes, that's me. I stopped playing in chapter 3. I have played for around 10 hours, this is more than enough to discover the games mechanics and decide if it is worth playing it or not. Conclusion: the game is garbage.

Just take a look at the rest of my achievement list and see what games I have completed and others I have played. That would give you an idea about what games are worth playing and what aren't.

Last edited:

Thiagosc777

This is because I’m playing the game. I’m actually exploring the world, doing side quests and playing.

Ok, you are grinding.

I’ve not hit any brick walls yet, with the exception of that one area on the first land mass that’s far too high level for me (about 35?)

If you only focused on the main missions, you'd be in an even worse situation.

This game was designed for microtransactions. This is a way of forcing you to grind and upgrade your gear.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
That’s not grinding. Grinding is when you keep doing the same thing over and over to get XP. I’m actually playing the game as intended, exploring and seeing the world. It’s not the same as grinding in let’s say dark souls, running from camp A to camp B getting XP then doing it again. At no point have I thought “I need to level up, I’ll keep doing this same thing”.

And if I focussed on the main missions? Who does that? Honestly? Who buys a massive open world game, only to play the main missions? Who plays Skyrim and even does the main mission? I didn’t even finish the main Skyrim questline until after hundreds of hours?

I think some people are expecting this to be like the old Creed games, and it’s just not. But even in those games, they had you doing a lot of open world type stuff.

sertopico

In fact I think the game is well balanced, I never had to do as many side mission as possible to level up and go on with the main quest. I did a few and then I was ready to progress. Everything felt natural and not forced, like in every other rpg (like) game I played.

So now basically this is the new mantra: You talk with NPCs? You are grinding. You walk around the game world and collect resources? You are grinding. You fight enemies and get treasures in forts and such? you are indeed grinding. Playing equals to grinding. Sorry but that doesn't mean anything at all. Thinking this way only makes everything frustrating and meaningless, I'm glad that I'm still able to enjoy a game as it is.

Yes, that's me. I stopped playing in chapter 3. I have played for around 10 hours, this is more than enough to discover the games mechanics and decide if it is worth playing it or not. Conclusion: the game is garbage.

Just take a look at the rest of my achievement list and see what games I have completed and others I have played. That would give you an idea about what games are worth playing and what aren't.
How many times do you feel it necessary to tell us your opinion on this game? You don't like it. We get it. Move on, please.

Arun1910

I'm loving the game so far, it's got loads of content.

It's not a grind, the game is meant for you to explore. I've been leveling fine, never had any reason to think of needing microtransactions. I don't even do every "?" icon, I just explore and play. I have 45 hours and I'm level 42 at the moment. The game is over the top, but fun. And it has a beautifully crafted world with a good loot/cult system.

You can get loads of materials dismantling gear. You can get loads of gear just looting enemies, let alone chests/from side missions/shops. Naval stuff and Side missions/Conquest battles also give you XP.

If you feel like you need Microtransactions then you most likely don't have the time to invest in the game and appreciate that this game is Huge and encourages exploration to level up and gain gear. It's not a game meant to be finished in 10 or even 20 hours.

Why? It's a precious contribution to the discussion.
It's incredibly tedious. It's gone past telling us he doesn't like the game to the point of almost trying to convince everyone else to share the same opinion he does.

I haven't even bought the game yet (I intend to at some point) and it's irritating.

Top Bottom