• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Origins PC performance thread

Fray Bentos

Neo Member
Wasn't going to buy this as i didn't think the last one was that good, glad i did as its is an amazing game.

ASUS ROG Strix Z270H GAMING
Intel Core i7 7700K "Kaby Lake" Quad Core with HT - Overclocked to 4.8GHz
11GB EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 GAMING
16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz DDR4
250GB Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD
1TB SanDisk Extreme PRO SSD Sata III
2TB HDD Seagate BarraCuda

dEvAnGeL

i7 2600k 4.5, 980 ti, 16 gig ddr3 @ 1600, windows 10 64.

Only settings dialed down are environment details to very high and shadows to very high, adaptive quality to 60 fps, I turned this on since it says it only dials back AA, resolution modifier at 120%, on the nvidia control panel i have vsync on, pre rendered frames to 1 and anisotropic filtering to 16, so far i get a locked 60 aside from cutscenes, it drops to low 50s sometimes on cutscenes, playing @ 1080p, using latest driver.

Will update later on when i get to bigger cities to see how it fairs.

Jebral

I have:

4670k at 4.5ghz
16gb ram
Gigabyte G1 1080
Installed to my ssd

I have everything maxed outside of environmental details. Even if i set it to very low, I still dip to 40 or 45 at 1080p with no resolution scaling while in civilized areas. Heck, very low all around still doesn't get a solid 60 all the time and environmental details seem to more cpu taxing... so there they go!

Has anyone got any idea what other settings may affect cpu usage?

Guffers

I have:

4670k at 4.5ghz
16gb ram
Gigabyte G1 1080
Installed to my ssd

I have everything maxed outside of environmental details. Even if i set it to very low, I still dip to 40 or 45 at 1080p with no resolution scaling while in civilized areas. Heck, very low all around still doesn't get a solid 60 all the time and environmental details seem to more cpu taxing... so there they go!

Has anyone got any idea what other settings may affect cpu usage?

Congrats on a fast 4670k! I could never get mine to be stable past 4.2ghz. I have a 1080ti and was having similar issues to you. Even on very low performance wasn’t a locked 60. I ended up locking it to 30 and turning absolutely everything to max (sans AA as I’m at 4K). It looks gob smackingly good and it literally never dips below 30. Clearly that is the frame rate Ubisoft designs their open world engines around.

Would you consider locking at 30? Because I’m not sure we are going to be able to tweak this game to get a consistent 60.

Congrats on a fast 4670k! I could never get mine to be stable past 4.2ghz. I have a 1080ti and was having similar issues to you. Even on very low performance wasn’t a locked 60. I ended up locking it to 30 and turning absolutely everything to max (sans AA as I’m at 4K). It looks gob smackingly good and it literally never dips below 30. Clearly that is the frame rate Ubisoft designs their open world engines around.

Would you consider locking at 30? Because I’m not sure we are going to be able to tweak this game to get a consistent 60.
Why go all the way down to 30? Game has a built in 45fps limit which will look and feel much much better than 30.

kuYuri

i7-4790K
GTX 1080 Ti
16GB RAM
3440x1440

Ultra settings, G-Sync OFF:

C0Ag1Gt.jpg

Very High settings, G-Sync OFF:

Ultra settings, G-Sync ON:

Very High, G-Sync ON:

The Dude

Gettin 57 to 60 in 4k with a few tweaks. Still if this is what these devs are gonna do and push cpus then I'll be upgrading soon

sgs2008

Gettin 57 to 60 in 4k with a few tweaks. Still if this is what these devs are gonna do and push cpus then I'll be upgrading soon

What are the settings you tweaked? Currently getting 45-60, maxed out on a Titan x(pascal) would like to keep it closer to 60

Jebral

I've settled on locking the game to 30fps, but there were a few odd things causing some stutter... The in-game vsync and using rtss to cap to 30. I switched to using Nvidia control panel vsync and the game's built in 30fps lock only. Now I'm getting a consistent 30 instead of a stuttery 30. Oddly enough when using the in game cap to 30 rtss reports 31fps, but that is the smoother experience, so I'll take it!

Running around Alexandria now seeing if I can keep resolution scale cranked to 200%. Looking like I can :)

Guffers

I've settled on locking the game to 30fps, but there were a few odd things causing some stutter... The in-game vsync and using rtss to cap to 30. I switched to using Nvidia control panel vsync and the game's built in 30fps lock only. Now I'm getting a consistent 30 instead of a stuttery 30. Oddly enough when using the in game cap to 30 rtss reports 31fps, but that is the smoother experience, so I'll take it!

Running around Alexandria now seeing if I can keep resolution scale cranked to 200%. Looking like I can :)

Woah that’s an insane resolution scale! I tried going past 140% and it started dropping frames like crazy. No doubt because my base resolution is 4K. Settled at 120 for a perfect locked 30.

