• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Red devs reportedly using Japanese consultants for "cultural authenticity and sensitivity"

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
RbRXW98GZLTsJX9wwqFmSA-1200-80.jpg.webp

Assassin's Creed Red is reportedly being developed with Ubisoft Japan and local consultants "in the interest of cultural authenticity and sensitivity".

That new claim comes from Axios (opens in new tab), citing two sources familiar with the development of Ubisoft's upcoming game. According to the outlet, Assassin's Creed Red developers will work with consultants and collaborate with Ubisoft's Japanese studio on the new project.

However, as the Axios report makes sure to point out, it's unclear to what extent the advisers or collaborative developers will shape Assassin's Creed Red. Considering the game is still at least two years out from launch, there's plenty more development road left to cover for the team just yet.

Ubisoft has always been a lot of pussies but I guess it’s better than the “change into your Slave outfit for this mission” from Liberation.

SJRB

Gold Member
In before the retards start yelling about “cultural appropriation” like when Sucker Punch released Ghost of Tsushima.

It won't matter to the blue hairs, they'll still find a way to work themselves up into an indignant outrage no matter what you do to appease them.

yurinka

Ubisoft always uses consultants and experts for every culture that appears on all their AC games. So yes, it's fair to assume they'll continue doing in this and all the other future AC games.

i hope they consult my boy

Some info about this guy, it was dumb to have him playing on an E3 conference but seems he's a master of this kind of traditional Japanese flute:
http://www.komuso.com/people/people.pl?person=1849

I'm pretty sure Sucker Punch did the same thing with Tsushima.
Yes, they did. And looking at the success, praise and awards it got in Japan they did a great job.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Would be weird considering how much GoT apes AssCreed. it will be like apeception.

lol yea I was just going to say that.

I love Ghost, but anyone trying to pretend they were not influenced by Assassins Creed's formula must be on drugs or something. The series has moved record units, won many awards and it would be weird for Sucker Punch not to see at that series when making Ghost.

AC being in Japan is more likely a given then Ghost Of Tsushima ever even existing. I'd say AC Japan was a huge inevitable based on how they are going around the globe for these stories. So I always find it funny when folks try to pretend AC RED is because of Ghost Of Tsushima...

Ghost didn't invent Japan, they didn't invent open world light RPGs either lol

Ubisoft always uses consultants and experts for every culture that appears on all their AC games. So yes, it's fair to assume they'll continue doing in this and all the other future AC games.

Some info about this guy, it was dumb to have him playing on an E3 conference but seems he's a master of this kind of traditional Japanese flute:
http://www.komuso.com/people/people.pl?person=1849

Yes, they did. And looking at the success, praise and awards it got in Japan they did a great job.

Agreed. Looking at what they've done with their past games, they seem to be one of the few publishers in gaming that has done this many, many times with many countries.

Not many games of this size are period pieces and Ubisoft seems to do a lot of them and in the future seems to want to continue that.

Haggard

Banned
With every release of an AC game i want to ask why people play the same game with visual upgrades over and over again...then I remember that FIfa, Madden and NBA exist.....

hemo memo

Gold Member
With every release of an AC game i want to ask why people play the same game with visual upgrades over and over again...then I remember that FIfa, Madden and NBA exist.....
Because it is not the same game and it is ridiculous to compare it to FIFA and Madden and NBA as all they do is copy and paste where AC create new worlds and story for every game and that alone is enough that people buy and enjoy them. Also AC pretty much changed to an RPG now and pretty much every title after that transition was solid. I don’t understand the hate for recent AC titles honestly on here. It is bizarre.

Majormaxxx

Actual Japanese folks won't mind, no, they will actually welcome, another game based or inspired by their culture. But the western activists, of Asian descent or not, will surely cry cultural appropriation. At least ubi is getting an insurance against the harpees this way.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Wish they did the same with AC Valhalla instead of just copy paste Vikings.

Portugeezer

They're covering their asses, but the press sneak fucks will still find a way to complain about some sort of appropriation.

kyussman

This shouldn't be too much for them......just make sure everyone is wearing those silly big hats and you're golden.

Kokoloko85

So they are hiring Japanese people, for the sensitivity of western folks lol.

Cause I doubt most the Japanese care, it will be the Social warriors who will care more.
Its a good idea to hire someone regardless for better accuracy, but I just find it funny “Sensitivity“ is defo for the western babies

Last edited:
Top Bottom