• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate leaks early, PS4 impressions not... great.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
No offence to the person who created the topic but why on earth are we putting so much emphasis on some random guys impressions when we have several people here on gaf that have got the game early and are giving their own impressions?

because it's easier to do instead of find out the truth, and it fits peoples' narrative. As if the Assassin's Creed franchise grabbed their mommy's titty.

So does this review not include the day one patch everyone gets when they buy the game, Am I missing something or is your review not complete?

SomTervo

I appreciate it.

Well, it might just be a case of a negative impression floating to the top. I wasn't aware we had that many.

People are no-doubt still salty from Unitygate last year, so it's understandable. But the selfsame people should also get some damn perspective.

This thread's title and OP don't help at all. It's like preaching to the converted.

A few current players say it's still just an OK game, but even they are like 'this guy's opinion is wack'.

So does this review not include the day one patch everyone gets when they buy the game, Am I missing something or is your review not complete?

It's not a legit review. He's just a guy. His impressions are also all pre-patch, unlike the others who playing.

No offence to the person who created the topic but why on earth are we putting so much emphasis on some random guys impressions when we have several people here on gaf that have got the game early and are giving their own impressions?

Other than replying to the very first post, OP completely abandoned the thread. It's the same thing as drive-by posting, just drive-by thread-shitting.

Any member could snag any Reddit post that amused them, slap it on GAF as a new topic, and watch the chaos unfold. Fortunately, this is typically a place that respects well-founded sources. If you haven't already guessed from OP's tag, he is not known for that.

Linkyn

14 or so hours.

Thank you, should be interesting to see. I'm really conflicted on this one. I have a lot of love for the series, and want the games to be good, but at the same time, it feels like a few good kicks could help them get back on track.

Its the one impression that fits his opinions so he has to blast over the loud speakers so everyone knows

My only opinion is that Unity's narrative was garbage and that I have high hopes for Assassin Gangs of London.

I've bought every game in the AC series except Rogue and gave enjoyed them to various degrees save for the narratives post Revelations. Which are all such trash.

Other than replying to the very first post, OP completely abandoned the thread. It's the same thing as drive-by posting, just drive-by thread-shitting.

Any member could snag any Reddit post that amused them, slap it on GAF as a new topic, and watch the chaos unfold. Fortunately, this is typically a place that respects well-founded sources. If you haven't already guessed from OP's tag, he is not known for that.

I was working and then was surfing in OT a bit. Chill.

If GAFers have positive impressions, no one is stopping them from posting them. I'll happily amend the first post and include them there and a mod can change the title.

I apologize for the emotional distress caused.

oti

Banned
OK. I'd rather wait for some gameplay and other opinions to be honest. That GB QL and Kotaku review will be critical.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I love how day 1 patches have been a fact of life for almost every game that has come out for the last several years, but it's only when AC does it that it's indefensible.

If only game companies would sit on their games once they go gold and update them a month later this could have all been avoi...wait.

Day one patches have been here for quite some time. And they ain't shit. Let the devs work.

NexusCell

Honestly, I wish you didn't make this thread, ignoring the fact that its basically just fuel for people who already don't like AC to hate more on AC, its basically useless due to the fact that the person admitted that they played the unpatched version. Why not just make an AC Syndicate impressions thread, and then give some impressions from both GAF and youtube videos that are clear evidence of its current performance.

Also, all the shit Syndicate is getting about patches is laughably when I see the Witcher III day one patches and how everyone still rides that game hard.

It really is. Played it for four hours now, and it performs significantly better than Unity. Main missions and side missions have been quite fun as well.

No offence but this is the same shit people said about Unity in the OT. They got me to buy in and it ended up being the same bullshit all over again

If you're enjoying it that's great but I'm not falling for it this time

FWIW I actually enjoyed Unity for the first 5 hours or so until the story started deteriorating and the game became a chore

Frillen

No offence but this is the same shit people said about Unity in the OT. They got me to buy in and it ended up being the same bullshit all over again

If you're enjoying it that's great but I'm not falling for it this time

FWIW I actually enjoyed Unity for the first 5 hours or so until the story started deteriorating and the game became a chore

Well the last part is obviously subjective, but honestly, it performs a hell lot better than Unity.