And yeah the science of getting a smooth, stutter free 30fps seems quite random. To me it seems like there is a different combination of tools needed for every game. The in game lock was horrible for me, locked at a stuttery and jittery 31fps. I’m now using Nvidia inspector for both 1/2 refresh vsync and the 30fps lock. It’s now really smooth and enjoyable to play. I know that a gsync monitor would solve all of these problems but I’m pretty happy with my 40 inch 4K at the minute. I’d have to lose a lot of screen real estate to get gsync.

beeswax

Got this running great now on a 5820k/1080Ti at 60fps, resolution 140% (base 1080p). There was every such a slight amount of hitching going on with the Ultra High preset but dropping shadows 1 notch got rid of that.

The CPU usage in this game is insane, it's making great use of all 6 cores/12 threads. Some things I noticed about the benchmark tool:

(a) it's pretty much useless as I was able to ace the benchmark with a solid 60fps using 160% res scale but was able to observe significant fps drops within 5 mins of wandering around the first town (in a fairly basic looking interior of all places). 140% gives me solid 60fps in all areas I've been to so far (wandering around the second city atm).

(b) the 'grading' you get seems to be based on some assumptions the game makes based on it's own settings. So if you use the in-game v-sync and FPS limiter, a solid 60fps gets you a "very high" but if you use nvidia CP v-sync and RTSS, it considers a constant 60fps either 'low' or 'stable', depending on wind direction.

It looks fucking incredible though, best looking game I've played in a long time.

bwat47

Neo Member
Anyone else have stuttering they can't get rid of in this game? Nothing works... locking to 30 fps, adaptive quality, lowering settings, using borderless window, using RTSS to lock fps... none of it works. Anyone else seen this?

GTX 1070, 3570k @ 4.2, 16 GB RAM, Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

Set AA to medium and disable the adaptive AA quality, the adaptive quality seems to be bugged and causes huge frametime variations.

I have a 6700k, 16gb ram and a gtx 1070 and with AA at medium and everything else maxed I get consistent 60+ fps at 1080p. The only stuttering I get now is occasionally in cutscenes when the camera is panning, in gameplay always smoooth.

I had the game crash my operating system twice, has anyone else encountered any crashes while playing?

Had one crash while in photo mode. Game and PC just froze, alt tabbing or ctrl alt del wouldn't work.

Is this better looking fhan unity? Is the animation still poor like in the previews?

Might not be as detailed but I haven't got to the main bits. Better than Syndicate.

You might like the AA, highest setting seems to have good temporal combined with a high resolution.

Danone

Neo Member
R9 390X and i5 4460 here. I already knew I had to limit FPS to 30 since I had to do the same with Watch Dogs 2. 4 cores aren't cutting anymore, especially with the level of detail they're putting in the open world (Origins probably have the best draw distance I've ever seen).

The built in benchmark is extremely buggy for me with a lot of frame drops and stutters but actual the gameplay is stutter free, at least in the first town. My main problem is with this annoying buzzing sound I get some times, it looks like mane people are experiencing this. It's too distracting

Had one crash while in photo mode. Game and PC just froze, alt tabbing or ctrl alt del wouldn't work.

Might not be as detailed but I haven't got to the main bits. Better than Syndicate.

You might like the AA, highest setting seems to have good temporal combined with a high resolution.

Yeah computerbase said the AA is great

Coolade

I have had 2 bsods and numerous CTDs. Not great really. Think I’ll have to wait for a patch...

Ok, thank you for the feedback. I had to ask for a steam refund because I couldn't trust the game not to hard freeze my computer. Everyone else seems to have no issues so I thought, so at least I know it's just not my PC. I guess the best course of action now is to wait for a sale in the future when hopefully its been patched to fix that problem.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Is this better looking fhan unity? Is the animation still poor like in the previews?

Were not gonna get an Assassins Creed game that looks better than Unity this generation.
Mark my words mate.
Unity was aiming way way too high. Syndicate and This are lets say realistic and safe goals.

I actually hope the studio behind Unity make the next AC with Unity as their benchmark graphically and crowd simulation wise.

Danone

Neo Member
Were not gonna get an Assassins Creed game that looks better than Unity this generation.
Mark my words mate.
Unity was aiming way way too high. Syndicate and This are lets say realistic and safe goals.

I actually hope the studio behind Unity make the next AC with Unity as their benchmark graphically and crowd simulation wise.

I think Origins does better than Unity in both draw distance and lightning departments. I find the bright colorfulness of Origins much more appealing than the cinematic feel they tried to achieve with the two previous games.

dEvAnGeL

well, my locked 60 went to shit when i got to Alexandria, dips into the low 50s, even if i set everything to low i still get dips.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I think Origins does better than Unity in both draw distance and lightning departments. I find the bright colorfulness of Origins much more appealing than the cinematic feel they tried to achieve with the two previous games.

Lighting?
Do you remember any of the large interiors scenes of Unity...to this day they are some of the most beautifully lit set pieces ive ever seen.
In screenshots they look lig CGI bullshots but playing the game it was so crazy that it looked that good.

Also Paris had a very very different outdoor theme so if your preference is what Origins TOD is then that cant be argued.....but the lighting in Unity is def better.

