• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed Origins |OT| A Far Cry From Historical Fact

ShapeGSX

I pre-ordered the game (Digital Deluxe) for Xbox One from Best Buy, and I'm missing the Secrets of the First Pyramids bonus mission. It was supposed to be delivered with the pre-order.

For people who pre-ordered the game, how did you get the bonus mission?

Did Best Buy or your retailer send you a code?

Or did Ubisoft?

Best Buy says that Ubisoft should have sent me a code. But I never got one.

So I opened a case with Ubisoft, but I'm not that hopeful about it.

RPGCrazied

Playing 1.05 now, they definitely did something to texture detail. I can see big differences in ground, sand textures. I want to say terrain distance is further now and less pop in, but the textures look bad most of the time. And still runs the same, really haven't seen any performance gains.

On a standard PS4.

chaosaeon

There is a rumor that installing straight from the box to 1.05 looks better than going from 1.04 to 1.05, but that it still doesn't look as good as 1.02 which was with the day one patch. So effectively you can delete the game, reinstall it and patch straight to 1.05 and it will look better than it does right now, but still looks worse than when the game launched. How does this stuff even happen. People were happier and asking to roll back to 1.02.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I'm gutted they've got rid of the beserk darts, used to love popping one of those off at a distance and watching the carnage, now you have to sneak up on someone - not the same if they're in a group of four or more.

Also, any reasoning why the cats follow me round or does that get explained later?

I pre-ordered the game (Digital Deluxe) for Xbox One from Best Buy, and I'm missing the Secrets of the First Pyramids bonus mission. It was supposed to be delivered with the pre-order.

Or did Ubisoft?

I have an extra code if you still need it.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

Or did Ubisoft?

I was missing the code too in the UK PS4 version.
Ubisoft said only Digital and Ubistore preorders get it when I contacted them but that's a load of BS, you and me have been played like a damn fiddle.

Kremzeek

I just got this yesterday, and played thru the "intro" and got to the 2nd area of the game.

I made the mistake of zooming the map all the way out and my jaw dropped- I did not expect it to be so big! Holy crap!

Granty666uk

What was the new update about which is @ 1.33GB prompted me to dl, anyone knows?

Patch Highlights

Ambush at Sea – The issue that caused for some save games to be corrupted was fixed and the mission is now available to players again
Note: The mission should reappear on the map after a reboot of your system. Be sure to be connected to the online services while starting the game.
Difficulty – Enemies of a lower level than the playable character are now more challenging in Hard Mode.
Beard/Hair Toggle
Selected preference of beard/hair will remain saved now
Added support for Keyboard and mouse controls
[Shift]+[Z] – Hair
[Ctrl] + [Z] - Beard
Performance and Stability improvements on all platforms

System
Improved performance and stability
Fixed some infinite loading and black screen hang
[PC] Fixed hardware performance metrics for Radeon R9 2xx series
[PC] Fixed several Ultra HD monitor, multi-monitor mode, and multi GPU mode issues
[PC] Fixed infinite saving occurring in Photo Mode when anti-aliasing option is Off

Graphics & Audio

Improved Sandstorm ending visual
Fixed some level of detail issues in the world and for some NPCs
Fixed an issue that could prevent the call mount whistle from playing
Fixed an issue that could cause music tracks to overlap
[Xbox One X][PS4] Revised the default Luminance value in the HDR settings
[PC] Temporarily deactivated spatial sound support to resolve issues with some USB headsets
[PC] Fixed the functionality of the Field Of View option during the Benchmark session

World

Improved appearance of the water in caves
Removed some invisible collision in Siwa
Fixed various issues with the spawning of boats
Fixed a lighting issue in the Sunken Temple of Sarapeion
Fixed some floating NPCs, floating rocks, and other floating objects
Fixed various texturing issues