Well the last part is obviously subjective, but honestly, it performs a hell lot better than Unity.

That's fair. As bad as Unity performed I honestly thought the gameplay was just broken in general. I was constantly fighting with Arno to make him do what I wanted

If they've significantly changed that this time around then I'm interested. But based on the gameplay vids it looks extremely similar to me

If GAFers have positive impressions, no one is stopping them from posting them. I'll happily amend the first post and include them there and a mod can change the title.

I apologize for the emotional distress caused.

LOL @ mischaracterizing everyone as "emotionally distressed." C'mon, dude. You're getting put on blast for posting some since-discredited nonsense Reddit screed and now you're trying to deflect. There was an active thread with loads of impressions and you chose to ignore it just to kick the proverbial bee's nest. No one is distressed, just sick of users shitting up an otherwise top-notch place for cogent discussion.

GAF has a plethora of high-quality and well-researched threads and opinions. Enough of the obvious bait and shit-stirring. People are just trying to discuss a game without all of the "LOL Ubishit!"

yurinka

Hopefully this is the last Assassins Creed.
Sells like 10+ million copies every year (including last year with all the Unity criticism) and they develop several of them at the same time.

For sure, they will stop making AC games today because of a random reddit post throwing shit to this game. Makes sense.

LOL @ mischaracterizing everyone as "emotionally distressed." C'mon, dude. You're getting put on blast for posting some since-discredited nonsense Reddit screed and now you're trying to deflect. There was an active thread with loads of impressions and you chose to ignore it just to kick the proverbial bee's nest. No one is distressed, just sick of users shitting up an otherwise top-notch place for cogent discussion.

GAF has a plethora of high-quality and well-researched threads and opinions. Enough of the obvious bait and shit-stirring. People are just trying to discuss a game without all of the "LOL Ubishit!"

You are right, I am deflecting. I boned up, I cop to it

Assuming that the game actually runs this badly (emphasis on assuming) on the PS4, what does that say for the Xbox One version?...scary thought...cancel your pre orders people.

Lakitu

st5fu
I'm glad it's getting a lot of positive buzz but it just doesn't stop me from being utterly bored with the series now. Getting through Unity was a slog. Just bored of the gameplay and the constant bombardment of things to do (hopefully they've rectified that anyway).

sjay1994

I think AssCreed will out do Fallout

I will be stunned if it does.

An AssCreed coming out after the Unity debacle, looks underwhelming because of how little it is doing, is going to outsell the game people were clamoring for for more than 4 years, and was literally the only reason many people watched the Bethesda E3 conference.

Jobbs

Banned
Just to be fair, if he's playing it early it's unpatched and there may well be important day one patches. I'd be willing to grant them that benefit of the doubt.

I'm glad it's getting a lot of positive buzz but it just doesn't stop me from being utterly bored with the series now. Getting through Unity was a slog. Just bored of the gameplay and the constant bombardment of things to do (hopefully they've rectified that anyway).

Some how I doubt that. I've grown bored of Ubisoft's open world formula as a a whole a long time ago.

As long as these titles keep selling, I fear Ubisoft will not be motivated to rectify anything.

nubbe

I will be stunned if it does.

An AssCreed coming out after the Unity debacle, looks underwhelming because of how little it is doing, is going to outsell the game people were clamoring for for more than 4 years, and was literally the only reason many people watched the Bethesda E3 conference.

I mean in bugs, obviously :p

sjay1994

The Gamespot Lobby is probably the best impressions you can get.

Basically "if you are in the mood for another Assassins Creed game, this one is pretty good. However if you are looking for something that elevates the bar of the open world like MGSV or Witcher 3, you will be dissapointed"

And after MGSV, I don't think I can play another AC unless I see some huge changes since it looks so mediocre in comparision in terms of gameplay. The game is jack of all trades, master of none. Its stealth is virtually useless unless you want to increase the difficulty of a mission by doing its side objectives.

