• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate Just Got Pro Support

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Edit: Patch is all fucked up at the moment, will keep updating below.

Version 1.50 just dropped, patch notes are:

### Added 4K support on PlayStation 4 Pro

Good of Ubisoft to go back to their older titles, hope there's more to come.

Will update OP with screenshots soon.

Update, looks like it's just HUD resolution that's improved:
So yea just tried it and it looks very weird. The minmap seems to be native 4k but the game itself looks very pixelated. Here is a screenshot:

assassinscreedsyndicao9u3a.png

When you zoom you can see each individual pixel. Also this seems like it's still running in 900p.

I think it looks worse than before :(

I also checked the options menu for a 4K toogle but didn't find anything.
So those artefacts seem to be some sort of 4K upscale. If you compare the 1080p capture and the 4K capture, you can see the 1080p capture doesn't feature them (though is obviously sub-native).

1080p:
assassinscreedsyndicaaesch.png

4K:
assassinscreedsyndicayfs35.png
Update 2: Nearest neighbour scaling appears to be to blame for the artefacts at 4K.
The weird pattern likely comes from using nearest neighbor upscaling.

Yup.
2.4x Nearest neighbor gives identical pattern to classic 2x2 BW checkerboard. (900p to 4k)
2yMkqAc.png

Simple bilinear scaling would be a lot better.
Update 3: The patch is SUPPOSED to be rendering at full res on 1080p screens and 2K upscaled/uprendered to 4K on 4K screens. So something's clearly bugged at the moment.
Something wrong, the patch notes on the forum says its dynamic 4k with improved framerate.
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.ph...ate-1-50-PS4-Pro-Only?p=12065571#post12065571
Update 4: Patch notes now detail exactly what we're supposed to be getting.
Update 5: NXGamer did an analysis and found the resolution to be 1440x1620. That's a much higher vertical res than the original game but lower horizontal, resulting in a worse image on both 1080p and 4K screens.
Friend of Neogaf, NXGamer, did an analysis and found the game runs at 1440x1620 on the Pro, with no change on the base PS4. Performance is marginally better but drops in the same areas.

Curiously, despite this being a higher resolution in pure numbers, the lower horizontal resolution means it looks worse, even at 1080p. NXGamer says there's an increase to IQ for 1080p screens, but I don't find this to be the case. There's a weird, blocky look to the pixels. I'd rather have a native 1920x1080.

Here's some comparison screens I took (different time of day, so don't judge graphical differences, but resolution problems are still immediately apparent):

Original
assassinscreedsyndicabks8v.png

Patch 1.5
assassinscreedsyndicas2s91.png
Update 6: Digital Foundry investigates with the same findings.

artsi

Damn, hopefully more FPS stability too. I guess I should finish the game now.

Older titles getting Pro support warms my mind.

iTehDroiD

Neo Member
So yea just tried it and it looks very weird. The minmap seems to be native 4k but the game itself looks very pixelated. Here is a screenshot:

When you zoom you can see each individual pixel. Also this seems like it's still running in 900p.

Neifirst

I'm holding off on new purchases with FFXV finally arriving next week, but will certainly pick this up, along with most older titles that enable pro support. 4K is the real deal!

d9b

Banned

Something is not right there. WTF?

robotrock

Banned

So it's the same but the HUD is rendering in 4K? I'll take it.

wtf is this Ubi?

artsi

Pro support?

l93OtXn.gif

Why would you do this Ubi?

kkfhrbA.gif

EmiPrime

Wait, just because it's running at a higher resolution? Wait at least for DF to confirm (or somebody else) if the game is able to hold 30 fps.

I was going to buy it eventually anyway (I am half way through Unity), a Pro patch just moves it up my list of priorities.

bombshell

Dafuq? That almost looks like pixel art lol

Idontknowwhatiexpected.gif

d9b

Banned

It's happening again!..
d9b.jpg

iTehDroiD

Neo Member
Apparently the QA team of Rainbow Six: Siege siege tested this update...

That means no one actually tested this

Guymelef

They are learning from World of Final Fantasy dev team.

Shari

What a surprise huh. Not even a resolution bump is easy apparently.

Hopefully cerny said it was no time. Must be true.

bomer

Anyone confirm this? Seems like an awful solution given they just patched dynamic res into the AC Ezio Collection :(

Top Bottom