Danone

Neo Member
Lighting?
Do you remember any of the large interiors scenes of Unity...to this day they are some of the most beautifully lit set pieces ive ever seen.
In screenshots they look lig CGI bullshots but playing the game it was so crazy that it looked that good.

Also Paris had a very very different outdoor theme so if your preference is what Origins TOD is then that cant be argued.....but the lighting in Unity is def better.

Interior scenes are amazing in Unity, but you can see it truly shines in closed ambients with baked lightning here. Considering most of the game takes place outside, Origins is the champion when we're talking about dynamic lightning

Lighting?

Unity is still such an amazing looking game. Even better now that is can be played with very little issues.

Davedough

If this isn't the correct thread, please let me know. I bought this through Uplay, so the Steam overlay shouldn't be an issue. I'm having multiple problems just getting it to launch. I haven't even been able to play at all yet. My PC is a little old but not horrible.

i5 4690K @ 3.5
GTX 970
8Gb RAM

At first it wouldn't launch at all. It would give the first splash screen and try to synchronize, go to the second larger splash screen for a second and then crash with an Ubisoft crash report window.

I tried:
Clean install of nVidia drivers
Verified files
Reinstalled Uplay and ACO from my D drive to my system C drive
Updated all drivers
Tried running as Admin and various compatibility levels
Disabled Uplay overlay
Tried playing with Uplay offline
Installed Fall Windows 10 Creators update

Now it goes to the small splash screen and a small circle in the lower right spins and nothing ever happens. Processes show the exe is being used at about 1-3% but it nevr goes beyond the splash screen. I let it sit for 30 minutes, nothing.

My googles are coming up empty. Anyone have any ideas?

The only thing I've found that makes my performance better is lowering the resolution scale. At 70% from a 4K base resolution and everything else on high, I get about 60fps pretty much everywhere. I've played up to the mission before you get to Alexandria and it's smooth. At 100% the framerate can go as low as 30fps but on average 35~40ish fps.

I5 4690K 4.1GHZ
16GB DDR3RAM
GTX 1070
Windows 10 64 Version 1703

KingV

Since so many people are having problems getting this to 60 FPS, I wonder if that rumor on the drm causing cpu usage to spike is true.

Even pretty old cpus are so much stronger than jaguar cores, that’s pretty disappointing

The only thing I've found that makes my performance better is lowering the resolution scale. At 70% from a 4K base resolution and everything else on high, I get about 60fps pretty much everywhere. I've played up to the mission before you get to Alexandria and it's smooth. At 100% the framerate can go as low as 30fps but on average 35~40ish fps. Vsync ON. 60fps cap

I5 4690K 4.1GHZ
16GB DDR3RAM
GTX 1070
Windows 10 64 Version 1703

Adding to this, my CPU load on core 1 was at about 70% ish.

Edit: At 80% still getting about 60fps. 50 ish in crowded areas in Yamu. I'm happy with the performance thus far.

Here's a screen.

I get a 25+fps boost just lowering the resolution scale.
4K/ High/very high 100%
EfCYK.png

4K 70%
Ef6qc.png

Coffinhal

Anyone tried this with a 1070 and a 3440x1440 screen ? Is it better than Syndicate and Unity where 60fps were difficult to get to ?

b0uncyfr0

Is it a coincidence that the game is VERY cpu intensive - ? After reading Voksi's post, something might be up:

"About AC: O, one guy at cs.rin.ru send me the binaries of the game and asked me which version of Denuvo the game uses, so I decided to take a look. I found it very strange when I saw that VMProtect layer over Denuvo only because Denuvo dropped VMProtect early this year. I thought it's some desperate move by Denuvo but it seems now that Ubisoft could have implemented it themselves, tanking your game performance by a lot, especially if they hooked Denuvo and VMP to time-critical functions of the game. So, if you have high cpu usage while playing the game, this is the reason"

Interesting indeed! I have no intension of starting a war - just passing on info.

Tankshell

I've given up playing this for now, it freezes my system and CTD far too often. Have not had this happen with any other games.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
I've given up playing this for now, it freezes my system and CTD far too often. Have not had this happen with any other games.

Is your CPU overclocked ?
If yes, that could mean this OC is unstable, and as the game uses more CPU than other games then this instability is triggered often.

A few years ago my 5930K could handle 4.6 GHz without any crash for months, then I had to go down to 4.5 GHz, now to 4.4 GHz to avoid freezes.

Tankshell

Is your CPU overclocked ?
If yes, that could mean this OC is unstable, and as the game uses more CPU than other games then this instability is triggered often.

A few years ago my 5930K could handle 4.6 GHz without any crash for months, then I had to go down to 4.5 GHz, now to 4.4 GHz to avoid freezes.

I have a 6850K, not overclocked (haven't touched a thing since getting it as I haven't ever needed to). It still ramps itself up to 4.1Ghz when under load using its own Turbo Boost (or whatever intel calls it), but that's it.

Top Bottom