• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed Origins |OT| A Far Cry From Historical Fact

Night.Ninja

Banned
Bought this game for the Xbox One X on sale on BF. Haven't decided if I am going to open it and keep it/play it. Debating to open and play or just return it.

Only Assassins Creed game I played was Black Flag because I love pirate themed stuff. Bought Unity and played it for a mere probably 15 minutes total.

Unsure... hmm...

Best AC yet, if you enjoyed the witcher 3 you will love this

ABeezy1388

I'm about 3/4ths of the way through, and based on what I've seen, I think that pretty much every other AC except the original is better than Origins. (Not that Origins is bad, per se - but its main story is definitely lacking in polish compared to earlier titles. They keep adding in new characters and forgetting to explain who they are.)

If you didn't like Unity, go ahead and return Origins, it's not going to be an improvement.

Thank you for the heads up, I appreciate it! I got it on sale for $35.00 so if I didn't like it, its not a huge loss but still would rather have $35.00 in my pocket if its not something I will ever play.

Best AC yet, if you enjoyed the witcher 3 you will love this

Oh man conflicting responses.... I did love the Witcher 3. Amazing game! I still have to go back and finish that. I started up two games, one on PS4 and one on PC... and just kind of stopped. If this is similar though, then maybe I would enjoy it!

Night.Ninja

Banned
Thank you for the heads up, I appreciate it! I got it on sale for $35.00 so if I didn't like it, its not a huge loss but still would rather have $35.00 in my pocket if its not something I will ever play.

Oh man conflicting responses.... I did love the Witcher 3. Amazing game! I still have to go back and finish that. I started up two games, one on PS4 and one on PC... and just kind of stopped. If this is similar though, then maybe I would enjoy it!

I never enjoyed any of the AC games but I did play black flag what I thought weren't bad

Origins is the reason I haven't touched witcher 3 since I got my xbox X and I would probably not have bought the game if I didn't get it free my elite. As much as I'm still going to finish W3 it feels so clunky compared to AC:O

IMO its a 9/10 game

AR15mex

My last AC was Unity,

A friend of mine lend me horizon I wanted to scratch that AC itch. I feel the games are quite similar.

UBITowers

Got to the Icon

Follow the path for cutscene...

In other words, is this one any different? I got tired of Horizon when I reached the desert Area.. and I was playing it in hard, so I want to go back on AC. I heard from different people that the game is good, but if I got tired from Horizon, I don't want to purchase the game and then not playing it. I have seen some quick gameplay videos, and they look like all other AC games.

Any advice?

Should I purchase or naah?

My last AC was Unity,

A friend of mine lend me horizon I wanted to scratch that AC itch. I feel the games are quite similar.

UBITowers

Got to the Icon

In other words, is this one any different? I got tired of Horizon when I reached the desert Area.. and I was playing it in hard, so I want to go back on AC. I heard from different people that the game is good, but if I got tired from Horizon, I don't want to purchase the game and then not playing it. I have seen some quick gameplay videos, and they look like all other AC games.

Any advice?

Well I couldn't finish Syndicate while this is one of my favourite games of the year, take that with caution though as I love rpgs and this leans towards the rpg forumla quite a bit

jayjay275

My last AC was Unity,

UBITowers

Got to the Icon

Any advice?

I haven't played Horizon yet, so it's hard to provide you with a truly informed opinion. But considering that the Witcher 3 is my all-time favourite game, AC Origins is a decent competitor that has drawn a lot of ideas from the success of the Witcher to innovate itself from the problems you've suggested. Granted, it is not as good as the Witcher 3, but if you love the Witcher 3 and its scale, you should like this.

I'm going to say that the story is only getting interesting now and I'm about 2/3 of the way through (I really have no idea, it's an estimate). If you're into exploration then you should like this, because I think that this is where this game shines really.

Dante83

Banned
I am liking this game a lot. I like the setting, from the siwa to the alexandria regions, which looks nice, and of course the pyramids. I have never been more engaged in an assassins creed game since black flag. The environments do make this feel feel fresh and the exploration aspect is just great. Storyline is interesting as well, as is the gameplay, though I wish the frame rate could be better in some areas. Overall, I like it a lot more than syndicate and unity.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I got this when it came out, but I finished two other games instead (Wolfenstein II and WW2). However, my wife finished Origins and she's completing the map now.

She likes it a lot more than Syndicate and Black Flag. I have watched her play a lot of it and I saw her finish it. I for one really enjoy seeing Egypt and Senu is a great asset to have. It helps a lot more than Eagle Vision did IMO. I really like how gear can be upgraded and how you can basically hunt.