Gameplay

The selected cheat option for Bayek’s hair and beard will now remain saved
Improved various animations on the playable character
Improved the navigation of the playable character
Improved shield stance behavior while on vehicles or mounts
Improved NPCs and animals reactions and navigation
Improved Raging Axe’s boss fight behavior in Arena
Improved spawning delay on loot bags when killing NPCs
Improved shield charge behavior
Improved Follow Road mode
Revised fire damage taken by the playable character
Revised poison propagation
Made enemies of lower level than the player more challenging in Hard Mode
Fixed some loading issues while using Senu
Fixed some issues preventing the playable character from interacting with loot bags
Fixed an issue that allowed thrown torches to inflict poison or bleed effect
Fixed spear fight animation against some enemies
Fixed an issue with loot bag spawning in shallow water
Fixed an issue preventing crocodiles from being damaged while in water
Fixed an issue with the activation of slow-motion
Fixed various issues causing the playable character to be stuck
Fixed some camera clipping issues
Fixed some issues preventing bows to automatically sheathe
Fixed an issue where counterweights could remain stuck on the ceiling in the Tomb of Sneferu
Fixed an issue that could prevent Overpower Chain Throw from being used
Fixed an issue that could prevent Chain Attack from dealing damage when a spear is equipped
Fixed an issue that could prevent the player from interacting with the entrance of “Eesfet Oon-m’Aa Poo”
Fixed issue preventing Senu’s perception range from being taken into account when loading a save game
[PC] Fixed movement issues in Walk mode

Quests

Improved various cinematic transitions
Fixed an issue that could corrupt the playable character’s inventory after completing “Ambush at Sea” quest
Fixed an issue that could prevent the player from completing quests after returning to the title screen
Fixed various issues causing Quest objectives to disappear after desynchronization
Fixed various issues with Flavius during ‘’The Final Weighing’’ quest
Fixed an issue where the objective would not update during ‘’The Hungry River’’ quest
Fixed an issue with Theodoros who could stay in midair during ‘’A Rebel Alliance’’ quest
Fixed an issue where leader’s health could be restored during ‘’Plight of the Rebels’’ quest
Fixed various issues with Pothinus’ elephant during ‘’Battle of the Nile’’ quest
Fixed an issue with Hotephres’ ship being sunk in gameplay and cinematic during ‘’The Crocodile’s Scales’’ quest
Fixed an issue where the Planetarium Tunnel could remain closed after performing a save/load action
Fixed an issue where the “Wild Ride” quest would fail when getting on a chariot or a cart
Fixed an issue where objectives in the ‘’The Flea of Cyrene’’ quest would not properly update after performing a leap of faith from the Apollo Temple
Fixed various issues with the fight against the war elephant Herwennefer
Fixed issues preventing the ancient tablets to be interacted with
Fixed an issue which allowed the playable character to keep the “The Battle of the Nile” quest spear
Fixed issue where Apollodorus could remain stuck in a wall during ‘’Egypt’s Medjay’’ quest
Fixed dialogues that would sometime be missing from the cinematics of “Playing with Fire” quest
Fixed an issue that could prevent Hypatos from attacking the playable character in the quest “Homecoming”
Fixed an issue that could make Septimus invisible during “The Final Weighing” quest
Fixed various issues with Thutmose during “Blood in the Water” quest
Fixed an issue preventing the player from completing the quest “Fall of an Empire, Rise of Another” because he spawned as Bayek

Activities

Improved the spawning of enemies in the Cyrene Arena
Fixed an issue preventing the unlockables completed as Aya from carrying over to Bayek
Fixed various issues causing the playable character to be pushed out of the chariot while in Hippodrome races
Fixed an issue where the playable character could remain stuck in the Arena ‘’lobby’’

