• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Origins October Previews

We already know that
Bayek has a son
so maybe it's someone else of that nature.

Wait what? That makes no sense unless we play the
son
in forward flashes. Or does the Animus not give a damn and has no restrictions of what genetic memory it can examine, including past when the descendant is born?

sjay1994

son
in forward flashes. Or does the Animus not give a damn and has no restrictions of what genetic memory it can examine, including past when the descendant is born?

Yeah this seems iffy.

If Ba Yek's son was born before the events of the game, then how are we following him? Since the memory ends as genes are passed on (as seen with the Altair sequence in AC2)

MikeBison

Why is almost nobody playing this game stealthily?

I mean ok I get it combat is reworked from the ground up and resembles an rpg now, but seriously can someone play the game as an assassin for a change? All I see is people playing as if you are some kind of gladiator.

I feel like the focus in most of the videos i've seen are silent bow headshots. So, stealth is still totally viable.

sjay1994

Where exactly does info about son come from?

The side quest involving the stone structures and the stars mentions "Ba Yek keeping a promise to his son" in it's description.

So, I am not sure how this works given the animus's constraints. Unless the animus is upgraded here, or the son is adopted.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
son
Think it's the same thing as when the animus needed a specific descendant in order to access memories. No longer a constraint due to modern tech. EDIT:Apparently that is
Aya.

Alastor3

WVWXREiV6HE.jpg
They announced a sequel comic book.

what's wrong with her hair...

Larkoz

son

You know people can have several children :p

In this instance Bayek will have another child later on (I suspect Amunet).

SomTervo

Why is almost nobody playing this game stealthily?

I mean ok I get it combat is reworked from the ground up and resembles an rpg now, but seriously can someone play the game as an assassin for a change? All I see is people playing as if you are some kind of gladiator.

There's a streamer who plays all stealth. IIRC it looks pretty good. Can't remember who he is.

what's wrong with her hair...

The wind, perhaps?

Perhaps I'm seeing things that aren't there and hoping for features, but does this have a Nemesis style system? I saw a few guards with ranks and a mob that seemed to have been 'promoted'.

SomTervo

Perhaps I'm seeing things that aren't there and hoping for features, but does this have a Nemesis style system? I saw a few guards with ranks and a mob that seemed to have been 'promoted'.

Don't think so. It's just a rank with certain special enemies (ala an RPG). Their rank/special status might be represented by an actual rank image (so it looks like 'promotion' iconography).

Any words on microtransactions or loot boxes? How was it in the previous games?

Haven't played AC since Black Flag.

Yeah they will eat there under something called helix, probably get you some kinda of experience bonuses.

Also everyone is right I forgot humans can have multiple children, which means multiple lines of lineage...

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I can't figure it out either. It seems to be curling upwards for no discernible reason.
The way the cloth is illustrated seems to imply that it's windy.

Any words on microtransactions or loot boxes? How was it in the previous games?

Haven't played AC since Black Flag.
Since the game is focused on loot and exploration there's probably an option for boring people who want to not experience the point of the game and become OP really quick, likely in the form of loot boxes that give you loot that scales to your level and exp boosts, on top of other stuff like cosmetics.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
The more videos I watch, the more hyped im getting for Origins. I think the game will be good and im expecting it to at the very least be my third best AC game. I have completed five AC games and have them as follows -

1. Rogue (9.5/10, my 2014 goty)
2. Black Flag (9/10)
3. Syndicate (8.5/10)
4. Unity (8.0/10)
5. Liberation HD (7.0/10)

I'm expecting Origins to surpass Syndicate and possibly match Black Flag but not even come close to matching Rogue for me personally. Either way, im definitely hyped and looking forward to playing the game and for $38 GCU at Best Buy, I can't go wrong.

1. Rogue (9.5/10, my 2014 goty)

I'm expecting Origins to surpass Syndicate and possibly match Black Flag but not even come close to matching Rogue for me personally.

What??

I've never played Rogue (only mainline AC game I haven't played), but what the hell makes it THAT good in your eyes? It got really mediocre reviews, so I'm genuinely curious.

My personal series ranking

1. Assassin's Creed 2 (9/10)
2. Brotherhood (8.8/10)
3. Black Flag (8.7/10)
4. Unity (8.5/10)
5. Revelations (8.3/10)
6. Syndicate (8/10)
7. AC3 (7.7/10)
8. Assassin's Creed (7.5/10)

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
What??

I've never played Rogue (only mainline AC game I haven't played), but what the hell makes it THAT good in your eyes? It got really mediocre reviews, so I'm genuinely curious.