The wildlife are fun creatures to see interacting with everything and exploring is rewarding. I say all this because I read a few people question returning their copy or not.

I enjoyed the plot and sure there are times when it's just filler stuff, but it's not terrible filler stuff. My wife loves roaming around and the weekly online stuff are cool.

I like everything I've seen. I will start my playthrough once she's finished. There were times when I would watch her go somewhere like a tomb and it would look like a ton of fun. There's also times where you find something really interesting and it's literally one or two rooms. It feels like they didn't try with a couple areas. There's one in particular that was a huge let down.

The world is put together really well if you ask me. I loved The Witcher series. I gave up on AC for a while. I played all of Desmond's story, but then I just bought the games because they were AC. I bought IV, Unity, Syndicate, and a few others.

I actually got into watching my wife play through Origins. The story won't win any awards, but it's interesting if you understand the AC lore.

They haven't made me interested in the plot outside the simulation since Desmond's series. To me, Origins Egyptian world is a lot of fun. It's a lot of eye candy. Syndicate was a dark game and the flow to everything is a lot better in Origins.

I hate how I watched the majority of the game, but it was neat. I will probably play the game differently (my wife is a completionist) versus myself where I want progression with a good plot. I'll skip that boring quest for something more interesting.

kaiiri

My last AC was Unity,

UBITowers

Got to the Icon

Any advice?

Biggest difference with between Witcher 3 and Origins imo is the story. Witcher 3 has some amazing side quests and main quests.. Origins.. not so much.

I’m an Assassins Creed lore fan so when I heard we were getting an origin story about the assassins I was hyped. What we got was an extremely bare bone cut.

Now gameplay-wise I enjoyed the game quite a bit. The combat was a nice change of pace from the different versions spread across the games. I just wish the story was stronger to pull me back into this world.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Hidden Ones DLC was supposed to be out today. Checked Xbox Live and nothing is there. Not spending $40 on the season pass if that's the only way to get it today.

EDIT: Went to Xbox.com and purchased it from there.

Last edited:

dragos495

Got the dlc last night at release, 5 hours later was done with it, another hour to clear the map of all the "?".

Really liked it! Short and concise! 7.99 well spent.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I just wish the npcs said something other than the 4 lines of text they just repeat all the goddamn time.

Buy me some time, I must push on...

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Got the dlc last night at release, 5 hours later was done with it, another hour to clear the map of all the "?".

Really liked it! Short and concise! 7.99 well spent.
I’m kinda mad because I sold all my crafting material prior to the DLC getting released. Wasn’t anticipating having to craft new things. Looks like I gotta go back to grinding for materials.

Having said that I am pretty pleased with the new area, it doesn’t feel like they half assed it.

Nitty_Grimes

I’ve never been any good at maths but if there’s two pieces of DLC and this was £7.99 and the season pass is £30 - what we getting for the other £22? The second DLC is that much?

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I’ve never been any good at maths but if there’s two pieces of DLC and this was £7.99 and the season pass is £30 - what we getting for the other £22? The second DLC is that much?

The second expansion is $20 U.S. and increases the level cap from 45 to 55. Funny thing is that The Hidden Ones expansion should have increased from 40 to 50 as I easily accomplished that and still acquired four more skill points with a few more points of interest left to discover. Second expansion is also supposed to be bigger which looking at the Atlas, it does in fact look bigger.

sertopico

Because, aside from the two DLCs, you also get all the Ubisoft rubbish like extra weapons and outfits. Most of them are obtainable from the merchant kid anyway, either by doing his side missions, or buying the 3000 coins chest.

Dante83

Banned
Assassins creed origins is by far my fave assassins creed game along with black flag. There is just something about the environment design of ancient Egypt that makes it feel so immersive compared to the previous 2 games dense cities that got stale after a while. They were also good, don't get me wrong, but not as engaging as origins. I wish the series focus more on vast natural environments than city style building environments in the future going forward. This game along with black flag were very atmospheric and well made IMO, and this game made me get excited for the dlc and I downloaded the hidden ones dlc, which is a rare feat as I usually ignore dlc contents for assassins creed games.