User Interface

The selected Map filter will now remain saved
Added sound feedback when switching the editing modes during Photo Mode
Added button mapping for petting Senu in the alternate control scheme
mapped to specific keys
Improved image resolution of crafting items
Improved fire visual effects on animals
Changed health gain visual feedback to display in green when hitting enemies
Fixed Senu’s marked location for the Tomb of Khufu
Fixed various issues with icons in the Map
Fixed an issue where the Photo Mode HUD could not appear
Fixed HUD modules that stayed hidden changing HUD Preset to ‘Show All’
Fixed the suggested level of some quests
for some their owners
Fixed multiple typos in the menus
[PS4] Fixed the Season Pass and Deluxe Pack showing up as “Coming Soon” in the Store
[PC] Added mouse support for rotating the character in the Gear menu
[PC] Added mouse and keyboard support to toggle Bayek’s hair and beard in Gear menu
Hide Arena HUD while in Photo Mode
[PC] Allowed triggering Call Mount and Animus Pulse on button Press when they are

funcojoe

Some 4k hdr down sampled to 1080p.

qzEdKwQ.jpg

uBNE2KC.jpg

DGPhExH.jpg

Kremzeek

Some 4k hdr down sampled to 1080p.

qzEdKwQ.jpg

uBNE2KC.jpg

DGPhExH.jpg

How were you able to take photos in HDR mode and have them look "normal" when not viewed in HDR, which always looks yucky and desaturated?
All the photos I take in photo mode all look terrible because the game doesn't convert them to a non-HDR color space.

funcojoe

Just download the capture off the Xbox app to your phone and upload to imgur. The Xbox app displays a downsampled from 4k to 1080p non hdr image.

Looks like they pushed patch 1.05 to PC. There's already some upset threads on the steam forums about it.

Not a smart move, Ubi. Get ready for some Arkham Knight backlash.

Some quotes from the 1.05 patch notes thread on the steam forums for AC:O:

Horny Shrimp
2 hours ago
More stuttering, lower performance, more unstable... Now that is some serious patching Ubisoft !
Changing the resolution crashes the game... LMAO

DrewUK 2 hours ago
Yep same here. Tried several times but can't get 4K running now

Someone echoed my sentiments I had in this thread some days ago warning about pushing this patch to PC:

Originally posted by a_morse:
Hearing that the patch 1.04 was causing trouble on consoles and graphical downgrade, I thought (and hoped) Ubisoft would be more cautious releasing the patch 1.05; unfortunately this did not happen, and everything is yet worse with this patch 1.05: more stuttering, more CPU/GPU utilisation (whereas things got better with the patch 1.03 in those areas, at least for me) make me hope again that Ubisoft will release a patch 1.06 ASAP.

If you did not have yet install the patch 1.05 -lucky you- :) you should definitely stay with the 1.03 version, and wait for a (really) much better patch.

LOD/pop-in on PC:
Zmidponk has Assassin's Creed Origins 1 hour ago
I'm not getting it as bad as some of the other people here, but I'm definitely noticing some LOD pop-in when travelling around, and I am seeing shadows suddenly fade in at quite a close distance from me - this didn't happen before 1.05. I can only surmise Ubi are downgrading graphics to try to improve performance, but not really succeeding.

Ubisoft PC forums have some threads on it now as well:
https://forums.ubi.com/forumdisplay.php/1633-ACO-PC

markstuckert

Neo Member
Please permit me a short rant —

I was excited about this game, mostly because I heard it was Dark Souls-ish (to a degree) and that you could parry…

…but immediately I noticed that specific Ubisoft aiming lag — especially when aiming the bow etc.

Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Horizon etc. — every other game feels fine. Then I tried out Division, Ghost Recon Wildlands… they're all so laggy!

Am I crazy? I feel like I'm doing something wrong. I've switched TVs, PS4, PS4 Pro etc.

— thanks : - )

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Please permit me a short rant —

I was excited about this game, mostly because I heard it was Dark Souls-ish (to a degree) and that you could parry…

…but immediately I noticed that specific Ubisoft aiming lag — especially when aiming the bow etc.

Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Horizon etc. — every other game feels fine. Then I tried out Division, Ghost Recon Wildlands… they're all so laggy!