My personal series ranking

1. Assassin's Creed 2 (9/10)
2. Brotherhood (8.8/10)
3. Black Flag (8.7/10)
4. Unity (8.5/10)
5. Revelations (8.3/10)
6. Syndicate (8/10)
7. AC3 (7.7/10)
8. Assassin's Creed (7.5/10)

Rogue is basically a superior version of Black Flag but instead of it being summer and cheerful, it's cold, snowy and dark in terms of atmosphere and whatnot. Rogue condensed the story to seven sequences to where you start as an Assassin but then turn into a Templar. I would have preferred an eighth sequence because it was kind of even in regards to how many missions you play as an Assassin/Templar.

Three maps all with the same stuff that was in Black Flag but with no underwater areas because you would freeze and your health would diminish. The naval combat was pretty much identical to Black Flag but with a few weapon changes and I loved the naval combat in BF/Rogue (on a side note, im so disappointed with Skull & Bones) so the slight changes and whatnot made it even more fun.

I fully enjoyed the story and characters. It's also connected to AC Unity but they fucked it up in Unity. I'm not going to say how since it would be a major spoiler. Music, sound effects and voice acting were all good. Visuals looked good. Gameplay was similar to Black Flag and was better than Unity/Syndicate in my opinion because of the control scheme and changes made in Unity/Syndicate. I easily prefer the older style.

The main aspect that made me love the game more than Black Flag was that it eliminated what I hated the most in Black Flag - eavesdropping missions. I can deal with tailing missions but eavesdropping missions are a hell no. Literally hated them.

So in summary, since I loved everything about BF, they eliminated the shit I hated, made the game connected to Unity (which fucked it up), gave me a excellent character that I liked playing as, kept all the naval combat, upgrading, forts, treasures, etc. intact with a very good story and set of side characters in addition to game looking great on Xbox 360, all the audio was good and the gameplay for me was fun.

BF was my first true AC game that I played to completion. I tried AC III the month before BF came out but quit during sequence four when there was a tutorial about hunting or some crap. I was so bored that I quit the game and just waited for BF. I also pre-ordered the season pass for BF (my first ever season pass and one of the few that I have purchased) because I was fully sold on the game due to the Caribbean setting and the naval combat. Looked so great and so much fun.

Rogue basically does what BF did, eliminated the shit I hated and condensed the story which made it better because it didn't drag or was padded. And Rogue had that mini naval menu battles where you have to get supplies and travel routes but it was a menu based mini game. Think is was called Shay's fleet or something like that. Put a decent amount of time into this but didn't complete it.

At the end of the day, I simply loved and enjoyed Rogue from beginning to end and yes, I fully completed everything 100% except the fleet mini game.

Rogue is basically a superior version of Black Flag but instead of it being summer and cheerful, it's cold, snowy and dark in terms of atmosphere and whatnot. Rogue condensed the story to seven sequences to where you start as an Assassin but then turn into a Templar. I would have preferred an eighth sequence because it was kind of even in regards to how many missions you play as an Assassin/Templar.

Three maps all with the same stuff that was in Black Flag but with no underwater areas because you would freeze and your health would diminish. The naval combat was pretty much identical to Black Flag but with a few weapon changes and I loved the naval combat in BF/Rogue (on a side note, im so disappointed with Skull & Bones) so the slight changes and whatnot made it even more fun.

I fully enjoyed the story and characters. It's also connected to AC Unity but they fucked it up in Unity. I'm not going to say how since it would be a major spoiler. Music, sound effects and voice acting were all good. Visuals looked good. Gameplay was similar to Black Flag and was better than Unity/Syndicate in my opinion because of the control scheme and changes made in Unity/Syndicate. I easily prefer the older style.

The main aspect that made me love the game more than Black Flag was that it eliminated what I hated the most in Black Flag - eavesdropping missions. I can deal with tailing missions but eavesdropping missions are a hell no. Literally hated them.

So in summary, since I loved everything about BF, they eliminated the shit I hated, made the game connected to Unity (which fucked it up), gave me a excellent character that I liked playing as, kept all the naval combat, upgrading, forts, treasures, etc. intact with a very good story and set of side characters in addition to game looking great on Xbox 360, all the audio was good and the gameplay for me was fun.

BF was my first true AC game that I played to completion. I tried AC III the month before BF came out but quit during sequence four when there was a tutorial about hunting or some crap. I was so bored that I quit the game and just waited for BF. I also pre-ordered the season pass for BF (my first ever season pass and one of the few that I have purchased) because I was fully sold on the game due to the Caribbean setting and the naval combat. Looked so great and so much fun.

Rogue basically does what BF did, eliminated the shit I hated and condensed the story which made it better because it didn't drag or was padded. And Rogue had that mini naval menu battles where you have to get supplies and travel routes but it was a menu based mini game. Think is was called Shay's fleet or something like that. Put a decent amount of time into this but didn't complete it.

