• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed: Origins - Hype Check

kc44135

Not even remotely interested in it. I was hoping this game could be a turning point for this series, but I'm not really seeing anything that fixes the series problems or pushes it forward in any meaningful way. Combat still looks like a boring, button mashing affair, with dull tacked-on RPG and crafting systems that every game has these days. Freerunning still seems clunky as hell. Stealth still looks basic and clumsy. Story still looks like an incredibly droll affair, and the setting doesn't do much for me. The open-world design seems to Ubisoft to a T, and I've more than had my fill of that. Meh, will wait for a sale, and pick it up for $20 or less. No recent AC has been worth more than that to me.

Ralemont

not me
It looks great but I'm not currently in a position to buy in on launch. Definitely excited to play it eventually though.

Aalvi

After Unity and mediocore syndicate.

I'm honestly not sure what people see in this new one.

I wouldn't mind being proven wrong though. I also think for most the story was an important factor which isn't as strong anymore.

StereoVsn

I am actually a bit Hyped up and would probably Day 1 this except... Mario! :) I will most likely grab the game on BF, the changes seem to be the best in years.... since Black Flag which I quite liked and which was by the same team.

Bizzquik

That YouTuber posted an event video saying an Ubisoft rep told him they were working on a 60fps mode for Xbox One X. That got me super-hyped.

Then Ubi didn't outright deny it, but certainly didn't tease anything promising, which deflated my hype again.

So my hype has gone from pre-ordering to play on Xbox One X for $60 on November 7th...to I'll buy a code down the road for PC for ~$20.

This is the first AC game I've been even moderately interested in since 2. Definitely not getting it for a while, but I'll keep my eye on it for sure.

Very excited to explore ancient Egypt. Combat looks kinda mediocre, unfortunately. If I had a Switch to play Mario, I probably would get this later down the line.

FirsthandInconsequentialAssassinbug.gif

FlawedAdventurousGiantschnauzer.gif

ActiveImpressiveGreatwhiteshark-max-14mb.gif

DistantLinedJumpingbean-max-14mb.gif

SpiritedUnknownHeron.gif

120v

i've never played an asscreed... somehow. but this game seems to hit the right notes. pretty excited to play it, not really sure if i want to prioritize it over Destiny 2 and wolfenstein but it'll probably make the way into my holiday queue

It's the first AssCreed since 2 that I'm interested in, mainly because it seems to be an RPG now. I like the setting too.

I'll have to prioritize Mario Odyssey though, too bad.

Betty

Banned
I don’t think it’s trying to be a return to form at all? If anything, the message the devs seem to be sending is that the aforementioned form was stagnating.

I just mean I'd like a story and characters that are interesting again.

So far the guy in Origins feels like the assassin in 3, all brooding and edgy with a boring personality and what little we've seen of the plot totally doesn't interest me.

Arcteryx

11/10. Haven't been this hyped for an AC game since...ever.

On top of this...I've got Wolfenstein the same day. That weekend is going to be ROUGH.

jett

D-Member
Very small. I think my interest in this franchise died down with the previous generation. I'm also really growing out of the whole AAA open world game design, most of these games seem to offer roughly the same experience in a different dressing.

Based on what I've seen, this game simultaneously makes big changes and yet not enough. Still looks like half-brained stealth mechanics coupled with another brand of unsatisfying combat.

Yeah, looking forward to it mainly for the environment and Egypt has always been fascinating to me. I enjoyed Unity and Syndicate on PC no issues. I wouldn't claim these are great games but I just enjoy roaming and climbing around older settings.

Draconian

I'm really excited for it, but there's too much coming out now and stuff I've already bought that I haven't finished yet. I'm gonna see if it's on sale on Black Friday.

witness

I was ready to get it but then I saw the animal hunting and I just can’t do it. Far Cry has the same effect on me unfortunately.

Lady Gaia

I am hopeful but not hyped. It looks promising, between the setting and investing an additional year in trying to make it stand out. I don’t have it preordered and will be looking for hands-on feedback from individuals post-launch while I play other games that are launching earlier this month and on the same day.