Am I crazy? I feel like I'm doing something wrong. I've switched TVs, PS4, PS4 Pro etc.

— thanks : - )
Must be you I just got Archer of the Month lol

isual

beat the game. just shy of level 40, but xp is at mid 39.

not gonna hit the soft cap as i want to wait for the level cap increase, and im saving all dem quests too, especially near yhe mountains.

never got to explore the southern desert area.

8/10 for me. maybe next game is greece or/and rome for a trilogy for this BC era.

but they did rome already with ezio...so theres that

Looks like they pushed patch 1.05 to PC. There's already some upset threads on the steam forums about it.

Not a smart move, Ubi. Get ready for some Arkham Knight backlash.

Some quotes from the 1.05 patch notes thread on the steam forums for AC:O:

Someone echoed my sentiments I had in this thread some days ago warning about pushing this patch to PC:

LOD/pop-in on PC:

Ubisoft PC forums have some threads on it now as well:
https://forums.ubi.com/forumdisplay.php/1633-ACO-PC

I’m not really noticing any pop-in off of my 1080 Ti which I’m running the game at 1440p almost maxed out. Is the new patch affecting powerhouse systems or is it people with lower specs feeling the affect even more now?

Kamina

Golden Boy
According to that forum post regarding PC patch 1.05, they claim this patch lowers PC visuals intentionally to match console? That can’t be true, can it?
Dont think thats true as consoles also suffer from downgraded graphics.

I'm not really noticing any pop-in off of my 1080 Ti which I'm running the game at 1440p almost maxed out. Is the new patch affecting powerhouse systems or is it people with lower specs feeling the affect even more now?

I don't have the PC version so I can't verify myself. The best way would be to go somewhere high up, equip the predator bow, spin around and zoom in and look at various things like boats/trees especially/ground.

It's doing this thing where some of it looks good, and then the rest in medium distance/medium-short and definitely high distance looks very low detail. It's extremely inconsistent which makes it basically unplayable (for me) on ps4 pro right now.

As someone pointed out, and I noted at the beginning of this issue, it's fairly telling the Photo mode website is still offline for maintenance ( https://assassinscreed.ubisoft.com/game/en-us/photomode/index.aspx ). That seems extremely odd it would go offline right when this graphical patch occurred. I would very much like to look at everyone's pictures of this game right now that they're uploading. I know I uploaded quite a few with the LOD issue.

Just so silly, because I know the game is capable of looking basically like Zero Dawn if they want it to. It basically looked nearly as good as ZD before this downgrade. ZD is definitely better since it's first party and all, but bah this is such a letdown Ubi did this junk. I just stopped playing and moved onto other games. No season pass for you, Ubi.

sertopico

I think they modified some parameters, but not those for the Ultra settings, only for the lower ones, maybe because they were too demanding and/or were causing problems on older machines. Personally I did not notice any difference playing at Ultra.

I think they modified some parameters, but not those for the Ultra settings, only for the lower ones, maybe because they were too demanding and/or were causing problems on older machines. Personally I did not notice any difference playing at Ultra.

There is a difference, I'm playing on max settings and the pop in is more apparent now. Have to get closer for things to pop in

This happened for HZD too, but it somehow went completely un-noticed by vast majority of community. I even posted on here with a video of comparisons taken on my Pro but didn't get any traction.

Maybe it was because it was basically a week one patch that changed the pop-in distance for HZD and people just didn't know better.

(for real, if you don't believe me then take my challenge, either watch my video showing the difference between unpatched and patched, or just play it yourself. Play through the first part of the game unpatched vs patched and you will notice huge difference in pop-in)

I don't understand why devs do this though, wasnt AC:O running fine on good consoles and good rigs?

I don't have the PC version so I can't verify myself. The best way would be to go somewhere high up, equip the predator bow, spin around and zoom in and look at various things like boats/trees especially/ground.