At the end of the day, I simply loved and enjoyed Rogue from beginning to end and yes, I fully completed everything 100% except the fleet mini game.

Thanks for the thorough explanation! You have me intrigued and tempted to pick it up on Xbox. Do you know if it's backwards compatible? I'd bite if it goes on sale for $5-$10.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the thorough explanation! You have me intrigued and tempted to pick it up on Xbox. Do you know if it's backwards compatible? I'd bite if it goes on sale for $5-$10.

You're welcome and yes, it is. I know because I bought it a few months ago digitally so I can play it on Xbox One. It cost me $12. I originally played Rogue when it launched in 2014. Can't forget because I bought Rogue/Unity/FC4 all on the same day. Played Rogue first and Unity last.

Love the setting, and i’m cautiously optimistic about the combat changes, so yeah, i’m looking forward to this one.

Can’t wait to explore Egypt.

Very cool to see how people are different when it comes to their fav game in the series. For me, Rogue was just a cash grab tbh. It was a very short game, didn't feel like they used the world that they built, rarely visited New York even during the missions and most of the other places were just forts in the sea. Didn't feel that the actions of the story were fully justified.
Achilles is very very different from AC3 and his actions along with the assassins order just made no sense
Felt like the ending was very forced to connect Rogue to Unity, and what baffled me more is how in Unity they didn't even mention anything related to Shay or why he was in Paris. Music was a meh for me, nothing really special.( Nothing really will be after Jesper Kyd) Never really considered Rogue to be a mainline AC. I'll admit that it's still better than AC3 though.

Also, I really never liked the "One big city" approach. Always hated it to death, that's why I have major gripes with Brotherhood, Revelations, Unity and Syndicate.Felt that they lack lots of variety.

For me, my personal rankings of the games has to be:

1. Assassin's Creed 2 (10/10) top 10 games of all time
2.Black Flag (9/10) Very fun and additive game with a slightly disappointing main story.
3. Brotherhood (8.5/10) Felt like a big expansion but it was fun and the gameplay was improved. The only reason I rank it above the first Assassin's creed is because of the awesome modern day.
4.Assassin's Creed (8/10) The atmosphere, the cities, the music it's just so nostalgic and the story was actually awesome.
5. Unity (7.5/10) This could've replaced brotherhood for me if it weren't for the utter trash modern day.
6. Revelations (7/10) Felt like it was unnecessary, but the story was fun and the altair sections were awesome.
7. Assassin's Creed 3 (5/10) The absolute worst AC, utter trash cities that all felt the same (and they were god awful at traversing and parkouring), 10 hours tutorial, disappointing mission design (still can't get over those big battles and how bad they were), no ambient music, connor was boring, awful side missions, disgusting ending, almost everything was just bad about this game, although the modern day missions were kinda fun. I was so hyped for this game, it almost killed AC for me.

Stiler

For me AC3 was one of my favorite AC games.

The series felt like it was getting stale to me and AC3 was a breath of fresh air. I absolutely LOVED the setting and the more rural areas. It gave us the best combat in the series (which still hasn't been done better in any of the AC games that followed, especially for fighting multiple enemies). It also gave us amazing naval areas/water physics that led to Black Flag.

Sure Conor wasn't as "interesting" as Ezio (who had three games to build up) but for me the gameplay trumped his shorcomings.

I'd go:

AC2
AC3
Black Flag
Brotherhood
AC1
Syndicate
Revelations
Unity
Rogue

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Very cool to see how people are different when it comes to their fav game in the series. For me, Rogue was just a cash grab tbh. It was a very short game, didn't feel like they used the world that they built, rarely visited New York even during the missions and most of the other places were just forts in the sea. Didn't feel that the actions of the story were fully justified.
Achilles is very very different from AC3 and his actions along with the assassins order just made no sense
Felt like the ending was very forced to connect Rogue to Unity, and what baffled me more is how in Unity they didn't even mention anything related to Shay or why he was in Paris. Music was a meh for me, nothing really special.( Nothing really will be after Jesper Kyd) Never really considered Rogue to be a mainline AC. I'll admit that it's still better than AC3 though.

Also, I really never liked the "One big city" approach. Always hated it to death, that's why I have major gripes with Brotherhood, Revelations, Unity and Syndicate.Felt that they lack lots of variety.

