• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed Origins |OT| A Far Cry From Historical Fact

Seyfert

combat feel very weird to me. it use R1 to attack just like Dark Souls but press X doesn't doge like Dark Souls. It will be a while to be able to get use to this combat system. and for some reason I must press R1+R2 to use adremaline gauge which is super uncomfortable to press.

On PS4 Pro graphic looks great but framerate is pretty disappointing. I think I will return to this later when HDR patch in. so far it is a little bit disappoint for me.

Bonus point: I love photo sharing online system that they happen to include in the map. cool sutff to see what people screenshot.

Hexer06

Thats my excuse also. :D

I'm gonna be playing more than I wanted to lol. Thinking I'll record some clips and then compare to the X. Just watching 4k videos from gamersyde was enough to tell an immediate difference. I am playing on a 4k TV tho.

Only a few hours in, but boy am I loving the game. Enjoying it waaaaaay more than I thought I would.

It's giving me vibes along the lines of MGSV, Witcher 3, and Batman Arkham City, which are all games I love.

norm9

Got my reserved copy from the local redbox. And it's an actual copy of the game instead of a paper sticker.

Too bad the educational mode isn't out yet. I'm hoping it isn't too large an update. Based on previous updates by Ubi, I'm not holding my breath.

Is anyone else finding the combat controls (pc, xb1 controller) to be really uncomfortable?

The combat has been hit or miss for me. The controls are taking a while to get set in muscle memory so I keep hitting the wrong things and it has punished me a few times for it. I feel like I’m getting down a bit more now.

Dubz

Just started and I can't figure out how to get off my camel....lol.. please help?

PS4 secondary controls.

Drewfonse

Big fan of the series, even finished unity, but the first hour of this has not grabbed me at all. The controls don't feel right yet and the ai animations can be really awkward. Hoping I take a shine to it a bit more once it opens up though.

First hour was terribly boring, it gets better.

combat feel very weird to me. it use R1 to attack just like Dark Souls but press X doesn't doge like Dark Souls. It will be a while to be able to get use to this combat system. and for some reason I must press R1+R2 to use adremaline gauge which is super uncomfortable to press.

On PS4 Pro graphic looks great but framerate is pretty disappointing. I think I will return to this later when HDR patch in. so far it is a little bit disappoint for me.

Bonus point: I love photo sharing online system that they happen to include in the map. cool sutff to see what people screenshot.

Dodge is the square button.

Composer

Use the alternate control scheme, it's more sensible for combat.

norm9

Reading there's no information database or notification when hitting new locations, landmarks, people, objects. That's unacceptable.

Half the fun of the previous ones were the info dumps about where you were and what you were interacting with.

Getting hosed by Amazon Canada, was one of my games from e3 deals they have. Check out the order today. Est shipping Nov. 3rd-9th what the hell man. Used to be getting games on release day or day after at the latest.

SJRB

Gold Member
Sheesh, entering Alexandria for the first time is something else.

Visually incredible, as usual. The whole game has so much attention to detail. Ubi's level design team nailed it again.

This gm is fkn amazing..gorgeous vistas, art design is through the roof haven't seen anything this beautiful before..exploring Egypt is worth one of the GOTY awards alone.

TitusTroy

most of the reviews I've read says it's a decent game but pretty much more of the same...once again the star is the gorgeously detailed Egyptian setting while gameplay has been tweaked somewhat but still same ole Assassin's Creed...not really a major step forward and worthy of the 1 year hiatus

gossi

most of the reviews I've read says it's a decent game but pretty much more of the same...once again the star is the gorgeously detailed Egyptian setting while gameplay has been tweaked somewhat but still same ole Assassin's Creed...not really a major step forward and worthy of the 1 year hiatus

Aside from being a completely new engine where NPCs have routines and jobs, there's side quests, main quests, misc quests, online quests, there's a full RPG system with skill trees and items with different classes (e.g. lots of bows with bonuses etc), looting, crafting etc etc.

TitusTroy

Aside from being a completely new engine where NPCs have routines and jobs, there's side quests, main quests, misc quests, online quests, there's a full RPG system with skill trees and items with different classes (e.g. lots of bows with bonuses etc), looting, crafting etc etc.

it's not a new engine...it's still using the same AnvilNext 2 engine used since Unity

Fonds

Holy shit, came homr and played for 7 hours straight.