It's doing this thing where some of it looks good, and then the rest in medium distance/medium-short and definitely high distance looks very low detail. It's extremely inconsistent which makes it basically unplayable (for me) on ps4 pro right now.

As someone pointed out, and I noted at the beginning of this issue, it's fairly telling the Photo mode website is still offline for maintenance ( https://assassinscreed.ubisoft.com/game/en-us/photomode/index.aspx ). That seems extremely odd it would go offline right when this graphical patch occurred. I would very much like to look at everyone's pictures of this game right now that they're uploading. I know I uploaded quite a few with the LOD issue.

Just so silly, because I know the game is capable of looking basically like Zero Dawn if they want it to. It basically looked nearly as good as ZD before this downgrade. ZD is definitely better since it's first party and all, but bah this is such a letdown Ubi did this junk. I just stopped playing and moved onto other games. No season pass for you, Ubi.

I will test this later tonight to see if it works.

There is a difference, I'm playing on max settings and the pop in is more apparent now. Have to get closer for things to pop in

What are your pc specs?

sertopico

Mmmh... I did not see that, to me it really looks identical. Could it be because of your CPU? It is known that having 4 cores only brings a few issues when it comes to the rendering of the distant objects (for example flying ships and pedestrians). Maybe they reduced the load for less powerful CPUs, don't know.

Mmmh... I did not see that, to me it really looks identical. Could it be because of your CPU? It is known that having 4 cores only brings a few issues when it comes to the rendering of the distant objects (for example flying ships and pedestrians). Maybe they reduced the load for less powerful CPUs, don't know.

I wonder the same thing since he has an i5 which has 4 cores. My setup is an i7 4790k, 1080 Ti, and 16gb DDR3 ram and I am not noticing any of those issues.

Valonquar

Played long sessions on PS4Pro this weekend:

The very beginning of the game felt extremely abrupt... I felt like I walked into a movie 10 minutes late or something. I'd comment more on the base storyline, but I've spent about 20 hours ignoring it after getting the assassin's blade on a quest to fill out the entire map, and complete as much side stuff as possible.

The game is huuuuuuge, and there's a lot of variation in locations. Filling out the map, and getting close enough to all the "?" marks for them to show up takes a good amount of time.

The exploration is fun, but I feel like they over simplified climbing now. I like that it's easy to traverse any mountain, but I feel like the pyramids should have been more of a climbing puzzle instead of just holding X for 2 minutes.

The stealth hasn't changed much, but it is still fun as hell to sneak past guards 20 levels higher than you to swipe treasure and get the area xp boosts. Put one guy to sleep with a dart, sick a lion on another, and stroll around the camp during the ensuing chaos.

I think the extra time between this and Syndicate really helped. Syndicate was okay but not great, and I hated Unity's characters/plot entirely. So far Origins seems like more of the same terribad main plot. I know I'm not far in story wise, but I sort of chuckled when the game is called Origins, and your wife gives you the blades used by someone else....

Like the previous few AC games, there's a ton of microtransactions, but they are all either cosmetic or completely unnecessary shit like shit-tier weapons or gold/crafting crap you can easily farm in game.

ABeezy1388

Bought this game for the Xbox One X on sale on BF. Haven't decided if I am going to open it and keep it/play it. Debating to open and play or just return it.

Only Assassins Creed game I played was Black Flag because I love pirate themed stuff. Bought Unity and played it for a mere probably 15 minutes total.

Unsure... hmm...

Only Assassins Creed game I played was Black Flag because I love pirate themed stuff. Bought Unity and played it for a mere probably 15 minutes total.

Unsure... hmm...
I'm about 3/4ths of the way through, and based on what I've seen, I think that pretty much every other AC except the original is better than Origins. (Not that Origins is bad, per se - but its main story is definitely lacking in polish compared to earlier titles. They keep adding in new characters and forgetting to explain who they are.)

If you didn't like Unity, go ahead and return Origins, it's not going to be an improvement.

Top Bottom