For me, my personal rankings of the games has to be:

1. Assassin's Creed 2 (10/10) top 10 games of all time
2.Black Flag (9/10) Very fun and additive game with a slightly disappointing main story.
3. Brotherhood (8.5/10) Felt like a big expansion but it was fun and the gameplay was improved. The only reason I rank it above the first Assassin's creed is because of the awesome modern day.
4.Assassin's Creed (8/10) The atmosphere, the cities, the music it's just so nostalgic and the story was actually awesome.
5. Unity (7.5/10) This could've replaced brotherhood for me if it weren't for the utter trash modern day.
6. Revelations (7/10) Felt like it was unnecessary, but the story was fun and the altair sections were awesome.
7. Assassin's Creed 3 (5/10) The absolute worst AC, utter trash cities that all felt the same (and they were god awful at traversing and parkouring), 10 hours tutorial, disappointing mission design (still can't get over those big battles and how bad they were), no ambient music, connor was boring, awful side missions, disgusting ending, almost everything was just bad about this game, although the modern day missions were kinda fun. I was so hyped for this game, it almost killed AC for me.

If anything, I saw Unity as the cash grab. It had way too many bugs, glitches and problems at launch where as Rogue's problems were minimal at worst. I never had any problems with Rogue at all when I played it at launch. I didn't play Unity until a few months after launch once it was patched and I had a few problems but they were minor and not game breaking. And like I said, Unity fucked up the connection to Rogue.

Unity had the far bigger budget, bigger team and was a letdown at launch where as Rogue was developed by Ubisoft Sofia and did a better job in my opinion. Unity only wins in visuals but that's it. Everything else is inferior to me.

One thing I'll never understand is those who liked/loved Black Flag but dislike Rogue. Unless you dislike/hate the naval battles, I don't see how anyone can like one but hate the other. Makes no sense to me since they're somewhat connected to Rogue. I loved Black Flag but a few things turned me off where as Rogue kept everything I loved about Black Flag and eliminated the crap I hated.

As for one city/map argument, it depends on the structure of it. I don't want three maps/cities if they're underused or empty/boring. Rogue uses the three maps to perfection as every area is used in one way or another. While a completely different franchise and genre, Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 has three maps and there's really no point or purpose to it.

I enjoyed Syndicate more than Unity and loved the "district" setup as well as it being a pure single player game. It redeemed AC after Unity for me because I barely did anything in Unity outside of the main story where as I did 100% in Syndicate.

Back to Rogue, I just loved it because it gave me what I loved in Black Flag and eliminated the crap I hated. While the story was shorter, it was better than BF, Unity and Syndicate in my opinion especially since you see/play it from a Templar point of view.

As for past AC games, I did play AC 2 but quit halfway through the main story. I hated the control scheme and just wasn't into it but in fairness, it was after I played Black Flag and just didn't really get into it especially when Rogue was a few months away. In fairness though, I realize that it's not good to go back to previous games in a franchise/series unless you actually start with them simply because it feels outdated and just meh compared to the current games. I know AC 2 is great but for me, not so much.

As for Origins, there's a few things that really irk but I have been watching gameplay videos these last few days from centerstrain and it looks real good but I see it having problems at launch. I'll be pre-ordering it but won't play it until December or January because I have other games ahead of it that I want to play through. A lot of stuff in Origins appeals to me but it's going to come down to the combat when playing (as opposed to watching it) and the options/settings for the HUD, control scheme, etc.

Just have to wait and see how Origins stacks up for me in comparison to Rogue and Black Flag which are my top two.

Oh, we are doing a ranking? Mine is:

Ac4
Ac2
Brotherhood
Unity
Syndicate
Ac3
Ac1
AcRevelations

I never played Rogue and Liberations, so I can't rank them.

KillLaCam

Banned
AC2
AC Brotherhood
AC4 Black Flag
AC Unity
AC Revelations
AC1
AC3
AC Syndicate

Syndicate was probably a decent game. The setting was just the least interesting setting possible for me.

Unity is kinda high for me because I had alot of fun playing multiplayer with my roommates

Syndicate
Brotherhood
Black Flag
Revelations
Unity

After returning to Syndicate for the DLC recently I finally moved it up to #1. Awesome damn game.

I like how people forget Rogue :p Probably for the best tbh.

AC: Brotherhood
AC IV: Black Flag
AC: Syndicate
ACIII
AC: Rogue
AC II
AC: Unity
AC1
AC: Revelations

GeoramA

Brotherhood
Black Flag
AC2
Syndicate

The rest are mediocre at best. AC3 is one of the biggest disappointments of all time.

Altairre

Alright, let's do this.

AC: Brotherhood (8/10)
AC: Revelations (7.5/10)
AC2 (7/10)
AC: Syndicate (7/10)
AC3 (6/10)
Assassin's Creed (6/10)
AC: Black Flag (5/10)
AC: Unity (5/10)

Haven't played Rogue and don't intend to since I didn't like Black Flag.

Brotherhood
Chronicles trilogy

are my favorites. The rest either feel too samey or too mediocre

But I do like the settings in all the games. That’s the one area where the series has always excelled

Top Bottom