Zimmy68

Does the new DLC level you up based on what you have gained after hitting 40?
I have probably gotten 6 or 7 extra skill points, would it just up me to level 45 since I would have hit that threshold anyway?
I highly doubt it but if the DLC is short, it would be a grind to go up 5 levels this late in the game.

dragos495

^
No. You start at lvl 40. But in a few hours you get to 45. You get ability points from doing map stuff as well. ANd the xp from the quests is massive, like 22000xp, etc

If it didnt stop at 45, i wouldve been 50+ in thos 5 hours i played.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Because, aside from the two DLCs, you also get all the Ubisoft rubbish like extra weapons and outfits. Most of them are obtainable from the merchant kid anyway, either by doing his side missions, or buying the 3000 coins chest.
Yeah the original idea behind a season pass was that it gave you all expansions at a discounted price upfront.

For AC:O the first expansion cost $10 and the second will cost $20. An ideal season pass price would be $25. Instead Ubisoft is charging $40 for the expansion, because it includes 2 or 3 $7 costume packs, which I can’t see too many people buying separately since I already have elite gear.

For me I am buying the two expansions separately. The costumes just aren’t worth the extra.

HurtPotato

Neo Member
Yeah the original idea behind a season pass was that it gave you all expansions at a discounted price upfront.

For AC:O the first expansion cost $10 and the second will cost $20. An ideal season pass price would be $25. Instead Ubisoft is charging $40 for the expansion, because it includes 2 or 3 $7 costume packs, which I can’t see too many people buying separately since I already have elite gear.

For me I am buying the two expansions separately. The costumes just aren’t worth the extra.
I'm hoping that they release a third expansion. The second DLC releases in March and if they release another AC game in the fall of 2018, that is a pretty large gap between the second DLC and the release of another game.

Last edited:

Unity2012

I am just going to say it, this is by far my favorite game of 2017. There is so much to it, so many details and places to go, things to do. Bayek is one of my favorite characters and the Egypt setting is fascinating. I like the fighting and the upgrade system. I am over 50hrs and I just realized I haven't touched half the map yet; and I just got the new DLC. It's easy to support developer's teams of this quality.

HurtPotato

Neo Member
I am just going to say it, this is by far my favorite game of 2017. There is so much to it, so many details and places to go, things to do. Bayek is one of my favorite characters and the Egypt setting is fascinating. I like the fighting and the upgrade system. I am over 50hrs and I just realized I haven't touched half the map yet; and I just got the new DLC. It's easy to support developer's teams of this quality.
I’m 104 hours into the game and I’m still discovering things as I go along. This is definitely my best game of 2017 by far. Bayek has grown on me so much and he’s now one of my favourite protagonists from an AC game.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'm hoping that they release a third expansion. The second DLC releases in March and if they release another AC game in the fall of 2018, that is a pretty large gap between the second DLC and the release of another game.
If they do another expansion (unlikely) it will not be included in the season pass.

PooBone

I finished the game, mostly enjoyed it, and I just want to say I'm way more excited for the historical guide/tourist mode releasing via DLC than probably any other game coming this year.

EDIT: Are the expansions worth purchasing?

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I finished the game, mostly enjoyed it, and I just want to say I'm way more excited for the historical guide/tourist mode releasing via DLC than probably any other game coming this year.

EDIT: Are the expansions worth purchasing?
So far only one is out and it's a well spent $10 if liked the main game.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
What makes you think it’s unlikely?
Because Ubisoft (to the best of my knowledge) has no history of doing additional expansions beyond what they promise in the season pass. They typically have all of their expansions out with 3-5 months of the games release.

Ac Origins will have two expansions:
Hidden Ones which is now out
And another larger one in March

There is no reason to expect anymore.

After that AC: Origins chapter is closed while the studios put their resources into the next AC game.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Guys, I'm in the DLC area but how do I get back to the main game / map?

Last edited:

HurtPotato

Neo Member
Because Ubisoft (to the best of my knowledge) has no history of doing additional expansions beyond what they promise in the season pass. They typically have all of their expansions out with 3-5 months of the games release.

Ac Origins will have two expansions:
Hidden Ones which is now out
And another larger one in March

There is no reason to expect anymore.

After that AC: Origins chapter is closed while
Ah I see. I won’t expect too much then, possibly some light content. But a large expansion would be a nice surprise.

ickythingz

Banned
This is now tied with favorite AC, Black Flag. I do lament the loss of more stealth focused features and the parry system is missed. The daily/weeklies are a nice touch as well.

Armorian

Banned
Just cleared up starting location, so far it's shaping up to be one of the best AC games and I just played like ~1% of the game. Maybe it fucks up later on so I can't be to excited :)

Top Bottom