Otherwise, you can just beat the shit out of everyone and call it a day.

Setsuna

But metal gear solids open world is complete and utter trash. Its the only open world game I have ever playd that failed as an open world game

sjay1994

I mean in bugs, obviously :p

Well, in that case I am incredibly biased against Bethesda, since launch day Skyrim PS3 was probably the only time I ever felt like I was robbed. They reduced a lot of effects in Syndicate to avoid another unity debacle.

sjay1994

But metal gear solids open world is complete and utter trash. Its the only open world game I have ever playd that failed as an open world game

I mean in core mechanics. MGSV has amazing core mechanics.

The dream open world game for me is something that combines the core mechanics of MGSV, with the story telling of Witcher 3.

ironcreed

Banned
This board is addicted to shitting on AC. One user impression warrants a thread, really?

It's funny, there are two active threads already with positive impressions being posted from others who are reviewing and playing it. But a new 'this game is shit because random Reddit guy says so' thread is exploding. Meanwhile, we don't even have an official OT yet.

z69873840042.gif

It's funny, there are two active threads already with positive impressions being posted from others who are reviewing and playing it. But a new 'this game is shit because random Reddit guy says so' thread is exploding. Meanwhile, we don't even have an official OT yet.

z69873840042.gif

Yeah that's what usually happens. To be fair though any "This game is super fucking glitchy hyperbole posts" across the internet lead to very populated threads. People flock to hyperbolic stuff. Kinda of funny reading the reddit post and see the arguments people got in with the guy, lol.

sjay1994

Some how I doubt that. I've grown bored of Ubisoft's open world formula as a a whole a long time ago.

As long as these titles keep selling, I fear Ubisoft will not be motivated to rectify anything.

I am wondering how long its going to take, or if ubi is just complacent in making games that sell rather than something exceptional.

People are catching on to the ubi formula that is in all their games, and its effecting reviews. A lot of far cry 4 reviews were like "this is basically more far cry 3, which is fine, but they can't do this again"

Like, they have to change this formula soon, otherwise its going to affect sales for their open worlds as people will get sick of it.

Or I am completely underestimating the amount of people who are still ok with the formula, and aren't tuned into game discussion... because almost everywhere I look where games are discussed, people are sick and tired of this formula.

Head.spawn

Yeah that's what usually happens. To be fair though any "This game is super fucking glitchy hyperbole posts" across the internet lead to very populated threads. People flock to hyperbolic stuff. Kinda of funny reading the reddit post and see the arguments people got in with the guy, lol.

...and then they'll buy it anyways. The game will sell truckloads and then around September 2016 next year a leak will come out about the next Assassins Creed being buggy... so on and so forth.

Nerix

Day one patch will fix it all... /s

But seriously, let's see and wait until we read the first reviews. A bit premature to judge the game based on that first impressions.

Dmax3901

Sure we know that AC games are now something to avoid, but do the die-hard AC fans know this yet? Only when people stop buying the damn games will Ubisoft change anything.

Makes me so mad. They got such a huge negative reaction to Unity and they have the gall to do it all over again a year later? Fuck them.

Here are the impressions from the other thread. I'll put them in the first post as well:

Well, got the opportunity to play AC:S for couple of hours:

Sigh...honestly, I feel that AC:U (patched) is the better game here. This just feels so...old. Like almost nothing has changed for the better. Lighting is so much worse now than in Unity, and it can really be felt especially atmosphere wise. Character models...same thing. Jank...as bad as ever. Missions...same boring shit with the same shit AI. UI...you guessed it - NO, actually it is somehow WORSE...luckily you can adjust the HUD though. Unity at least had some "next-gen" things going on...actually the closest I would compare this game in many ways is Revelations.