This game is sizzling.
Its just drawn me in from the start. Story started a bit wonky but redeemed itself quickly.
The combat is fun and weapon variety is a breath of fresh air.
Also really digging the progression system.

It all feels a bit like darksiders 2 in the best possible way.

TitusTroy

But you said "it's more of the same", which I'd argue it isn't.

I quoted the other poster who said it was a 'completely new engine' which it is not...what exactly is so different?...there's always a few tweaks but overall this is not some revolutionary upgrade from Syndicate or any of the other AC games...the star as always is the setting- Egypt...Ubisoft always does an amazing job with their time period setting...this is a fantastic tourism simulator for ancient Egypt

HenryEen

Banned

Most of reviews I read said that the game actually loses it's AC identity and now closer to other big ARPG like The Witcher 3 and Horizon. Among other things, the quest are now like those titles (talk to NPC, gets some story and dialogue, then do layered task) instead of old AC (pick an icon, and do same activities without any story involved)

Maybe someone that already played the game can confirm it ?

TitusTroy

Most of reviews I read said that the game actually loses it's AC identity and now closer to other big ARPG like The Witcher 3 and Horizon. Among other things, the quest are now like those titles (talk to NPC, gets some story and dialogue, then do layered task) instead of old AC (pick an icon, and do same activities without any story involved)

show me some reviews that compared this game to Witcher 3 or Horizon Zero Dawn...

Alebelly

Yeah, they've done a good job making your activities have context to the character and the world, it does feel modernized. Its a better game than I thought it would be, I like it a lot.

Klocker

Man even on Xbox s, the lighting without HdR and graphics are great and the traversal is really well done.

Game feels and looks great

Peroroncino

Not even close to the depth of Witcher's quests but more in line with Horizon for sure, still busywork though, but at least you get some context and a reason for doing them.

Unity2012

The game feels different to me, in a good way. Yes, it is Assassins Creed but there are enough changes to make one feel like we are playing an improved version of AC2 rather than Syndicate or Unity, which to me were very similar, beautiful to look at but hard to be excited about it after a few missions.

The environments alone give you a sense of "wanting to explore and adventure," and not let me see where's the new building or street for my next kill. Speaking of "kills" everything in this world wants to kill you, especially when one ventures out at night. Enemies and animals are more aggressive and the combat system takes a bit to master but it is much better than previous games. I am actually really enjoying it.

I have barely left the first area, after about 4hrs, and there are a lot more things to do and places I want to explore. Definitely gives "me," a Witcher 3 vibe because the world it's interesting, big and dynamic--The W3 is still a deeper game in many levels. The stealth sections in ACO definitely reminds me of Horizon and UC4 where hiding-crouching around bushes is a great way to avoid enemies or to attack them. I've died a few times for underestimating the enemy strength vs mine at the current level.

Perfect? No, but a beautifully rendered interesting game so far, easy to sink hundreds of hours of pure fun. And... did I mention my mount is a Unicorn? Yeah... lol. I'm having a blast and just starting to get familiar with the improvements.

j8jHDPf.png

Faenix1

If I'm coming from Syndicate directly to Origins will I find it tedious and "more of the same"?

Made the mistake of playing Syndicate directly after Unity. Despite my love for the setting it felt like I was playing more Unity. I forgot you don't play this series back to back.. lol

Peroroncino

If I'm coming from Syndicate directly to Origins will I find it tedious and "more of the same"?

Made the mistake of playing Syndicate directly after Unity. Despite my love for the setting it felt like I was playing more Unity. I forgot you don't play this series back to back.. lol

I hated Unity, but I most certainly love Origins, didn't play Syndicate unfortunately but I can at least tell you that this plays way better than Unity ever did.

RPGCrazied

Loving the game, but they could really release another patch to smooth the framerate on base PS4. I watched the digital foundry for it, it got as low as 18fps in cutscenes. Thats unacceptable. Cutscenes definitely feel janky.

Other then the framerate issues it looks great, draw distance is good and so is their AA methods they use.

Top Bottom