Iscariot

This doesn't look remotely in the same league as Wolf and Mario to me, and I have my doubts about the PC port. I'll maybe check it out in Feb or whenever it gets a good discount.

It's all about the Xbox One X version of this game for me. I simply can't wait to get my hands on it.

Tap X button to kill while other enemy is just watching?

I can say from playing this game quite a bit at E3, enemies don't just stand around doing nothing as you fight. They don't wait, they will gang up on you. Not sure about this particular instance, but they are pretty damn good about attacking simultaneously and forcing the player to perform one or two quick attacks before having to dodge and create some distance by running.

Just waiting on playable past assassin missions being confirmed. I bit too early with Unity in that regard. Thought that one "menu screen" was legit lol.

Toni

Also pretty much sold on this combat.
vJ6ISC2.gif

Yeah thats not really a legit representative of good combat.

Especially with that Skyrim-esque ending animation on the last enemy standing.

Origins is trying to encapsulate an Action Rpg right?.

Give me Dragon's Dogma tier gameplay and Horizon style archery and I'm good.

Kaversmed

Not even remotely interested in it. I was hoping this game could be a turning point for this series, but I'm not really seeing anything that fixes the series problems or pushes it forward in any meaningful way. Combat still looks like a boring, button mashing affair, with dull tacked-on RPG and crafting systems that every game has these days. Freerunning still seems clunky as hell. Stealth still looks basic and clumsy. Story still looks like an incredibly droll affair, and the setting doesn't do much for me. The open-world design seems to Ubisoft to a T, and I've more than had my fill of that. Meh, will wait for a sale, and pick it up for $20 or less. No recent AC has been worth more than that to me.

This is exactly how I feel. No hype :(

everyer

I'm super hype because I'm crazy for Egypt!!!

BTW...

all the gears look like can be updated for 10 levels and each level need 20+ different materials...

you need to hunt for the materials for a long long journey..

35yPFgg.png

Jumeira

Banned
Buying on X Nov 7th. Or perhaps a day earlier so i can download it on my external HDD + assets.

Expecting it to score high 80s.

Have to say that the combat doesn't look that appealing to me but I don't think any Assassin's Creed game has had great combat. I kinda wish they'd leaned more into the stealth/assassin side of combat and had less hand to hand stuff.

I'm really excited for it. Still have my concerns with the combat but I've become much more interested in the melee system after replaying some Unity and Syndicate and the combat was just so dull. And I tend to like the Arkham-style attack/counter style that the games have been doing since AC3. But the weapons you equipped didn't matter at all, the fighting was such a slog. The new system in Origins looks fresh and exciting for the series. I still think AC3's was the most thrilling and satisfying but this one looks engaging and like it has sole nuance

The combat is my biggest worry. Is there a counter/execution system in Origins? All the combat footage I've seen reminds me of Witcher 3's combat.

Also pretty much sold on this combat.
vJ6ISC2.gif

Ehhh... That just isnt for me :/ Are multi/combo take downs gone?

0racle

I need some PS4 pro gameplay, as well as the PC port before I get too hyped. I am not sure what platform to jump in on.

Very little Hype from me. After playing, enjoying and finishing AC 1, 2, Bro, 3 and 4 I did not finish Unity or Syndicate or Rogue or indeed Revelations now I come to think on it. Nor Liberations.

So I am an early AC fan it seems. If the reviews come out and say it's like 2 and Brotherhood and this from 1 but better and these things from 3 but better etc etc I will look into it. Otherwise I am waiting for a sale to try it.

Papacheeks

Banned
That drive by tho.

Not a drive by if there was already a thread and many threads about this game and other's having MT's/Loot Crates in single player games on top of DLC/Season passes.

I don't support that shit, so there for unfortunate Assassins Creed:eek:rigins will not be bought.

I for one would rather put my money into other Single player games such as Wolfenstein, Mario Odysessy, Yakuza series or even Horizon:ZD DLC than support a game that puts those in a game that has no bearing being in.

Top Bottom