Sure, there are some (not many) new ideas but they lack any impact because the general feeling is so "last year". Anyway, can't say that I'm disappointed as I had no expectations whatsoever. 6-7/10 game...at best

EDIT: Also, one thing that really gets super annoying is the repeating enemies. Sure, it's been the same in every AC but here it is somehow worse than before. You're fighting that big bald dude, the female one, the cane ones etc...all in the stupid same red outfits over and over again. Especially because those red dudes are everywhere in the streets and attack you on sight...seriously this is not cutting it anymore in 2015 - not when many other games do it so much better. I mean come on even in Batman: AK there is more enemy variety and that itself could get quite repeating/annoying.

Admittedly I didn't put much time into the game, but so far missions were either usual shit or something with a new topping on them to feel them better.

One thing I noticed yesterday that I didn't like was this. Besides my leveling up skills and gear I noticed, that districts of the town under control of Templars have their levels as well. And sure enought I bumped into a small gang of 6 level thugs and began fighting. But it felt like bad MMO or RPG design. Being two levels short my kukri did veeery little damage with every hit, but enemies were more agressive. So I spent like two or three minutes trying to kill them, until more came in and I fled. That was super wierd for AC game and I don't approve this design as of now, but again, I didn't play the game for too long.

What I like that every small mission has additional tasks just like Unity did or MGS V does.
Like if you have two targets - killing them both with one attack, or something like that.

Good lord, I just encountered a bug 5 minutes in. The FPS suddenly dropped to like 2-3, with strange audio sounds/glitches in the background. Had to quit to the menu and restart.

A rough start Ubisoft!

Other impressions:

- The framerate seems good otherwise though.

- I like that they skipped right to the 19th century after only about 5 minutes. I'm personally not a big fan of the present stuff.

- The controls seem surprisingly smooth. The main character actually does most of the things I want him to, in regards to the parkour. An improvement compared to Unity.

- Movement is a tad slow though.

just some very quick bulletpoints because I am really pissed by all the seemingly unwarranted hate the game is getting:eek:n reddit and on gaf these days (and it's not even out yet)

- finished the full game last weekend (PS4)
- day one patch (1.11) is ~250mb (some people don't appear to have it installed)
- does not look as good as Unity but it's still pretty (it's by no means "ugly" as everyone on the internet currently makes it out to be)
- framerate appeared to be smooth with the occasional dips here and there, noticed no terrible slowdowns
- no major glitches for me during my initial playthrough (carriages physics are admittedly wonky, yes)
- parkour is smoother, still clunky, but way better than Unity
- I personally like the setting, Jacob is an idiot, Evie is just lovely, together they make a good team

any questions? just shoot

I really liked what they did on the audio side, everything feels homogeneous - you'll hear ambient music every now and then but I am not sure you'll have it outside of missions - have to pay attention to that some more, sorry, but I am tempted to say there was ambient music throughout the whole game

sorry, I cannot get into too much detail about this
minor spoilery plot spoilers in spoiler tags
typical Assassin's Creed storyline - you meet many important people from the time period - important historical figures will be killed/saved/rescued/abducted - Jacob and Evie have different goals in London

I never liked the modern stuff, to be honest. You are forced to watch some of it at the beginning and, for me at least, it kind of clicked. Rebecca and Shaun are kinda neat. I guess you have to like the idea of the "modern day plot" in order to appreciate it. At least they are trying to tie up some lose ends (and, in doing that, of course create some more)

- The game seems to have less "in your eyes" pop ins compared to Unity.

- yes, LOADS of codex entries (and they're funny, too, if you're into Rebeccas/Shauns humour)
- sneaking is still "meh" but some (Evie's) missions enforce it nicely - AI is still shit
- yes to the cover thingie but I have rarely used it
- whistling is back, dragging is back (but still useless)
- haystack - maybe :)

- yes and no - it is still cluttered but not as much as Unity

...and then they'll buy it anyways. The game will sell truckloads and then around September 2016 next year a leak will come out about the next Assassins Creed being buggy... so on and so forth.

Lol, pretty much! As the Star Child said in Mass Effect 3,

The cycle continues!

I am interested in the game myself, but I will most likely wait until next summer to pick it up

Top Bottom